Yesung's Story

Super Junior: Love Series

Yesung admitted it.  When he was stress, he was stress. This was why he was consuming an extra large 800 calories per piece, death. Chocopies. What stress? Plenty. His boss at the Wolf Pub wants him to make a new set list to play. On top of it all, he wants Yesung to find a guitarist. Ha! How was he going to ever collaborate with a guitarist? The last time he tried, the guitarist left in anger because Yesung didn’t like him. So Yesung had to find a guitarist and find music that had guitar accompaniments while Yesung sang and played the piano at the bar. His “usual” was not going to cut the bosses requirements. Yesung sighed deeply. Stress . Walking home . He tucked the bag of Chocopies under his arm.

 

“Crap” Yesung muttered, “I forgot to buy turtle food for Ddangkoma.”

 

With the heel of his foot, Yesung turned sharply towards the mart. Suddenly a loud thump erupted. Yesung looked around him, but found nobody. Then, there was a loud smack.

 

“Stop it, help!” A women’s shrill voice echoed through the streets. Yesung turned around and in the alleyways was a woman defending herself against a man.

 

Yesung approached the alleyway, but froze. Yesung couldn’t help this woman. He didn’t know her. Plus the guy looked way to strong. No way could Yesung beat him up with his delicate piano playing hands. “Help, anyone help!”

 

But who could resist her cries for help? Yesung dropped his precious Chocopies and grabbed hold of anything hard, the lid of the garbage bin.

 

Since they were not facing him, Yesung crept towards the man quietly. Then…

 

BANG!

 

Yesung shocked by the loud noise, dropped the lid. Yesung starred at the now unconscious man. “Sorry.” He whispered. He turned to the woman who was now clutching her arm.

 

Concerned, Yesung walked up to her. “Are you alright?”

 

She looked up at him, tears b her eyes. She shook her head no. Her eyes began to slowly close.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked for the second time.

 

Her body immediately went limp. Yesung caught her in his arms. He tried waking her up.

 

When that was of no use, Yesung decided to just carry her. He looked around to see if she had any belongings. Noticing a guitar case and bag, he slung it onto his shoulders and began to walk. For the first time that night he noticed the appearances of the girl. She had short choppy light brown hair with bangs that covered her right eye almost completely. Her makeup was heavy but her lipstick was light pink. She was a little chubby and not too skinny. But in Yesung’s arms she was light. On top of all that she played the guitar. How ironic. But Yesung found her interesting. This was very unusual.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Yesung’s eyes began to droop, as he watched the girl sleep. After bringing he to his home he couldn’t just go to sleep. It was weird. Instead, Yesung decided to place her on his bed and just wait until she woke up. Bad idea. She was obviously not waking up anytime soon. He looked up to the clock and noticed it was 4’ o clock A.M. Yesung decided to get up and make some coffee.

 

As he waited for the coffee to be made, Yesung made his way to the keyboard in the living room. He sat down and pondered through his music.

 

“Falling Slowly,” muttered Yesung as he pulled out the sheet. “I haven’t played this one in a while.” Yesung began to play and sing along.

 

Suddenly, he heard a guitar begin to play. Yesung turned his neck around finding the girl awake and playing along. “Words fall through me and always fool me and I can’t react.

 

They continued to sing together and play. “Falling slowly, sing your melody, I’ll play along.

 

They ended together with the last note. Yesung fully turned around to stare at her. She looked at him with the same expression.

 

“What’s your name?” She asked.

 

“Kim Jongwoon,” replied Yesung. “Or just Yesung.”

 

“Kang Hana,” She said as she got up from her seat. “Or just Hana.” She took her guitar and sat beside Yesung on the large piano bench with her guitar propped on her thigh. “Thank you, but a lot of things are fuzzy, how’d I get here?”

 

“I carried you.” simply replied Yesung. “How’d you wake up?”

 

Hana shrugged. “I heard piano playing and when I realized it was ‘Falling Slowly’ I had to play along.”

 

Yesung nodded. “So music makes you get up, I tried everything before but it was like you were dead.”

 

At that Hana laughed. “I’m sorry.”

 

Yesung shook his head. “It’s not something I’d do every day. I’m not the type. So consider yourself special.”

