Chapter 1: Somebody To Love

The Perfect Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was early in the morning when Sun Hee arrived at a tall building and rode the elevator up to the 17th floor. When she got off she was greeted by a female secretary that was sitting at the front desk.  “Ms. Song the chief has been waiting for you.”

“I know I’m late” she responded as she speed walked over to the door at the end of the hall. She didn’t even bother knocking and barged in. “I’m here! I made it” she raised the USB in her hand over head in triumph.

Minho looked over at her with disbelief at how she had entered his office. “This is how you show yourself after I extended your deadline?” He got up and circled around Sun Hee. “Faded sweatshirt, running shoes, and that horrible bun of yours. I told you already, when you come to the office you have to be presentable.”

Sun Hee looked down at herself. “At least I didn’t wear sweatpants this time” she laughed but stopped instantly as she saw Minho didn’t find it funny. “Sorry Min-”

“No” Minho put his hand up to stop her.

Sun Hee huffed in annoyance making her cheeks puff out before deflating. “M-mr. Choi” she said the last part in a whisper.

“Is that so hard?”

“Mentally yes” she nodded. Sun Hee hated how although she and Minho had been friends since college he had strict rules. When it came to business he was serious, he didn’t allow her to call him by his name. She was to call him Mr. Choi and when she would go to the office or attend any meetings or events for the company she had to make sure she was professional. That meant dressing like a grown-up.

Minho sighed as he shook his head slowly. “Your books sell so well because you yourself are practically a child.”

Sun Hee laughed in annoyance and talked through gritted teeth, “I’m taking that as a compliment because if that was an insult I would have to go out there and show your employees what you looked like in college.”

Minho laughed as well knowing they were just empty threats. “It really is a good thing you are in touch with your inner child. It benefits us both financially.”

“I’m glad it helps somebody.” She undid her bun and shook her head from side to side making her long hair fall down past her shoulders. “I really worked all night. I didn’t have the time or energy to get dressed up.” She fell down on the couch inside his office and sighed. “You know this is the only way I can work.”

“I’ll let it slide this time.” Minho walked past her taking the USB and sat at his desk. “Aren’t you going home now?”

“Not yet… I want to stay a while.”

Minho was hesitant but ended up asking what he wanted to. “You don’t want to be alone?”

Sun Hee laid her head back against the couch and closed her eyes as she nodded.

Minho remained silent for a while as he looked through his e-mails. He knew what was wrong with Sun Hee. She usually was very energetic and talkative, even if she was tired. After four long minutes of silence he spoke up. “I know what today is.”

Sun Hee turned towards him surprised by his words. “You do?”

Minho nodded. “Your birthday was two weeks ago. Three years ago today, Seunghyun proposed to you.”

The thought of it all made it hard for Sun Hee to breath. Just three years ago she was dreaming of becoming a bride to her high school sweetheart and having children who she could tell bedtime stories to. Now instead she is writing books for other parents to read to their children. “I should be over it already but I’m not.”

“It’s understandable. You were together for four years. I understand how you feel from experience.”

Sun Hee then looked at Minho with sorry. She could see he had pain in his eyes. “I’m sorry Minho. Here I am like this over someone who is still living when you went through worse.” Minho had lost his wife three years ago, around the same time Sun Hee’s incident went on.

Minho smiled trying to lighten up the mood. “At least I wasn’t left completely alone. After all, Jaeri left me Yoogeun. I couldn’t ask for more.”

Sun Hee smiled in agreement. “My god son really is the best.” While she didn’t have a child of her own Sun Hee made it through these difficult years by pouring her love to Yoogeun. Both Minho and his wife had asked Sun Hee to be his god mother when Jaeri first found out she was pregnant.

At the time Sun Hee was still engaged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter