Joy

LAKEWOOD AND YAMAHA

A soft gush of warm summer air blew in, waving the leaves of palm outdoors and forcing the covered window sheers indoor into motion, as if they were waltzing to the plucking of the gentle guitar beats. There in a corner, sat a guy in his late teenage years on a wooden bar chair. All together, this scene appeared very calm and harmonized. Soft melody composed from his hand, plucking the strings, as the body of the guitar shimmering under the cool mid-summer rays. The wooden bar chair created a nice contrast with the old white wall behind, leaving a vintage look.

"CUT!" yelled the director for nth times, hidden by the heavily congested cameras. The guitarist stopped abruptly as he looked up to the pissed-off director, puzzled. "That sheers are moving! Put it down. Too much disturbance," he ordered, ignoring the work-out guitarist in front of him and his team of workers who grew tired of his endless nagging and orders. How picky.. 

"Sir. If you don't mind," started a man suddenly from behind, making the director felt slightly offended. The director instantly turned his head, ready to give the intruder a good spanking for the unnescessary disturbance. Unfortunately(?), his anger went 'kerplunk' once he figured out the latter was someone that he do not want him to ever come. Someone that will give him a good o' nightmare. Someone who hold the position as the CEO of Contempotary Entertainment. Someone who nicknamed as G-Dragon. Someone who called as Kwon Jiyong. "Let's continue tomorrow," Jiyong stated with his usual mischievious smile plastered as he nodded to the guitarist. "Sungha, okay with you?"


"Thank you so much Jiyong for getting us out from there," beamed Sungha, huffing as he draped along his Lakewood behind his back. Jiyong chuckled at his childish gratitude while trying to ruffle through his hair, making Sungha trying his best to dunk out of his reach. They soon ended up as a tag-you're-it game.  

"You still quick, even with that thing on you! I'm breathless!" remarked Jiyong, panting from the chase FEW minutes ago. Due to the fact that he was too tired to stand, he stay seated on the plush carpeted floor with his legs spreaded and arms behind supporting for stability, completed with his red-glowing face as he heavily took in and out his breath. Sungha could not helped but burst into laughter, only earned a slap at the calf from the recovering Jiyong. 

"Hey,rascals! So here you are." Sounds familar. Both Jiyong and Sungha were about to create a plan to prank on the latter. But, he got too close, and spoilt the half-created plans, which made the prankster Jiyong disappointed. 

"Chanhyuk-ie" beamed Sungha as he linked his left arm up onto Chanhyuk's shoulder, trying to lift the atmosphere up to cover the dirty fact that they were previously sprucing up some evil plans to prank on him, which eventually got spoilt anyway.

"Where's Suhyun?" asked Jiyong, still sitting on the floor, smiling, as he was too lazy to stand up, and still going with the same motive as Sungha -- covering up.

"Shopping with her girly, girly friends. What else would she do," replied Chanhyuk with his sulking face and his girlish motion as he emphasized on the word 'girly, girly friends', slightly pissed off with the fact that his sister did not choose to shop with him. From the two, Chanhyuk earned no sympathy, but crazy laughs as their reactions instead. 

"Sungha! So how?" chirped Chanhyuk, impatiently. Sungha who still wiping his tears from the previous laugh jolted him a puzzled look. Miraculously, Jiyong who was popular for being the most clueless among them, got his antenna tuned and connected with Chanhyuk's topic. Once again, Sungha still with that puzzled look.

"So? Got the offer letter yet?" asked lazy Jiyong, still glued down to the floor. This time, the query hit bullseye. Sungha finally understoods what was going on.

"Ah! That offer," responded Sungha. The two nodded as they anticipated the answer. "Good news! I got the offer to the SUST!" beamed Sungha in his abnormally down-to-earth personality. The two were left mouth-gapped for awhile before responded in excitement.

"Jiyong! We finally got ourselves another junior!" exclaimed Chanhyuk, still fangirling in excitement. Then, his excitement died down as he soon noticed something absurb. "Yah! Jiyong-ah, why are you on the floor?" he finally asked, in his am-I-really-this-slow-in-discovering-stuff type of face.

"He lost in my chasing game. Now he is tired," replied Sungha, only setting Chanhyuk chuckling at his brief description and the I-did-not-lost expression on Jiyong's face. 

"Okay! Time to work those stamina up. To the gym!" ordered Chanhyuk, dragging Jiyong along as he say. Jiyong groaned lazily as he felt the intense thug from Chanhyuk.

"But guys, what about my good news? Shouldn't we go and celebrate together? C'mon!" pouted Sungha from behind making Jiyong stirred at the statement as he 100% agreed to Sungha, as long as he did not get to workout with this crazy dude pulling him now. But another strong thug from Chanhyuk set Jiyong down from his path.

