Running (wo)Man

"Sorry for Being Late, Seonsangnim!"

Ahn Heeyeon awoke to the sound of her alarm. She sat up and rubbed her eyes to prevent herself from feeling sleepy once again.She lazily picked up her phone from her table and-

  "Ah! I'm already 5 minutes late!" She mentally cursed her cousin, Hyojin, who was a year above her and is currently living as her roommate in her dorm, for not waking her up.

  She wasted no time to take a bath and brush her teeth. She made sure her hair looked nice and hastily wore her uniform. From a distance, the school's bell rang, meaning homeroom period was done.

  "Aish, it's Biology after homeroom. I'm so dead if Dr. Park sees I'm late for classes again." She hung her necktie around her neck while multitasking to finish her instant ramyun and wearing socks on her left foot. She almost forgot to flush the toilet (which Hyojin always reminds her about) and went to the bathroom to do so.

  She tied her blazer around her waist, grabbed her bag, locked the door and made a run towards the school building.

 

 

  The hallways were quiet, no signs of obstacles for Heeyeon to prevent her from running to her classroom. But on her way, she accidentally bumped someone, definitely from a lower year, causing them both to fall down.

  "Ah, I'm sorry for bumping into you! I'm already late for class!" Heeyeon quickly stood up and let out a nervous chuckle. She ran past the black haired student and paid no mind.

  From the classroom, Dr. Park could hear squeaking noises from shoes going against the floor's friction.

  "Ahn Heeyeon," he predicted. The class anticipated for the student interrupting the perfect silence outside. The door opened, and a haggard Ahn Heeyeon made her entrance in the room.

  She made her way to her professor's desk to try to explain why she was late. "Sorry for being late, Seonsangnim." she murmured in embarrassment. Her attendance is not something a parent would brag about. She was late everyday. It was considered rare if Heeyeon were to attend classes on time.

  She found it hard to look at Dr. Park's face. "I'm actually going to commend you for making a difference." he said. It only made Heeyeon confused. "You normally are an hour late for my class, but today you were only 40 minutes late." Heeyeon sighed, accepting the change. But it wasn't long til she hears a bad news.

  "But you failed your second quarter examinations in my class."

  Heeyeon HATED Biology. Not because she didn't understand the lessons. But because she hated the teacher. All Dr. Park ever do since she first got late on the first day of classes was to embarrass her. And so, Heeyeon grew this grudge and never listened to any lessons of Dr. Park. When she has the nerve, she even sleeps through his classes. But being a professional instructor, Dr. Park tolerated with her behaviour. He knew exactly what to make this student do.

  He started distributing the test results by order. The first student who gets their paper is the person in the class who scored the highest for the examination. Heeyeon knew it. She was called last, of course. She was about to get her paper from Dr. Park when he kept the paper in his briefcase.

  "Sir?" Heeyeon tried to be rational. Why was he keeping her paper from her?

  "Ahn Heeyeon, I cannot simply let my student fail. You ended the second quarter with that kind of score; and with that kind of attitude. If you don't improve for the next two quarters, you'll definitely be kicked out. If you could get a score of 95% and above in the next quarter's test, you might be saved from being kicked out from here."

  "I will do my best to improve, sir." Heeyeon tried her best to sound convincing. She really wanted to sit down already.

  "I am not so sure of that. You used the same exact words last quarter. So I am referring you to the top student of a lower batch. Hopefully, she would help you get a score of 95% and above for the next quarter."

  "But sir, I do not need a-

  "I already informed her. Go meet her in the library at dismissal."

 

 

  It was lunch time when Heeyeon went to the upper years to spend the time with her cousin, Hyojin and her cousin's friend (which Heeyeon suspects to be Hyojin's girlfriend) Solji.

  "Unnie! Can't you wake me up everyday so I can't be late?" was Heeyeon's first statement when she saw Hyojin with Solji in the hallways.

  "I do," Hyojin said. "But you just sleep again after standing up."

  "I don't believe you." Heeyeon said, fixing her necktie since she hadn't wore it properly since the morning. "I would definitely not do that."

  "I have a video for proof," Hyojin started pulling her phone from her pocket when Solji stopped her.

  "LE, don't just go around the campus with your phone out, it might get confiscated," Solji scolded. She was such a mother figure. "And Hani-ssi, I hope you sleep earlier and stop reading manhwa's every night. That's why you never get to wake up early,"

  They went down to the cafeteria and pulled out the lunch. Solji noticed Hani doesn't have hers. "Hani, why don't you have lunch?"

  "I was late, Solji unnie." she groaned. "I didn't have the time to prepare."

  "LE, give her your lunch." Solji already pulled LE's chopsticks away and handed it to Hani. LE was surprised. But before she could argue, Solji continued speaking. "We'll just share."

  Ugh, lovebirds. Hani thought, splitting the wooden chopsticks. She tried her best to avoid the two unnies who were TOTALLY showing public display of affection inside the campus.

 

She caught a glimpse of the person she bumped into earlier, with a batchmate that has blonde hair and a baby face. She paid no mind and continued eating instead.

 

 

It was dismissal when Hani was heading to her dorm. She really felt tired and just wanted to sleep. "Wait, I'm forgetting something..." she bit her lip as she entered the dormitory. She was so sure there was something she needed to do. Then she started sprinting back heading to her school building.

  "," she muttured while running at full speed. "The top student must be waiting." She felt her legs getting sore, but kept running.