Why?

"Sorry for Being Late, Seonsangnim!"

   Hani attended her class the next day. And surprise, for the first time, she was on time. As soon as she opened the door, her classmates commended her with "Amazing! You aren't late today, eh?", "Are you planning something, Hani-yah?" and "I wonder if you're secretly going to meet with a suitor before class starts." She brushed off the last one, because she HOPED she had one currently.

   She walked to her chair and dropped her bag onto the floor. She sat down and stared blankly across the room, on the whiteboard, thinking what could possibly happen this day. Her fingers were tapping her desk unconsiously, eyes not moving away from the whiteboard, mind running on finding a way how to waste time while classes haven't started yet. She suddenly remembered she didn't attend any classes yesterday. Might as well ask any of her classmates about the lessons she missed yesterday.

   Everyone was currently busy talking with their friends. Hani turned around. Luckily, one of her classmates, Lee Jaehwan, was in his seat, doing what seems to be his homework or something. Hani, at first, thought that Jaehwan was someone serious. But maybe we shouldn't judge the book by its cover. We shouldn't judge the food by its wrapper. This guy has a very genuine attitude, a chatterbox, and is undeniably good-looking, at least to Hani's books. She also heard him singing last week, while she was on the way to the dorm. He has a good voice, a soothing one at that. Maybe she can ask him what she missed yesterday.

   "Jaehwan-ssi,"

   "Just call me Ken." He gave Hani a small smile. "What is it, Heeyeon-ssi?"

   "Just call me Hani." If he wanted her to call him informally by his nickname, might as well return the favor. "If you don't mind, I want to ask what I missed yesterday?"

   "Me." Ken laughed. But some of her classmates started screaming. 

   "What?" Hani didn't want to sound rude, but she honestly didn't hear what he said. 

   "No, it's nothing." He laughed again. Hani knew this guy was someone who would always want to lighten up someone's mood, and someone who would always shoot (lame) jokes, but sadly, she didn't hear whatever he said because her classmates where literally freaking the f out by the door. Whoever was outside the door, better be worth screaming for.

   "Yah! Heeyeon-ah! Someone is looking for you!" A girl said in between screaming slash fangirling. Just what the heck are these people's problems?

   "Who is it?" Hani asked in the calmest way possible, hoping that her classmate picked up what she was trying to imply.

   "It's-... I-i-it's..." The girl was literally hyperventilating. A friend of hers was patting her back (though her friend was trying to hold back her screams). Just who was this person to start a plague in this class?

   A black haired girl wearing a smile peeked from the door, and Hani noticed her immediately. How can be she so dumb? Of course, it's Park Junghwa, the beauty, brains, talents and hot body of the school. Of course, she would make people fangirl. How can she forget? Her heart suddenly fluttered inside her, pounding against her chest. She felt her cheeks heat up. What could be the reason she was looking for her?

   When she glanced up at Junghwa again, she saw Junghwa's smile unscrewed into a slight frown. Maybe she was bothered by the 75% of her class who were literally bending their asses for her. Junghwa motioned Hani to come to her. With that, Hani glanced at Ken.

   "Guess we have something to talk about," Hani scratched her head, chuckling. She honestly doesn't have an idea on why Junghwa would look for her early in the morning.

   "Ah, it's okay. Go on," Ken smiled again. He was kind of cute. Well, to Hani's eyes, he looks like an older brother to him. She heard some people saying that they look kind of alike. 

   Hani stood from her seat and sighed. She walked towards the door, and with each step, her heart beats were going faster. Like a ticking bomb, waiting to blow off.

   Before she can fully step out of the room, she fixed her bangs the last second. Then she went out and found Junghwa surrounded by some of her classmates.

   "Ah, please excuse me, I would like to speak with Heeyeon unnie." Junghwa gave an apologetic smile towards Hani's classmates.

   Her classmates surprisingly followed Junghwa. As soon as Junghwa's surroundings were cleared, her frown came back again, making Hani think if it was her fault or whatnot. Hani was so curious onto why she was frowning and why she was looking for her. If it wasn't redundant to you yet, HANI WAS SO CURIOUS ON WHY THIS PERSON WAS LOOKING FOR HER DAMMIT.

   "Um, before we talk about whatever we are going to talk about, is there any reason why you are kind of, eh, sad this fine morning?" Hani asked, ending the line with the attempt of trying to sound poetic, in hopes of lightening the mood.

