Sungmin's Story

Super Junior: Love Series

“You packed in the morning I, stared out my window and I, struggled for something to say. You left in the rain without closing the door, I didn’t stand in your way. Now I love you more than I loved you before and now where I’ll find comfort God knows. ‘Cause you left me just when I need you most.”

 

Applause erupted as Sungmin ended the song with the last strum from his guitar. He opened his eyes to find the University’s music room filled with girls. He softly smiled to himself before standing up and putting his baby into the guitar case.

 

This was typical for him. The girls, the applause, and the attention. As Sungmin began to make his leave a couple of freshman college girls surrounded him and asked for his autograph. Being the polite gentleman he is Sungmin agreed and began signing one by one. After thirty minutes of doing so, he excused himself and began to make his exit out of the music room.

 

Usually when Sungmin finished his practice session, he would go straight to the cafeteria and get a bite to eat before his Music Theory class. As he made his way through, Sungmin’s keen sense of listening tuned in on one particular voice. His eyes opened wide and his head snapped to the direction of the voice. Without really thinking, Sungmin began to follow that sweet angelic voice.

 

“Nobody gunna love me better, I must stick with you forever. Nobody gunna take me higher, I must stick with you. You know how to appreciate me, I must stick with you my baby. Nobody ever made me feel this way, I must stick with you.”

 

Sungmin found his way into an empty classroom. Sitting alone at a desk, was a girl, writing away in a notebook. She had dark red long hair that cascaded past her shoulders. Her back was turned to Sungmin. Large headphones were on top of her head. The song she was currently listening and singing too had just ended. A few seconds later, a new song began to play and once again the girl began to sing.

 

"Boy I hear you, in my dreams. I feel your whispers across the sea. I keep you with me in my heart. You make it easier when life gets hard."

 

Mesmerized, Sungmin instinctively opened his guitar case and began to strum the chords of lucky.

 

Sungmin entered on the chorus.

 

"I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend. Lucky to have been where I have been. Lucky to be coming home again. Ohh Ohhh Ohh Ohhh."

 

Sungmin saw the girl slowly take off her headphones, turn around, and continue to sing with Sungmin. He smiled at her as her part of the song came.

 

They continued on like this until the song ended. Sungmin strummed the last chord, he looked up at her again.

 

She stared at him with an intriguing expression on her face.

 

Suddenly the bell rang signaling it was time to proceed on to the next class. It was 6:00p.m.The sun was starting to set and the sky was turning dark. The girl looked out of the window with alarming eyes. She quickly packed all her stuff and sprinted out the door. As she had ran out the door, her headphones fell from the books she was clutching on. Sungmin picked it up.

 

"Wait!" He called out. He hastily packed his guitar in his case and ran after her.

 

The hallways of the school seemed endless as Sungmin ran. She was considerably ahead of him and Sungmin wasn't much of an athlete except when he took martial arts when he was a kid. He saw her sharply turn around the corner to the swimming pool up on the roof of the university building. Sungmin raced up the stairs and opened the two double doors. It was pitch black. The sun had completely set now. No lights were on, not even the pool lights. The moonlight shone meekly through the windows. His shoes clicked as he walked around the tiled floor of the room.

 

"Hello?" Sungmin called out. "I know you ran in here!"

 

Suddenly, a splash was made. Sungmin alertly looked in the pool to see what had splashed in the water. Waves could be seen since the pool had been freshly jumped into.

 

Sungmin rolled up his pants and took off his shoes. He sat at the edge of the in ground swimming pool and put his feet into the water.

 

"I know you're in here. There’s no way you can stay down there or more than a minute."

 

After five minutes passed, Sungmin began to worry. No one was coming up beneath from the water. Sungmin pulled his guitar case close to him and took out the guitar. His graceful hands touched the stringed instrument and he began to play a sweet melody.

 

Suddenly a purple hue glowed beneath the pool water. Intrigued, Sungmin continued to play the sweet melody. Sure enough a dark red head popped out of the water. Sungmin stopped playing as he starred at the creature before him.

 

Sungmin gripped his guitar closer to his chest as he hesitantly asked, "What are you?"

 

The girl from before had completely transformed. She had the same long red hair but much longer and in thicker waves. Her hair practically surrounded her body. Her face was small with goddess like features. but what struck Sungmin the most were her piercing bright purple eyes. If this was a joke, Sungmin wasn't finding any of it funny.

 

"If I told you," She replied. "You wouldn't believe me."

 

"Well," said Sungmin. "Try me."

 

She starred up at him with her bright purple eyes. A small smirk appeared as she grabbed onto Sungmin's arm and pulled him beneath the water.

 

Shocked by the sudden entrance of water, Sungmin flailed his arms and legs around. Suddenly, he felt cold hands reach for his own.

 

In his head he heard, "Calm down and open your eyes."

 

Sungmin did as he was told and opened his eyes. There in front of him was her. "Oh my god." said Sungmin in his head. "You're a mermaid!"

 

Her tail started at her waist and ended where human feet would be. It had a deep emerald color and the sparkles on her tail glittered purple. She was practically bare on top except for two large ivory clamshells that somehow held together with seaweed as if it were a bikini. Her long red hair floated magically around her.

 

She smiled at him. "Yes, I'm a mermaid."

 

"How are we under water for so long?"

 

"We're holding hands right now. That purple glow is my mermaid abilities and energy being shared with you. If I or you let go, you'd suffocate and drown. We're communicated through the mind. Once we leave my water abilities will be gone from you."

 

With the strength of her tail, she pulled herself and Sungmin to surface. Sungmin held on to the edge of the pool and struggled to get air back in his lungs. He hoisted himself up and out of the pool. He turned to lay his body on the cold tiled floor and faced her.

 

She cocked her head to the side. "Did I scare you?"

 

Sungmin shook his head.

 

She reached up to his face and placed her cold hand on his cheek. "You're cute...and warm. Let's be friends! I'm Mirae."

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Sungmin ran into the nearby sushi place on campus. He opened the door and was greeted by the smell of raw fish.

 

"Hi," said Sungmin to the cashier. "Can I have two orders of sashimi?"

 

The man behind the counter starred at him.

 

Sungmin looked down at himself and realized he was soaking wet and dripping all over the place. "Um...fell into the swimming pool. It happens."

 

The man slowly nodded accepting Sungmin's excuse. "What kind?"

 

"Just mix it up please. It doesn't matter as long as its sashimi."

 

Ten minutes later the cashier came back with a bag filled with sashimi and a small plastic cup of soy sauce. Sungmin thanks the cashier and paid him. He rushed back into campus and up to the swimming pool.

 

"Mirae?"

 

A head popped out of the water with a smile.

 

Sungmin ran over and handed her the bag of sashimi.

 

"Yummy fishies!" squealed Mirae as she opened the bag of sashimi. Her slender fingers picked out a raw fish and her eyes once again glowed. As she stuffed her face, Mirae pointed behind Sungmin. "There are towels over there. Dry yourself before you catch something. I'm so hungry!"

 

Sungmin walked over to the stack of towels. He took off his shirt and began drying himself up. He rolled up his jeans and took off his socks. After he was done he turned to go back to Mirae while drying his hair with another dry towel.

 

Sungmin watched amusingly as Mirae scorffed down the sashimi. "Can you tell me more about you? I feel like you're not real."

 

"I'm real," smiled Mirae her cheeks filled to the brim with sashimi. "I'm as real as you. I can touch and feel. I can walk...well only during the day. I can speak in your language. I have feelings. I'm just like you!"

 

"What was that about under there?" said Sungmin nodding at the water.

 

"It's my mermaid powers. Mermaids can read each others minds underwater. Its easier for us anyways."

 

"Is that all you can do?"

 

Mirae shook her head no. "You'll just have to find out about that later." She threw the now empty plastic bag of sashimi at Sungmin.

 

He caught it with his hand. "Fine, but tell me why you glow purple. Like your eyes."

 

"Every mermaid has a certain variation of a color. Mine is a bright purple. This color represents our life. If it dulls or fades away, that means we're dieing. We all can't live without water."

 

Sungmin nodded in awe. He never knew something magical like, let alone a mermaid, would ever exists. Sungmin found her to be intriguing.

 

Sungmin put his hand into the pool water and made little waves. "If you can't live without water, then why are you here on land?"

 

"Do you know the American movie The Little Mermaid?" asked Mirae.

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

"I've never been on land and I just wanted to try out what Ariel was doing. Minus the whole prince charming thing. I wanted to go to school here. I wanted to walk on land without a tail. There’s no such thing as a university down there. So I told my dad I wanted to come here. He was mad at first but he's over it now."

 

"How'd you convince him to let you come here?"

 

Mirae shrugged. "I left."

 

"Well that seems very filial." joked Sungmin.

 

"Hey, I can't get caught. You're the only one I told this about. So I trust you. You can't tell anyone."

 

"Fine fine." agreed Sungmin. 

 

The two continued to talk in the pool room and sharing their thoughts on being a human and being a mermaid.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

2 weeks later, a crowd of students gathered around the campus bulletin board scrambling to see what was on it. Sungmin, like these students, were just as curious.

