Shindong's Story

Super Junior: Love Series

[A/N: sorry for the very long wait but finally Shindong's Story is here! :) This chap is 11 pages on microsoft word, honestly the longest ever. I was going to make it shorter but I guess not. A lot of tweaking went in this fic. I hope you all enjoy. Subbies after you read this please check out my other fic The Prequel and the fic of the A Flower's Untold Story written by Forsak3n_Love here is the link http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/2949/a-flower-s-untold-story-2am-2pm-bigbang-dbsk-shinee-ss501-superjunior please if you have a chance check it out, subscribe, and leave comments. Enjoy Shindong's Story comments would be much appreciated!]

 

“Good morning everyone you’re tuning in on Stop the Boring Time radio. I’m your host Shindong! Today our special guests are U-Kiss! They will be coming later on in the show, so for now we’ll have commercial free hour playing the Top 10 songs of the week! First up is Love by CNBlue!”

 

Shindong looked up to the transparent screen that separated him and the radio producers. He received the signal that he was off air. Shindong sighed and took off his headphones. He ran his fingers through his dyed brown layered hair and leaned further back into his chair.

 

The co-host DJ position had been finally filled up after four months. Shindong wasn’t always the single host of Stop the Boring Time radio. He had a co-host but he bailed out after the 10th show to focus more on his family. So, for two years it was just Shindong. Until, the CEO of the radio station decided Shindong needed a partner. Shindong was absolutely furious. He was fine on his own and had one of the top five highest viewership ratings in all of Seoul. But what could Shindong do? His job was on the line and if the only way of him keeping it was having a partner by his side then he just had to give in.

 

A sudden knock disrupted Shindong from his thoughts. He looked to see who it was and found his boss and a woman standing at the door. His boss pointed at her.

 

“This is Son Chanhee the new co-host, she’s officially starting tomorrow but for now you’ll be giving her a tour of the place during lunch and showing her how the radio works. By the way Shindong, be nice. You’re on air in three minutes.”

 

Shindong watched Chanhee take a seat beside him as he placed his headphones on. 

 

“Welcome back to Stop the Boring Time radio. Once again I’m your host Shindong. So tomorrow our listeners will be gaining a new voice, meaning a new member of the Stop the Boring Time radio family! We’ll be introducing our new member tomorrow. Back to the regular schedule, next song on our list is Nagging by IU and 2am’s Seulong.”

 

As the song cued Shindong went immediately to the message boards to see incoming messages.

 

“Hi, I’m Chanhee and I just wanted to say that it’s a—“

 

“Stop.” interrupted Shindong as he swung his chair towards Chanhee. “I know who you are, no need for introductions. You and I are going to be partners. That’s it, nothing else. I don’t need to know anything personal about you. It’s a business relationship Chanhee sshii.”

 

Chanhee nodded and watched Shindong return to monitoring the message boards. A few of the staff came in to organize chairs for guests and give Shindong new script papers. Shindong concentrated on his work. He continued on with the hour free music portion of the radio making sure he added some of his own jazz in between. He wanted to show Chanhee that being a radio DJ is tough and maybe even scare her a little bit of all the work she was going to have to put into it. From the corner of her eye Shindong could see Chanhee slowly become even more nervous than she already was. He silently smiled to himself. Welcome to radio world newbie.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, Shindong arrived at the radio station ten minutes early as per usual. He greeted the fellow employees, and made his way up the elevator and into the radio room. As he was entering, Shindong found Chanhee already in her chair preparing for the broadcast.

 

His boss turned to Shindong and smiled. “Early isn’t she? Just like you when you started.”

 

Shindong nodded and gave a small smile. He entered the room, sat down, and began settling in. “You’re here early.” He said as he took out his things from his bag.

 

“Yeah,” Chanhee replied. “I wanted to set up and practice for a little bit before we go on air.”

 

Suddenly the door opened and one of the script writers came in. She handed Shindong and Chanhee each a copy of today’s schedules and scripts. “Here are the scripts for today, follow them diligently. I changed parts for you Shindong so that Chanhee has chances to speak. There will be no guests today, so it’s the normal schedule.” She turned to Chanhee and smiled. “Fighting!”

 

Shindong studied the script over and realized a lot of his parts were cut or taken over by Chanhee. A little bit angry, he quickly got over it. He needed to focus on the radio show and if all of this was to keep his job, then fine.

