Please Don't

Miracle in December

“Where…?” He was back in the white room with the purple TV again. “Great. Just…great. This is fantastic! Just the place I want to be.” He rolls his eyes.

The purple TV flickers to life and the images on the screen catches his attention.

“We’re losing him!”

“No!”

There was this tall guy being pulled away by a group of male workers. He’s screaming and crying, and despite not understand or knowing, it pains Baekhyun to see him like that.

“You can’t do that! Come back! You promised you wouldn’t leave! Get back here you coward!” The man shouts again, pulling against the men’s hold.

“Don’t you dare!” Another man shouts. He was as tall, but seeing the tears somehow seems…foreign, as if it’s a rare sight to see.

“You said you would stay and annoy us until you’re old and grey!” The first man falls to his knees, his arms hang limply against their restraints. “You promised.” He whimpers, the previous energy drained from him. It was nearly a whisper.

The sound, the irritating and constant beep rings in the room, piercing into Baekhyun’s ear. He covers his ears, willing it to stop, wishing for it to go away.

The two tall men rushes up to the bed, the first man grabbing the front of the patient’s gown. The second pushes the doctors out of his way.

“Breathe, you coward! Breathe!”

“Please, for hyung’s sake, breathe.”

Baekhyun presses the balls of his hands harder against his ears, shutting his eyes tight. A whimper escapes his lips and his breath hitches, tears gathering in his eyes. The voices are loud and the beeping is giving him a head-splitting pain.

“You little !” A new voice appears from the TV. A short man, dressed fully in a suit and looking ready to kill, makes an entrance. He marches over to the bed, pushing the taller man away. He grabs the patient’s shirt and hauls him up from the bed. “If you’re going to die, then make it quick.” He releases the shirt and watches the patient plop back down lifelessly on the bed. “Hurry and die so I can get your funeral over and done with.”

“That’s so mean.” Baekhyun whines out, brushing away his tears with a chuckle. The air loosens from his throat and his breathing evens.

“He’s back!” The doctor checks the patient’s vial and exhales in relief. “He’s stable.” He leaves with the nurses.

“You’re so mean, hyung.” The tall man comments, a whine in his voice.

“This head.” The short mean retorts with a scowl, yet slightly grateful.

“That’s so like him to want to live just ‘cause you told him to die. It’s him to want to piss you off by staying alive.”

“Even sleeping, he’s against you, hyung.”

“He’s a jackass.”

“You hate his guts, but he loves to irritate you. Who knows? Maybe one day, he’ll pop up and go ‘HA!’” His scream causes the other tall male to jump and hold a hand over his heart while the shorter man turn to him with a glare. “YOU WANT ME DEAD BUT I’M STILL ALIVE. WAHAHAHAHAHA…...”

“If you want to live, you’ll shut your mouth, you giant elf boy. I’ll kick your all the way to the North Pole.” The short man threatens.

“Aww…Soo. I know you love me.”

“Take your love and stuff it. I’m leaving.”

“Where?” The tall man follows after him.

The short man turns around with an evil grin. “To look for coffins.”

“That’s so cruel!” The giant elf hurries after him, grabbing the guitar he dropped at the door.  “Wait for me, my pretty dongsaeng.”

“Hey, hyung.” The second man calls out softly, running his fingers through his brown hair.  “Do you like my hair? D.O hyung says it look like chocolate ice cream swirls.” He pulls the chair out and sits down. “You better wake up soon or D.O hyung is going to get you a cheap coffin and laugh while the bugs eat your corpse.” He lets out a forced laugh, wiping a tear away.

The heart monitor continues to beep steadily.

“I’ll come back tomorrow, okay? It’s too bad that we lost contact with our favorite geges and the little peach blossom, but D.O hyung is still looking for them so they can attend your funeral. You better wake up and ruin his plans. I want to see the look on his face when you do.” He smiles softly and takes the patient’s hand. “But seriously, he misses you too. He just don’t show it like we do. He’s been working nonstop since the incident.”

