Chapter 6: If You

The Perfect Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haraboji stood up instantly gaining everyone’s attention. “I would like to propose a toast” he raised his glass as everyone did the same. “I’ve been waiting for this moment a while now so you can all understand how excited I am.” Everyone laughed seeing how Seunghyun’s grandfather was talking so fast. “I want to wish for my grandson Seunghyun to live a long happy life next to Sun Hee. The perfect woman to complete the perfect couple. Cheers!” he tilted his head back as he emptied his glass.

“Cheers” everyone said in unison before following Haraboji’s lead. Once the glasses were empty they all shouted and hollered in joy. They clapped loudly as Seunghyun and Sun Hee too emptied their glass.

Seunghyun stood up and offered his hand to Sun Hee so she could join him. “I would like to thank all of my family for supporting and being here today to celebrate our engagement” he looked around the room filled with all the beautiful Choi women and their families. “Also our friends” he looked over at Minho and Yoogeun who smiled back at him.

Sun Hee blew a kiss to Yoogeun who in return gave her a heart making everyone coo over the adorable future ring bearer.

Everyone clapped once more in appreciation for Seunghyun and Sun Hee.

“Now let’s start this party” Yenny yelled out into the room as she and others began to fill the dance floor.

***

“Seunghyun I want to apologize to you for having treated you the way I did.” Seunghyun’s father was told of everything that actually happened and felt bad for having tossed his son aside.

Seunghyun still held resentment towards his father. “I don’t know why you are apologizing Appa. Is it because of Haraboji? Did he tell you to apologize?”

“Of course not Seunghyun, I just feel bad that I kept blaming you for angering your grandfather with all the unpleasant news when in reality you yourself were a victim.”

“I don’t understand” he smirked. “You already treated me that way before. You only stopped after I started dating Sun Hee and then after the incident we had you went back to criticizing me.”

His father sighed, “Seunghyun I only did that because I love you. You are my son, my only son. I felt I had failed my father when I was only able to give him one grandchild but he was overjoyed when you were born and he finally had a grandson. He was giving everything to you.”

“What does that have to do with how you treated me?”

“I had to make sure you were nothing but successful in order to keep your grandfather happy. That’s why I kept sending you to that school. Even though you hated it because of the bullies that made fun of you being fat I needed to make sure you went to the best and showed your grandfather how great you were. It pained me to see you suffer Seunghyun but it had to be done.” He remembered how much Seunghyun would plead with him to change schools but he refused and told him to stop whining and toughen up. “Then you suddenly began smiling and started talking more. You lost weight and got good grades. At the time I didn’t know it was because of Sun Hee but the change was amazing. Your grandfather decided he wouldn’t just give you the company but the mansion as well when he knew you were changing because you had gotten a girlfriend. He thought you were going to everything I couldn’t be.”

His smile then faded, “Then when your engagement broke off and your grandfather found out what the cause was… he became angry. All the hope he had for the future went away. He stopped eating and stayed in his room until I told him the Idea of the Perfect Couple Computer. Then he started to live again and was tough on you but only because he wanted to help you the same way I had when you were younger.”

Seunghyun exhaled deeply. “This stupid curse bull is making you all insane. All because of that you two put pressure on me my whole life. You two know how it feels to have all that burden on your shoulders.” He tapped his fingers on the table before stopping to ask something he knew would probably upset his father. “I mean is it really that bad to not have a son? So what if there are more women in our family. What if I actually want to have a daughter?”

“Your grandfather strictly put it in his will that even while he gives his property and possessions to me I can only continue to benefit if I give him a grandson. That clause of his will continued onto the next generation as well. Your grandfather wants to make sure at least one person can continue the family name. Daughters eventually enter another family and take their name. Sons give theirs.”

He understood what his father was telling him but he didn’t like how much his grandfather would insist on him and Sun Hee quickly having a child. He loved the idea of having a child with her but he wanted it to come naturally when they wanted and when it was meant for th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter