Leeteuk's Story

Super Junior: Love Series

                She was different. He realized this when she walked in asking for a job that cold day. Was it the way she moved, was it because in the week that he knew her all she uttered out of her lips was a simple hello, or was it her smooth, pale, milky looking skin? She looked different from all the other Seoul girls. Leeteuk didn’t know. He had never encountered someone like her. Leeteuk was the smiley kind of guy with the cute little dimple on the left side of his cheek. His happy personality and weird laugh labeled Leeteuk, what some may say, the angel. But her? Completely kills Leeteuk’s mood. Maybe it was her attraction, maybe she was just a social outcast, or maybe…

 

                “Leeteuk!” Leeteuk looked up, finding the manager stepped high on a pedestal pointing his bony finger at him.  “Stop daydreaming and help Mina with the packages in the back.” Leeteuk nodded and headed to the back room. “Ah, really what do I pay this kid for?!”

 

                Leeteuk passed the over stocked shelves and found Mina already stocking up. He ripped open a box and started stocking. He smiled at Mina, but as usual she didn’t respond.

 

He smiled once again and went back to stocking.  “You don’t like me do you?”

 

Mina stopped, holding the canned goods in her hands. She shook her head and resumed stocking.

 

“Then what is it?” Leeteuk tucked a strand of his hair behind his ear and this time looked at Mina. “Is it something I do?”

 

Mina shook her head once more. But, this time her words came out as a tiny whisper, “I don’t want to get attached.”

 

Leeteuk looked up at her with wandering eyes. What did she mean?

 

Suddenly, the manager poked his head in the stock room. “You two, there are customers come to the front!”

 

Leeteuk adjusted his apron and waited for Mina. As he passed her he gave her a big smile, showing off his cute dimple. “I won’t let you then.” With that Leeteuk left heading for the counter.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

It was late. Since the mart was a convenience store it was open for 24/7. Leeteuk watched the two nightshift workers lazily walk in with grim expressions plastered on their faces. Leeteuk chuckled. He was glad he didn’t have the night shift. He stuck his hand under the counter and reached for his jacket. He put it on. Leeteuk looked up and saw Mina, already with a jacket on, adjusting her hat. She was dressed in full on winter clothes. It was only fall.

 

                “It’s not that cold outside, you know.” Leeteuk called out.

 

                Mina shrugged.

 

                “Well,” Leeteuk stepped out, unfolded his scarf, and wrapped it around Mina’s neck. “I don’t get cold to easily.” Leeteuk smiled. He looked at the clock. “It’s lat, I’ll take you home.”

 

                Mina nodded as her sign of approval.

 

                As they walked they kept silent.  Leeteuk watched Mina as she stared straight ahead in front of her. They never made eye contact. What was with this girl? Leeteuk had never done anything bad towards her or at least he thinks he didn’t. Mina stopped as they reached an iron gate. She stood in front of it. Leeteuk figured this was where she lived.

 

                “Thank you,” said Mina “Goodnight.” Mina turned to walk inside.

 

                “Wait!” Leeteuk called out. Mina turned around. “Don’t be afraid to be my friend.”

 

                Mina speechless, opened the iron gate. She turned her head to the ground and quickly walked inside the apartment building.  She entered her apartment and went to the nearest window. She pushed aside the curtains. There standing was Leeteuk. Mina watched as Leeteuk cracked a smile and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear. It was a habit she noticed. Leeteuk sighed and walked away.

 

                Suddenly, the apartment door flung open. Mina immediately turned her head around and found her roommate Soeun taking off her shoes. Soeun placed her bag on the chairs and walked into the living room. She leaned on the wall.

 

                “Who was that?” Soeun asked.

 

                Mina shrugged. “He works at the store.”

 

                Soeun nodded. “By the way your doctor and your mom called earlier.”

 

                “Okay, thanks.”

 

                Mina waited until Soeun went into her room. She walked over to the phone and the answering machine.

 

                “Good afternoon Miss Jung, I’m calling to remind you that you have an appointment at the doctor’s office at the hospital tomorrow morning at 10. Doctor Kim will be waiting for you.”

