Seven - You’re not my first, but please be my last

Weaving and Straying: 5 Years Ago and 5 Years Later

(Song: Jay Park - "My last ft. Loco & Gray" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PDZ2cZ_czg)

 

 

 

 

“You are so beautiful, girl you’re special,

Even if they give me all the world, it’s only you for me.

Thank you so much for staying by my side,

In case you don’t know, let me tell you.

 

Though you’re not my first, be my last……”

 

 

 

A girl hugging herself and her thick coat could be heard complaining even miles away, “I wouldn’t come out if you didn’t need me here. I hate winter, it’s freezing me to death!”

 

 

There is a taller girl walking next to her under the snow and dragging her huge luggage, “Just say you wanna hibernate in winter instead of showing me around. I only have this winter break so I came to visit you, now you are complaining?”

 

 

So the first girl immediately puts on a nice smile, “It isn’t like that, Sooyoung-ah. I am…... I’m just hungry. L-let’s settle down then I’ll bring you to eat chicken!”

 

 

Joy beams as her favorite food has been mentioned, “Really?”

 

 

 

“Sure! And it’s on me!” Seulgi chips as she puts her hand over her chest, showing her sincerity. Of course, Park Sooyoung has come to visit and how could she not impress her with all she got? 

 

 

She has even declined a job this morning just to pick the girl up at the airport. It’s just she didn’t know the temperature has dropped so drastically today until she’s outside. Typical dumb Kang Seulgi. 

 

 

Joy then happily raises her arm to halt a cab, “Yay! Let’s go, I can’t wait! Thanks, Seulgi-unnie.”

 

 

“You’re welcome.” The bear replica smiles and pats the long arm, signaling its owner to put it down. “My friends are picking us up. So no need.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Does first snow really matter that much?” 

 

 

Again, there are two girls. And the one who just spoke is driving, while the other one is staring at her, pouting at her from the passenger seat.

 

 

“Sure it matters and you nearly missed that!” The sulking girl complains, but she ends up looking like an angry Jigglypuff so it’s cute. “I don’t understand you, Son Seungwan. How could you fall asleep on an outdoor cafe? Am I that boring?”

 

 

“I’m sorry, okay?” Wendy apologetically throws a smile to the angry Jigglypuff. “You know back in Canada, it’s much colder so I am quite comfortable even in such temperature. And I’ve told you the school is hectic lately, it’s approaching the end of the semester so I got lots of papers to grade...... You aren’t boring at all, Joohyun-ah.”

 

 

 

“Still,” Irene huffs without sparing one more glance at the driver. “Who would doze off at a date?”

 

 

It makes Wendy freak out a little, “Forgive me, pretty please? Here I am, being your personal driver and picking your friends up.”

 

 

“Only if you promise me one thing then.” The older girl blurts out the sentence but soon regrets it. Isn’t she too demanding to her already? Wendy has already promised her many and she has kept them well, in their “original past”.  

 

 

Those gossamers, those fragments, that have woven them together despite time, always come back to her in the most unexpected time. She guesses it’s because she owes her too much.

 

 

 

But Wendy doesn’t notice the tense expression since she’s focusing on the road, “Just say it.”

 

 

“Hmm……” She contemplates on her childish request and starts fiddling with the zipper of her jacket.

 

 

After taking a lungful of breath, the girl bravely voices out when she has made sure the light is red. Just in case Wendy would be too shocked.

 

 

“Go to the Everland with me this Christmas.”

 

 

 

“What?” The young linguist turns and checks on her girlfriend. “You sure you don’t want anything else?”

 

 

“I’m sure.” She hangs her head low because she knows better that she has a heart of a child and it’s rather shameful since she’s not that young anymore.

 

 

However, Wendy chuckles very softly and places a hand over Irene’s sweaty ones, “Of course, I can do that. If that is what you want. I promise we’ll be going to the Everland this Christmas. I bet it’s gonna be fun, isn’t it?”

 

 

In fact, it surprised her at first after learning that the older girl could be that playful sometimes. Well, she works in a law firm and anyone could have guessed she must be a solemn person. But no, Bae Joohyun has another side in her.

 

 

 

For example, Bae Joohyun insisted that they must witness their first snow together outdoor after she had heard there would be this year’s first snow last night. So she had reserved seats from a quite high-end cafe and dragged her all the way there despite the worn-out status Wendy was in.