 

Hana put her hand at her heart. “Deeply honored.” She mocked.

 

Silence.

 

“Okay, not funny.” Hana looked down at her guitar. “Hey question.”

 

“Okay…”

 

“How would you react if I asked you if I could stay here?”

 

“Terrified.”

 

“Well your honest.”

 

“Brutally.”

 

“No seriously I just got back from America, my luggage got lost, I just got almost robbed, and I have nowhere to stay.”

 

“What a pity.”

 

“You’re cruel.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Yesung please?”

 

“Oppa.”

 

“How old are you?”

 

“25.”

 

“Fine Oppa.”

 

“How old are you?”

 

“19.”

 

“What the hell! You’re just a kid, this would be considered if I let you stay.”

 

“You’re weird…I’m turning 20 next week so it’ll be—“

 

“What’d you do run away?”

 

“You could say that…”

 

“Geez! You’re a runaway too!


  “Forget that, so can I stay?”

 

“No.”

 

“Please.”

 

“No.”

 

“Please?!”

 

“No.”

 

“Please?!”

 

“Fine, on one condition.”

 

“Bring it.”

 

“You work with me at the Wolf Pub as the new guitarist.”

 

Hana shrugged. “Cake.”

 

“Ah and during the day clean this place and run errands while I work my day job.”

 

“Not cake.”

 

“What, I’m providing you with a place to stay, food, and clothes once we go shopping.” Yesung held out his hand. “Deal?”

 

“Deal.” Hana sealed the deal with a handshake.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

A few days later Yesung and Hana were heading to the Wolf Pub for work.

 

“So, what is this Wolf Pub?” asked Hana as her and Yesung walked down the streets towards the pub.

 

“It’s a bar and restaurant,” replied Yesung. “With a lot of drunken men.”

 

“You’re humor doesn’t amuse me,” pouted Hana. “What do we do exactly?”

 

“We play and sing from 8 to 12, they pay $20 an hour but we have to split it so do the math.”

 

Hana murmured to herself as she calculated the math in her head. “That’s $10 an hour, so $40 a day, $200 a week, and $800 a month, that’s not bad!”

 

Yesung laughed. “After paying the bills and buying living necessities you’ll realize why I have two jobs.”

 

Without realizing it the two had arrived at the Wolf Pub. Yesung held the door open for Hana. Before she entered, he stopped her.

 

“You’re 22 years old and from Pusan. The boss hates foreigners especially Korean American who’s never stepped in the mother until now.”

Hana nodded. “Got it.”

 

“Oh and if anyone offers you a drink, accept it and give it straight to me.” warned Yesung.

 

“What if you get drunk?”

 

“Then carry me home.” Yesung said, as he walked into the pub.

 

Hana rolled her eyes. She followed Yesung in.

 

Yesung approached a tall thin man and held out a piece of paper for him to see. “Hyung, here’s the new set list you wanted and this,” He pointed to Hana. “Is Kang Hana the guitarist.”

 

The thin man grinned and patted Yesung’s shoulder. “When I want something done you get right to it, that’s what I like about you Yesung. Always on top of the game,” He approached Hana and eyed her down. “She’s pretty, I’m Sang Jaewook.” He said offering his hand. “And how old are you?”

 

“22.” replied Hana as she took his hand.

 

“Where you from?”

 

“Pusan.”

 

“Call me Oppa, okay?” Jaewook turned to Yesung.  “Start setting up, were going to open in 10 minutes.”

 

Yesung nodded. He motioned for Hana to follow him. “This is where we play.” Yesung headed towards the back and pulled out a black stool. “You will play guitar here.” He patted the stool. “Let’s rehearse.” Yesung sat down on the bench and began to play. Hana followed along.

 

“Take this sinking boat and point it home, we’ve still got time.”

 

They moved on to their next song.

 

“All I wanna do is find a way back into love. I can’t make it through without a way back into love.”

 

Suddenly clapping started. They both looked up and found mingling regulars clapping and taking their seats.

 

“Hey Yesung,” one of them shouted out. “Nice catch!”

 

Yesung rolled his eyes. “She’s the guitarist.” He jumped down from the stage and headed towards the bar.

 

Hana set her guitar down and followed Yesung.

 

“Beer.” said Yesung as he hopped on the stool. The bartender, Sewon turned to Hana. “And you?”

 

“Sprite.” Yesung said for her.

 

Hana shrugged. “Sprite.”

 

A few minutes or so later, the bartender arrived with their drinks. Yesung watched Hana gulp down her sprite in one take as he took small sips. “Nervous?”

 

Hana shook her head. “No.”

 

“Liar. This is your first gig right?” Yesung snickered.

 

“Where is the man that was so shy and hesitant to look me in the eyes?”

 

Yesung shrugged. “I guess I’m okay with you.”

 

Hana smiled. “That was nice.”

 

“Ladies and gentlemen I’d like to introduce our musical talent tonight.”

 

Yesung looked at Hana and nodded his head towards the stage. “That’s our cue.”

 

“Please welcome Yesung and our new guitarist Kang Hana.”

 

Applause erupted as Yesung and Hana took the stage. Before Yesung took his spot, he squeezed Hana’s shoulders.  He whispered in her ear. “You’ll do fine.”

 

Hana sat on the stool and propped her guitar. She tapped her guitar to count the beat. “1,2,3.”

 

The soft melody of Falling Slowly began.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“You did fine! Why are fuming over it?” Yesung entered his, well now there, apartment and opened the lights.  Trailing behind him was Hana, slumped and loosely holding onto her guitar case.

 

“I did horrible, I was flat and my g string broke!”

 

Yesung erupted in a fit of giggles. “Ha ha g string.”

 

Hana narrowed her eyes. “Shut up you .”

 

“Look it’s been two months, the audience loves you, so why stress?” Yesung plopped down on the couch.

 

Hana plopped down the couch next to him. She laid her head on Yesung’s shoulders. “I just want the performance to be perfect.”

 

Yesung laughed. “What’s with you and perfection?”

 

“Don’t you want perfection? That way the audience can hear every note in bliss. If you’re lat ro sharp, and the rhythm is off and the audience won’t enjoy it as much.”

 

“Alright, I’ll give you that.” Yesung laid his head on top of Hana’s.

 

“Did you pay the rent?” Hana said with her eyes closed.

 

Yesung nodded. “Did you stock the fridge?”

 

Hana nodded. “Did you feed Ddangkoma?”

 

Yesung nodded. “Are you tired?”

 

“Mhmmm.” replied Hana.

 

Yesung gently shrugged off Hana’s head from his shoulder. She immediately laid down on the couch aka her bed. She stretched her legs on Yesung’s lap, preventing him from standing up.

 

“Yah.” He whispered a couple of times. “Yah!” Hana didn’t stir. Yesung rolled his eyes and laid back into the couch.

 

Often Yesung and Hana would stay up late composing or figuring out the next set list for the Wolf Pub. Whenever they stayed up late, Hana was always the first to knock out. She would either trap Yesung with her legs, or rest her head on his lap. She was so hard to wake up and after the millionth time of trying Yesung would just give up and not bother. Lately his bed hasn’t been slept on. He reached under the side of the couch and pulled out a blanket. He laid it on Hana.

 

“Good night.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“You’re drunk.” yelled out Yesung.

 

“No I’m not!” Hana skipped ahead of him. “Just happy!” She looked back at him. “What’s wrong Yesungie, not happy?”

 

Yesung shook his head. “Just following you.”

 

“Okay!”

 

Yesung shook his head as he continued to watch Hana skip down the block. She was definitely drunk. He had caught her drinking at the pub with two other guys who were obviously hitting on her. Yesung decided not to bail her out. She was 20 years old. A lesson needed to be learned.

 

“Yesung Oppa look how big the moon is tonight!” yelled Hana as she pointed at the sky.

 

Yesung looked up and honestly the moon was so small he had to strain his eyes to see it. “Yeah, I see it Hana.”

 

Hana whirled around stopping Yesung in his tracks. She brought her hands up and pinched Yesung’s cheeks. “Angry Oppa.” She moved her fingers to the corners of his mouth and tugged down. “Sad Oppa.” And tugged up. “Happy Oppa.”

