Poor unfortunate souls

As The Full Moon Watches

A/N: Some great bg music for the first scene! Helped me to imagine the situation and mood.

 

It had started snowing again. A cloud had floated from the northwest and was on its way to cover the moon during the next passing hour. The air wasn't full of snowflakes, only a few were falling here and there. It would have been a beautiful sight if Jonghyun hadn't had to watch them land gently on his dear, possibly dead, friend.

D-did I-

I-is he-

"M-Minho?"

He started to drag himself towards the body. It was frustratingly slow, painful, and the road was so freezing cold it hurt every time his bare palms touched it. He also couldn't use his right hand much not to mention the same side leg of which Jonghyun was sure was broken.

"Minho... H-hey Minho..." Jonghyun voice was quiet and sweet like he was trying to wake up a child as he reached out for his friend. He laid his hand on Minho's shoulder and shook it gently.

"Minho hey, w-wake up."

First nothing happened, then Jonghyun felt a slow movement. The boy was breathing.

"O-oh my God", Jonghyun exclaimed and tried to hold back his sudden urge to cry because the relief he felt was so huge. After a few sniffles he couldn't help but break down bawling. Letting his forehead lean down on the boy's back he hid his swollen face on the coat and let it all out. Never had the slow rise and fall of Minho's back been so important to him. Gathering all his strength while trying to stop his weeping, Jonghyun sit up and carefully turned Minho over resting his head on his left leg. Half of Minho's face was soaked in blood and his hair was dripping it as well, leaving red stains on Jonghyun's ripped jeans. He carefully wiped most of the blood off the boy's face with his sleeve while still having sobbing spasms and drops sliding down his cheeks and falling on the other one's forehead.

"It'll b-be okay... You'll make it... Th-the ambulance..."

I haven't called an ambulance.

Phone. I need my phone, where is it...

Going through his pockets was no help, they were empty except for the money he had taken with him.

, I must have left it at the dorm.

Helpless, Jonghyun took a look around him only to find out that there was no-one around. The driver hadn't stopped after the crash. Jonghyun started to panic again.

No, wait. Minho took his phone.

And Jonghyun was right. He found it from Minho's pocket in two pieces. The phone itself seemed to be fine but the screen was split by a huge crack. Gritting his teeth and hoping for the best Jonghyun pressed the power button. The screen lit up and he sighed deeply. He called the PSAP and the man on the phone promised the ambulance would be there in a minute. After the call Jonghyun just sat there with his face in his hands. His leg hurt more and more as the adrenalin flow was getting to an end and when he finally heard the sirens the pain had gotten to the point he felt like fainting. Few minutes later the ambulance crew found them lying on the road, Minho still unconscious and Jonghyun somewhere on the edge of consciousness.

 

"... we have to cancel it ..."

"... it depends ... the surgery is ... to continue."

Minho frowned when the bright light hit his eyes. Blinking rapidly he tried to get used to it, succeeding  in few seconds. Three familiar silhouettes gathered around him.

"Oh! Oh! He's conscious!" It was Taemin who looked both surprised, happy, and drunk.

"What the heck..." Minho mumbled. As he took a look around he noticed that his right hand was in a cast and he was lying on a hospital bed. The other half of his face was aching a little bit and when he tried to touch it with his hand he felt soft fabric.

"Thank God, doctors were worried that you'd be in a coma. Please say you know who we are", Key said as he sat down on a chair that was placed near the bed.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. But what am I doing in a hospital? What time is it? Why would I be comatose? Why are you all drunk?"

Key laughed.

"It's only 10:50pm, you've been dozing off for 40 minutes. They told us you were run over by a car, any memories about that?" Onew said.

Minho tried to remember but for now, nothing came to his mind. He looked at Onew, confused.

"We were having an after party and you went to get something to eat?" Onew clarified.

Oh that's right.

He remembered leaving the dorm with Jonghyun. Bit by bit it all came back to him.

"Ahh, that bastard Jonghyun... I pushed him out of the way but I was too slow to jump aside before the car hit me. How's he doing? Where is he?" Minho said and as he spoke he noticed that Jonghyun wasn't in the room.

"That is-" Key started speaking after a deep sigh but was interrupted by nurses and a doctor.

"Oh Mr. Choi you're awake, that's more than brilliant. How are you feeling?"

"My face hurts a bit but otherwise I'm fine."

"That's good to hear, you'll get some painkillers later. We'll now take you to a CT scan just to make sure everything's like it should be", the doctor said and the nurses started to roll the bed towards the door.

"Uh, okay... See you guys later?"

"Yeah, have fun with the X-rays!" Taemin said as the three of them waved Minho a goodbye. Closing of the room's door was followed by a deep sigh.

"I guess we shouldn't tell him yet. His brains have been through enough for one day", Onew said and the others agreed.

"Yeah, we should leave it for tomorrow when we know more", Key said and rose up from the chair. "Let's go buy some coffee. I'm not leaving before I know Jonghyun's going to be fine."

"I just can't stop thinking what if... You know, sometimes surgeries fail and -" Taemin mumbled as he followed his hyungs out of the room but was cut off by Key who suddenly turned around to face him and looked anything but happy.

"Shut up! Don't talk about it, it won't happen."

"I-I was just saying..."

"Yeah, well don't. I need none of it at the moment", Key hissed and as he seemed to be done with his yelling he turned around again.

"And if you think this whole thing is your fault I'm going to slap the life out of you, understand?"

Taemin was so shocked he could only nod. Key just snorted and headed towards the coffee shop.

"Don't mind him", Onew tried to comfort Taemin who now seemed really upset. "I'm sure Jonghyun will be alright, it's just a leg surgery."

"They said his thigh bone was in half and he was almost unconscious from pain and blood loss when they found him! It's not going to be 'just a leg surgery'!"

"Wh-what?" Taemin and Onew froze. It was Minho.