Shhhh!

"Sorry for Being Late, Seonsangnim!"

   Hani paused just in front of the library's double glass doors to catch her breath. "This is a library, Heeyeon; don't cause too much noise." She reminded herself as she pulled one of the doors open.

   As soon as she stepped inside, her eyes scanned the place and started to roam around. The library has this white walls that would make you remember of the very first hospital you feared when you were younger. Several paintings claimed their spaces on the wall, many of them, Hani could name. There were big, wooden bookshelves that make you question your height.

   Hani went to the reading room inside the library; it was a cozy room with a furry blue rug as floors and there were many sofa's and glass coffee tables that looks like something you see in cafe's. There were lots of students inside, reading something and doing their projects, but Hani paid no mind to them since she was only looking for one person in particular. Heck, she doesn't even know what the top student looks like. She should've asked someone earlier.

   But since she has no time, she thought to ask the person nearest to her about it. Said person was diligently answering her book. She looks familiar to Hani, just by seeing this person's straight, black hair. And so, she approached this person, nervously gulping in the process.

   "E-excuse me, but do you perhaps know who the top student in second year is?" Her voice came out surprisingly softer that what she expected. The girl looked up from her book and stared at Hani for a few seconds. Hani suddenly remembered her. It was the person she bumped into earlier!

   "Are you Ahn Heeyeon?" The girl closed her book and tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear, never breaking eye contact. It made Hani think that maybe this person stalked her and knew info about her to plan revenge, all because of her stupidity earlier. 'I should've apologized more sincerely!', Hani thought.

   Hani bowed in front of the girl. "I'm sorry, please don't hurt me!" And then she heard an echo. Was it that quiet in here or was she just too loud? Either way, when she looked around her, everybody's eyes were on her. She can even hear what some of them were talking about.

   "Scandalous!" the girl who said this looked amused, grinning at her friend beside her.

   "Who in their right minds would talk like that in a library?" the owner of this voice stood up and went to a chair farther away.

   "The girl looks pretty. Kind of sad she embarrassed herself though." The boy 'tsk'ed' with his friend and proceeded to read whatever he was reading.

   And then she heard a mean girl-sounding voice from her right. "What would she do to the top student for her to think she would hurt her?"

 

   Wait, what? This person she bumped into earlier was the top student? Surely, she'll be the school's talk for a while. The girl looked startled, her eyes darting anywhere but not at Hani. So Hani sighed in defeat and gave a sad smile. God, she was more embarrassed than her (obviously)! She faced her back to the students around them to prevent herself from embarrassing herself more.

 

   As soon as the other students went back to their own businesses,  Hani sat down beside the girl (who was still too shocked from what happened) and cleared . Silently, this time.

   "I'm sorry, I guess I've always been a loudmouth, eh?" Hani whispered. "So, you're the top student that Dr. Park referred me to?"

   "Ah, that's right." She finally found the courage to look at Hani again. "I'm Junghwa. Park Junghwa." Hani coughed at the mention of the girl's surname. 

   "You know, I feel quite bad for you for having that surname. You and the boring- professor share the same last name." Hani quietly laughed. She turned to see Junghwa laughing silently along, too, her eyes already becoming a line from so much laughing.

   "Oh, I know. And sadly, the boring- professor you are talking about is my father." 

   Hani stopped laughing. She suddenly felt nervous again. But she swore the laughing Junghwa she just saw not a minute ago was not fake. "I'm sorry!" 

   If only Hani could see herself right now, she would best laugh at herself. Because this Junghwa person sure was enjoying seeing her reaction; a guilty expression was painted on Ahn Heeyeon's pale face.

   "Anyway," Junghwa opened her book to a page where a paper was kept. "So you're Ahn Heeyeon, right? I checked the items you were wrong in the test. They were easy, if only you tried to listen to, um, Dr. Park."

   "Call him your father, I find it awkward to hear you call him 'Dr. Park' after knowing he's your father, you know..." Hani scratched her cheek. "And I don't even need someone to tutor me; I will listen to him if he starts showing me a reason to make me give him my respect again..."

   "Listen, until he gives you that reason, I'll stay with you to help you with your academic problems. I can help you too with personal problems if you want me to." Junghwa smiled at her. It was a bright smile that makes her look charming and gorgeous and---

   "Wait, aren't I the unnie here?" She kept her voice down. Hani crossed her legs. She didn't notice how long she spent sitting with her legs open.

   "Yes, but I would gladly help you with whatever, Heeyeon unnie." Junghwa felt her cheeks heat up. The reason why, she did not know.

   "Call me Hani instead." She grinned. She checked her wrist watch. "Hey, it's 5:30pm already. Do you have a room in the dormitory or do you go home?"

   "Ah, you're right, it's getting late. I stay at home. Father must be waiting for me in the faculty room. I better get going, unnie." She started to gather her books. "Maybe we should start our sessions tomorrow? Every dismissal?"

   "Sounds good." Hani stood up as soon as Junghwa did. Hani flashed her a good bye smile. "See you tomorrow,  um, in the library again?"

   "Definitely not!" Junghwa mischievously said. "We wouldn't want to be talked about again!" they started to go out of the reading room. "The field would make a good substitute. You seem like you've been holding some remarks that require loud voice earlier."

    When they reached the glass doors, Hani opened the door for Junghwa, seeing that she would've struggled with her books if she tried opening it herself.

   They said their goodbyes and parted ways. Junghwa took the path going back to the school grounds, and Hani went straight towards the dorm.

 

 

   Hani found that the door was locked when she reached her room. She banged on the door. "HYOJIN-AH OPEN THE DOOR."

   The door opened. "Shhhh Heeyeon. I thought your dismissal was 4:40pm? Did someone ask you out without me knowing it?" LE smirked.

   "No. Dr. Park referred me to her daughter!" Hani landed on her bed, laying motionless. Ah, the comfort of your own bed.

   "Dr. Park asked you to date her daughter?!?!?!?!" LE's smirk grew wider, mischief in her voice. "I prepared dinner by the way." She prepared a plate on the table with chicken on it.

   "I failed Biology, and Dr. Park asked Junghwa to tutor me." Hani lazily sat up from her bed and walked towards the dining table. She ate with LE in shame, knowing that her unnie would scold her upon hearing the news.

   But instead of being scolded, what she heard was "What?! It's THE Park Junghwa, THE brains of the second year and THE team captain of the archery team. What kind of chain message did you not pass to get this kind of bad luck?" She was exaggerating it, with knitted eyebrows and big hand gestures that would make her look like she's doing an interpretative dance if you're watching from afar. Hani swallowed what she was chewing on.

   "She seems nice," Hani tried to change the topic. "I shouldn't worry about her first impression on me. It's not l-like I like h-her or something..." 

   "Did you just stutter?" LE was now laughing that evil laugh, with her eyes almost closed and opened wide. The kind of laugh Hani didn't want to hear. "Oh my, didn't know you purposely planned on failing Biology to get close to her!"

   Hani stood up, throwing the bones of her chicken in the bin and leaving her plate in the sink. She lay on her bed and closed her eyes. "Shhhh," Hani buried her face in her pillow. "Stop talking nonsense, Satahn. Good night."