Day 38

Gone Missing

Day 38

 

> Mio <

 

I'll admit, I was a little nervous about meeting Taehyung the first time. What I was about to tell him I wasn't sure how he would react. When we did finally see each other, back in my old home again, I broke the news as to why I was acting odd the other day; that Sunggyu grew some feelings for me.

 

"I didn't plan for him to like me, that was his own doing. And I can't force someone right out of it either...but I absolutely don't like him back, if that's what you think." I closed my mouth before I went off talking off a little too much. He didn't say anything but continue staring at the ground.

 

"No, you don't need to explain any more. I know you don't see him that way." I breathed a sigh of relief. However, I continued to see his unreadable expression. When he looked up his eyes softened on mine a little.

 

He told me he already discovered that accusation. When I asked he told me how he caught Woohyun once under suspicion of a drug deal and told him a way to get Sunggyu in the SIU. "He implied in you being bait for Sunggyu," Taehyung explained. "which, when I discussed this with everyone else, isn't a bad idea." a small smile grew on his lips, making me frown more.

 

"Me being the lure is a good idea?" I retorted. "then tell me, what's this plan of yours?"

 

"I'll tell you." motioning me to lean closer he whispered into my ear, this so called idea of his. When he finished he pulled back, waiting for my reaction. I looked at him, in complete shock. It sounded risky, but then again me being undercover was risky anyway.

 

Now it's my choice whether or not I would take the dangerous chance. "I'll go with the plan." I say. Before he called SIU I had another thing to say to Taehyung so I stopped him briefly.

 

"However, before we start it, I want to go back and fix a few things there at Borderline. I made a mess when I joined them... the least I can do is to clean up what I started." he scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion, his mouth agape. I held his hand tight, looking at him straight in the eye.

 

"Please, can you just wait a little bit longer?” I was nervous, but in my head I had little hope he would agree. After a minute or so that passed he exhaled a long drawled breath, squeezing my hand back. Coming closer he pressed his lips against mine in a passionate but sweet kiss, one that sent blood rushing to my face that made me have tinted cheeks.

 

I trust you Mio. Do what you need to do.” he said.

 

Promise you'll wait?”I asked one last time.

 

I promise. Or I'll let Hina cut my throat if I break it.” he smiled. I laughed by his remark.

 

So be it.”

 

>>>>><<<<<

 

Sungjong pulled me over where he was sitting down on the floor, asking me to help him with the money they've collected for the past few exchanges he did. While I counted for the last stack of bills I brought up the question: “Sungjong. Do you really like this job?”

 

Hm? What do you mean by that?” he asked, attention still at the bills.

 

It's just, out of curiosity, was there anything you wanted to do in the world the most besides this? If you had the choice, would you change how you're living now?”

 

Sungjong sat on his after kneeling for so long, his legs spread out in front of him as he leaned against his open palms. “Yeah, I actually did want to change my life if I had a choice.” he smiled soft. “to be honest, I thought I would be happy getting this job. But turned out I didn't at all. I'm just here, trying to make good use of it when reality I kind of hate all of this. I'm just so sick and tired of fighting, running away... what I ever want is to be happy again. I missed my innocent days.” he sighed. My expression lowered, unsure as what I could say. So this guy in front of me with the most cheerful shell on the outside; is actually pure miserable on the inside.

 

He then smiled at me. “What's with the weird atmosphere, Mio?” he shook it off, back to his regular joyful expression. “if you're done with the money, you can give it to me and I'll send it over to the bank account so it could be managed to profit in Sunggyu hyung's stock.” with a nod I told him thanks and when he left I took a deep breath before moving along to the next person.

 

I asked casually what Sungyeol wanted the most if he had the choice to choose, to which he said he wanted to always travel to Hong Kong. He never had the chance to go out with his parents when he was little, for they were always going on business trips.

 

Dongwoo said he always wanted to ride a motorcycle, for apparently driving a regular car wasn't 'exciting' for him. Says the person who drives almost everyday for the entire company out. Yeah, I get what he means.

 

Myungsoo wants his own training studio for his weapon defense, because he felt that the studio for Howon wasn't large enough for the both of them. Not to mention, that there were complications when it came with the mats around the room. Let's just say that knives and punching bags don't work well together.

 

Howon had a particular goal he wanted to do, which was visit the shrine up north to meet up with his old martial arts teacher. He admired his teacher and looked up to him, though that person retired just when Howon was about to receive the black belt and never was able to get it again since. In a way he wanted to redeem it, which I found the most touching story I heard thus far.

 

Lastly, there was Woohyun. We were on good terms, for the most part. Although he still acts rather cold to me it seemed a lot lesser than before, which was a process. I spotted him talking with Dongwoo about something, until I heard 'my house' that made me come up and join in the conversation. “Where are you going, Woohyun?”

 

He's just going to get something from his house, and I'm just going to drop him off.” the latter explained.

 

Great. Drop me off too.” I say without hesitation. They both then stared at me.

 

Um, you're not coming.” Woohyun interjected, but I rose my eyebrow in a questionable look. Sighing he mumbled a few words under his breath.“aish, whatever. You can come with me...I guess.” without another word he slipped into the front seat, whereas Dongwoo still continued to stare. Soon he broke into a chuckle and shook his head, allowing me to go in first.

 

Entering Woohyun's home the first thing I smelled was of the fading plaster of the walls. It had that comfortable atmosphere, not too much extravagant furniture but well rounded chairs and decorations that made it very 'home' like. As he disappeared off somewhere to his bedroom I stayed put in the living room, walking around to see the picture frames lined up along the wall of the shelf. There was one picture of a little boy hugged behind from an older boy, the youngest showing his toothy grin.

 

Coming back he said he got what he needed and before he went to grab his shoes I stopped him. “Is this you and your brother?” I asked, pointing at the picture.

 

He shuffled closer, as he fumbled with his jacket. “Yeah. That was the first picture we've took together since my parents left. The older boy is Boohyun hyung.” he said.

 

Wow, it's such a cute picture. Looks probably run in the family then.” I complimented. He never said anything, yet with a glance I can tell he was blushing. Standing back straight up again I turned to him fully.

 

“I don't even need to ask you what you want the most out of this. I can already tell.” I say. “you don't want to be alone. That's what you really want, isn't it?”

 

Woohyun gazed down, his hands clutched to the side of his jeans. With a wry smile I placed my hand on his shoulder, and with that he flinched, but didn't retract by the sudden action.

 

I took a deep breath. “Your brother... he'll come back. He needs you as much as you need him, so be strong enough until he returns back home. Show him how well you were without him so he could be happy.” already I wrapped Woohyun in a half embrace, and he showed no resistance.

 

D-do you think so? Will he really come back home?” his voice came to a timid voice. I nodded.

 

I'm sure of it.” I smiled. We stayed like this for a little bit, a little moment of reassurance for him. Because right now I would be the guide to hold his hand out of the dark. I kept him in the light of opening up, and I want it to stay that way. Even when I leave I want him to remain in the light, not in the dark any more.

 

>>>>><<<<<

 

Back in Sunggyu's office I got dismissed off work early so I decided to clean up his papers on his desk. Most of them were just old scrap and I threw them away. I rearranged his pens and what not on his desk, all the way to the mismatched documents in the drawers.

 

Suddenly the door opened and Sunggyu walked in. Quickly I stood up, for his eyes were on me. "Ah, hello Sunggyu-ssi." I bowed.

 

"You're still here? I thought you would rest at your room by now." he said, noting he still addressed me without the honorifics. Reaching over for a glass at the tray I swifted over and poured water for him instead.

 

"I still have a little bit of energy left. Maybe for another couple of hours or so?" I pondered.

 

After one last gulp he set the glass down and strolled past, looking over at his desk. "Did you even fixed what's in the desk too?" he rose his eyebrows in surprise. With a nod he breathed a sigh of relief. "oh, so I'm glad you didn't see the pictures I took of you while you slept." with a teasing smile he took off his blazer and placed it on the side of the lounging chair.

 

I gave him a look from behind. "Yah." I say, frowning.

 

I'm kidding.” he joked. I scoffed, crossing my arms. I mumbled off how that was slightly a rude prank to pull, but that just earned me a rather amused Sunggyu walking past. Soon I heard the grandfather clock ring it's bell 3 times, signaling that it is already 7 in the evening.

 

I noticed Sunggyu standing near his desk, trying to take off his tie. The more he fumbled with it the more agitated he looked, furrowing his eyebrows in deep concentration. Enough seeing him in struggling I just walked over and spun him around so he could face me.

 

Immediately his hands dropped to the side when I took over the little situation. Calmly I loosened the top, unraveling the bottom. I brought a smile to my own lips, seeing how quiet he became after putting off a way to tease me. I glimpsed at him in front of me to see that his cheeks were blooming pink; trying to look away for he seemed a little uncomfortable.

 

You don't have to thank me. I just got tired seeing you struggling over this.” I say. He soon spoke up, but rather softly.

 

I heard that you went around talking with the others. Some sort of psychiatrist now?”

 

I shrugged. “I was just curious about the others. Did you not want me to?”

 

He pursed his lips, shaking his head. “No, I'm wondering why you never counseled me.” he pouted, giving me a some what cute puppy look. I rolled my eyes and smirked.

 

“Okay, I'll do it right now. Mr. Sunggyu, what do you want most in the world if you were given the chance?” his eyes soften on mine as he held my hands in place, fingers sprawled in holding my wrists.I was taken back by the sudden action, my heart beating quicker each minute.

 

All I ever want is for my mother to be well.” I relaxed my surprised expression, and giving me another smile leaned in. “thank you for asking me. I feel grateful.”

 

N-no problem.” I stuttered, feeling a little flustered. Before I turned away he gave me a quick peck on my cheek, which then I jumped back; putting a hand over my open mouth. I asked what was that for, and soon his little smirk came back.

 

It's my payment for the appointment. And for punishment for doing something without my consent.” with a pat on my shoulder and a little laugh he left the room, leaving me confused to dissipating into annoyance. Aish... I rubbed my cheek.