Chapter 2

Fatal Frame: Labyrinth of Insanity

After the long plane ride, Hyuk dreaded getting off of it. Ravi literally dragged him through the aisle and to the terminal. The stood outside and hawled a taxi.

"To this address please," Ravi said in broken Japanese as he handed the driver the paper. The driver stared at itfor a moment, then looked back at Ravi with a horrified expression.

"Are you sure you want to go here...?" he asked.

"Yes," said Ravi.

"....Okay, but I'm dropping you off a mile from this location. I don't want to be anywhere near it..." the driver said as he pulled off. Ravi didn't undertand exactly what he was saying, but the car was moving so he figured it didn't matter. The car ride was long and Hyuk fell asleep, leaning on Ravi's shoulder. Ravi gently his boyfriend's cheeks and brushed the hair off of his face. 

About an hour later, the car came to a stop, but the pillars weren't in sight. Ravi looked around. "Uhh I don't think we're here yet.." he said.

"This is as far as I take you," the driver said in broken English. "Get out," he said throwing an empty bottle of water at them, which hit a sleeping Hyuk in the head causing him to wake up.

"Hey!" he said, confused of what was going on. Ravi gave a scowl and threw the cab fare at the back of the driver's head and got out. Once he and Hyuk were barely even out, the drive swerved his car around and sped back the other way.

"You ain't gettin' no tip either!!!!!!" Ravi yelled.

"What just happened?" asked Hyuk. Ravi looked around noticed a sign that had the pictograph of the pillars on it and said "one mile."

"It looks like we'll have to walk the rest of the way there," he said, then grabbed Hyuk's hand and began walking.

"He probably didn't want to be anywhere near that place. I mean, my foot was still in the car when he took off!!" said Hyuk.

"Eh let's forget about him and focus on our assignment," said Ravi. The closer they got, the tighter Hyuk's grip on Ravi's hand got. Ravi looked over at him and could see the fear in his eyes. 

"Hey don't be scared okay baby? We'll be fine," he said. Hyuk silently nodded.

 

When they finally reached the pillar sight, they saw several construction workers there. "See there's other people here, not just us. Everything will be okay," Ravi said to calm Hyuk down. "Come on, let's go talk to them."

The two of them strided over to the pillars and looked around. There was kanji inscripted on the pillars, but Ravi couldn't read what they said.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" a worker shouted when he spotted them.

"We're reporters from Seoul. We're hear to investigate and interview you based on these human pillars, as you call it," said Ravi.

"Oh, you're Korean? So am I," the worker replied in Korean. 

"Great! That'll make things much easier," said Ravi.

"So, you heard about what goes on here, have you?" asked the worker.

"Well, very vaguely," said Hyuk.

"Can you tell us exactly what you have experienced yourself?" Ravi asked pulling out a notepad and pen.

"Well, during the day, things seem pretty normal, it's at night where things begin to get unusual. One night, when I was cleaning up and getting ready to head home, I heard these voices that echoed all around, through the walls and even underground."

"What kind of voices?" asked Ravi.

"Various. Voices of men, women and even children. There are also times when the ground has a mini quake. I know for a fact it was only this area because when I tried to report it, quaking wasn't felt anywhere else, which I found to be very strange."

"I see. Anything else?"

"Yes...I'll never forget this one. All of my co-workers had went home for the night and I know for a fact I was hear alone. I kept hearing voices, footsteps. I felt eyes staring me down, then...I felt hands on my back, they shoved me hard, causing me to fall to the ground. I was standing at the top of those stairs right over there," he said pointing towards the stone steps. "I was pushed down and broke my leg. I looked back up and no one was there...that was about a year ago."

"Wow," Ravi said writing everything down. Hyuk stood close to Ravi, hooking his arm around his, shivering. 

"Since then, no one stays past sun down. It's a rule," said the worker. Ravi looked at his watch, it was almost seven and the sun would be going down in a few minutes.

"Do you mind if we stay here? We need to record and take notes," he said. The worker gave him a suspenseful look.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you....but since you're reporters and all..go ahead. Just let me warn you, do not wander around the pillars, do not go up those stairs...the activity here has gotten worse over the years. No one was ever physically attacked and then the longer we stayed, the angrier the spirits were..there's no telling what they'll do so be careful, hurry up and finish, then get. yourselves. out." he said then walked away to began gathering supplies.

"Okay Ravi, now I really think we should just leave. What if something bad happens??" said Hyuk.

"Relax, we have a job to do and I intend to finish it," said Ravi. 

About a half hour later, the workers cleared out and the sun had completely gone down. It was just Ravi and Hyuk there, in the dark. Ravi pulled out his recorder and hit record, to capture any sounds that may only be heard via tape. For the first hour, they stayed where the worker had instructed, but didn't notice anything unusual. Finally, Ravi stood up.

"This is boring, I'm gonna look around," he said. Hyuk jumped up and grabbed his arm.

"Are you crazy!??! You don't do that!! We can't!! What if something comes after us??" he said. Ravi gave a devious smile and slowly began to reach in his jacket.

"We'll be fine, because I have this," he said as he pulled out the Camera Obscura. Hyuk's mouth opened in horror.

"H-How did y-you...I-I thought you..."

"I didn't get the chance to put it back, but i figured we'd need it. Leo said it exorcises ghosts right? So we'll be fine," said Ravi.

"I can't believe you went behind Cheif N and Leo's backs and then lied to me!!! You're such a jerk, Ravi! Now you probably just put both of us in danger!! I'm calling Cheif right now and telling on you," Hyuk said pulling out his cell phone. Just then, the wind began to ominously pick up and the fresh air turned sour. 

"Call him all you want, I'm going to look around," Ravi said rushing ahead, climbing the stairs.

"Ravi wait!! Come back!! Please! Please don't leave me!" Hyuk cried. He stood there in hopes Ravi would come back, but he didn't. Hyuk could suddenly feel heavy eyes on him, he could feel something breathing down his neck...then his cell phone was yanked out of his hand and tossed to the ground, smashing it into pieces. Hyuk screamed loudly and sprinted forward after Ravi. Ravi who was walking slowly with the camera in his hand came across a plaque that consisted of more Japanese kanji characters, but he felt a strange presence coming from it. Hyuk quickly caught up with him and hugged him from behind.

"What's wrong?" Ravi asked.

"There's something out there..." Hyuk said breathing hard. Ravi looked back at the plaque, then held the camera up to his face. "W-what are you doing?" said Hyuk. Ravi snapped a photo of the plaque and took a look at it, but...something else appeared in the photo. The plaque wasn't there, instead there was a wall, stained with blood. 

"What..? I don't get---" Just then, the earth beneath them began to shake, and the ground crumbled, causing them to fall under it. They both screamed as the fell down a long abyss. Ravi landed first, on his stomach curdling in pain. He turned over on his back, then Hyuk fell directly on top of him.

"Ow!!" Ravi yelped out.

"Sorry.." said Hyuk. They both got up and looked up from where they fell. They could see the hole and it looked as if they could climb back out.

"Alright we need to get out of here. I'll give you a boost," said Ravi. Just as he was about to do so, the earth quaked again, causing a montage of large rocks to block the entire entrance. There was no way  they could move the rocks. They looked around, then at eachother, realizing that were trapped underground.