What friends are for

As The Full Moon Watches

"Hi." Key got the answer a bit late for what was normal.

"Feeling any better?" He asked and sat on a chair by Minho's bed. The guy raised his eyebrows.

"Well at least you're not throwing up anymore, huh?"

"Get to the point. What has happened?"

"I was just trying to be nice."

"Whatever, I'm fine."

Key understood why Minho was being a bit mean, but it still made him feel miffed.

"So?" Minho asked. Key took a breath to not sound as mean as he might have.

"Jonghyun's out of the operating room and he seems to be okay." Minho was staring at him and there was a short silence.

" ...But?"

"It's a side effect from the anesthetic, it'll pass though. He's acting a bit weird. "

"Well hasn't he always?" Minho joked and seemed to be in good spirits again. These shifts of moods of him were rare since the man was usually somewhat happy no matter what. Last time something like this had actually happened was when he and Minho were fighting few years back. It had been tough since they couldn't avoid each other much. But now Minho had that little twinkle in his eye as he sat up and was about the get out of the bed. Key managed to grab his wrist and stop him.

"And in my opinion it'd be better if you went to see him in the morning rather than now." Key said and searched for Minho's gaze. When the guy looked back at him, he slowly let go. "Trust me, I know better."

Minho's gaze stayed focused on Key as he was clearly pondering his friend's request.

"It's not fair you know", Minho snorted but gave it a small smile afterwards. His eyes wandered to look down at his hands.

"Minho, listen. Jonghyun's going to be fine. I know you won't fully believe in my words before you see him yourself, but he needs rest now. You need rest now", Key assured. When Minho kept being silent, Key stood up and patted him on the shoulder. "Right?"

The younger one glanced at him but was smiling. "Yeah."

 

Minho wasn't supposed to be up. Nor was he supposed to wander the hospital aisle in the middle of a night. It had been close to 1am when he had left his bed. He had ripped off the cannula on his hand and as soon as he had gotten up he had almost fallen thanks to the dizziness that had made a surprise comeback. Leaning on the wall to remain his balance, Minho wobbled forward. He had no clue what room Jonghyun was in but he was sure that he ought not to be caught by anyone. It took him a great amount of time and almost 20 rooms to finally spot a familiar figure sleeping on another hospital bed. Minho sneaked into the room and turned to closed the door as silently as he could. He was just finished with the door when he heard a sleepy, confused voice. "H-huh...?"

Minho couldn't help but smile. He let his head drop and stifled a short laugh by biting his lower lip.

"Who are you and what the heck are you doing-" Jonghyun's voice sounded just the same as he remembered. Minho turned around.

"Hi."

Jonghyun had gotten up and was leaning on his left hand. There was sleepiness in his eyes that were blinking to focus better. Minho wanted to just run and hug Jonghyun, hug so tight his hands would become numb, and never let him go anymore. Bury face in his neck and inhale the scent and feel the warmness of his skin. Let his hands caress Jonghyun's cheeks and make him blush by twisting some of the hair close to the hairline on the back of Jonghyun's neck around his fingers. And just hold him close. Heck yes he wanted to. But Minho held himself back. He was afraid.

"M-Minho?" Jonghyun asked with a small voice that changed into a whisper in the end. He couldn't see him clearly until the younger one walked closer and the dim light coming from the window hit his features. Minho sat down on the bed. They looked at each other for longer than was necessary  before Jonghyun broke the eye contact and looked down. He felt bad and guilty.

"I-I'm sorry, all this-"

"How are you feeling?" Minho interrupted with a warm smile on his face. His voice was quiet and deep. Jonghyun raised his gaze back on Minho.

"You know", he laughed but there was no joy in it. "I've been better."

Minho grinned.

"But what about you? Your head..."

"I broke my skull", Minho said like it was not a big deal.

"Wha-what?!"

"Hey, relax. Do you think I'd be here if it was a serious case? There was no bleeding or anything so I should be fine."

"It still sounds scary, I mean if you had hit your head any harder I-" Jonghyun said and his voice started to become brittle. He covered his eyes with his healthy hand and couldn't stop a small sob coming out. The air became more harder for him to inhale.

"Jonghyun", Minho said. "Jonghyun look at me."

The older one didn't obey but sob louder. Minho got up and sat closer to the head of the bed, right beside Jonghyun's left thigh. He grabbed Jonghyun's forearm and pulled it away from his face. "Hey, listen up."

Jonghyun looked up and Minho noticed his eyes were already reddish and watery. Minho could see the regret in the way he looked back at him and he felt really bad for Jonghyun. Minho's first intend was to give the man a good rant but it ended up being soft-spoken in the end.

"I won't say this isn't your fault. I could've died, yes. You could've died. We might've become paralyzed. But we did not. So don't torture yourself, I did it already while you were still in the operating room."

Jonghyun couldn't hold the eye contact but looked down. Minho let go of his forearm and placed his index finger under Jonghyun's chin and made the man look back at him. Then he carefully wiped off the trails that tears had left behind on Jonghyun's cheeks and gave him a comforting smile. "That's better."

There was a short silence between them where they just stared at each other. This time Minho was the first one to look away.

"Anyway, you should get some sleep now." Minho said and rose up. "And uh... sorry for waking you up. I just wanted to check up on you and... yeah. Good night, don't pull an all-nighter by dwelling on useless what-ifs, okay?"

Jonghyun smiled. "It's okay, thank you for coming. I guess I kind of... needed it."

"Well, see you in the morning then?"

"Yeah, good night."

Jonghyun watched as Minho walked to the door. He was just about to lay down again when something came up on his mind.

"Minho", he said just loud enough for the other to hear it. The taller one peeked back into the room. "Yeah?"

"Thanks for saving me."

The smile on Minho's face widened. "You're welcome."

 

A/N: We are coming closer to the ending *o* If everything goes like planned there is one chapter left ~ I personally really enjoyed writing this one so hopefully you had a good time reading it!