 

A single poster hung on the all brown and bare board. The poster was the announcement of the upcoming end of the term music show, The Showcase. The college as a whole was not specifically a music school but it did have one of the best programs in the country. Each end of the term, the school announced The Showcase to show a aspiring musicians talents. All students are welcomed and the winner receives one year free scholarship at the university. Sungmin never participated in these events because he always thought he wasn't good enough that it would be pointless in trying. But this year, he may just win.

 

Sungmin instantly thought about Mirae's amazing singing voice. She had talent. It needed to be heard. Sungmin checked the time on his phone. It was almost lunch time and he wondered if Mirae was hungry.

 

"Looking for me?"

 

Sungmin turned around to find Mirae smiling at him. 

 

Sungmin pulled her aside. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

 

"But I heard you were hungry." She said as she tapped her finger to her head with a playful grin on her face. "I'm starving too!" 

 

"How are you still reading my mind?" Sungmin asked sternly.

 

"I'm a mermaid remember?"

 

"Shh!" Sungmin looked around him. Everyone was too busy looking at the bulletin board. "Do you want someone to hear?"

 

Mirae patted Sungmin's shoulder. "Don't worry. No one heard us." She looked past Sungmin and saw the many people. "What's that about?"

 

"That's what I wanted to talk about with you. Come on let's go find somewhere to eat."

 

A couple of minutes later, Sungmin and Mirae entered the restaurant that fit exactly to Mirae's taste. The sushi shop Sungmin ran into that first night he met Mirae. The man behind the counter recognized Sungmin right away as he ordered. They sat at a table by the window as they waited for their food. 

 

"Ah, so this is the place where you got my sashimi. Usually I just go around and get them at ponds or rivers or something." said Mirae with the chopsticks in her hands, looking around the restaurant like a little kid. 

 

Sungmin laughed in his head. This girl. The large order of sashimi was then brought out. Mirae immediately dug in.

 

"I wanted to talk to you about what was on that bulletin board."

 

Mirae nodded for him to go on as she stuffed her face.

 

"It's a contest. Every end of a semester they have some kind of contest for a particular major. This semester is the music major contest called The Showcase. Its where all the musicians or non-musicians can come together to compete for the prize of one whole year free scholarship. I want you and me to enter. As a duet."

 

Mirae suddenly stopped eating and stared at Sungmin. "You want me to enter with you?"

 

Sungmin nodded. "I think we could really win."

 

Mirae shook her head declining the offer. "No, I can't. No way."

 

Shocked at her disapproval Sungmin asked, "Wait why? I think it'll be really fun!"

 

Mirae didn't answer him.

 

"Oh come one Mirae. Please? For me? I'm just a college student. I've never done this before and if winning a one year free scholarship, well that's an added bonus!" Sungmin pouted his lips and gave her his baby face look. "Pleeeaassseeeee." He could see Mirae slowly give in to his cuteness. Just a little more...

 

"Fine." Mirae went back to eating her sashimi. "As long as I get to choose the song."

 

Sungmin grinned from ear to ear. "Fine!"

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

"Traditional music?!"

 

 Mirae shook his finger at him. "Not just any traditional music. Mermaid traditional music."

 

Sungmin didn't know how to approach this situation. He did promise her that she could choose the song. But really? Mermaid traditional music?!

 

"Mirae, I don't know if people will even know what that is..."

 

"It's beautiful! I wish I could show it to you somehow..."

 

Sungmin closed his eyes and prayed in his head that he wouldn't have to listen to traditional music.

 

"Oh, I know!" Mirae had a small smirk form on her lips. "Let's go on a field trip."

 

"Field trip?"

 

A few walks and bus trips later Sungmin and Mirae stopped in front of a building.

 

Mirae, with her hands to her hips, announced, "This is what you humans call a mu...museum. Right?"

 

Sungmin slowly nodded. "Yes, but what are we doing here?"

 

Mirae pointed, with her finger, the banner hanging above the entrance to the museum.

 

"The SeoulMuseumof Art and Music presents the 25th Ocean Exhibition."

 

Mirae took hold of Sungmin's hand in hers. "Come on, let's go in!"

 

Sungmin followed her. Inside the museum was decorated elaborately with different colors of blue and silver tapestry draped over the arches of the museum. A gigantic paper mache whale stood proudly in the center for all to see. Mirae pulled Sungmin into the 'Magical Creatures' exhibit. 

 

"Where did you learn about this?" asked Sungmin.

 

"I read it on the bulletin board at school before they put up that The Showcase poster." replied Mirae as she stopped at a display case to press her face against it. "I have a lot of these at home!"

 

Sungmin took a look at what Mirae was gushing about. The display had two mirrors brandished in age. The detailing was intricate and had a mermaid engraved in precious gems. It was beautiful.

 

He turned to Mirae and smiled at her cuteness. He felt so close to her for some odd reason. As if they had been friends for many years. It was only about 2 weeks since they met.