 

Shindong passed over a highlighter. “Here, highlight all your parts it’ll be easier to follow.”

 

Chanhee took the highlighter and began highlighting obediently.

 

“On air in five minutes!”

 

Shindong put on his headphones and adjusted his mic. He glanced over at Chanhee who was struggling with her headphones.

 

“Here,” He reached over and helped her put on the headphones.

 

Shindong looked up at the countdown. At the sound of the beep, he immediately turned into DJ mode.

 

“Welcome to Stop The Boring Time Radio! I’m your host Shindong.”

 

“And I’m your new co-host Son Chanhee.” chimed in Chanhee

 

A computer generated applause was played.

 

“Why don’t you introduce yourself Chanhee sshii.”

 

“Hello to all the Stop the Boring Time radio listeners! I’m Son Chanhee and I’m very excited to be here. I ask for all of you to please give me guidance.”

 

They continued on with the radio broadcast smoothly. Chanhee did surprisingly well despite Shindong’s doubts. She was able to play off him well. They ended that morning broadcast and headed off to the cafeteria for lunch.

 

Shindong sat with fellow radio broadcasters. Chanhee followed him.

 

“Hey Shindong,” greeted one of his colleagues. “Heard your broadcast. Ah, you must be Chanhee. Welcome.”

 

Chanhee nodded, smiled, and sat across from Shindong.

 

“What should I order today?” asked Shindong out load as he reached for the plastic cafeteria menu.

 

“Oh! Wait.” Chanhee reached for her large bag. She took out two lunch boxes. “I made this for you, as a thank you.”

 

The other guys at the table stared at Shindong with large goofy smiles.

 

Shindong accepted the lunch box. “Thanks Chanhee sshii.”

 

He opened the box and found wonderful food. There was kimbap, beef, ham, eggs, eggrolls, and rice balls all on top of rice. They were assorted neatly and cutely. Chanhee slid over a tupperware of kimchi. “Did you make all this?”

 

Chanhee nodded. “Even the kimchi”

 

Shindong dug into his lunchbox and took a bite.

 

“Is it good?”

 

Shindong slowly nodded as the bursts of delicious flavor hit his taste buds. Chanhee smiled as she ate out of her own lunchbox. Good wasn’t even the correct term. Good was like an insult to Chanhee’s lunchbox. It was amazing. All the food was cooked to perfection. Even the rice was sticky, just the way Shindong liked it.

 

As Shindong was just finishing up his lunchbox, he took a glance at Chanhee. She was smiling quietly to herself as she ate. Her smile was cute…oh no was he really going to look at her that—no he can’t. This is just a professional relationship. But she’s so pretty. She cooks food as good as a chef and makes kimchi better than Korean housewife! Shindong shook his head of his thoughts and wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. He was sweating profusely.

 

“Shindong sshii, are you alright?” asked Chanhee.

 

“Uh yeah I’m okay, it’s just really hot in here.” Shindong said as he cleaned up his finished lunch.

 

“Should we get back soon? Our lunch break is almost over.” said Chanhee as she stood up.

 

“Yeah…”

 

They cleaned up their stuff and headed back to the radio studio.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

A few months later, Stop the Boring Time radio became an even bigger hit than it already was. Ratings were up and Shindong and Chanhee practically became a household name. Shindong accepted Chanhee and slightly developed a small crush on her. Okay, he was lying. He had a huge crush on her. They hung out together outside of the studio. Chanhee even made dinner for Shindong sometimes. They became closer.

 

That day was the annual company meeting. Everyone had to dress sharp for this one. Shindong arrived ten minutes early as usual dressed in a black suit, white tailored shirt, navy blue tie, and black dress shoes. A few moments later Chanhee entered. She took his advice when he told her to dress nicely. She wore a blood red blouse, a black pencil skirt and black pumps. Her hair was in a wavy side ponytail unlike her usual down straight hair. She waved at him and sat next to him.

 

“I’m a little nervous,” confessed Chanhee as she took a sip of her coffee.

 

“Why, what’s to be nervous about? He’s just the company head,” replied Shindong as he stirred his own coffee.

 

“I feel like I look like a mess!” whined Chanhee

 

“Chanhee sshii, I’m fat and I feel fat in this suit but I’m fine,” advised Shindong.