 

Yesung pushed her hands away. “Stop that.”

 

Hana laughed heartily.

 

“Didn’t I tell you not to drink anything unless it was soda or water?”

 

Hana ignored him and grabbed his hand and started walking.

 

“I don’t want you talking to those two guys again.” said Yesung sternly.

 

Hana nodded her head clumsily. “I promise.”

 

Yesung chuckled. “You look so funny!”

 

Hana stuck out her tongue. “Merong.”

 

This caused Yesung to laugh even more. “You’re such a baby!”

 

They reached their apartment still holding hands. It took a little effort to get Hana up the stairs. But, they somehow made it. Once they reached inside Hana immediately ran to the bathroom. Yesung followed after her, and held her hair as she threw up. After ten minutes of throwing up, Yesung helped her to brush her teeth and gargle with mouthwash. HE tied her hair in a ponytail the best he could. Yesung then helped her up and guided her to his bedroom. He gently placed her on the bed and tucked her in.

 

“Wait.” Hana opened her eyes halfway. “Lie down with me.” She reached for his arm and pulled him down. She nestled her head right under his shoulder.

 

“Hana…” Yesung whispered. “What are you doing?”

 

“Sleeping.” Hana murmured. She hugged Yesung tight.

 

“Alright,” Yesung said letting it slide. He figured she was too drunk to properly think. Tomorrow morning he’ll just have to wake up earlier. “Just don’t throw up on me.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning Yesung woke up to the sound of glass shattering. He threw the covers over and rushed to the kitchen. What he found was not pleasant. Hana was crouched down on the floor surrounded by broken glass. She was holding onto her left hand as blood was seeping through her palm. Fresh tears were spilling down her face.

 

Once it hit him that Hana was hurt he immediately rushed over looking for a towel. “Don’t move.” He found a clean towel and wrapped it around her wound. “Press down.”

 

Hana simply nodded as he lifted her up from the kitchen floor. He set her down on the kitchen counter before picking up a broom and dust pan to sweep up the glass. “What were you thinking?!”

 

“I’m sorry, I needed a glass to drink.” whispered Hana.

 

Yesung stayed silent as he continued to sweep the floor once he finished  he headed towards the bathroom to retrieve medication. Hence he had done so, Yesung returned. He reached for Hana’s hand and gently unwrapped the towel. The wound wasn’t too deep, so it would just be fine with his minuscule skills. Yesung began to apply the medication. He could feel Hana flinch in pain. Once he was done he wrapped her palm with a fresh bandage.

 

“I don’t think you’ll be able to play the guitar for a while.” He said with a cold voice. Hearing nothing but silence Yesung looked up into Hana’s eyes. Tears were forming in the brims of her eyes. He realized he must have been harsh. “You scared me did you know that? Tell me what happened exactly.”

 

“I…was going to get water, I wasn’t thinking and then all of a sudden the glass was all over the floor, I didn’t want to wake you up so I tried to clean up as quickly as possible but I just ended up cutting myself.”

 

“Babo…” Yesung muttered. “What were you thinking about that’s got you all distracted?”

 

Hana looked away. “About last night.”

 

“Last night what?”

 

“I mean I slept in your bed…with you.” Hana said.

 

“You were drunk, I understand.” Yesung turned to the sink to wash off the remaining medication off his hands.

 

“But…”

 

“It’s fine.” Yesung said cutting her off. “We have to tell boss that you won’t be playing for a while.” He threw the dish towel on the counter. “I have to head off to work.” With that he left Hana.

 

Alone.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

A few weeks later Hana’s hand healed leaving behind a scar that constantly reminded her of that day.  After that day Hana and Yesung had drifted apart. It was as if they were just strangers  that happened to live together. They still did their gig every night but it lacked feeling.

 

Now, after a solid performance Hana made her way towards the bar and asked for a soda. She leaned back into the bar’s counter as she took in the busy activity of the Wolf Pub.  She spotted Yesung talking to some regulars. They were laughing and chatting to some girls. Hana narrowed her eyes. Was he flirting? She rolled her eyes. Good for him. Suddenly she felt a tap on her shoulder. Hana looked up to find her boss, Jaewook.

 

“Oppa.”