 

Suddenly, Mirae sharply turned her head to the sign. Sungmin could see her ear twitch. She began to move further into the exhibit and Sungmin followed afterward. Sungmin began to hear a distinct sound, one he had never heard of before. Was this the mermaid music she was talking about? It was sweet and enchanting.

 

"Isn't it pretty?" asked Mirae.

 

"It is but there are no words to it."

 

"Exactly."

 

"Exactly?" asked Sungmin. "What do you mean exactly?"

 

"We make our own original! Down underwater, we like to get creative as possible."

 

"Mirae, making an original song takes work especially for amateurs like us." said Sungmin. "Its not as easy as 1 2 3."

 

Mirae put her hand on his shoulder. "But you've got to be optimistic about this. Its better than doing just any old song. If you need inspiration, its right here. Have you ever heard anyone ever sing to this before?"

 

"No..."

 

"So, we'll do it!" yelled Mirae.

 

"But we only have until the end of the month."

 

Mirae shrugged. "That just means we need to start now."

 

Sungmin sighed. "Then I have somewhere I want to take you."

 

Mirae looked at him puzzled. "Where?"

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

"Umma! I'm home!" Sungmin took off his shoes at the entrance and walked into his home. He turned around and found Mirae starring at him. "You take off your shoes first and then come inside."

 

Mirae did as she was told and took off her shoes. "Is this your home?"

 

Sungmin nodded yes.

 

"Sungmin-ah!"

 

Sungmin turned around and there was his mom with her arms open ready for Sungmin to hug her. It had been months since he had last seen his parents. Sungmin usually lived on campus and it was hard to see his parents because of his school work and double major. Sungmin's parents did support his dream of becoming a singer or something in the music business one day but they also wanted him to face the reality. Music may or may not happen for him. So, for Sungmin to study music in his university he also had to be a business major. He did like money anyways. Who doesn't?

 

"How's school? Have you been eating well? And who's this GIRL?!"

 

Sungmin chuckled at her reaction. "This is Mirae. She's in the..."

 

"Psychology major." She stepped up and bowed her head. "Hello I'm Mirae."

 

"Would you like something to eat or drink Mirae? Here you two come here and sit on the couch, I'll quickly set out a snack for you two to eat."

 

"Mom, that’s okay we'll be in my room. You can bring the snacks in there if you want."

 

His mom nodded happily as she bounced off to the kitchen to prepare the snacks for them. Sungmin motioned for Mirae to follow him.

 

They walked up the stairs and Sungmin opened the door to his room.

 

"Wow…what are all these things called?!"

 

A bed was pushed against the cream wall to make space for the keyboard, electric guitar, amp, mics, headphones, a switchboard on top of a desk along with a MAC computer. Sungmin set down his acoustic guitar, that he brought with him everywhere, on the floor.

 

"This is what I call a studio room. Do you know what a studio is Mirae?"

 

"Isn't it like a place where you make music but why is it you sleep here too?"

 

Sungmin chuckled. "There’s no more room in this house. So I saved up some money working odd jobs here and there and I eventually got all this for my room."

 

Mirae drifted over the keyboard and put her fingers to it. "Is this a piano? Why isn't it made out of shells?"

 

"Shells?"

 

"Yeah, shells. I used to take lessons. How do you turn this on?"

 

Sungmin came over and pressed a button. He pulled out the swivel chair for Mirae to sit on. She sat on the chair and began to play. It was the same sweet melody they had heard in the museum.

 

Sungmin quickly his computer and pressed the record button as Mirae played.

 

As Mirae finished, Sungmin motioned her to stand next to him. He replayed the melody for her.

 

“How’d you do that?!”

 

Sungmin wiggled his eyebrows with a smile. “Technology.”

 

“Techno? What is that? Techno…”

 

Sungmin shook his head with a laugh. “Go and play it again.” He joined her with his guitar.

 

Another hour flew by as Sungmin and Mirae continued to perfect the melody.

 

Suddenly, Mirae stood up from her seat and asked to go to the bathroom.

 

As Sungmin fiddled with the melody on his guitar, he suddenly heard hurried footsteps and a crash.

 

“Sungmin-ah?” yelled his mom from downstairs. “What happened?!”

 

Sungmin set his guitar at the side as he said, “Uh…I dropped some book on the floor!”

 

“Oh. Okay! Be careful! Do you need more snacks?”

 

“No, it’s okay.”

 

Sungmin exited his room and made his way to the bathroom. With his hands he lightly knocked on the door.

 

“Mirae? Mirae?” He whispered. “Are you alright? Is something wrong?”

 

Suddenly the bathroom door swung open. A hand grabbed for Sungmin and pulled him in.

