Final

Out of Reach

It seemed to be a nice summer day. The temperature was up and there were no clouds covering the blue sky, and so the sun warmed through one certain boy's thin layer of black clothes.  

The wind, being only a small and warm breeze, wasn't enough to even make him shiver. 

The boy, Kwon Jiyong, had laid down on his back on the soft green grass, eyes closed. 

He felt peaceful. His mind was calm and clear of all thoughts as he enjoyed the warmth and the sounds of nature surrounding him. He let out a content smile alongside with a small sigh and positioned himself even better on the soft mattress nature had provided. 

Right now he didn't have a thing to worry about. He finally had the chance to relax and let his brains cool down for a while before he’d have to return to the hastiness of work days. 

Suddenly, sounds of steps came closer to him. It didn’t take them long to reach his place and stop right beside him. 

Being too keen on keeping his peace, or simply just too lazy to bother opening his eyes, he started a secret game where he playfully assumed what the person next to him was doing.  

He had recognized her by her scent already. The sweet smell of fresh raspberries was the trademark she carried around everywhere she went. 

She hovered around him, probably checking if he was asleep or not, before placing something on the ground. Perhaps it was a picnic basket, he thought. Or it could be a bottle of champagne as well. Who knew? He wasn't that bothered to find out since she was the main thing there, the best present he could ever get.  

He was just so happy to have her around him. Just thinking about her made a childish grin appear on his face, not to mention what he felt when she took his hand in hers. Jiyong, having his heart already beating like crazy, still didn't want to open his eyes and break the feeling of total bliss. Partially he just wanted to see how his girlfriend would react to it.   

Soon enough, a shadow covered his face and he innocently opened one eye to see the reason why was it suddenly darker. 

“Oh, Taeng, you arrived already?” He asked while grinning like a little boy, a mischievous one. 

The girl, Taeng, rolled her eyes and crossed her arms to pretend she was mad. He just tried to lighten up the heavy mood she carried around, she knew it. The eye bags around her eyes must've been way too obvious. 

Gently, she hit his shoulder. He didn't greet her that enthusiastically at all, she should be annoyed, really. She didn’t blame him, though. They had had some severe hardships lately, mostly because of money. 

She gave a small thought to whether she should leave and come back later, maybe she was bothering him. He did look like he was having a relaxing moment before she came to interrupt him. And who wouldn't like a little breather? 

"I was just kidding," he assured after the girl fell into her thoughts, letting out a small laugh that finally brought a smile to her face.  

All happy about it, she picked a small box filled with fresh fruits and opened the lid to offer him some. There were pieces of mango, kiwi, banana and even strawberries. Jiyong hesitated a bit, but her hands went to grab a piece of kiwi fruit and popped it in . 

"Is it good?" He asked her and she nodded enthusiastically, humming happily. She picked another one, offering it to him this time. 

"Say 'aaah', GD,” she said and motioned him to open his mouth. The boy, whose nickname she called, almost complied. Only if he wasn’t confused by her rather cold tone that didn’t fit the picture. It was discordant like mayonnaise in a pie. 

If he didn’t know any better, he’d say it actually made the temperature drop a few degrees around them. And strangely, he didn’t even do a thing to piss her off. Even she seemed a bit confused, tilting her head to the left as she let her mind race. 

“Jiyong." She sighed as she callled him again, this time by his real name, disappointment dripping through her voice. It was like the taste of his name wasn't pleasant inside or something.  

She wasn’t smiling. She wasn’t confused anymore, either. Now the tone was even colder and stricter, like he was trapped in a nightmare. 

“Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong." She was scaring him more than his own mother when she called him by his whole name. 

Not soon after did tears descend down her cheeks, shimmering under the sun’s torturing flames. It was getting hot in there, really hot. It was weird since just a moment ago it was rather chilly.  

Jiyong felt troubled. In a way he wanted to just take off few clothes since he started to sweat like a pig in the sudden heatwave, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Not when she was like this. 

His heart clenched at the sight of his girlfriend crying, and he tried to comfort her, though he had no idea why she was acting like this. 

Just a moment ago everything was all peachy. 

