Invitation to the Ball

Once Upon A Time

Ever since my dad left us, it’s been the same routine every day. I wake up, make breakfast, go to school, pick up the kids, get changed for work, work, pick up dinner, go home, make dinner, do my homework, sleep. It’s been that way for eight years.

Today, however, was different, and it all started when someone rang on the doorbell.

My mother and I both look at the door confused and frightened. “Who could that be so early in the morning?” My mom asks.

“I’m not sure,” I answer. I cautiously walk to the door and slowly open it, only to see the horrors waiting on the other side of it.

“Good morning Nabi!” Mi Hae greets as she walks through the door and gets by me, Jisoo following. “Good morning Umma Nabi!”

“Oh. Mi Hae? Wow! You’ve grown so much,” I heard my mother say. “What is this? You’re wearing the same uniform as Nari. You go to the same school? How come Nari didn’t tell me this?”

“It’s a long story,” I tell my mom. “What are you doing here, Mi Hae and Jisoo?” I ask.

“Eh? We’re going to school together, of course,” Mi Hae answers.

My eyebrows furrow. “Wait. How’d you find out where I lived in the first place?”

Mi Hae points a finger at Jisoo. “Jisoo Oppa pulled up the school records and gave me your address,” she answered.

“What?” I exclaimed, astounded that that was even possible. I heard footsteps approaching the kitchen. Great. Now the kids are awake. I place their breakfast on the dining table and grab my backpack, pushing the couple outside. “Umma, I’ll be leaving now.”

When outside, Mi Hae speaks up, “Wah, Nabi. I didn’t know you lived so far away from school. But that doesn’t matter right? All that matters is that we’re going to school together again.” She pulled me into a hug.

I can’t accept this. I pushed her away.

“Sorry, Mi Hae. I can’t be friends with someone like you. We’re both on completely different levels. You’re… dating, and pretty, and tall. We aren’t meant to be friends.” I bow in apology. “Then… I’ll be going first.” I turn around to leave, only to have my wrist grasped and pulled back.

“Nabi, what are you talking about? Just because you see us differently doesn’t mean we can’t be friends,” Mi Hae says. As I look into her eyes, I can tell she’s about to cry. “I was so sad when you left. And now you’re in front of me again but you’re telling me that we can’t be friends? How could you say something so cruel?” She sighs, her voice shaking. “I don’t care how other people will see us. I don’t care if everyone in the world leaves me if I’m friends with you. Don’t you remember Nabi? You are my other half. Even if we were young, we told each other that we were soul mates. Don’t change your mind now.”

By now, she was already crying. Her boyfriend stands behind her with a hand on her shoulder basically telling her not to cry and to keep going. I don’t think they’ve been dating for a long time, otherwise he would’ve tried a different method, but at least he’s trying.

“Yah,” I chide her. I flick her forehead with my fingers. I developed this method when we were younger. Mi Hae would always cry and she wouldn’t stop crying until you distract her from whatever she’s crying about. “Don’t cry.”

Almost instantly, she stops crying and starts to smile, like she knew that was my way of saying I’m sorry, I’ll be friends with you. She pulls me into another hug. “I’m not letting you leave me again,” she whispers.

 

 

 

 

I don’t like this. Even though I wanted some attention yesterday, this is way too much attention. I think just having one person talking in my direction was good enough, but not a plethora of people.

Today at lunch, Mi Hae and her semi-quiet boyfriend has decided to sit with me. I knew that Mi Hae was popular, but I didn’t expect her to be a queenka nor did I expect Jisoo to be a kingka. And that’s not even it. These people are still ignoring me, but it’s like they’re talking to me because they’re talking to Mi Hae and Jisoo who are right next to me.

“Attention students,” a voice comes over the intercom. The cafeteria becomes silent. “As you all know, every year the school holds an annual dance run by students, for students. The rules are the same as last year’s, do not try to break them for there will be heavy consequences. Now, what all of you have been waiting for: the theme for this year’s dance. After contemplating since the beginning of this school year, the student council has decided for this year’s theme to be: Under the Stars. The dance will be held on February 11. It will start at nine o’clock until midnight. For more information, contact any of the student council members. That will be all.”

Immediately after the intercom ended, the cafeteria soared with excitement and anxiousness. “Are you going?” “I think I’m going to ask __ out.” “Who are you going with?” “What are you going to wear?” These types of questions exploded through the crowd. I don’t see the point in going though. I’m not exactly sure what the “rules” are but it probably wouldn’t give the students that much freedom. Besides, this is still a school; I wouldn’t want to waste a perfectly good night to study to go to some dance instead. Plus, I don’t have any experience at all on dressing up. I’m sure it would end up being a disaster.

 “Neh, neh, Nabi. Are you going?” Mi Hae playfully elbowed me, wriggling her eyebrows.

“Absolutely not.”

Author’s Note:

Hello everyone! Sorry for having the first two chapters be (possibly) boring.
But, of course, after the dance, the action will come, like I stated earlier.
So please have a little patience with me. This is, after all, my first story here on aff.
I’ll introduce the other main character(s) soon.
Thank you for reading ^_^