 

“Sungmin, look at my legs!”

 

Sungmin looked down to find green and purple scales start to appear. Sungmin searched for his old cell phone in his pocket to find out the time. “It’s 5:30! We have to go.”

 

Sungmin grabbed Mirae’s hand as the two of them raced downstairs.

 

“Mom, we have to go now!” yelled Sungmin as he slipped on his shoes. “We’ll be back tomorrow morning!”

 

His mom was speechless as they dashed out of the house as fast as lightning. They arrived at the bus stop. Sungmin looked up to the sky and the sun was slowly beginning to set.

 

“We won’t make it in time.” said Sungmin looking around him thinking what to do.

 

“Isn’t there any pace with water I can jump into?!”

 

“The Han River!”

 

Sungmin led as they once again began to run. The Han Riverwas a good fifteen minutes away by walking but if they ran fast enough they would be there in five. They quickly found a secluded area. Sungmin watched as Mirae quickly jumped into the river. He sighed in relief. It was exactly 6:00 p.m.and the sun had set. They made it.

 

Sungmin searched in the water for Mirae. “Mirae!”

 

A red headed head popped up with a smile.

 

“Right here!” She waved.

 

Sungmin sat by the water. “Yah, why didn’t you tell me earlier that it was almost six. You could have gotten caught.”

 

“I was having too much fun.” replied Mirae. “Besides, you won’t ever let that happen.”

 

“Let what happen?”

 

“My secret being revealed.”

 

Sungmin starred into her dark purple eyes. “How do you know that?”

 

“Because…I can tell you have a kind heart and a good soul.”

 

They smiled at each other. Sungmin felt touched. He never did think of himself that way.

 

He laid down on the sandy area, closed his eyes and began to hum the tune of their uncompleted song.

 

Mirae hummed along with him and for the rest of the night, they stayed there enjoying each others presence.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Tell me how did we get. Here.” sang Mirae into the microphone.

 

“Okay good. That sounds good. Let’s start from the beginning again.”

 

“Again?!”

 

Sungmin looked up from his computer and saw Mirae plop down on his bed. “Come on Mirae. The showcase is in two weeks. We need to get this done.”

 

It had been a full good month since they started working on their original song. With school and other priorities, the endless nights of music had wiped the two out. But it had to be done.

 

Mirae had even gotten used to not transforming at night. She would stay clear of any water and had to focus on not transforming during the sunset. Sometimes her hair and her eyes would change but her tail wouldn’t appear. Another time her hair and eyes wouldn’t change but her tail would be out and flipping about. It was hard to do it at nights. It was getting hard to hide it away from his parents but they somehow managed every night they would work on the song.

 

Sungmin got up from his chair and sat beside Mirae on the bed. Tonight, her red hair and purple eyes decided to come out.

 

“We’ll take a break. Are you hungry?”

 

“Surprisingly, no.” She said as she closed her eyes.

 

It was only after 6 and she was this tired. Sungmin realized her sleeping patterns must be way off now. Her energy was probably drained as well because of not transforming. He was used to this lifestyle. Whenever there were exams or essays he had to write, Sungmin always pulled an all nighter. Also, she was probably weak from preventing herself from transforming. He felt bad, he had asked her not too and to stay late with him. His fingers began to play with her hair as he watched her sleep.  She looked so peaceful as if she was dreaming a sweet dream.

 

Suddenly, Sungmin sprang up from the bed and ran to the computer. He began to write more lyrics.

 

“When I look at you I remember my forgotten happy dreams…” muttered Sungmin as he wrote the lyrics. “The dream like memories…”

 

Two hours later, Sungmin was still revising the lyrics. He was hunched over his desk mindlessly adding and scratching out lines that did or did not fit.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Revising lyrics,” Sungmin said without turning around. “You can still sleep more if you want.”

 

He heard Mirae jump off of bed and walk to his side. “I feel better. Do you have that drink? What’s that…it’s brown and smells really good?”

 

Sungmin chuckled. “You mean coffee?” He stood up. “Okay, wait here and I’ll get it for you. Can you read through these lyrics for me? I changed some.”

 

Mirae nodded. “Okay,” She took his seat and began reading.

 

Sungmin went down stairs and found his mom and dad in the living room watching T.V. together.

 

“Oh, you guys are down here?” asked Sungmin as he made his way to the kitchen. He took out the coffee pot and beans.

 

His mom turned her head around at him. “Are you making coffee for Mirae?”

 

“You two have been up there a lot lately,” said his dad.

 

Sungmin let out a laugh. “We’re just writing a song for The Showcase dad. How many times do I have to tell you this?”

 

His parents laughed.

 

The coffee had finished brewing and Sungmin put it into two cups. He walked up the stairs and heard Mirae trying out the lyrics.

