Butterfly

Love, Haneul (사랑의, 하늘)

Jongdae and I arrived near the Han River, he was holding my hand like glue.

“What are we doing here?” I asked, confused at the sudden destination. He looked at me and smiled, “Nothing.”

“Nothing? Jongdae, you always do this and it’s getting irritating.” I let go of his hand and started walking back, hoping that wherever I was would reach me home. Yet again, I didn’t expect him to stop me.

 

“Stay and explain to me, I promise I would listen this time.” He sounded so sincere, I soften as we sat at a bench. “Now, tell me.”

“I don’t know why I did it, I just had to like a feeling. Curiosity is sometimes dangerous, it’ll lead you to an unexpected results. Either bad or good, this time it was bad to me and please do not let Minseo get involved in this, I asked for advise and I took it without considerations of anyone else’s feelings. Majority of everything I did this was to have revenge on a guy, I liked him, I was about to return my feelings to him assuming he was waiting but the next day… he had someone else already and he wasn’t the type of guy I thought I knew,” I paused and took a deep breath before telling him again. Boy I was so nervous, “When I told him, he said I was too late and that he moved on and found someone else already. I found out who he was and he was a big jerk, always preying onto girls who are vulnerable and innocent, he found one and I was going to give back and let him feel the wrath of how I felt. So I made a fake profile, without knowing adding everyone I know and don’t know. Then in that circle, you were there and started talking to me or sometimes Minseo but mostly me.”

 

I couldn’t bear to even look at Jongdae’s face, he was really listening to me. For the first time, he was doing things that were not him and a more mature of him.

I continued, “When you talked to me, it felt you were happy and I didn’t give a damn but as days passed by and I felt bad because you were the only one talking while that jerk only answered short ing to me. I was really ticked off so I decided it wasn’t working until your fans or whatever found out, figures. So, what I did was to ignore and I hurt you so bad. Jongdae, you know you’re gullible and… I’m sorry, I don’t know where this is going but all I have to say is sorry. I am really sorry, if you want to cut off contacting me, I am fine with that because I deserve that and…”

He shut me off yet again, this time he was kissing me. I couldn’t help but smile in between, I think I could get used to it.

 

“You’re smiling,” he said and smiled too. I was so embarrassed and looked away, gosh why?

“No! You should be mad at me, I was too blind by revenge.”

“I am mad but I can’t stay mad at you forever, right after everything… I realized that you were the only one I think of everyday and it’s weird, when we didn’t talk for what seemed long – you only understood my problems and I am glad it was you behind that fake profile. If it were someone else, I would probably get pretty ticked off. I mean, there are a lot of fake profile trying to talk to me when they could just talk to me in school but yours was different,” he said while chuckling in the middle. That was nice to hear from him, I was glad things are slowly alright.

“I forgive you okay?” he held my hand and kissed it. “I also know that this is the weirdest conversation I’ve ever had.”

 

That we laughed it off, we hugged it off at the end and walked back to my house.

“Go, it’s already past 10 in the evening. Your parents will be looking for you,” I said as I let go of his hand but he pulled me into a tight hug.

“I should be the one worrying, you’re alone until tomorrow night and that’s the only time your parents are back.” He gave a peck on my forehead.

“I know, bye, go,” I shooed him but he bounced back and hugged me. But there was one question that was always in my mind since last night, “Jongdae?”

“Hmm?” he hummed and looked at me.

 

“About last night, why’d you kiss me?” I didn’t want to look at his face, it was pure embarrassment and he probably thought why am I asking this.

“Because I come to a realization that I like you, for a very long time,” he said to me straightforward. My eyes widen, he likes me for a very long time.

“How long was that? You’ve had like dozens of girlfriends over the past few years and you and I have been best friends, our bond is so tight.” That was weird of me saying that. He laughed thinking it was cute, “Yeah, remember we met at the rain for the first time? You were practically pissed about something and just stared at nothing but rain. I seemed to be interested.” He only smiled, recalling the moment.

 

“But when I was with my ex-girlfriends, it never felt right, when I am with you it finally does,” his face and ears turned red. I and I regretted the next, he tickled me until we stopped because we hear my neighbor’s dog barking.

 

 

“Minseo, how are you?” I greeted her cheerfully in the library, we were at our secret office at the back.

“Great, suddenly the controversy has beaten down and I am thankful for that. People started being nice once again,” of course she said it sarcastically, the end part of the sentence. I only nodded and helped her arrange papers, then she looked at me weirdly and I looked back questioning, “What?”

“Oddly strange, you look happy and glowing,” she placed the palm of her hand to my forehead.

“It’s nothing, shut up and continue piling,” I pushed her hand away.

 

She prevented me from further piling of papers, and sat on the table. “Maybe, you and Jongdae are in good terms now?”

Of course I wasn’t gonna lie to her, I wanted to tell her but I was too giddy. So, I nodded and hid my face behind the papers. “Okay, I’ll believe that” she shook her head at how weird I was.

 

After school, I walked home alone. Supposedly going to Soora’s café but I was too tired from the library work and I wanted to rest. Guess who was following me, Kim Jongdae.

“You know, you could just walk beside me.” I turned to him, he stopped walking like he pretended getting caught as he laughed and ran to me and put his arms around me. We continued walking to my house.   

 

To Be Continued