 

Chanhee waved her hand at him. “Stop that, you’re not fat you’re chubby,” She smiled at him and poked his belly fat.

 

“Stop it!” Shindong yelled shooing her hand away.

 

Chanhee laughed. “What? I like it!”

 

The door to the conference room suddenly opened and all the employees came walking in. Shindong and Chanhee turned away from each other and prepared for the meeting. A few minutes later the company head came into the room with his two assistants.

 

“Good morning everyone,” said the company head. “We have a few things on the agenda to discuss.”

 

A big screen projector descended down from the ceiling. One of the company heads assistant pulled out a laptop, hooked it up to the monitor, and hit play.

 

The company head pointed with a clicker at the screen. “The major point of this meeting is the annual MBC Radio Awards. Each year every employer has a chance to win the most prestigious award of DJ/DJ’s of the year. The prize? Four hundred thousand dollars and financing for that radio show for a whole year. Every year KBS radio stations have been winning, most notably our rival Wake Up Seoul! But this year the radio program that will be going head to head with our rival is none other than Stop the Boring Time Radio!”

 

A loud applause erupted in the conference room. Shindong looked over at Chanhee. They both smiled at each other.

 

“So Shindong and Chanhee,” continued the company head. “I count on you guys this year to win. So from now on you two will work together NONSTOP to deliver the best Stop the Boring Time Radio you possibly can so that all our listeners can vote for you guys. Remember people this event will take place in one month and buy your dresses and tuxes!”

 

The meeting drowned on about other company issues and how to profit more money. Shindong couldn’t keep his smile hidden away. He was so ecstatic. Shindong was never nominated for anything, in his life. It was finally time his hard work pay off.

 

Three hours later, the meeting was finally over. Shindong and Chanhee walked out together. He let out a sigh of relief as he loosened his tie.

 

“Finally,” Chanhee said. “I’ve never taken so many notes in my life, not even in school.”

 

Shindong chuckled. “At least we have the day off for the rest of the day.”

 

Chanhee clapped her hands together. “That’s right! What should we do today?”

 

Shindong looked at Chanhee. “We?”

 

Chanhee nodded. “We! Let’s do something refreshing. I’m so tired of work and talking all day. I know it’s my job and whatever but I need a break. How about we be ahead of the game and go look for a dress for me and a tux for you.”

 

Shindong nodded in agreement. “Let’s go.”

 

Thirty minutes later Shindong and Chanhee arrived at the shopping district of Seoul. The place was famous for its many boutique shops.

 

“Let’s go in this one!” exclaimed Chanhee as he pulled Shindong towards the boutique.

 

“But this is just dresses!”

 

“Come on Shindong!” Chanhee put on her brightest smile.

 

Shindong sighed. “Alright. But just for one hour!”

 

They entered the boutique and immediately a saleswoman approached them.

 

“Welcome to Clara Boutique, how may I help you?”

 

Chanhee pointed at the many dresses. “I would like to try on some dresses. It’s a very formal occasion.”

 

The saleswoman nodded. “Right this way Miss. Ah, your boyfriend can have a seat over here.”

 

Shindong and Chanhee looked at each other.

 

“He’s not my—"

 

“Come now, this way please,” directed the saleswoman.

 

The two followed the saleswoman into a section where the woman can try on dresses while the man or friend sits on a couch and waits. Shindong took the initiative to sit down first as he watched Chanhee and the saleswoman enter the dressing room. Shindong sat restless as he waited for Chanhee to appear.

 

After 20 minutes the saleswoman finally came out. “Are you ready to see your girlfriend?”

 

“She’s not—“Shindong sighed giving up. “Yes, I’m ready.”

 

As the saleswoman pulled the curtain away, Chanhee appeared wearing her dress. It was a strapless long light pink dress. It flowed all the way down to the floor. On the top were gems lining the top of her bodice. A champagne ribbon went around her waist and tied into a bow at the back. Shindong couldn’t take his eyes off her.

 

“The color radiates off her skin doesn’t it?” whispered the saleswoman to Shindong.

 

“Do you like it?” asked Chanhee. “It feels a bit revealing.”

 

Shindong shook his head. “You look beautiful Chanhee.”

 

Chanhee grinned. “Thank you.”

 

“Does your boyfriend want to match with you as well?”

 

Chanhee turned to the saleswoman. “You have tuxes too?”

 

She nodded. “Usually we save it for married couples and their wedding shoots but you both look beautiful together that I can make an exception this time.”