 

Jaewook smiled down at her. “Before you leave, I want you to check out some pieces I found for your performances.”

 

Hana nodded. “Sure.”

 

Jaewook nodded once more and left. Hana turned her eyes back to the dance floor. Her eyes turned wide as she watched Yesung dance flirtatiously with the girl he was chatting up before. That was it.

 

Hana turned back to the bartender.

 

“Another soda Hana?”

 

She smiled. “Make it tequila.”

 

The bartender returned her smile. “Coming up.” He swiftly poured the dangerous mixture and slid it towards her.

 

She picked it up, cheered the bartender, and drank the glass in one shot. “Here goes nothing.” She scanned the room in search for any hot guy. She spotted a loner drinking by himself. He looked to be a couple of years older, and a mix of Asian and white.  She watched his hazel eyes stare into space. Hana smiled to herself. Let’s go and change that look, shall we? She grabbed a refill and approached the guy. Making herself seem out there, Hana sat in front of him causing him to gape at her in shock. She downed her drink and set it down on the table.

 

“Hi I’m Hana.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Yesung stacked the final chair up against the wall. He flipped the open sign to close. The door of the employee backroom opened with a bang. Yesung looked up expecting to find Hana. Instead it was Sewon the bartender ready to leave.

 

“Locking up?” asked Sewon.

 

Yesung nodded. “Have you seen Hana?”

 

“Mmmmm… the last time I saw her she was pretty drunk.” Sewon chuckled. “And making out with some guy, but I remember him leaving.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Sewon headed for the door. “See you tomorrow.”

 

Yesung decided to look around the entire pub. If she was drunk, she might just be passed out somewhere. He entered the backrooms and headed towards Jaewook’s office.  As he turned the corner Yesung heard a noise from a distance. AS he came closer the noise became clearer.  He followed the noise until he stopped at the end of the hallway, Jaewook’s office.

 

“Yesung?”

 

Yesung turned around. Scrunched up in the corner was Hana. Her legs were pulled up to her chest. Her  eyes were bloodshot as she looked up at Yesung.

 

Yesung rushed to Hana’s side. He grabbed her shoulders. “What’s wrong?”

 

Hana began to sob. “Why do you look like this?” She put her head in between her logs and continued to cry. “Hana, tell me what happened!”

 

That’s when he saw it. Clear fingerprint bruises were forming around her neck. Angry red welts were on her wrists. Yesung pushed her back against the wall. Hana didn’t dare look at him. Her shirt was torn revealing her bra.

 

Yesung reached for her crying face. He cupped her face in his hands and brushed away bits of her tangled hair with his thumbs. “Hana, did he touch you?”

 

She silently nodded her head in response.

 

Yesung took off his coat and wrapped it around her shoulders. “Stay here.”

 

Keeping his calm, Yesung coolly opened the door to Jaewook’s office. “Hyung?”

 

“Oh.” Jaewook was leaning back in his chair smoking a joint. It was so obvious he was so high.

 

This angered Yesung the most. As he came closer to Jaewook, his pathetic face smiled at him.

 

“Yesung where’s Hana?”

 

And that’s when Yesung punched him.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

They were walking home after the explosive fight Yesung and Jaewook had. Yesung had went directly for his nose and jaw. He didn’t hold himself back. After three more punches, Jaewook had uppercut him in the gut and yelled at him in vulgar Korean curses. Yesung, who had enough yelled they officially quit and left the Wolf Pub with Hana.

 

Yesung wrapped his arm around Hana’s shoulder as they walking in silence.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?” asked Yesung as they stopped.

 

“For being so stupid.” Hana replied.

 

Yesung smirked. “Good that you know you’re stupid.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

As those words escaped Hana’s lips, Yesung’s lips came crashing down on hers. They parted as Yesung rested his forehead on hers. He reached to Hana’s cheek. “I will always protect you. Even if you don’t need protecting. You will never leave out of my sight ever again. If you do, I’ll kill you. But most of all I will love you. Even if you tell me you hate me. I will love you.” He kissed the tip of her nose, grabbed her hand and continued on walking.

 

“I love you…too.” Hana whispered.

 

Yesung smiled down at her. “I know, you babo!”