 

                Beep.

 

                “Hi honey! It’s mom. I forgot to tell you I scheduled an appointment for you. Also, I stopped by the apartment today and left you some soup. I told Soeun to tell you. Did she tell you? I doubt it. Anyways call me soon! Keep healthy!”

 

                Beep.

 

                Mina sighed, she went to her room and immediately plopped down on her bed. She fell right to sleep.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                “Yes, enjoy your noodles.” Leeteuk handed the elderly lady her shopping bags. “Have a nice day!”

 

                Mina untied her apron and hung it on the employee hook. She walked up to the manager. “Manager, I need to take the rest of the day off today, I have a doctor’s appointment at 10.”

 

                The manager clicked his tongue sympathetically. “Are you going to go there alone?”

 

                Mina nodded. “Yes sir.”

 

                The manager shook his head. “Leeteuk go with Mina to the doctor’s office, there’s not many customers today I can handle things by myself.”

 

                Leeteuk nodded. He grabbed his jacket and school bag. He motioned for Mina to come along. Together, they walked out of the mart.  Leeteuk shoved his hands into his jacket. The sun was unusually bright for a fall day. They passed by a few buildings and old ladies content with their bags full of food. Again, neither of them talked. Leeteuk wondered what Mina was thinking.

 

                They finally reached the hospital.

 

                Mina turned to look at Leeteuk. “You don’t need to come inside.”

 

                Leeteuk was surprised she didn’t whisper this time. “It’s okay manager hyung told me to stay with you.”

 

                Mina nodded and went inside. Leeteuk followed right after her.

 

                The nurse at the desk smiled up at Mina. “Hello Mina dear, how have you been?” She took out a clipboard and held it out to Mina. “Please fill this out over there.” The nurse eyed Leeteuk and smiled. “Is this your boyfriend Mina?”

 

                Mina quickly shook her head. “No.”

 

                The nurse nodded. “Okay, I’ll call you when Doctor Kim is ready.”

 

                Mina took a seat and started filling out the forms. Leeteuk sat beside her. He looked down the corridor of the hospital. Patients with IV bags were walking about, stretching out their legs. While nurses attended to them. He watched as two kids in wheelchairs raced down the hallway. Leeteuk chuckled as the nurses scolded at them. He looked back to Mina who was still filling out the form.

 

                “Do you go here often?” He wondered this since the nurse knew Mina.

 

                Mina shrugged her shoulders. “Just check ups.” She set the clip board down on her lap.

 

                The nurse appeared and held her hand out for the clipboard. “The doctor will see you now Mina.”

 

                Mina stood up. Leeteuk stood up as well. Mina turned to face Leeteuk. “It’s okay I’ll go alone.” She gave Leeteuk a small smile.

 

                Leeteuk understood and sat back down. He watched Mina walk with the nurse. He smiled. Finally, she smiled at him.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                Mina sat on a chair in Doctor Kim’s office. She let her legs dangle about as she waited for Doctor Kim.  He came in holding the results of the various tests they performed on her. He sat down in his chair and looked at me. He made a click with his tongue and looked down at the clip board again.

 

                “You look fine on the outside Mina,” Doctor Kim took off his glasses and sighed “But the tests didn’t come out so great, have you been taking your medication?”

 

                Mina nodded. “Every day, twice.”

 

                “Alright, if you’re feeling any pain or any problems just come by.” Doctor Kim stood up and opened his office door for Mina. He placed his hand on his shoulder to stop her. “Are you sure you don’t want to be hospitalized?”

 

                Mina shook her head. She knew if she was hospitalized all her freedom she had now would be taken away. Mina didn’t want that. “I’ll be okay as long as I take my medicine right?”

 

                Doctor Kim nodded. “Really Mina if you feel anything come to my office right away.”

 

                Mina walked out of the doctor’s office. She bit her lip, worried. If the tests weren’t coming out great what did that mean for her? She found Leeteuk reading a magazine. Mina grinned. He was still here. Leeteuk surprised Mina in many ways. She walked up to him. Once he saw her, he immediately stood up.

