Love & Other Idiotic Tendencies (Rap Monster & Andrea)

Laws of Motion & Attraction (TO BE PUBLISHED JUNE 2020)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

So people has been asking me to make a side-story for Namdrea :P Since it's Namjoon's birthday, thought I'd write this :D Hope you guys enjoy this fic! :D

 

OC-  Andrea 

 

The first time Namjoon thought he was stupid, he was at the public library near the lab where he was doing his apprenticeship. In that moment, he wished for nothing more than to disappear in and out of existence. 
 

 

It was a warm summer afternoon when he decided to go to the library to find some new books on Humanities and maybe browse through some recent journals on Physics and behavioural studies. 

Namjoon loved reading. And studying. Or anything that involves research and in-depth analyses. This was the reason he wanted to become a doctor in the first place. Not the doctor who heals and saves lives, but of one who does research and try to discover how to save humanity in the long run. Namjoon always liked broad horizons and would look at things through the bigger picture. Details were important... just as looking into plausible outcomes were. 

It's vital for a researcher to anticipate the outcomes and to exterminate possible negativity in the equation of "Saving the world from dystopic catastrophe", as what Namjoon termed it.

In truth, Namjoon only ever wanted to be a hero. But the problem was...

"AAAH!"

Books crashed to the floor; piles of hard bounds and paperbacks falling to the ground with a loud thud that it was enough for someone to earn a hit on the head from the scary old lady everyone called: the librarian. 

Namjoon jumped, cursing himself as he looked at the book in his hand; thinking however could he have caused all the books to fall by merely pulling out one?!

Clutz, Namjoon huffed as he made his way to the other side to see the damage. 

To his surprise--and horror--he found a girl sitting on the floor, half buried in books.

"Ohmygod!" Namjoon exclaimed as he immediately approached her and lifted the books to the side which were covering a part of her legs. "Are you okay?" 

"Okay--" the girl replied and at that split second she looked up, their eyes met and Namjoon was rendered speechless. She had the prettiest face: with hazel eyes, a straight nose, and rosy cheeks. Namjoon had to resist the urge to reach out and caress her cheeks. 

"I'm fine." The girl finished, looking away and Namjoon wasn't sure if he imagined it but she seems to be blushing. 

No it's just her rosy cheeks, dufus. He told himself as he lifted the remainder of the books from her form. He then stood up and dusted his jeans, before reaching out a hand to help her up.

The girl smiled up at him thankfully before taking his hand. Namjoon noted how soft they were. "Thank you."

"I'm really sorry. I'm not sure how that happened." Namjoon chuckled nervously as he rubbed his nape. "Are you hurt? Do I need to take you to a hospital?"

The girl grinned and Namjoon felt like his heart was going overdrive. "No, no... I'm okay. No harm done."

"I am really sorry." Namjoon insisted and the girl smiles warmly at him; which was totally not helping his racing heart right now. 

"It's fine, Namjoon--" the girl suddenly shut , her eyes widening. Namjoon perked at the sound of his name and he gave her an equally surprised and questioning look. 

"How did you know my name?" He asked, feeling a surge of confidence rising in his chest.

"I..." She stuttered, looking away while slightly jutting her lips out. Namjoon thought how it was the cutest thing he had ever seen. "I don't--"

"But you just said my name." He smiled almost smugly as he fixed his glasses and he was sure she blushed this time. "Namjoon."

"I heard the librarian talk about you." She said and Namjoon gave her a look. Only then did she realize how weird that sounded. "I mean, not that she gossips about you or anything like that. You're always here so she knows you, and she mentioned your name a few times."

"Oh?" Namjoon asked smiling as he returned some of the books on the shelf. "So you come here often too, then?"

"Almost everyday." She murmured.

"Why?"

"Why not?"

Namjoon smiled to himself, loving how she knew how to answer. He faced her and said, "You know what, you know my name but I don't know yours." He drawled as he reached out his hand. "I'm Namjoon Kim. And you?"

She looked at his hand and gave him a small smile before taking it and giving it a firm shake. "Andrea. Andrea Kent." 

Andrea, Namjoon repeated in his head, tattooing the name to memory. "Nice to meet you."

"You too."

Namjoon stood there awkwardly for a moment, unsure what to do next. She was obviously a very pretty girl and seems like a really nice one too. It was only logical to ask her out... right?

"So..." Namjoon started, looking down at the books on the shelf and felt the urge to apologize once again. But he bit his tongue to keep from saying it. 

"So..." Andrea echoed, her tone almost teasing.

"What do you study?" Namjoon asked when he saw the books in her hand. From his view, he saw the word "Behavioural Theories" written in bold ink. If his prediction was right, she was a--

"Psychology." She answered and Namjoon smiled to himself at the accuracy of his prediction. 

"What are you focusing on?"

"Clinical studies." She answered. "I want to be a therapist or a medical researcher. Whichever works." 

Namjoon mulled over asking why but he figured that those type of questions should be saved for later. "I'm a Chem major." He said instead and he couldn't help but feel proud at how impressed Andrea looked. "I minor in Physics too."

"Wow." Andrea nodded. "Are you training now?" 

"The lab." He nodded. "I'm part of the research and development sector. We're developing a new formula to create this new machinery and it's nice cause they actually make me do stuff. It's mostly computing and testing reactants and compounds--" Namjoon stopped, realizing he was spouting out Science terms to a girl he just met. Definitely not cool.  

"Oh." He chuckled shyly. "Sorry. I'm sure you don't want to hear the details--"

"But I do." Andrea interrupted and Namjoon paused, giving her a look at her unexpected answer. "What?" she asked when she sensed his surprise. 

Namjoon stared at her for a second, thinking how that was the first time anyone has thought his studies were interesting. Usually, when he had to get dates, he went “music man” mode on them considering that nobody ever liked talking about Science or Philosophy on the first date.

Or in any date for that matter. 

"Nothing." He muttered and she gave him a smile.

A smile he knew he could stare at for a long time without ever getting tired. A smile he wished...

He would see more often.

~~~

 

The second time Namjoon thought he was stupid, it was when he decided to make it official with Andrea. 

After the incidental (though somewhat miraculous, considering how Namjoon didn't do anything that could scare off the pretty woman) meeting at the library, he and Andrea had gone out a lot; be it to hang out, eat out, or simply stay in the library talking about books, watching each other study, or annoying each other while studying. Which eventually leads to a lot of procrastination and a whole lot of movie marathons at the back of the library where they were hidden from view.... sitting side by side on the carpeted floors, sharing earphones while Andrea's laptop played a thriller mystery in front of them. The genre they loved watching the most. 

"The gardener totally killed him." Andrea muttered while Namjoon snorted.

"No way. It was the chauffeur."

"How are you so sure?! The chauffeur wasn't even there on the scene!" She hissed and Namjoon chuckled slightly, smiling at her adoringly. He loved it when she got into the movies too much--to the point that she would banter about characters and scenes as she tried to make a point. 

"I just know." Namjoon hummed. Andrea pouted then, remembering how Namjoon was almost always right whenever it came to figuring out who the killer was. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter