Acting on Impulse

Playboy

Sehun’s POV

 

“What do you have to say about Sehun engaging in an inappropriate workplace relationship?” Well so much for a light start. Thankfully this question seemed to be addressed towards manager hyung so I didn’t have to think on my feet.

 

“As a representative of S.M Entertainment, I would like to make it clear that any relations between EXO member Oh Sehun and assistant Choi Min are entirely appropriate. The photos that have been published have not been manipulated but have been taken out of context. The picture of the two under the bridge by the Han River was not them on a date, but rather on a night out organised by me to let the members get to know their assistants one on one. As for the hug by the street corner, that was simply a sign of forgiveness after an earlier quarrel the two of them had. Rest assured Choi Min is absolutely professional and if there are any feelings at all that Sehun and Min share, they are purely platonic.” I winced at that last sentence. ‘Platonic’ is one of those words that should be on the blacklist for press conferences. It can be so easily manipulated into meaning something else and before I knew it practically half the journalists in the room were on their feet.

 

“Are you suggesting that romance could blossom between them in the near future?” shouted another journalist from right at the back. I looked to my left to see manager hyung sweating slightly and he knew that he should’ve been more careful with his words. Nevertheless he cleared his throat and answered the question confidently.

 

“I am unable to say anything for certain but what i do know is that both Choi Min and Oh Sehun are fully aware of the contracts they signed with SM Entertainment and that it is in their interest to remain professional and refrain from any romantic relations.” If I wasn’t so depressed I would’ve laughed. We were definitely aware of our contracts, or at least the EXO members were. After the whole Baekyeon fiasco we had our contracts read to us on a biweekly basis and we had to recite the key clauses every damn time. But that never stopped you from bending the rules.

 

“Naturally EXO and SM Entertainment will have a bad image because of this incident. Will Choi Min be fired as punishment and to ensure that there will be no chance of a relationship?” From the corner of my eye I could see Min’s lip quivering. She was afraid for her job and I can’t say I blame her. This industry is cutthroat and if she made the slightest mistake that was enough for her to get the sack. I wanted to calm her down, say that she wouldn’t lose her job, but I wasn’t allowed to speak to her and I didn’t have the final say, even though I wish I did. The idea of never seeing her again made my chest feel strange and I really didn’t like this foreign feeling. It’s called heartbreak you jackass. You know what all the girls feel when they wake up after a night of passion with you to see you’re gone?

 

“No, Choi Min will not lose her job. She has been loyal to this company and a simple tabloid misunderstanding is not enough to have her fired.” Manager hyung was more direct this time and as he spoke I could see Min trying to stop the smile from showing on her face. I wish I could’ve seen that smile again. I never appreciated it enough. There’s a lot of things that you don’t appreciate about Choi Min and her smile is just the beginning.

 

Min’s POV

 

Sitting on the stage with all the reporters below, constantly taking photos as if 1000 weren’t enough was absolutely petrifying. I could never be an idol. Being the centre of attention was absolutely terrifying to me and I just couldn’t stand it. While I was sitting there, watching manager oppa answer all the questions that were being fired at him as if it was nothing, I couldn’t help but let my mind wander. I cast my mind back to when I was a hopeless teenager and I read about all the scandals that my favourite groups were involved in. Back then I believed it all, especially when there was photo evidence. But how many were actually true? How many were fabricated from moments taken out of context? How many were true that I never found out about because the company did their best to bury these secrets in the ground and write them off as rumours?

 

As I was thinking all of this, manager oppa been diligently dealing with questions such as ‘Already two fancafes dedicated to Oh Sehun have closed. How do you feel about this?’ and ‘Are you aware that this will affect EXO’s popularity? How are you going to deal with this as a company’. I was starting to feel redundant as no one was asking me or Sehun any questions. But just as I said this, I heard my name being called out and I looked up.