The heart monitor continues to beep steadily, it’s existence signaling the life attached to it. Compared to its previous erratic rhythm, the current is tamer and less of a pain to the ear.

Baekhyun removes his hands from his ears. He shakes his head in an attempt to clear the ringing echoing in his head, as if wanting to torment him. takes a deep breath and turns his eyes towards the purple TV.

The images were too much. The beeping and the screaming wore him out. They are the source of the pain of his throbbing headache, the unbearable stabbing of his heart and the wave of numbness overwhelming his body.

A small presence appears next to him, signaled by a pair of small feet.

Baekhyun turns his head to see a young child staring at him. “Who…are you?”

The child remains quiet, turning his head to look behind him instead.

Baekhyun follows the child’s gaze and watches as an ‘exit’ sign appears as if by magic, disrupting the whiteness, followed by a door under it. He stands up, his eyes glued to the door. He takes a step towards it, his palm sweating, his heart thumping, and his breathe quickens.

The child turns to the TV.

“H-hyung?” The man stares at the hand in his, his breathe caught in his throat. “D-do it again. come on, hyung. squeeze my hand again.”

Baekhyun takes another step, and another, and another until he was four feet away. His foot reaches out. His vision swims. His head is slammed with dizziness. Pain erupts from his body. His body trembles uncontrollably from the sensation of a thousand needles piercing into him. He collapses, overwhelmed by the pain, and inches back slowly away from the door.

The child watches the man’s hopeful face turns gloomy once again. He moves close and puts his hand on the screen, covering the man’s face.

“I’ll come back tomorrow, hyung.”

The child leans in and places a kiss on the man’s face. He waves goodbye as the man walks over to the door.

“See you later, hyung.”

The child turns away as the TV screen turns black.

Baekhyun stumbles over to the child, taking deep breaths to calm himself. the pain has finally subsided. “Okay, I’m not in that much of a hurry to leave. I’ll just stay here and…” He falls back onto the floor, arms and legs spread out. “It’s not such a bad place, just boring.” He sits up quickly, a smile on his face. “Maybe I should go visit Angel.” he turns to the child. “Should I?”

The child stares quietly at him, quiet enough for his breathing to almost be heard, almost. A pout appears on his lips and he shakes his head frantically.

“I wonder.” He glances around the sheer whiteness. A smile spreads on his face when a door appears just like the exit. Except there wasn’t a door, just a door frame and the sight of the amusement park on the other side. “Come on.” He grabs the child’s hand and tugs him forward.

The child whimpers and tugs on his arm. His protruding lower lip trembles.

“What’s the matter?” Baekhyun turns to the door in confusion. “It’s an amusement park, like Lotte World. Don’t you want to go on all the rides?”

The child shakes his head, his hair flying out in all directions.

“Well, too bad. I want to go find Angel and you can’t stay here by yourself.” He drags the child by force and walks through the door.

“Look who’s back. it’s the stalker.” --o sneers at Baekhyun. “And now, he’s been promoted to kidnapper.”

“I’m not a kidnapper. he was with me in that white room and I can’t really leave him in there by himself.” He glares at the other man. “It’s enough to drive me crazy. it’ll be worse for a child his age.” He reasons, silently daring the panda man to comment.

“Whatever, kidnapper.”

“I’m not a…” Baekhyun growls as the panda man walks away before he can finish. “Follow me, kid.” He sighs at the sight of the child clinging to his leg. “Give me your hand.”

The child looks up, then stares at the outstretched hand. Surely, the strange man can be trusted, right? He knows what he’s doing, right? He won’t let him get in trouble, right? It’ll be safe with him, right? Hesitatingly, he takes the man’s hand, warmth moving from the much bigger hand to his small body. He smiles at the nice man. Maybe it won’t be as bad as he thinks it would be. Maybe it’ll be fun.