Jiyong let out a frustrated sigh and looked up the sky. He was shocked to see that the sky had turned from light blue to a mix of dark red and purple. It even had a start of a funny colored tornado that would soon form to its full size, causing a lot of destruction. 

He glanced at the sides to see if there was anyone that could help them to get safe, but there was no one. Even the background was starting to twist and change, as if the surroundings weren’t even real. The absurdness was starting to get close to chaos as the tornado finally took its deathly form. 

Jiyong looked back at the girl with tear strained cheeks, worried. She, on the other hand, didn't seem fazed at all from the danger coming to their direction. Jiyong couldn't help but to wonder what the hell was going on. He was, indeed, at a loss of words.  

As if suddenly realizing she had let her weakness show, like that would actually matter in such situation, her eyes widened. She raised her hand high in the air with a furious expression and let it meet Jiyong’s cheek with a loud, painful smack. 

 

 

“Ouch!” Jiyong wailed a he shot up in his bottle filled bed, making some of them drop down and shatter against the floor. They were left unnoticed, however, as the man’s thoughts were still travelling to his dream where the woman had just slapped him.  

Although, his thoughts were cut short after the terrible headache made him groan. Painkillers, he thought. He needed them, needed now. He quickly got up while holding his head, stepping on few glass shards he didn’t seem to feel, and walked to the medicine cabinet. 

As soon as he swallowed the nasty pill down his throat, he made his way to the fridge. There was only a light welcoming him, if you didn't count in the rotten cheese that smelled horribly.  

“, I’m out of beer,” he muttered. He let out a frustrated sigh, followed by some face rubbing, and sat on the chair.  

He tapped the table's surface nervously before deciding to take out his phone to play some games with it. It was almost dead, only 12% left. He checked the clock, which informed him it was already late in the evening, but he didn't care about that or the low battery problem.  

He was too busy staring at the wallpaper his iPhone had. 

It was a picture of him and the girl from his dream smiling together happily. Taeyeon, he thought, repeating the name inside his head. Her name was Taeyeon, Kim Taeyeon.  

And she was his girlfriend, the only girl he could actually stand without losing it, the only girl he loved the most in this otherwise cold world. As far as he knew, they lived together in the two-room apartment he was sitting in.  

They loved each other like they continuously swore every day and night, between all the parties and fights. 

Suddenly remembering the dream, Jiyong turned his head around in the search of the girl. Surprisingly, there was no one else there besides him. He could swear Taeyeon didn't have work today, and if she did, she'd already be home. Unless she had to work overtime again. 

But it was odd how empty the apartment seemed. There wasn't even a single sign proving she would have ever lived there. There were no clothes, stuff or even a string of hair. 

Jiyong sighed and rubbed his nape. He was aware that there could be a high possibility she really got a call from work today, but somehow he got the feeling something wasn't right. He didn't like that feeling at all. So instead of just waiting, he closed his eyes and started imagining how she looked like again. 

Kim Taeyeon had a mid-long, slightly curly brown hair. In some lights it seemed to have tints of orange. Her eyes were dark brown, always holding the same warm look in them, even when she was lost in her thoughts. Her lips were thin, but still surprisingly soft when he gave her a kiss.  

He loved everything about her. Even her older woman's laugh that echoed through the walls all the way to the neighbors. 

He frowned as he suddenly thought that it could all be just imagination. It wasn't that farfetched after all; if a girl lived with you, you'd notice it. Though there might have been some sense in that, it wasn't an option to him.  

She couldn't be just a secret wish. First of all, his imagination wasn’t good enough to make up all those facts and details about her. He wouldn't remember where her moles were if it was all based on his imagination. That was way too detailed. 

He couldn't even recall other girls' faces that well. True, he was one of those wild persons, who met countless of girls on a daily basis. But he could only picture one girl with him, and that was Taeyeon without a doubt. 

Besides, his heart told him the truth. The moment he even thought of her made a smile form on his face, and his heart would pick up a slightly faster pace. 

But she wasn’t there. Frowning again, he leaned back in his chair and tried to think what he had done these last days. It seemed like his brains had a long time lapse with only black in it. He couldn't remember anything in a week and a half's time period, and before that there were only some small flashes of memories. 

He decided to start renovating his memory with easy, basic things.  