 

The saleswoman led Shindong towards the men section and instructed Chanhee to take a seat. Shindong was taken to a dressing room to be changed. A couple of minutes later he stood out from the same place Chanhee did only this time Chanhee was where he was sitting.

 

“How do I look?” He asked Chanhee.

 

“Handsome!” She replied.

 

Shindong was wearing an all black suit. Inside he wore a white man tailored shirt with a champagne bow matching Chanhee’s. The saleswoman instructed them to stand next to each other.

 

“Would you like me to take a picture?” She asked.

 

Chanhee nodded happily. Shindong agreed to her wishes and stood next to Chanhee.

 

“Can the boyfriend please hold the girlfriends hand?” asked the saleswoman as she positioned both their camera phones.

 

Shindong took Chanhee’s hand and held it firmly with his. They both looked at each other searching for an answer in each other’s eyes.

“Okay look here please, one two three!”

 

Flash

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

“This is so going to be my cell phone wallpaper!” Chanhee said happily as she looked at the picture of the two of them in their formal outfits.

 

Shindong walked beside Chanhee. He chuckled. “Are you serious?”

 

Chanhee nodded. “Yup, I like it. Say, are you hungry? I live pretty close by from here. I can cook us some dinner.”

 

Shindong agreed. “Okay.”

 

For the next twenty minutes the two of them made their way to Chanhee’s home. They arrived outside of an apartment building. She lived on the fifteenth floor. Chanhee opened the door to her apartment.

 

“Make yourself at home,” Chanhee said as she shrugged off her coat and kicked off her shoes. “The spare slippers are next to mine.”

 

Shindong slipped on the slippers as he walked further into the apartment. He followed Chanhee into the kitchen.

 

“What would you like me to cook?” asked Chanhee as she peered into the refrigerator.

 

“Anything,” replied Shindong. “As long as it’s good.”

 

“I have some leftover meat from last night.”

 

“That sounds fine.” Shindong stood beside the kitchen counter as he watched Chanhee prepare the food.

 

Shindong smiled to himself. He liked the image of Chanhee he saw. She knew how to cook meat. Shindong loved meat. His past girlfriends could never compare to Chanhee regarding cooking skills.

 

“You can take a seat if you want,” said Chanhee interrupting his thoughts.

 

Shindong shook his head. “I like to watch you cook.”

 

Chanhee smiled. “Do you want to help?”

 

Shindong’s face brightened up at her suggestion. “Sure, what can I do?”

 

“Come here and help me cut the vegetables,” instructed Chanhee. She walked over to the sink and reached under it. “Let me put on the apron for you.”

 

Shindong walked over and had his back to her. She draped the apron and tied the back for him. After, Chanhee ran over to the stove to her boiling pot.

 

“I’m making sperib soup.” She announced.

 

Shindong took a knife and began cutting up the vegetables. “Sounds good.”

 

For ten minutes they silently did their own thing, Chanhee was now on to making the sauce. Shindong had just finished cutting up all the vegetables.  He put it all in a bowl for her to easily drop into the soup. He walked over to her and peered over her shoulder. She had just added in the sauce and the soup was now taking color.

 

“Thank you,” said Chanhee as she took the bowl of vegetables from Shindong. “You cut them good.”

 

“Well someone has to feed this fat belly,” joked Shindong.

 

Chanhee laughed. “You can go have a seat at the kitchen table.”

 

Shindong obeyed and took a seat at the table. He patiently watched Chanhee boil the soup and set the table. He offered to help once more but she had said cutting up vegetables was more than enough. Soon enough the plates on the table were being piled up with food. The last dish, the sperib soup, was the last to be presented on the table.

 

“Eat up!”

 

Shindong was in awe at the many side dishes Chanhee had stored in her refrigerator. Usually all Shindong had was just kimchi. He thanked Chanhee for the food and quickly dug in.

 

“Your cooking never fails to amaze me,” said Shindong in delight with his mouth full.

 

“Shindong you just love to eat food,” replied Chanhee modestly.

 

“True but in your case the food you make is just so good. I love it when you make me lunch and come to my home just to give me dinner. Every night I’m excited for what lunch you bring me to work and everyday it’s something different and delicious. So Chanhee your food isn’t just any food for me.”

 

“That’s so sweet,” cooed Chanhee. “I didn’t think you like my cooking so much.”

