Who am I?

Miracle in December

Everywhere is white. He can’t tell left from right, top from bottom or where exactly he is. There are no corners, no turns, no roads, just…emptiness and a whole lot of nothing. It’s just a vast of white, an unending amount of white. And it’s starting to bother him, like an inch he can’t get no matter how much he reaches for it. He can’t even take a walk without getting lost, not that he knows where he is.

The only thing besides him with color is this old TV set. The TV is old, really old. It’s much older than he is, whatever his age is. It’s purple, oval in shape and with dials on the right side and antennas on top, which are really just two metal sticks attached to an oval base set on top of the TV. It stands on four twelve inch legs that spreads out diagonally underneath it. The dials must be for volume and channels, but the thing never works when he wants it to so it’s useless. It only turns on when it wants to, and randomly too, like when he…

The TV turns on and a black and white static screen appears. The screen glitches and a picture comes on. Fortunately, it’s in color.

He inches forward, gluing his eyes to the screen. The screen is in black and white, but the colors aren’t unknown to him. Somehow, he just knows what colors the things are, like the information is inside his head. He watches the nurse, at least she dresses the part, walks into the room and take notes on her chart. The camera follows her as she checks the readings on the many machines. The beeping of a heart monitor echoes around the empty white room…or wherever he’s in. The sound is loud, and beats in tune with his heart.

He clenches the place over his heart, feeling it thump in anticipation. Something was going to happen, he just knows.

“Doctor!!” The nurse screams and runs to the door.

A doctor rushes in with two more nurses. They check the patient’s vital signs, checking the machines, the numbers, and the readings. The doctor opens up his eyelids and shines a flashlight through.

He watches, biting down on his nails anxiously. What if the patient dies? What if he doesn’t make it? Or he does but doesn’t wake up? Or he loses his memories? Isn’t that how dramas go? It’s frustrating to not know. Oh god! What if.. what if…?

“What are you doing?”

A scream escapes his lips as he jumps away from the voice, his head whipping towards the direction. “W-who are you?”

“Who do I look like?” The person spreads his arms out, a warm smile on his face.

“Are you an angel?” He looks up and notices the tiny antlers sticking out from the top of the other’s head.

“Do I look like one?” He smiles widely at the comment.

“That’s weird. Do angels have antlers?” He reaches up to touch them, but a hand blocks his way. “What?”

“No touching. It’s rude.” He leans back with a frown. “What?”

“Do all angels have dark skin?”

The ‘angel’ sneers and jabs a finger into his chest. “Look here. We’re not dark. Our skin is proof that the sun loves us much more than your sorry light-skinned .”

“Wow…” His eyes widens in amusement. “Angels can curse?”

The angel rolls his eyes. “You’re a moron.” He turns and walks away.

“Hey, where are you going?” He hurries after the angel.

“Away from you, stupid.” The angel hurries off, disappearing into the white.

“Wait, I…” A blinding light covers his vision. When his vision returns, he finds himself in the middle of an amusement park, his previous dingy white gown gone. “Where am I?”

“Watch out!”

He avoids the cart and dodges it with only a nick to his arm. “That was dangerous.”

“Sorry!” The boy yells back.

“Kim ----in, you get your back here this instant!”

“Sorry, -----soo! I love you, but I don’t want you to kick me !”

He watches the two disappear and turns his attention back to his task. Looking through the throng of people, he spots the antlers poking out. “Hey! Angel! Wait for me!”

“---an!”

“Hey, --o. What are you doing here? I thought you have the day off today.”

“I wish. ---s ge said I had to come in because ----dae hyung is out sick. And he can’t get ---un.” He frowns, his eyes narrowing and silently promising death to the other male. “I bet that lazy purposely not pick up ---s’ call so he didn’t have to come in. I’ll beat the out of him when I see him next.”

“Does that mean you have the shift with ----yeol? Are you okay with that?”

“No, he’s an that's going to make fun of my skin tone again. One more, just one more and I’ll shove his guitar so far up his , he’ll be puking notes.”