   "It's nothing, I'm just tired is all." Junghwa gave a weak, and obviously forced, smile. "Ah, who were you talking to in there? A suitor? Is he your boyfriend, unnie?" Junghwa continued acting with her fake smile, as if trying to catch Hani with her bait. 

   Well, why would Park Junghwa want to know? Well, Hani had no other options but to spill the tea. "No, he's just my classmate. What are you talking about!" Hani laughed, even jokingly punching Junghwa's shoulder, but Junghwa still wasn't smiling or something. The younger girl sighed, and rested her hands on her waist.

   "He's Lee Jaehwan, isn't he? He's one of the school's choir's greatest male soloists." Junghwa stared straight into Hani's eyes, making her unnie flinch. "And you're really pretty." Junghwa was starting to seem really scary. Like a strict parent warning her daughter about people selling drugs.

   "And your point is..?" Hani honestly still couldn't get it.

   "Well, if you aren't his girlfriend, please don't flirt around with him."

   Ah, maybe her dongsaeng likes Ken? "Yah! Junghwa, I swear I won't steal him from you!" Hani said with all sincerity. She didn't want to play mistress to whatever Junghwa was to Ken in whatever their relationship was. But it only made Junghwa raise an eyebrow in shock. What, did she needed her to make an oath? "Okay, look, I really promise I won't flirt with him. I'm sorry, I swear I wasn't doing anything immoral, or anything that would make the two of you argue."

   "What are you talking about?" Junghwa asked, as if she was the one being confused. "Unnie, I didn't say I like him, or something about dating him. I was just saying you should at least try not to flirt too much with him. Don't just let someone own you or something. And you're really pretty, I know boys would easily fall for you."

   "O-oh." Hani said, embarrassed, and partly flattered because it was the second time this day that Junghwa called her pretty. And it hasn't been 5 minutes yet.. Maybe she shouldn't jump to conclusions next time. But if they weren't a couple, what could be the reason Junghwa was being like this? Was she her mother? Wait, that was funny. Hani decided to comment on their current situation with that, to try to ease the tension.

   "Yah, then what was with your attitude earlier? Are you my girlfriend?"

   AH! Wrong metaphor! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

   Junghwa gulped. Hani blushed. The only thing they were hearing are the students' footsteps who were passing by.

   "A-ah, it wasn't what I was supposed to say, hehe." She said nervously, hoping Junghwa would just laugh it off. "A-anyway, why did you want to speak with me right now?"

   "I would want to know if you have something planned for lunch," Junghwa said firmly.

   "Well, I don't have anything on my schedule for lunch yet. Why?"

   Junghwa took both Hani's hands in hers. Hani suddenly flinched, feeling the warmth of Junghwa's hand take over her. "Would you..." Junghwa looked at her unnie's eyes. "Spend lunch time with me? Well, my friend is not going to attend classes today, so I thought maybe I can tutor you while we are eating."

   Ah, Hani's heart broke. She was just the second option, the reserve, the replacement. Hani smiled instead. "Alright, alright. Sounds like a plan."

   "Okay, I'll fetch you later at lunch time, unnie." Junghwa said, letting go of Hani's hand. Hani immediately became of the warmth leaving her. "I'll get back to my classroom before the bell rings. See you!"

   And then she left Hani. As soon as she was out of sight, Hani sighed and entered her own classroom. Her classmates suddenly surrounded her, like paparazzi's confirming an issue.

   "Hani-yah, what were the two of you talking about? So lucky!"

   "What could have been your topic? OMG please give us her number!"

   "Are you two close to each other? Please introduce me to her!"

   But Hani just sighed tiredly. "Yah. Okay, I'll try to comply to your requests. But I can't promise you all though." She fake-laughed. She went to sit down on her chair again. She felt someone tap her shoulder. It was Ken.

   "Hey, maybe I can teach you the lessons you missed yesterday at lunch if you're free?" Ken invited.

   Hani processed what Ken said. She remembered what Junghwa said earlier, that she should try to not "flirt" with Ken. And she knows Junghwa can tutor her about all the topics she missed and more than that. She also scheduled to spend lunch with Junghwa first, so she felt sorry for she was going to refuse Ken's offer.

   "I'm sorry, Junghwa asked me if I could spend lunch with her." Hani played innocent and laughed. "Her friend wasn't around today. She promised to teach me though. I'm sorry."

   "Ah, okay, it's okay." Ken gave a thumbs up. He returned to writing on the same paper.

   Hani turned to face the whiteboard again. She sighed, then the bell rang.