His name was Kwon Jiyong, he was a 25-year-old, jobless bad boy that loved partying and drinking alcohol. Not that Taeyeon was much better than he was, she was always there next to him, drinking and partying a lot as well. But at least she had a job that gave them the money to pay the rent. 

Suddenly, a loud booming voice erupted right next to him. He jumped a bit before realizing it was his own phone ringing. Letting out a small, relieved sigh, he took the call without checking the caller's ID. 

“Hello?” 

“Yo, GD! You’re still alive? I mean, yesterday was crazy, man.” A man's voice said. 

“Yesterday?” 

“Yeah, we went to the party Seunghyun held. Can't remember?" He laughed. "Not surprised, you were like an animal! I thought you wouldn't even make it home.” 

"Oh," Jiyong commented to buy himself more time. Wow, he must've really had a blast if that took his memories away. Well, that did at least explain his headache. And why he was out of beer. "I'm here though." 

"'Of course, and you’re obviously still able to talk." Laughter echoed from the other side of the phone. "Forget about that, hyung. So, do share me." 

"Share what?" Jiyong asked confused, rubbing his aching head. 

"Did you hook up with Tiffany? I mean, you two seemed to hit off pretty well right from the start. 

Jiyong froze. At least he knew where he was yesterday, but now he got another problem.  

Who the heck was this Tiffany girl they were currently talking about? Her name seemed vaguely familiar, but he wasn’t able to connect a face to it.  

Besides, he only cared about one woman whose name started with the letter T, and that spot was ultimately taken by Taeyeon. 

But he wasn’t a fool either. If the younger boy, Seungri as he suddenly recalled, was talking about some Tiffany, something must’ve happened. Though the name itself rang no bell, the lead could somehow bring him closer to the mystery why wasn’t his girlfriend there. 

“I came home alone,” he clarified to the curious one. 

It wasn’t a lie. At least he didn’t think so. Unless, Tiffany sneaked away before he woke up from his slumber. But nah, it was unlikely possible. 

Then, after he had just brushed the subject of his shoulders, he suddenly recalled a picture of a pretty brunette showing off her charming eye smile with a beer on her hand. Ah, so that was Tiffany, the persistent girl that tried to hit on him. He clearly showed no interest on her, then or now. It seemed like she hadn’t gotten the note of it. 

“Ah, hyung, you really need to give up on Taeyeon. She hasn’t been around lately either, unlike Tiffany that made it very clear she was interested on you, so... why not?” 

Jiyong's ears perked up at the mention of Taeyeon's name and before he could stop his mouth, he had already asked it. “Do you know where she is?” 

Seungri groaned. “Taeyeon? No... I would’ve told you if I did, just look at what a mess you’ve become after she took off. Not that I complain, you’ve become quite fun to have around lately.” 

Unable to concentrate on the younger’s babbling anymore, Jiyong hung up and left this apartment. He couldn’t believe what he had just gained from the conversation. She took off. She left him alone to wail in self-pity. 

How could she do that to him? They were in love. They were against the world and their friends disapproving stares together, not as some lone, solo survivors. No, he had to find her. He couldn't possibly believe these lies his friend had sprouted to him. He must've lied. 

But as desperate he was to see her, as desperate was it to find one certain human randomly on the busy streets of Seoul. He knew it himself, but decided not to give up even with slight chances. Even if it would take forever, he'd still keep looking for her.  

From every park to every building, fos so long that every ominous alley was checked and every rock turned. Until he'd see her again. 

Unfortunately, his legs disagreed quite fast after the sky had started to darken, telling him to take a small breather in the nearby park after only few hours. Not feeling so almighty and capable anymore, he decided it was a good idea to rest for a while before continuing his aimless search.  

Right after he had sat down and closed his eyes to get the pounding headache away, a young woman around his age stepped to the park, deciding to walk on the road Jiyong had gone just moments ago. 

It took them long to acknowledge each other’s presence as human’s first, not to mention of any familiarity. She was the first one to get it, letting out a loud gasp that caught Jiyong’s attention. His heart stopped as he looked at the woman, feeling a small déjà vu. 

