Overture

Fatal Frame: Labyrinth of Insanity

The story of Hitobashira dates back to the 17th century, where many humans were offered as sacrifices for longer, happy lives and safety from natural disasters. It is said that people were sealed into the walls against their wills. Some crushed to death, others suffocated. None the less, they were all brutally killed for no good reason. So of course, their spirits are most likely angry and tainting the region.

Two years after Leo and Ken solved the Lotus Woods case, Cheif N monitered news in Japan quite frequently. He found an interest in ghost stories---true ghost stories that he wanted to prove were either real or not. Leo thought he should stop trying to haggle with the supernatural because it could be very dangerous, and after what he and Ken had been through, he didn't want any part of it. N ignored his comments and continued his research.

He recently found that people have reported paranormal activity near the "Human Pillars." He decided to look more into it. He was in his office browsing on his computer.

"Hey boss," Hyuk said barging into the room, eating an apple.

"Mm," N mumbled in response.

"So I've been thinking...I've been a rookie for over two years now and I think it's time I moved up," said Hyuk.

"Mmhm." N mumbled again, focused on his computer.

"I want to do more advanced work, more hands on stuff, like going to crime scenes and interviews and stuff like that. Ya know, juicy things?"

"Mm," N mumbled again not even paying attention. Hyuk gave an irritated look then went over to see what N was looking at on his computer screen.

"What's this?" he asked.

"Articles about the human pillars in Japan. People have been saying they've seen and heard things. Even the workers there have experienced some type of paranoia," N replied.

"More supernatural research then?"

"Yes. Hyuk, you seemed to have known about the paranormal before any of us. Have you experienced something like it before?"

"...No...I don't know what you're talking about..." Hyuk said nervously scratching his arms.

"Then why are you sweating?"

"Because talking about ghosts makes me nervous!! Anyway, what are you gonna gain from reading these articles?"

"I was thinking...considering that it's an old 17th century legend...I'm curious to know exactly what goes on there. I want to know more about it," said N.

"I don't like where this going.." said Hyuk, slowly backing towards the door.

"Hyuk...you said you wanted more hands on activities, right?" N said smiling at him rubbing his hands together.

"....Nope!" Hyuk said then dashed out the door. N got up and followed him out of his office.

"Hyuk wait just give me a chance to explain it," he said.

"ALALLALALLA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" Hyuk shouted covering his ears. The other reporters heard Hyuk shouting and went over to see what was going on.

"What's wrong?" asked Leo.

"Cheif's trying to get me to do scary stuff!!" Hyuk shouted, pointing at N like a five year old.

"Cheif. don't tell me you're searching for more haunted areas," Leo said rubbing his forehead.

"People want answers, and who else will attempt to solve it?" said N.

"People who wanna die!" said Ken.

"Really cheif, we aren't paranormal investigaters. We're normal reporters. Remember what happened last time? We lost one of our own," Leo said softly ushering his hand to Hongbin's memorial photo on his old desk. N sighed.

"I know. I would never do anything else to put any of you in danger, trust me. I don't want to lose any more of my team," he said.

"So what exactly were you trying to get Hyuk to do? Him of all people, though..really," said Ravi spinning in his chair.

"What's that supposed to mean???" Hyuk cried in a whiny voice. 

"You get scared too easily, baby. Sorry," Ravi said sticking his tongue out.

"No I don't!! Why do you have to be so mean!" Hyuk whined. Ravi chuckled and stood up to kiss his boyfriend on the lips.

"You're so cute when you whine like that. Don't be so sensitive baby, you know I love you," he said. Hyuk blushed and looked down, mumbling something to himself.

"Have any of you ever heard of the human pillars?" asked N. Everyone shook their head no. "According to legend, human sacrifices were made there, which means the place must be haunted."

"If you ask me to go I ain't doin' it!" Ken said throwing his hands up in the air. 

"I second that. Sorry cheif, count us out," Leo said protectively wrapping his arm around Ken's waist.

"Of course, I wouldn't ask you two to do it," said N.

"B-But all that's left is me and Ravi..." Hyuk whined.

"This won't be dangerous at all. All I want you to do is go there and record temperatures, sounds maybe even a recording to pick up voices," said N.

"Alright. Count me in cheif! I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" Ravi said sticking his chest out.

"Thank you! Just one night is all I'm asking, then you can return on the next flight back to Korea," said N.

"Sure thing boss. Hey baby, now's your chance to prove you aren't scared of ghosts," Ravi said leaning close to Hyuk's ear. Hyuk shivered at the thought of ghosts.

"I would really feel more comfortable it Ravi was accompanied by someone," N said looking at Hyuk. Hyuk let out a whiny whimper then folded his arms across his chest.

"Fine," he mumbled pouting. Ravi smiled and ruffled his hair.

"Excellent! I'll arrange your flight for two days!" said N as he headed back to his office.

"Good luck," Leo said walking away pulling Ken with him. Hyuk groaned and slammed his head on his desk.

"What's wrong?" Ravi asked.

"I just...I don't...I don't like ghosts...or anything paranormaly," Hyuk said looking down.

"Come on, we'll be fine,"

"I hope so.."

"I know so. Besides, what could happen?"