 

When I look at you I remember my forgotten happy dreams, the young me. You always give me a smile. To tomorrow, which will be even more amazing than yesterday.

 

Sungmin stood by the doorway. “Do you like it?”

 

Mirae nodded. “I like it,” She stood up and got her coffee from Sungmin. “Thank you.” She took a sip. “Let’s finish the chorus?”

 

Sungmin smiled. “Let’s.”

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

The Showcase was in one week and Sungmin was nervous. Mirae and Sungmin had finally finished the final cut of the song. It sounded perfect. They had interrupted the mermaid melody but adding a nice R&B feel to it. Sungmin had no doubt that they were going to win.

 

Tonight, they were at the EastSeain celebration of the finished song. Mirae was happily swimming the salty water and Sungmin stayed on shore. She was so happy to be in the water after over a month and a half without it. Sungmin smiled at her happiness in the water.

 

“Are you happy?” He asked.

 

Mirae smiled brightly. “Yes, I’m happy I’m in the water and that we finally finished the song! You know what I’m in the mood for?”

 

“What?”

 

“Sashimi!”

 

Sungmin chuckled. “Alright, I’ll go get it for you.”

 

“Thank you!”

 

Sungmin got up and wiped the sand off his pants. He began walking along the boardwalk looking for a sushi place. After he got her favorite sashimi, Sungmin began walking back swinging the black plastic bag. As he got closer to the beach he suddenly saw something in the water talking to Mirae.

 

“Mirae?!” Sungmin called out.

 

He heard a quick splash as Sungmin ran up to Mirae. “What was that?!” He asked her.

 

Mirae looked up at him. “It’s nothing Sungmin.”

 

“Was it your dad?” asked Sungmin.

 

Mirae shook her head. “No, it was nothing Sungmin. Don’t worry about it!”

 

Sungmin looked at her. “Fine, here’s your sashimi.” He gave her the bag.

 

“Sungmin, don’t be angry it really was nothing!”

 

Sungmin nodded, calming down. “Okay, okay.”

 

Mirae got out of the water and slid onto shore. She let her tail stay as she opened the bag of sashimi. “Come, eat this with me.”

 

Sungmin took a piece of sashimi. “Well, that’s a first you’re actually offering me one!”

 

Mirae laughed. “Eat it, before I take it back.”

 

As they ate their sashimi Sungmin asked, “Are you nervous?”

 

“For what?”

 

“The Showcase.”

 

“Of course I’m nervous!”

 

Sungmin motioned Mirae to come closer. As she came, he pinched her cheeks. “Don’t be nervous.”

 

“Oh, why are you doing that,” said Mirae playfully slapping Sungmin’s hand away.

 

Sungmin stuck out his tongue. “Because you’re cute.”

 

Mirae put her hands to her face. “Am I really?”

 

“Nope!” Sungmin laughed once again as Mirae hit him in the arm playfully.

 

The week flew by and soon enough it was the day of The Showcase. Sungmin and Mirae had spent the whole day yesterday shopping for outfits. Plus, he had to keep Mirae from having a nervous breakdown. It was the first time she had done shopping in a large department store and it scared her. Sungmin didn’t understand why but he found it cute.

 

That afternoon they were at his house rehearsing the song and getting ready for The Showcase. After they rehearsed for the millionth time, Mirae went off to the bathroom and changed into her outfit.

 

“How do I look?”

 

Sungmin looked up and found Mirae standing in the doorway. She was wearing a dark emerald green dress that complimented her hair color. It had a long v-neck that only showed enough. It was very flattering. Her hair was down in her usual wavy red haired style except with a champagne headband on her head. On her feet were silver closed toe heels. (http://www.wholesale-dress.net/images/200907/1247867513133770567.jpg) She looked so pretty.

 

“Wow, Daebak!”

 

“Daebak?”

 

“As in great awesome wow!”

 

Mirae nodded. “Oh okay,” She twirled around in her dress. “Is it really pretty?”

 

Sungmin nodded. He grabbed his bags of clothes. “I’m going to go change!”

 

A few minutes later, Sungmin appeared in his bedroom all dressed. He was wearing black skinny jeans, a white tailored shirt under a silver vest with an emerald green bow to compliment Mirae’s dress.

 

They stood in front of the mirror together.

 

“How can we look so good?” said Sungmin admiring their looks in the mirror. They looked like a couple that just stepped out of a magazine.  Sungmin looked at Mirae and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

 

“Will you be okay for tonight? You know…about transforming and all?”

 

Mirae nodded with assurance. “I’ve been prepping myself not to transform at all. I should be good for tonight.”