He looked at her, observing how she looked, memorizing it. Every detail, from the small cut in her knee to the fact that her eyes were wide open with recognition, was noticed. Like he'd be the predator and she'd be his prey. 

Without giving it much of a thought, he jumped up from the seat and engulfed her inside a warm hug. He almost cried from the longing he had felt after fearing Seungri could've been right. 

Raspberries. She still smelt like raspberries, he thought and smiled in relief. It was like a sweet reunion filled with longing emotions, or at least so he thought. 

“Kwon Jiyong,” a familiar demanding voice from his dream started. “Let go of me this instant.” 

He complied to her wishes, confused, but willing to make the other feel comfortable. “What’s wrong?" Jiyong asked her carefully, still holding her from her forearms. He tried to look for her eyes, but she avoided eye contact.  

"Taeng?” He asked, making the girl turn rigid after she heard how casually he was talking to her. Like nothing had happened between them.  

She freed her arms and took a step back. "Don’t call me that, Jiyong.” She said with a scoff. No GD, no warmth in her voice. Emotionless. 

“You don’t want me to call you Taeng?” Jiyong asked in disbelief. "I've called you Taeng for ages now." 

“Because I'm not your Taeng anymore, and you aren’t more than Kwon Jiyong to me.” 

“But, why? We were just fine and-“ 

“Were we? Since when was the last time we talked?” She challenged. And the funny thing was, Jiyong didn’t remember when they saw for the last time. 

“Well, I don’t remember… Yesterday, I guess. Before I lost you at the party? Yeah, that must be it, you’re mad because you saw me with Tiffany, aren’t you?” 

Taeyeon felt her heart sink a bit as he heard him call out another girl’s name, a name that was coincidentally shared with her best friend, but she quickly shook it off. She couldn’t do that to her, right?  

Besides, Taeyeon herself made the decision to leave. Only thing that was left to do was trying not to regret it, and he seemed to be making it easy for her. 

“Jiyong… I... I don’t care who Tiffany is. It’s been long since I was gone. You can even date her if you want, no need to ask for permission,” she said with a softer tone this time. In reality, she was only trying to assure herself that she had made the right decision. 

“What do you mean?” 

And the doubt of any longing feelings she might have had for him were killed with a spear. He didn’t miss her? Then she wouldn’t miss him, either. 

“I left three months ago. You haven’t even noticed?” She asked in disbelief. 

“What?” Jiyong tried to rake his mind, searching for the truth. It wasn’t possible. Surely he would have noticed, wouldn’t he? She was just joking, he deducted. This was only a payback, something to get him feel as miserable as she was because of yesterday. 

“I left three months ago,” she repeated. 

Jiyong froze as those words reached his ears again. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. To make matters worse, there was no hint of amusement visible on her face. It was more like she was stunned, hurt even. 

“Y-you really left?” His voice cracked and he quickly cleared his throat.  

“I don’t think it’s the point that I left that matters now, but that you hadn't even noticed I was gone. How do you expect me to start dealing with that?" She asked. 

“But I- You- Wha-“ 

Taeyeon sighed in frustration before rubbing her aching temples. “Save it. Just… go,” she said calmly and pointed away from the park. 

“But Taeng-“ Jiyong pleaded as he tried to reach out for her. 

“I told you not to call me that!” She shouted in anger and then pushed him away from her. Jiyong stared at her, scared and shocked. Her eyes weren't warm anymore. They were filled with hatred, hatred towards him. 

He pushed back the big pile of crappy feelings. “Just… Just tell me the reason why.” 

Taeyeon looked at him before letting out a small chuckle. A dark, unamused chuckle. "You have no idea how you act when you're drunk, do you?" 

"What do you mean?" Jiyong asked in exasperation. This argument was getting out of hands. She couldn't be any more mysterious, and he would've loved it if it was another kind of situation, but now it made him go crazy as he tried to instantly gain the ability to read minds.  

Taeyeon looked at the man silently for a while.  

"You don't even know those words you said to me," she stated rather than asked, voice quivering. This wasn’t going like it was supposed to. Why was she being questioned when she did absolutely nothing wrong? 

Jiyong gulped as he sensed he was the real reason why she left. "W-what did I say?" He asked nervously. Sadness flashed in Taeyeon's eyes. 

