C - U - P - I - D

"Sorry for Being Late, Seonsangnim!"

   One of the reasons Park Junghwa suggested to meet her unnie at the field was to save time and energy from walking. The archery team always held their trainings on the said place at dismissal time on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

   Hani was making her way out of her classroom when she heard whistles and cheers of boys and girls from out the window. She peeked out and saw a lot of fanboys and fangirls surrounding the archery team and the target on the sea of green grass. The one aiming at the target currently was a senior, letting go of her arrow, making a loud "thwack" once the arrow hit the target. 

    She didn't exactly see what the senior's score was (she even had to squint her eyes to identify who the person aiming was), but the students around them cheered. The senior walked towards the target to pluck out her arrows. Hani thought that maybe she got a 10. She started literally hopping down the stairs with a smile on her face. She wanted to know how well the team captain of the archery team can do.

 

 

   Once she made her way out of the building, she spotted her cousin and Solji making their way to the dorm with bags of art materials in their hands. She ran to her unnies to greet them.

   "LE unnie! Solji unnie!" Once the two seniors turned their heads, Hani waved. 

   "If you still haven't known, your tutor is with her team at the field." LE said with a playful wink, stressing the word 'tutor', making her cousin blush. It was just a small thing, to stress a common word, so the reason Hani blushed was definitely new to her. 

   "I know," Hani said, with a sheepish smile. "I'll leave my bag in our room first before I meet her. Besides, her team is still busy training right now. I'll help you carry those materials too," she offered.

   Hani started collecting the bags of materials in LE's hands when the older cousin protested. "I'm okay, go help your Solji unnie." She grinned, once her cousin obeyed.

 

 

   Solji, the one with the least bags in her hands, fished the room key in LE's pocket to unlock the room. The three literally threw the bags on the floor. Hani tiredly removed her backpack and left it atop her bed. She skipped her way to the mirror in the bathroom to check if she still looks fine. Her hair was a mess, so with a grunt, she went to get her comb from the dresser between the two beds. 

   After combing her hair, she spoke first to the two unnies to let them know she was already going to leave, with a tired "I'm leaving."

   "Wait," LE said, grabbing Hani's wrist to stop her. "We're going to order food. Want something in particular so you can eat once you get back?" She said, as Solji was already dialing a number on the dorm's phone.

   "Anything will do, unnie. Bye." Hani said, closing the door once she was out the room.

 

 

   She made her way to the large field. Once she was personally there, she internally gasped once she saw the quantity of the students howling for the archery team. She was so sure they were lesser when she looked out the window earlier. But she realised why, when she heard the cheers.

   "OMG! Park Junghwa!" a girl squealed. 

   "It's the captain's turn now!" the girl hit another girl's arm out of excitement.

   "I'd feel very honored if I die one day from Junghwa unnie's arrows." a freshman sighed dreamily, earning weird stares from the people who heard her.

   "J-U-N-G-Junghwa!" came a cheer from a group of boys, overpowering the cheers of the captain's fangirls. To Hani, they were quite scary. 'Good thing the archery team's uniform isn't showing off much skin,' Hani thought and mentally slapped herself.

   Hani pushed herself into the crowd and before she knew it, she was in the front row of the tidal wave of fans. 'I wonder how many letters, chocolates and flowers Junghwa recieves during Valentine's day...' Hani wondered, and this time physically hitting herself and mentally shooting her head while setting herself on fire.

   When Hani looked at the captain's face, she saw that the sophomore felt uneasy. Junghwa's eyes were scanning the students around her. Maybe she felt attacked by the fans? Was she nervous? Was she... looking for someone..?

   As if on a romance movie, time suddenly slowed down to Hani's point of view, and the cheers from behind her vanished, and it seemed as though she and the captain were the only people around, when their eyes met. Hani's heart skipped a bit, making her feel all fluttery inside. Hani was definitely killing herself in 50 different ways in her head.

   Junghwa suddenly felt comfortable and smiled. She winked towards Hani's direction and the crowd went wild. But then...

   "THAT WINK WAS DEFINITELY FOR ME."

   "DID YOU SEE THAT? SHE SMILED AND WINKED AT ME!"

   "MAYBE SHE'S READ ONE OF MY LETTERS! SHE FINALLY NOTICED ME!"

   "THIS IS DEADLIER THAN HER ARROWS!!! MAYBE SHE LIKES ME???"

   Hani didn't bother looking behind her. She might just murder those people once she sees their faces. Just kidding, but she understood, that if she was in their shoes, a fan of THE Park Junghwa, they'd kill for just a wink from the famous sophomore.

   Junghwa fixed her position. She held the bow and arrow to her shoulder level and closed one eye. 

   Fwoom. Thwack! Thump.