 

Shindong nodded. “I like it a lot.”

 

After eating all the food the two of them cleared the table, washed the dishes together, and headed for the couch. Chanhee offered Shindong to watch a movie with her. She went to the T.V., the DVD player and placed the C.D. in. The movie was American and called No Reservations. This movie was a love story in a kitchen. Shindong chuckled to himself as he thought her entire life practically revolved around cooking except for the radio.

 

As Chanhee settled in on the couch beside him Shindong asked, “What made you do radio? You could have been a chef.”

 

Chanhee turned to Shindong. “I like to DJ at a radio better. I feel more social that way. I just like to cook. I love the radio. So, I’d rather do something I absolutely love then do something I just like.”

 

They continued to watch the movie together. It was a light hearted romantic movie and Shindong enjoyed it. After an hour the movie was finally done. It was getting late. Shindong and Chanhee got up from the couch. He announced he would start getting home. As he slipped off Chanhee’s slippers and put on his own shoes, he felt his arm being grabbed to stop him. Shindong looked up to find Chanhee staring at him.    

 

“What is it?” asked Shindong. “Is there something on my face?”

 

Quickly she leaned into his face and kissed him on the lips. Wide eyed and shocked Shindong stared at her face as she backed away. Chanhee smiled.

 

“Next time you make a move on me first,” Chanhee led the still stunned Shindong to the door. “Goodnight Shindong, get home safe.”

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

One Year Later

 

Shindong entered the radio broadcast building cafeteria holding a lunchbox in his hand. He looked around the cafeteria for Chanhee. He asked her to meet her at the cafeteria at this time. Then, he spotted her sitting alone by the window waiting. Shindong smiled to himself and quickly made his way over to Chanhee. His girlfriend. Surprising huh? That Chanhee was now Shindong’s girlfriend. That one fateful night and one kiss was what brought the two of them together. In that one year they won the DJ/DJ’s of the year award and Stop the Boring Time Radio became a huge hit. Four months later they announced through their radio that they were now dating. They were showered with even more listeners who were in relationships and the company loved the two of them. Today, marked the first year Shindong and Chanhee met. Today, was going to be an even more special day.

 

“Hey,” said Shindong as he took a seat. “Did you wait long?”

 

Chanhee shook her head with a smile. “It’s okay.” She reached for her bag and just as usual she took out two lunchboxes, one for Shindong and one for her. “Here you go.”

 

Shindong rejected the lunchbox and slid it back to Chanhee. “Not today,” He presented his own lunchbox. “I made this for you.”

 

Touched, Chanhee immediately opened it. The lunchbox was the exact mimic of when they first ate lunch together. “This is sweet, thank you!” She began to dig in. As she ate more spoonfuls she looked up at Shindong with a questioning look. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

 

“No, I’ll just watch you.”

 

Chanhee shrugged and continued to eat her food. As she finished her last few bites, on the bottom of the lunchbox she saw a piece of paper stick out from under her rice. She stared at it for a bit with her head cocked to one side.

 

“Shindong what is this?” asked Chanhee.

 

“Just keep eating,” replied Shindong.

 

Chanhee quickly finished the remaining rice. It was a small envelope taped to the bottom of the lunchbox. It read ‘Open Me!’ Excited, Chanhee opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of hard paper. She read it out loud.

 

“Would you like to spend breakfast, lunch, and dinner with me for the rest of our lives?”

 

Then a small arrow was at the bottom right corner telling Chanhee to turn the card over.

 

As she read the card Shindong said out loud, “Will you marry me?”

 

Chanhee looked up to find Shindong kneeling beside the table at Chanhee with a ring box opened in his hand. With a shock expression plastered on her face she stood up from her seat and stood in front of Shindong with the card in her hand.  

 

On bended knee Shindong began his speech, “This year has been the best year of my life and you’re the most important reason why it’s been the best year. I know that I can’t possibly think to spend any time apart from you. I love you Chanhee. Will you marry me?”

 

“Yes!” Chanhee yelled. “Of course I’ll marry you!”

 

Shindong got up and slipped in the ring on Chanhee’s finger. They kissed each other and immediately embraced. He nestled his face into her neck. "This time I made the first move."

 

The cafeteria went into an uproar of cheers and applause.

 

“Stop the Boring Time Radio DJ’s are getting married!”