A Promise-1

November stories

 

“Tadaima” A woman in her mid-twenties called out as she entered the house then went straight to the living room just to be greeted by her parents and somehow a familiar good looking man, presenting his pearl white teeth, smiling directly at her.

 

“Okaeri, come sit with us dear” Her mom said, signalling her hand for her daughter to sit opposite the visitor.

 

“It’s been so long. How are you, Boa?” The man started, his smile still on his lips but shortly turned upside down as she stayed silent, seemingly unsure who he was.

 

“I’m sorry” She stood up then bowed down at him. “I’ll be in my room” She then told her parents and walked away, leaving the other three worried, especially the youngest of them all.

 

He heard Boa’s mom sigh while her husband rubbed her shoulder for comfort. ‘What’s going on?’ He thought.

 

“Would you like to stay for dinner?” Boa’s mom asked but feeling dejected about earlier, he declined, instead telling her that he will be coming next time. And with that, Boa’s parents bid goodbye as he went in his car and drove off.

 

He spent the night, thinking over and over again about the way she acted and the loneliness she had in her eyes kept him troubled and curious at the same time.

 

***

 

“Onee-chan…onee-chan”

 

“Yui?” She opened her eyes and instinctively got up from her bed to search for the owner of the voice but only to find just a mere reflection of herself in the mirror.

 

She heaved a frustrating sigh and stayed still as she was enclosed by those lingering memories. Memories she wished that had never happened and won’t be remembered any longer. But regrettably, still find its way to crept into her mind.

 

A couple of minutes passed, she picked up her sweater and left the room in hope to clear those thoughts away.

 

Arriving at the nearby park, she sat on that same old bench while holding a can of coffee and watching the stars above. It was her usual routine whenever she had that dream. She then reached her side pocket and took out a crumpled photograph.

 

“Why do you have to leave?” She held on it with both hands as it started to get damp by the droplets of tears that manage to break away from her eyes.

 

“Here” A male voice was heard and a handkerchief was seen in front of her face. When she looked up to see who the person was, her eyes widen, quickly stood up, hid the picture back from her pocket and wiped the tears away on her cheeks.

 

“You..” She called out, staring down and the man took her hand and placed the cloth on her palm.

 

“It’s pretty late” He remarked while she remained immobile. “Let’s get you home” He turned around as his back was facing her and took some steps but stopped midway when he knew she’s not following him.

 

“About earlier” He stated and that caught her attention. “I’ll forget it. I’m not in the position to start asking questions but” He faced her and she looked up to meet his gaze. “I know your parents will be worried....so whether you like it or not, I’ll accompany you until you got home” He smiled, oblivious that that captured her heart. 

 

“Who are you?” He was taken aback with her question and felt a sting on his heart. Witnessing his reaction, she felt apologetic. “I’m sorry. You look familiar but I can’t figure out..”

 

“Of course” He answered, disheartened at the fact that she doesn’t remember him but decided to put up a strong façade. “It’s been ten years”

 

“Joongie, that’s what you call me… the one who has a secret crush on you”

 

***

 

“Sorry for the trouble” She bowed respectfully when they arrived at her house and the awkward atmosphere started to fill up the place. “I-I’ll be going then” She bowed once again and hurriedly entered the main door.

 

“When will I see your smile again?” He wondered and was about to stepped in his car when he found a little girl at the side, wearing a white dress with a black ribbon at the back, looking up at the house.

 

His heart thumped hard as the girl slowly turned to his direction and he gulped hard.

 

“Onii-chan, arigato gozaimasu” And with that, she ran away, leaving him perplexed.

 

***

 

It was a week after that incident and he put away the thought of the little girl in his mind. It must be my imagination. He convinced himself.

 

And it was also a hell week, trying to open Boa’s heart to him or even just get her attention but he failed in so many ways. He glanced at the clock and it was time to go home but a smile spread on his lips, thinking about seeing the one he loves tonight. "I shouldn’t lose hope."

 

He turned off the lights and locked the door, ready to go but slightly got a heart attack seeing the little girl he saw last week in front of him.

 

“Ohayo onii-chan!” The girl waved and smile widely at him while he kept on staring at her, thinking how she managed to come in front of the room despite of the guards and his secretary outside.

 

“How did..”

 

“Let’s go Jaenii-chan! We need to go there!” She held his hand and pulled him out of the office. He didn’t know how but all of a sudden they were inside a hospital…or he was. He stood at the middle of the hallway, looking around to find the little girl but in turn, saw Boa passing beside him without her noticing his presence.

 

***

 

Holding a bouquet of pink camellias and carnations, she went inside that unforgettable room as it became a habit of her to come and replaced those flowers she placed near the hospital bed.

 

She caressed the sheets, imagining her dear sister lying and sleeping peacefully on it but when reality hit her, it was her cue to tear up while a man was standing beside the door and witnessing the scene - his heart suddenly felt pain he couldn’t describe.

 

And there he was, panting as sweats rolled down on the side of his face. He felt his heart beat rapidly with his palm and thought the scenes were real. He was terrified recalling her expression. She looked broken inside.

 

“What was that about?” He asked himself while running a hand on his hair. He’s confused and all but he was determined to find out the meaning of that dream.

 

***

 

“Meeting adjourned” He announced when he can no longer focus on the agenda and all his business partners left the conference room, not pleased at his decision. The dream kept on bothering him for the past few days and with that, he grabbed his jacket, got in his car and went to that room in that hospital.

 

***

 

Surprise was what came across upon his face, looking at the sight before him. There, on the bed, writing something on a piece of paper, was the little girl he met twice.

 

“Glad you came onii-chan. I’ve been waiting” She closed her notebook, placed it on her lap and tilted her head on the side. But not with her usual cheerful face, she looked solemn.

 

“What happened?” He uttered, in a state that he really didn’t know what to say and she only offered a sad smile.

 

Before he can speak once more, his love entered the room, having a bouquet of pink camellias and carnations in hand. “Sorry I’m late. How are you, Yui?” She asked, placing the flowers in the vase on the bedside table.

 

“The same, onee-chan” The little girl answered which earned a frown from her sister, who sat beside her afterwards.

 

“Don’t say that, you’ll be fine” Boa hugged her younger sister for the latter not to see the tears that came out from her eyes. “I know you’ll be fine…Please, don’t break my heart”

 

Though he was watching at the corner, he can’t bear the pain he felt inside. He’s in a complete confusion, it was devastating. The scene was just heartbreaking to witness, especially looking at his love, how fragile she was, he can’t take it.  

 

He stills when the little girl stood in front of him. She pulled his hand up and placed a note on his palm. “Promise me”

 

That was the last words he heard when the room suddenly changed to cold and empty.

 

He opened the note that stayed in his hand and his eyes softened after reading what she’d written.

 

“Please take good care of my sister

Love her with all your heart

So I may rest in peace

Arigato Jaenii-chan!

 

-Yui”

 

“I promise”