   It was all too fast for Hani. She knew the "fwoom" was definitely the sound of the arrow at motion. The "thwack", based from what she witnessed from the senior earlier, was the sound of the arrow hitting the target. But what she didn't get was why the arrow made a "thump" as it hit the ground.

   As she was still processing, everyone was screaming their voices out.

   "BULLSEYE!"

   "THAT'S THE CAPTAIN RIGHT THERE!"

   "THE PERSON SHE WINKED AT TRULY WAS AN INSPIRATION!" the comment made Hani blushed, though she still wasn't sure if it was for her.

   Junghwa smiled to herself in contentment, picking up the fallen arrow.

 

 

   Once the training was over, currently 5:40, Junghwa searched again and ran to Hani once she found her. "I'm sorry unnie, that you had to wait. Want to take the sessions to a cafe?" She offered as she slinged her bag and arrows over her shoulder, the bow still in her hand. "I'll pay for what you want."

   "Isn't your father waiting for you?" Hani interrogated, remembering the last time they met.

   "No, I told him I'm okay to go home by myself." Junghwa smiled at her unnie, appreciating the concern. Hani wanted to protest that it was still unsafe for her to go by herself, but it would seem as if she was underestimating the sophomore.

   "Alright, to the cafe, then!" Hani happily walked beside her dongsaeng. "By the way, you did well earlier!" she complimented.

   "The shot was actually for you..." Junghwa admitted shyly. Then she blushed, adding "Ah! I mean, of course you had to wait for the team to finish, so I should at least acknowledge your presence. Did you catch my wink too?"

   "Yes," Hani smirked.

   "I'm sorry, if you're weirded out, I did it on instinct." she apologized, adjusting her bag on her shoulder, that kept sliding down. Hani offered to help ('Wow, I'm feeling generous today', she thought), but Junghwa politely declined. They made their way out the school grounds to reach a nearby cafe in awkward silence.

   

 

   The cafe was currently playing relaxing acoustic covers of some pop songs. There were students inside, some are chatting, some are studying, some are, Hani observed, dating. She followed Junghwa to the table on the corner, and left her bags under the table.

   "Unnie, please watch over my bags." Junghwa smiled awkwardly. "What would you like?" 

   "I'm good with whatever you're ordering. I'll keep an eye for your bags." Hani gave a thumbs up along with a bright smile and pulled a chair to sit on.

   Junghwa came back after a few minutes with a tray of two doughnuts and what Hani guessed to be two matcha frappes. 

   Once she finished setting the food on the table and returning the tray to the counter, she took the seat in front of Hani ('I can't have her watching me while I'm eating!' Hani thought, panicking) and reached down to open her bag. She brought out two papers, one is a reviewer, the other was a paper with questions, and handed them to Hani.

   "We were supposed to answer the questionnaire I made today, but the training was ended later than expected," she said apologetically. "Would it be good if you answer this once you reach the dorm and study this? The lessons on the reviewer will be about the lessons we will tackle for our next meeting."

   "A-Alright." Hani awkwardly took a bite on her doughnut and sipped on her frappe. "I'll bring the answered questionnaire tomorrow morning, meet me outside your classroom?"

   "Sounds good." Junghwa nodded in agreement. 

   They spent the next 30 minutes eating and drinking; sometimes talking in between as well, like "You really inspired me out there before I aimed, I'll be needing you in our tournaments for inspiration." as a joke (and at that moment, Hani wanted to pull off the passive-agressive line 'Don't play with my emotions!'), "You really contrast your father's attitude." another joke (but jokes are half-meant??), etc.

   At 6:18, they decided to call it a day and left the cafe. Hani called for a taxi for Junghwa and once she saw her aboard the taxi safely, she made her way back to the school grounds then to the dorm, papers in her hand.

 

 

   When she opened the door to her room, Solji was taking a nap sitting down, her head down on the dining table, and LE was on the floor, finishing the details of what looked like a mosaic painting ('A project for art class,' Hani concluded). Two painted canvases were on the floor, waiting to be dried up.

    "There's pasta in the fridge, heat it in the microwave or something if you want to eat," LE said quietly, since Solji was sleeping.

   "I'm full, I'll eat it tomorrow for breakfast instead," Hani said in the same volume of voice, as she searched for a pen in her bag to start answering the questionnaire. She sat on her bed and started analyzing the first question.

   "Oh," LE acted to be shocked. "Had a date with Park Junghwa?" 

   "Unnie, no," Hani kept her voice low, though she wanted to scream right now because what she had with Junghwa felt like a date.

   "I saw videos on Instagram from obessessed freshmen and some sophomores," LE smirked, dipping her paint brush in a cup of brown water. "The wink was definitely for you, I know it."

   Hani knew, too. Junghwa confirmed it herself. That's why Hani was smiling like an idiot, trying to act mad at LE. "Whatever," she sighed, and started answering her questionnaire.