 

 

It nearly ended miserably since they had waited for hours for it. Wendy was on the brink of dozing off and slamming her face onto the table when it finally came. And Irene was on the blink of slamming Wendy's face onto the table nevertheless when she turned to her excitedly yet was greeted by a pair of sleepy eyes.

 

 

And without a doubt, Wendy has heard of that Korean saying before - it would end up well if you and your lover experience the first snow of a year together. So she knows perfectly why Irene was so persistent.

 

 

 

“Joohyun, it doesn’t matter that much if we didn’t watch it together last night indeed.” She speaks again as the said girl doesn’t, so she seizes the chance. “We would end up very well anyway. I have faith in you. You will always guide me, won’t you?”  

 

 

Her past relationships are not exactly tragic yet she once lost interest in romance because of that. She thought it might take her a while to heal and to overcome those unpleasant love memories. She thought it might take her long to find the right person.

 

 

 

Irene is very attractive in any aesthetic standard so she has to admit she’s attracted when they first met. Still, she didn’t expect it would turn into something that serious, that important to her life.

 

 

And something about her, feels special. It’s like Irene knows her so well but they have merely met less than half a year. She gives her funny feelings, she gives her a sense of security - which is exactly what she lacks and needs. Not to mention how inviting Bae Joohyun’s eyes are, and how strong her slender arms could be. 

 

 

It feels like she can give her a home.

 

 

 

“I just,” Irene’s literally tingling with joy hearing Wendy’s sweet words. 

 

 

She knows Wendy always means what she says so she does mean they would last. And she’s overwhelmed since it is proven once again that they are destined to be together. She is glad that she has made the right choice - to grab Wendy and claim this hamster hers as fast as she could. She doesn’t want to waste any time anymore.

 

 

“Really love you.” Although she has said those words many times to the same person, it’s still very immense for her. She probably wants to crave it onto her skin if she could really do so.

 

 

 

Little does Irene know, Wendy is still not used to those three words too. The girl held her breath the moment she struggled out the very first syllable, and slowly curved her lips upwards the second she completed the vow, again.

 

 

Wendy doesn’t think there’s a day that she would grow tired of it - the way Irene says “I love you”, and, Irene herself. She is a very intellectual person and she once tried to figure out why - a more concrete reason besides she loves her too but in vain. 

 

 

Perhaps, it’s just because it’s Bae Joohyun. 

 

 

 

The light is turning green and she’d better reply her quick. It’s not nice leaving an “I love you” hanging too long, right?

 

 

Wendy is a super nice person too, so she guides the sudden-timid Joohyun’s face closer. Gently meeting her lips, she smiles before pulling away and going back to driving.

 

 

“You have no idea how these words mean something to me,” She whispers while the vehicle is traveling fast. “Mainly because they are said by you.” And her voice nearly fades away. Too shy maybe. It’s like she has never talked sweet to her ex-lovers.

 

 

Irene may, or may not be able to hear it clearly, although she got those cute ears that always stick out a little from her hair, just like a fluffy bunny. She just lays back on the passenger seat and bores her eyes on the driver, grinning and putting her also-cute canines on display, until they reach their destination.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Sooyoung, look! Irene and Wendy are here!” The slender girl cheerfully walks up to her friends and introduces the bubbly giant to them. 

 

 

She first points at the slightly taller girl who is still grinning widely, “My best friend Irene, Bae Joohyun.”  

 

 

After the eldest and the youngest there shake hands, she moves on to the one who is waving and smiling warmly, “And, this is Joohyun’s girlfriend, Wendy Son Seungwan.”

 

 

 

Seulgi secretly observes Joy’s expression but the latter looks very comfortable when she does the same with Wendy after hearing the final fact that the bear deliberately left out earlier.

 

 

“Thank god she didn’t run away.” She sighs mentally.

 

 

 

Wendy brings up an important question since she’s the driver for the day, “So Joy, where are you staying?” 

 

 

“Seulgi-unnie’s house.” The tall girl happily answers. “That saves me a lot of money.”

 

 

“Great.” Irene nods and sneakily gives a playful jab at the bear. 

 

 

“Let’s go, shall we?” Seulgi glares at the Bae-surnamed girl and urges them to leave the chilly airport.