"No worries, Sungha-ah! We can still celebrate it in the gym, with those treadmills, and dumbells. C'mon! It'll be fun" claimed Chanhyuk, trying to hide his laugh as he said so.

"But hyung.." whined Sungha. 


"Ji Eun-ah! This would look great on you," suggested Hayi as she handled the black-and-white floral printed dress to Ji Eun. Ji Eun examined the piece carefully, only to spot a defect in the garment. A perfectionist, that's what she being called as in her circles.

"Ji Eun, another defect?" groaned Suhyun. Ji Eun could not helped but smiled. She awfully understands the pain of having her, a perfectionist in their circle.

"Sorry girls. I could not help it. Thanks for being my friends and bear with my unreasonable personality," stated Ji Eun in her infamous guilty tone, only to get a slap in the wrist from Hayi.

"Hush! Don't say such thing. That's what friends are for," chuckled Hayi, followed by a friendly high-5 from Suhyun before ended in a laughter, a great way to end the awkward situation. 

"Now, Ji Eun. Be a good girl, and try out this dress," ordered Hayi again, handling Ji Eun the same dress, but without (obvious) defects. Ji Eun happily accepted the dress with a simple chirp of gratitude and off she went to the nearest fitting room. 


"Hello Eomma.

Yes. I'm free to talk now. No worries!

Really? I really got it? Oh my God.. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks Eomma. Love you," beamed Ji Eun as she swiched off her phone screen.

"What was that? A good news? Smiling from ear to ear, I see," anticipated Hayi asked, with Suhyun stayed all perked up at the side.

"Girls, I just got an offer letter from SUST! I couldn't believe my ears," stated Ji Eun, still feeling like she stayed up in the cosmos instead on reality. Being able to enrol in SUST is like the best thing ever happened to her, yet. Both Hayi and Suhyun were so filled with joy, they screamed at the top of their lungs as they hugged Ji Eun proudly. Some passer-by, and even the security guards shot them glares for making too much noises. But it seemed like they did not cared at all for what happened around them. They were too joyful about their bestie's enrolment into her dream University.

"Suhyun! We finally got ourselves another junior! How delightful," claimed Hayi, giving another high-5 to Suhyun.

"C'mon! We need to celebrate this. Hayi, let's drag this princess. We have plenty of shopping to do," ordered Suhyun to Hayi, emphasizing on the word 'princess', referring to no one but Ji Eun. Hayi instantly nodded in agreement and forcing all her might to move the knuckle-headed Ji Eun from stationary phase to motion phase.

"But I'm tired from all those walking," groaned Ji Eun, hoping for sympathy for both Hayi and Suhyun.

"Nonsense," stated Hayi, continuing her dragging Ji Eun job.

"But unnie.." pouted Ji Eun.


"Azuki-chan," called Mother from her desk as she noticed I'm approaching her. "Please have a seat." 

I followed her orders like I am her little kindergarten child. Slowly approaching her side, and taking a seat opposite to hers. Took up courage and faced her, calmly.

"I've got an offer letter for you. You'll going to study in the country's finest University, SUST, Seoul University of Science and Technology," she stated as she slided the letter to me across the well-polished coffee table. I took the letter, only to find  the name 'Azuki Noma' printed largely in front of the torn letter, indicating Mother has already opened it beforehand. 

"The enrolment will be next month. I want you to study here, like a good little girl I'm seeing now. With polite manners, proper clothings, finest discipline and honourable attitude. Don't make me feel ashamed of you. Don't ever bring disgrace to this family. No . Go here, and make Mommy proud," beamed Mother in her daydream character after she ordered everything that I should do in her sternest voice. A chuckle escaped through my throat, making her stirred from her daydream and shifted her fiery glare onto me.

"Was it a chuckle I heard, Azuki-chan?" thundered Mother. I kept quiet, finally losing my courage to face her. I lost my eye-contact with her. Instantly, I could feel the environment was getting icy tense.

"Was it a chuckle I heard?" she said again, louder than usual. Her tone scared the hell out of me. Without any intention, I accidentally nodded. I immediately thought I would be bubbling in hot boiling soup moments later. I probably could not see the clear blue sky ever again! I probably could not meet Daddy ever again! Mother gonna kill me tonight! Maybe she will slice me to pieces then burn my sliced flesh into her office furnace! Who knows? Help me, oh God!

But the situation soon changed 180. 

"I hope you'll change that attitude. There's no need to laugh at people's aim, especially if it is for their children's sake. Do you get me?" she claimed in her cold tone. I left no choice but to nod accordingly. "Good. Get back to your room. It's late. Good night, A-chan."


I stared at the spinning antique ceiling fan. What should I do? Why am I here anyway?

The more I think about this, the more confused I grew. 

But at least I got to enrol into the country's finest University, which I never heard of. It should at least be a joy.