 

“This is a question for Choi Min. Are you aware of the implications that this scandal will have on your future career prospects? If you are fired because of this, will you continue to work in this industry?” It all went quiet after the reporter asked her question and all you could hear were the photographers taking pictures. I couldn’t really figure out what to say or how to say it. It’s not like they teach ‘How to answer questions in press conferences 101’ at school. Nevertheless it’s not like I had much of a choice so I took a big sip of water and answered the question the only way I knew how. By telling the truth.

 

“I have always made professionalism my top priority and will continue to do so. As such I am not going to partake in a relationship with a well-loved idol out of respect for his reputation as well as interest in keeping my job. As EXO’s manager has already stated, I will not lose my job because of this misunderstanding and I am grateful for this. However in terms of advancing my career I will continue to work in this industry and I am hopeful that this story will be dead and buried once you reporters do what you are employed to do and publish the truth behind this unnecessary drama. I am incredibly lucky to have been made a personal assistant at a very successful entertainment company and I would be a fool to give away my position for the sake of love.” I got a bit carried away towards the end but I was happy with my answer and I felt that I didn’t say anything that could be misinterpreted by any of those damn journalists to mean something else for the sake of a ‘good story’.

 

Or so I thought. As soon as I finished speaking, pretty much everyone in the room was on their feet, waving their notebooks in the air and shouting my name. That’s when it dawned on me. I used that word. Love. The one word that manager oppa told me to avoid at all times. I have never felt so stupid in all my life but there was nothing I could do but sit and smile and hope that i don’t dig myself in a deeper hole.

 

“Do you have feelings for Oh Sehun? Do you love him?” Now I don’t know many news companies, but the logo that was on the visitor’s badge which the reporter was wearing made my blood boil. ing Koreaboo. The liar to end all liars. Always looking for the slightest detail that they could spin into an outlandish conspiracy that their stupid readers would believe. Don’t forget you believed them too when you were young.

 

“No, I do not have feelings for Sehun, and no I do not love him. It is in both our interests not to pursue a relationship.” My manager smiled at me, signalling that I had said the right thing but it felt all wrong to me. Was that really the truth? Did I really not have feelings for him? The image of me and Chen popped into my head yet again but I really wish it didn’t. It just made things more complicated. He was the good one after all, the one who has always looked after me. Sehun did nothing but cause trouble. But you can’t date any of them, remember? Being professional, that’s what you said. I sighed when I realised that my subconscious was right. Ultimately I had to decide what was more important to me: my job or my heart.

 

Sehun’s POV

 

I can’t believe she said that. Is that really how she felt? Of course it is, you just ed another girl when things got tough how else is she supposed to feel. All this time I thought that maybe she did feel something for me, and not in the way all those girls who claim to be in love with me feel. Something deeper, stronger. Or at least she once did.

 

“Sehun, how do you feel about Min’s words?” I let myself look at Min and saw nothing but sadness. Sure she was smiling but it didn’t fool me. But why would she be sad if she was telling the truth about not caring for me? Maybe she did care.. Maybe this was all for the sake of the press. That she really did feel something more. After all, everyone bends the truth a little for the press. It was a long shot, given all the ty things that I’ve done to her, but it was a shot worth taking. She’d done so much for me. Now it’s time to give something back.

 

“I respect Min’s words, but I cannot say that I share her feelings.” There was absolute silence on the room. Even the photographers stopped what they were doing and just stood in shock at what I had said. I was waiting for the inevitable follow up question and eventually it came.

 

“Are you saying that you have romantic feelings towards your assistant?” I didn’t look at anyone when I was asked the question. I just looked straight ahead at the ticking clock at the back of the room. I knew what I had to say. Just two little words. Two little words that would change it all. Not just my reputation, or the Korean music industry. It would change everything I am. And i was ready for that change.

“I do.”


Hello my dear readers! I really hope that you enjoy this update I know it's a bit short. I'm not sure if I'm still on hiatus or not, or if I will continue this story or not. It ultimately depends on how much people care about this story and how many people want to see it progress. But nevertheless if you're reading this message, thank you for still staying subscribed and supporting me :)