Sakura

November stories

Walking in the dim and soundless street, the only light emanating the way was from a single lamp post at the front of that mystifying house. Several rumors have aroused that were passed on from generations to generations which sounded like more of an urban legend from the first time hearing it. Most of the people living in the vicinity shut their doors even before night falls and didn’t dare to go out at night because of the so called curse from a supernatural being lurking in that street.

 
But there’s a certain guy who didn’t give a damn about it. 
 
It was the beginning of the spring season when he first came in this town, living alone in a not so classy apartment and was fortunate enough to get that college scholarship he desired. He was a simple gentleman who always wear a bright smile on his face and that’s what made him loved by all…including a lady who‘s secretly looking at him whenever he took that road.
 
Curiosity built upon him when his friends forbid and told him about several unseen beings inhabiting a house that gave off an eerie feeling and some other horrific stories they can tell. And with his brave heart, he decided to make a visit during the night and prove if the rumors were right or not. It won’t be called honesty if admitting that he didn’t feel any fear, when standing in front of the wooden building, he felt chills running down his spine.
 
Rain started to pour, and gearing his courage, he managed to gaze up at the window of the two-storey house and it was then when it happened, just like what his classmates had told him. The lightning and a long dark haired lady in a white dress can be seen at the exact spot he was staring, but it’s not only that, she was directly looking at him with a smile plastered on her face. For him, it was something he had never imagined though expected to happen. 
 
And from here on, everything had changed. 
 
He stood once again the next night to see the lady, out of his interest, but when he pushed the creaking gate, an old woman appeared and prohibited him to go even farther. He was surprised and his heartbeat felt like stopping because of that frightening aura which somehow penetrated his body.  
 
She warned him with these disturbing words – ‘Do you know my son, your negligence will justify your end’
 
It left him stiffened on his spot but before the old woman can continue, she choked up, followed by a voice from the lady in white, rubbing the back of the elder who wore a scared expression and hurriedly went to the woods until she disappeared from their sight.
 
“I’m sorry” He snapped out and was in awe seeing the lady in front of him. “Did my grandmother scare you? I apologize on her behalf” She bowed down and he told her not to do it. He was not the same ‘always calm’ Jaejoong anymore, thinking how pure and innocent she was, his heart pounded faster than usual. For sure, she was the girl he’s dreaming for all of his life. 
 
“Not...not really” He scratched his head, avoiding the look on her eyes that made him uneasy. “It was my fault after all. I was trespassing. Sorry”
 
“Is it because of me?” She questioned and he stopped, and like a magnet, his eyes were drawn towards hers. “I mean, am I the reason why you’re here? If that’s the case, then thank you” He got confused between his first impression of her and the lady’s straightforwardness, but it only just resulted to be more attracted to her.
 
Sensing how deep the night was, he bid goodbye and promised to come back tomorrow night after asking the lady’s name. He strolled down the road towards his home, feeling like a prince who already found his princess. “My Boa…” 
 
But that thought left his mind when fear suddenly overwhelmed him, remembering the rest of the story his classmates had said. 
 
‘Once you saw the girl, you’ll die before you know it’
 
He quickly took a shower, once coming back home, and after some minutes passed in the bathroom, a sudden loud knock was heard, followed by the banging of the door and for some brief seconds, it turned into a dead silence. Becoming more vigilant to his surroundings, and being a guy who knew self defense, he was ready to unlock the door and discover the source of the noise previously. And as he opened the door, instead of seeing the culprit, a small piece of paper was placed on the floor, which in fact, was tainted by blood.
 
‘Death is what awaits you, my prey’ – these were the words written and it gave him terror when a bloodcurdling laugh was perceived echoing in his room. 
 
He opened his eyes as the bright sunlight touched the calmness of his face but what he felt inside was the opposite, remembering what happened last night. Surprisingly, he was lying on his bed and let out a chuckle with his conclusion. “Just a dream”
 
That day seemed to be shorter than usual or somehow felt like someone was in control of the time and before Jaejoong knew it, it was already evening. And as he was on his way towards that house, the ambiance became relatively different than before. The town’s clock at ten and it was then when he lost the power over his body as he became subconscious of what’s going on. The only image he’s seeing was the lady in white, motioning her hand to come near her in which he obeyed.
 
“I’ve been waiting” She caressed his left cheek while he leaned against a sakura tree near the house and smirked, seeing her face close to his.
 
“Why are we here?” He asked before taking advantage of that moment as he leaned forward, capturing her lips and feeling how soft it was. It was not like him. It was like another soul possessed his body. Her hands touched his chest, pushing him lightly to have distance between them two, but then kissed him one last time before looking straight to his eyes.
 
“You’re fast, aren’t you?” She lifted his chin as the guy’s eyes were about to close because of the dizziness he felt at the start but nevertheless, he showed his provoking smile, understanding what she just said. 
 
He cupped her face and kissed, once again, her precious lips which he can’t get enough of. “Be mine” He whispered in her ear with his airy voice and heard her laugh.
 
“Are you sure about that?” She seemed to think of his words as a joke but before he can prove what he said was the truth, her next words daunted him. “As I had told you, death awaits you, my dearest prey” She moved some steps backward, witnessing a shocked Jaejoong in front of her and gave a terrifying laugh.
 
“You…who…who are you?…ahk!” Without finding a visible rope, he felt something strangling him that kept on tightening around his neck as he was suffocating and cannot breathe properly.
 
“You’ll be with me forever, my Jaejoong” The last words she uttered before he lost his last breath.
 
That night passed by so quickly and curious townspeople and policemen gathered around the cursed place to find a guy whose body was hanging on a cherry blossom tree with a rope around his neck, dead for several hours. 
 
Cries were heard from the victim’s fellow classmates, teachers and more especially from his parents who saw their son in that kind of state…
 
…But a certain someone, on the contrary, was smiling, liking what she’s seeing before her very eyes, as she hides from the public and soon disappeared, only to search for another prey to victimize.
 
 
(November 2011)