 

 

 

The four proceed onto the car but Joy just takes up the front seat ahead of everyone. Rubbing her nape, Wendy exchanges a look with Irene and the older girl reassures her that’s fine.

 

 

Irene flashes a smirk when Seulgi joins her at the back after putting Joy’s luggage to the car’s trunk. 

 

 

“You two progress fast.”

 

 

“Shut up.” 

 

 

 

“Don’t let this one go.” The older girl warns seriously since she already knows Seulgi would love this Park Sooyoung girl very much. “You gotta sacrifice something if you really wanna be with her.”

 

 

“You think she’s the right one for me too?” The bear boldly asks while Joy is busy sharing her experience living overseas with Wendy. 

 

 

Irene seldom gives life advice to her friends. She only gives legal ones. This time, she must do it for the sake of Kang Seulgi’s well-being. “She’s a good match for you.”

 

 

“Yeah, I’ll try.” The photographer looks at her crush dreamily.

 

 

 

“Shall we stop by a fried chicken shop before dropping you guys at Seulgi’s house?” Wendy considerately offers as she just heard Joy confessing her love towards chicken and she remembers there’s a shop nearby.

 

 

“Yes please!” The bear raises her hand like a kindergarten child. “And it’s on me!”

 

 

Joy then stares at Seulgi with her smiling eyes for a while before diverting her admiring gaze to the eldest girl in the car, “Unnie, you got such a good girlfriend.”

 

 

Nothing escapes Irene’s eyes and she giggles as she reaches out to pat her Seungwan’s arm, “This one is hard to find.”

 

 

 

Wendy chuckles at the remark. Joy laughs and claps. 

 

 

And Seulgi is deep in her own thought. Not spacing out this time.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Who are you? And what are you doing in my girlfriend’s house?” 

 

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

 

 

Wendy hazily steps out of her bedroom with the noise and she is wide awake when she sees the two figures facing off, fighting in her precious living room.

 

 

“Hello?” She makes an attempt getting their attention because she needs to clarify things before things get worse.

 

 

“Son Seungwan, who is she?” Irene angrily storms to Wendy’s front demanding a proper explanation why there is a girl eating breakfast in her house. It was a beautiful day for Bae Joohyun and she has made plans for today. But it kind of ruins everything now.

 

 

The other girl curiously studies their interactions and she pouts adorably, “I know you’re hiding something from me, Wendy-ah.”

 

 

 

Irene is on the verge of exploding, not believing her dear Seungwan would ever cheat on her, but, Wendy explodes first.

 

 

“CALL ME UNNIE DAMN YOU SATAN KIM YERIM! IT IS NOT THE TIME TO PLAY AROUND. THIS IS SOMETHING SERIOUS I WARN YOU!”

 

 

Yeri sticks out her tongue at Irene before complying to the fuming snowman’s request. Who doesn’t know a gentle person is always the scariest when they are mad? “Wendy-unnie, you didn’t tell me you have a girlfriend.”

 

 

“If I told you, you would tell your parents and mine. They live just next to each other.” With the fumes on her head fading away, Wendy goes up to pat the bread-lover’s head, then turns to face her girlfriend and softly coos, “I plan to bring you to my parents next February anyway. It’s not that I don’t want them to know about you. I need time to prepare myself.”

 

 

 

“It’s okay.” Irene blinks and circles an arm around Wendy’s slim waist. “I’m sorry if I overreact.”

 

 

“It’s Kim Yerim, or Yeri by the way.” The linguist heaves a sigh as she just woke up to this mess. “Her mother is my mentor in graduate school so I promise I’ll look after her when she came to Korea to study. She needed my help with a project so she dropped by last night and stayed.”

 

 

“I’m sorry if I was rude, Yerim-ah.” The law professional nervously apologizes. “I’m Bae Joohyun, you can also call me Irene.”

 

 

Yeri certainly notices Wendy’s reaction towards this “accident” so she gladly accepts the sincere apology, “A lot of girls want Wendy-unnie but I approve none. But unnie you seem nice, so I think I would deliver some good words about you to my mother, and hers of course.”

 

 

“Thank you.” She smiles sweetly. Yet she also makes a mental note of asking Seungwan about those girls.

 

 

 

Wendy staggers to the bathroom, “Thank you satan spawn, fake swag. Thanks to you, I almost got myself into some deep this early in the morning.”