 

Sungmin pulled Mirae closer to him and hugged her. “Thank you for everything Mirae, really.” He her hair. “I know it’s been hard on you but I’ll always be there for you when you need me like you have.”

 

Mirae hugged him back. “I should thank you.”

 

“For what?” asked Sungmin.

 

“For keeping my secret for so long,” She kissed him on the cheek. “Now, let’s go kill that showcase.”

 

They went downstairs to the garage. Sungmin had asked his father to borrow the car. As they made their way to the university, Sungmin put in their C.D. and began to listen it. As he drove he looked over at Mirae who had her eyes closed. She was mumbling the lyrics so that she wouldn’t forget.

 

Soon enough, they arrived at their university campus. The performers were already filing in the auditorium getting ready for the show. Sungmin and Mirae made way to their dressing room which was being shared by others as well.

 

Suddenly Mirae grabbed onto Sungmin’s arm.

 

“What’s wrong?” He whispered in her ear.

 

She shook her head. “It’s almost 6 isn’t it?”

 

Sungmin looked up at the clock. It was five minutes to 6. “Do you need to go to the bathroom?”

 

Mirae nodded.

 

Sungmin held her hand and led her through the halls and into the bathroom. Mirae looked at him urging him to come in the bathroom with her. Sungmin sighed and followed her in. He watched as Mirae gripped the sink with her hands. She closed her eyes and began breathing deeply. Sungmin walked beside her and began rubbing her back.

 

“We don’t have to do this Mirae, if you’re not feeling up for it. There’s always a next time.”

 

Mirae shook her head. “No, I have to do this.”

 

A few minutes had passed and Mirae opened her eyes. Sungmin quickly looked her over.

 

“You didn’t transform!”

 

Mirae looked at herself in the mirror. “I didn’t? Oh, I really didn’t!”

 

Sungmin took her arm. “Let’s go and do a quick rehearsal!”

 

They quickly ran off and did a sound check. Before they knew it The Showcase was going to start in five minutes. Sungmin and Mirae were set to go up last. That meant they had a good amount of time to calm their nerves and scope out the competition. They took their seats at the front row with their performance order. Sungmin looked around him and found the auditorium slowly begin to fill with people.

 

As everyone settled in, all the lights were turned off making the auditorium pitch black. A single spotlight appeared on the stage and out walked the MC for The Showcase.

 

“Hello, everyone! Welcome to The Showcase. This year we have a lot of performers here today. We’re all really excited to show everyone what our students are made of. At the end of the show, we’ll have you the audience vote for their favorite performer. The winner will receive a free one year scholarship here at the university!”

 

A thunderous applause erupted throughout the auditorium.

 

“So now without further adieu let’s welcome our first contestant, Shin Minyook and the Invincibles!”

 

Sungmin turned to Mirae who had closed her eyes once again. A tear began to slowly slip from her eyes.

 

Sungmin looked at her with a worried expression. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing, I really like this song.”

 

Sungmin took Mirae’s hand and caressed it. “Don’t be nervous…”

 

Contestant after contestant continued to go up on stage. Sungmin became intrigued by the many acts on stage. There were rap performances, hip hop performances, fun dance songs, bands, and even a musical comedy act. Although they were all good, Sungmin was still confident that Mirae and him would take the prize home.

 

Prior to the second to last act, Sungmin and Mirae were instructed to go back stage and get set up for the performance.  They were set up at opposite sides of the stage and it was Mirae who was instructed to go first.

 

Sungmin looked over at Mirae and mouthed the words fighting to her.

 

“Our final act for tonight will be a sweet treat for everyone here. We have dual major Lee Sungmin and Mirae!”

 

Sungmin closed his eyes as the first few chords of their song began to play. Then, he heard Mirae’s voice.

 

I’ve gone through so many shallow relationships. I thought you’d brush past like that too. But as time went by, I realized you were a little different. There was no pretense, you showed me your whole heart.”

 

Sungmin smiled to himself. Beautiful.

 

I don’t wanna see you cry. When I look at you I remember my forgotten happy dreams, the young me. You always give me a smile. To Tomorrow, which will be even more amazing than yesterday.

 

It was time for Sungmin to join.

 

Tell me how did we get, the dream like memories. How did we get, the painful tears too. How did we get (we get), this far. How did we get (How did we get). It’s because we’ve walked here together. Now (now) I (I) Won’t let go of your hand.

 

Sungmin began to walk towards Mirae who was looking at him with a smile.

 

The one person who lit up my life. While always shining like a dazzling star. You wouldn’t believe how earnestly I’ve been wanting to find you. But I don’t wanna let you down. I was a coward, but since seeing you I’ve been growing more and more. You always give me a dream. Only for you, who’s become my future.

 

Sungmin took hold of Mirae’s hand as they sang the chorus.