"I don't want to tell you," she stated and turned her back to him. 

Jiyong ran to her and spun her around. He grasped her hands and dropped on his knees before her. “Please… Tell me what I did wrong!” 

Hesitantly, Taeyeon opened to reply. Suddenly, a shout came out of nowhere. “Taeyeon!” 

She turned to look back and saw a man running to her with a worried face. “Sehun, what are you doing here?” She asked. The man called Sehun halted beside her and pulled her for a hug, releasing her from Jiyong’s touch at the same time. 

“I was so worried!” He exclaimed and tightened the hug. “It’s already late and you didn’t come home… and… and I thought something had happened so I-“ 

“It’s okay, I’m here, I’m alive,” she assured the boy. 

“Gosh, I was so worried!” He shouted and lifted her off the ground, spinning her around couple times. Taeyeon laughed and hit his chest, gently. Jiyong watched the scene, astonished. He didn't like the feeling that came from seeing them act all lovey-dovey in front of him. Taeyon was his, who was he to claim otherwise? 

It took long until the man, Sehun as Taeyeon called him, realized he even was there. 

“Who’s this?” He asked Taeyeon, nudging his head towards Jiyong. The feeling of joy disappeared from her face as she started to think what to say. 

“A drunkard that wouldn’t let me come home,” she said while giving a small nod as if to approve her choice. Maybe it was the best way to describe him, a drunkard. 

"Really?" Sehun exclaimed in shock before turning to face Jiyong. "Why wouldn't you let her go home?"  

"I... I..." Jiyong didn't know what to say. "I don't know," he admitted silently and hung his head down. 

"Well, just so that you know and stop wasting her time, I'm her boyfriend. We'll be going now." Sehun informed and placed his hand around Taeyeon's waist. Jiyong couldn't let her go. Not when he just found her. 

And wasn't he her boyfriend first? They hadn't even broken up yet, but she still had another one touching her like he didn't even exist.  

"Taeyeon," he called out silently. The couple stopped on their tracks and Taeyeon peeked back stoically. "Don't... Don't go..."  

She stared at him, feeling bad for him having to find out about everything in this way, but he did somehow deserve it. She let out a sigh before turning around. 

"I already told you, it's over. Forget it. Forget me."  

"B-but I love you!" Jiyong shouted in agony, holding on his hurting chest. 

"Taeyeon, who is he really?" Sehun asked and placed his hands securely around her. She turned to face him. 

"Someone I used to know," she muttered and Sehun nodded. 

"Let's go," Sehun suggested. 

"Hold on," she said and went to Jiyong. She placed her hand on his cheek and looked at his face. "I loved you, I really did. But now I have Sehun by my side. Every time I look at you... I can only feel pain after what you did. I'm sorry." 

She dropped her hand. "Please, tell me what happened," Jiyong begged. Taeyeon looked at him before nodding and leaning closer to him. The things she whispered, the things he had so eagerly wanted to hear, made him freeze. 

She was right. He didn't have the right to come here and just claim he loved her after what he did. Even he himself couldn't believe it, but he believed her because he loved her. Because she had once loved him as well, so there was no reason to lie.

"Goodbye, Kwon Jiyong," she whispered before walking to her boyfriend that waited for her patiently. They intertwined their hands, making Jiyong look away briefly.  

But he couldn't help but to stare at her furthering back for as long as he could. After the newly formed couple disappeared from sight, he dropped on his knees, tears b in his eyes. He looked up to the sky and observed the "twinkling" stars. 

The stars didn't really twinkle, but people kept calling it that. Not that it was wrong, it just looked like that from earth's surface.  

He laid down on the sand path of the park and just kept staring up in the sky. Even if the stars didn't twinkle, he found comfort in them. They were far away, staying in a unreachable distance. It reminded him of the relationship he used to have with Taeyeon. 

No matter how much he tried to stretch his arms forward, to the sight of stars, they, as well as Taeyeon, were out of his reach. 

Kwon Jiyong let out a laugh and closed his eyes as tears started to pour down his face. He was alone. He was in pain. But he deserved it all. Of course, he regretted everything he had done. 

But he still loved her. 

 


Hope you enjoyed it! ^^