 

 

“No wonder you don’t like me paying a visit to your house.” Yeri taps her feet on the floor. “It turns out you got a girl already. Don’t like me interrupting anything?”

 

 

“Have the last toast then go.” The owner of the house orders while showing her puppy eyes. Yeri had bothered her the whole night and no way she is really going to interrupt anything. 

 

 

“Gosh, you’re cruel.” The young devil fakes a sob when Wendy slams the door shut.

 

 

 

“I can walk you to the bus stop,” Irene suggests. “I’m truly sorry about what just happened.”

 

 

“It’s fine.” Yeri waves it off softening her voice. “I did try to piss you out earlier so…. We’re even.” 

 

 

“Why-”

 

 

“We’ll talk outside.” Yeri throws a wink at the older girl before shouting to the girl who is locking herself inside the bathroom, “I gotta go, unnie! Don’t miss me and have fun dating Irene-unnie later!”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

  

Irene presses the button calling for the elevator, ready to return to Wendy’s cozy apartment. And her brain can’t stop recalling the things Kim Yerim just told her.  The young girl has explained part of the story why her dear Seungwan seems hesitant towards her pursuit at first.

 

 

Surely, she knows a girl like Wendy would draw many attention and even pursuers of both genders. Yet, she didn’t know many of them were blinded by how perfect this girl could be, and ignored the very fact that one’s inner beauty also yearns to be cherished. 

 

 

People could easily take advantages of Wendy’s kind and tender heart. Sadly, it often ends up hurting the girl herself. She has already gotten used to bear those scars and pain alone. She doesn’t want to act weak or be upset in front of the others. She is just too considerate that she doesn’t like to be seen that she’s in need.

 

 

 

How could they, thought Bae Joohyun, clutching her tiny fists. If that’s so, she’s the real jerk whom still dumped her because of social pressure, and despite everything Wendy has done for her. She can’t believe she could be so selfish. 

 

 

She knows she’s awfully lucky being given a second chance. Not everyone has one. 

 

 

 

And she’s happy that Yeri seems to accept her too. The girl seems like she wants them to last too by telling her all those things. Her hand is on the doorbell when she snaps out from her trance. 

 

 

Wendy, Seungwan. 

 

 

Suddenly, she regrets not knowing the Seungwan she first met that well. She probably broke her heart too. The mature Son Seungwan who loves Bae Joohyun more than herself, who would give up everything for her, even her own happiness.

 

 

 

“Did she get on the right bus?” The “current" Seungwan hums a tune as she opens the door for her.

 

 

“Yeah. I double-checked.” 

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“Thank you.” Irene places her bag on the couch.

 

 

 

“Eh?” She tilts her head to the side since she is puzzled. 

 

 

She snickers at herself while opening her huge bag, “For letting me in, you know.”

 

 

“And I want you to have this.” Irene fishes some clothes out and hands half to her girlfriend, making her only more confused. “I thought you would look good in this.”

 

 

Wendy checks them out one by one, “Aren’t these…... pajamas?”

 

 

 

It’s exactly the same outfit that Son Seungwan wore when Irene woke up that day. A white tank top, a pair of grey sweatpants. Call Irene creepy, but she always pictures seeing Wendy wearing that again ever since they got together.

 

 

“Thank you then.” The brunette lifts a thankful smile and hugs the clothes to her chest. Even though she still doesn’t have a single idea of why Irene is being so random.

 

 

“And I’ll wear this.” The older girl shyly grins as she flashes her the remaining ones - a set of matching pajamas which composes of a loose white t-shirt and a pair of grey sports shorts. 

 

 

 

Wendy feels flattered by the move for real, “Really?”

 

 

Irene, however, daren’t to return those intense gazes, because she can’t really explain if the younger ever asked,  “I know it sounds stupid-”

 

 

“No, it isn’t. I love it.”

 

 

“You really love it?” 

 

 

She takes her free hand in her warm one and pecks her burning cheek, “Let’s get changed. I can’t wait.”

 

 

“A-alright.” She then follows her to the bedroom, to get her weird wish fulfilled.

 

 

 

They look at each other once they are done with changing into their new couple outfits. And naturally, they start laughing as they hug.

 

 

It is just too delightful to foresee a home with someone you love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I tried to squeeze in more Joygi and Yeri so yeah, here they are.

I hope you enjoy this chapter as always.

Love you all.

xo