 

Tell me how did we get, the dream like memories. How did we get, the painful tears too. How did we get (we get), this far. How did we get (How did we get). It’s because we’ve walked here together. Now (now) I (I) Won’t let go of your hand.

 

Sungmin saw small tears appear in Mirae’s eyes as they sang the last bit of the song.

 

You and me (You and me) The two of us (The two of us) We’ll walk together from now on.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtlakzq1J9E

 

As the last notes of the song ended, a deafening round of applause began to ensue throughout the auditorium. Sungmin squeezed Mirae’s hand as he smiled into the audience.

 

They exited the stage and were immediately swarmed by all the previous performers congratulating them at a good job. Sungmin let go of Mirae’s hand for a split second while high fiving his other music major colleagues.

 

He turned around and suddenly Mirae was gone. He pushed through the crowd and with his eyes began searching for a red headed girl. What just happened? Where did she go?

 

Suddenly he spotted her making her way towards the exit.

 

“Mirae!”

 

Once her name was called, she ran faster and out of the auditorium. Sungmin began to chase after her.

 

He followed her through the dark streets of Seouluntil she turned a corner and disappeared. Sungmin frantically looked around him.

 

“Where did she go?!” He screamed out loud. “Think Sungmin, think! Where would she go?”

 

And then it hit him. Water. The nearest body of water was the Han River. Sungmin began to run all his might to the Han River.

 

He spotted her again. “Mirae!”

 

She was quickly taking off her high heels. She looked at him. Her long red hair was let loose and her eyes were the color of purple.

 

“Are you turning back into a mermaid? Is that it? You didn’t have to run away like that!” said Sungmin coming closer to her.

 

“No, don’t!” Mirae said stopping him in his tracks. “Don’t come near me!”

 

“Why, what’s wrong? Mirae!” Sungmin ran to her and grabbed her arm. “Tell me what’s wrong!”

 

Tears began to spill from Mirae’s eyes. “Stop it, I have to go. Sungmin I have to go!”

 

“Go where?!”

 

“Home!”

 

“Home?! Why are you going home? You hate it down there!”

 

“Sungmin I’m going to die! Today’s my last day here on land! I have to go back or else…I’ll never see you again.”

 

“What are you talking about Mirae, you look fine to me!”

 

“I’ve been only able to stop myself from transforming because I’ve been losing my powers little by little. Today’s the last day Sungmin please just let me go!”

 

Sungmin could feel his own tears begin to appear. “Why…why didn’t you tell me about this sooner? Is that why someone came to you in the water?”

 

“Yes, it was a warning on how much life I had left. It would only last me this week. Look, this showcase means everything to you. Who am I to hinder that from you? I wanted to leave the best memories of me and you together before I leave. So please Sungmin let me leave like this.” Mirae began to turn around and walk away.

 

“Mirae wait!”

 

She turned to him.

 

“I love you!”

 

He saw Mirae softly smile. “I love you too…”

 

With that, she jumped into the river leaving behind her dress and shoes. Sungmin quickly ran to see if he could get any glimpse of her but there was none. He took her clothes in his hands, sat on the sand, and began to cry uncontrollably.

 

Back at the university’s auditorium, the winner of The Showcase was being announced.

 

“The winner of this year’s Showcase is…Lee Sungmin and Mirae!”

 

Thunderous applause awaited for the winners that were never going to come.

 

“The winners are Lee Sungmin and Mirae!”

 

One Year Later…

 

Sungmin woke up to the crashing waves of the EastSea. He opened his eyes to a bright morning. He looked around him and found that he had fallen asleep on the sand with his guitar.

 

“There you are, I’ve been waiting for you to wake up.”

 

Sungmin looked up and found a figure shielding the sun from his eyes. Long red hair…

 

“Mirae?”

 

She came into his view and smiled down at him. “I’ve missed you.”

 

Sungmin quickly pulled her into a hug. He held her close and buried his face into her hair. “Where have you been?”

 

“It’s taken me a while to become a human hasn’t it?”

 

“A human?” Sungmin asked as he looked at her.

 

Mirae nodded. “A human.”

 

Sungmin took her face in his hands and kissed her lips passionately. Never wanting to ever let her go again.

 

This was the end of Lee Sungmin’s story and how he had fallen in love with a mermaid. Scratch that. How he had fallen in love with a girl.

 

[A/N I don't own the song How Did We Get. This song is by Lee Hyori featuring Daesung from Big Bang. I don't own the song nor ever intend too. I just used it for the purpose of this fanfic because I don't write original songs or anything like that :D Anyways....FINALLY AN UPDATE GUYS! I'm on break and I thought I would finish this this week. And I did...so enjoy. Even though I really don't like how this storyline came to be....but whatever...:D]