“Don’t be mean. What if --ho hyung heard you? He’ll be upset.” He pats the much taller boy’s head, rubbing behind his round ears.

“Yeah? Well, should stop ----yeol from talking before I let him have it.”

“----yeol hyung, --o. He’s older than you.”

“I don’t give a rat’s about him. He commented about my sunkissed skin, he can take all the fcks I give, and shove it up his . Oh wait, I don’t have any. Oops.”

“Don’t let anyone hear you, okay?”

“Yes, ---an ge.” --o glances behind ---an. “Hey ge, there’s a creeper following you. want me to deal with him? I’ll throw him into the trash.”

“Oh god, it’s him.” ---an grimaces with a frown, rolling his eyes in frustration.

“You know him?”

“No! He’s weird! He was hiding in the bathroom staring at the toilet!”

“Maybe I should call security on him and have them dump his in the garbage dumpster outside the park.”

The angel, ---an, sighs. “--o.”

“Oh wait, what do you know. I’m security. Let me go dump him in the organic waste pile.” He smirks and heads towards the approaching man. “Hey, kid. Who are you and what do you want? Why are you following me ge around?”

“I’m…I’m…I don’t know. I don’t remember?”

“What are you? Stupid?”

--o.”

“Why are you being so nice to him, ---an ge?” He turns to glare at the man. “I bet he’s a erted stalker. He’s going to pounce on you like that creepy drunk guy and I’ll have to jab a fork into his back like last time.”

“I don’t mean any harm. It’s just that…” He pauses, trying to phrase his words carefully. “I don’t know where I am or who I am.”

“Just because you don’t know who you are, it doesn’t give you the right to follow people around. Do you want to get in trouble?”

“No, but…” He turns his attention to the angel with antlers. “You’re the first person I saw since arriving in that white room. I was stuck in there.”

“What white room?” --o looks confusedly at ---an.

“The changing room.” ---an clarifies. “I don’t even know why he’s in there.”

“I was stuck in there. Everything was so white that I couldn’t tell the walls from the ceiling and floor.” He frowns at the grin on --o’s face. “What?”

“You’re a moron, an utter and useless moron.”

“Hey!”

“Whatever.” --o throws his hand up, dismissing him with a wave. “I’m out of here before his stupid gets contagious.”

“Is he always like that?” He asks once the panda eared man us out of earshot.

“Like what?”

“Sassy.”

“I don’t know, is he?”

“How would I know?”

“Well, this is your dream.”

“Dream?”

---an points towards a sign on the walk that said ‘Welcome to the World of Byun Baekhyun. Please dispose of your trash accordingly.’ in bold black letters against the white paper. “And look.” The finger travels to his chest where a name tag is.

He looks down, turning the name tag around to see the name ‘Byun Baekhyun’ etched into it. “Byun Baekhyun.” It sounded so foreign to him. “Then what’s your name?”

“Me?” ---an asks with surprise. “I’m just a memory. You’ll have to figure it out yourself.”

“Then you must know your name. Besides, that other person does.”

“Well, did you know your name?”

He opens his mouth, pauses, then closes it with an audible click. “That’s not fair.”

“Nothing’s fair in life.” He sighs in defeat, the pout on the others face irking him. “Fine. I’ll say it once and only once so you better remember it.”

Baekhyun watches the pink lips move, the tongue lifting up and down in its wet cavern and forming the words of the name he so desperately wants to know.

“---an.”

“Huh?”

“Got it? You better remember it or you’re done.”

“W-wha…?” Baekhyun blinks, bewildered, at the withdrawing figure. “Hey! I didn’t hear it.” He follows after the other, running to catch up.

“Too bad. I won’t say it a second time.”

“Fine.” Baekhyun resigns in defeat. “Hey, Angel. where are we going?”

“There is no ‘we’.” ---an turns his eyes to look at the other from the corner, keeping his facing looking forward. “I don’t know about you, but I’m going to work.”

“Work? What do you do?”

“I…”

“BAEKHYUN!”

A blinding light envelops his vision. It robs him of his vision, clearing momentarily, but leaves spots in its wake.