 

                “Are you done?” asked Leeteuk.

 

                “Yes.” replied Mina. She watched Leeteuk let out a sigh of relief. She giggled at this.

 

                Leeteuk smiled at her. “You laughed.”

 

                Mina smiled and started walking out of the hospital. Leeteuk followed her.

 

                “We have the rest of the day off, what do you want to do?” asked Leeteuk.

 

                Mina shrugged. “I’m kind of hungry.”

 

                Leeteuk smiled. “Come on let’s go eat then.”

 

                They arrived at a roadside stall. Leeteuk guided Mina to sit down on a stool. Mina looked around. She inhaled the fresh smell of dukbokki being made. Mina had never been at a roadside stall. Leeteuk noticed her eager expressions as she watched the dukbokki being made, intently.

 

                “You’ve never had dukbokki at a roadside stall?” asked Leeteuk.

 

                Mina shook her head. “No, my mom says it’s not sanitary.”

 

                Leeteuk laughed. “Not sanitary, this is the best dukbokki in the world.”

 

                Mina giggled. The man behind the stall held out two dukbokki’s for Mina to take. Mina took them and held one out to Leeteuk.  Leeteuk paid the vendor. Mina took a bite of her dukbokki.

 

                “Mmmmm this is good!” explained Mina.  She took another bite and smiled happily.

 

                Leeteuk couldn’t help but smile. It seemed like Mina opened up to him. He watched her eat happily. Leeteuk realized she was just too cute. Her bangs covered her eyes as she leaning in to eat more from her bowl. Leeteuk chuckled. He reached over and pulled away her bangs for her.

 

                Mina shocked blushed. Leeteuk was smiling at her as he fixed her bangs. She felt her pulse quicken its beat. What was this? Mina had never felt her pulse beat so fast before. She felt her face heat up. She looked down into her bowl of dukbokki.  They finished their dukbokki and left the stall. They began walking back to the mart.

 

                “You sure you don’t want to go anywhere else today?”

 

                “No we need to go back anyways you never know what manager is up to.” replied Mina.

 

                Leeteuk chuckled. “Your right, let’s go back.”

 

                They arrived outside of the mart. As usual it was quiet. The few couch potato’s and grannies were roaming around the shelves picking out their food. The manger looked up, his brightened into a smile.

 

              “You’re back!” He stood up and stretched. “Thank god I thought I would be running the shop the whole entire day.” He grabbed a few bags of chips and magazines. “I’ll be in the employee room if you need me.”

 

                Leeteuk and Mina looked at each other. They broke out in laughter.

 

                “Excuse me, how much is this seaweed soup?”

 

                “I’ll be right there!” replied Leeteuk. He gave one last smile to Mina and dashed for the counter.

 

                Mina smiled. Her heart started to beat faster. She liked this feeling.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                Leeteuk banged his head on the counter table as he tried once again to write his midterm essay for college. Nothing came to his mind. He had no idea how to write his term paper and it was due tomorrow! Leeteuk regretted procrastinating instead of attempting the essay beforehand.

 

                Mina came up behind him and peered over his shoulder. “What are you doing?”

 

                Leeteuk spun around.  “My stupid midterm paper.” replied Leeteuk. He groaned once again.

 

                “Here let me try.” said Mina. She took Leeteuk’s pen out of his hands and began writing on the paper.

 

                Leeteuk smiled. She changed when she was around him. She wasn’t the Mina weeks ago who didn’t even glance at Leeteuk. It was nice to know she was comfortable enough to be around Leeteuk.

 

                Mina looked up and gave Leeteuk his pen. “Just rewrite what I wrote and your essay will be just fine.”

 

                Leeteuk reached over and ruffled Mina’s hair. “Thanks.”

 

                Mina nodded. Suddenly Mina’s vision began to blur. Her head began to pound. She put her hand up to her head trying to cease the pain.

 

                “Mina!”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                Leeteuk paced the hospital floor. Leeteuk tried to recall what had happened.  He remembered Mina collapsing into her arms and turning ice cold. He remembered manager hyung calling the ambulance. He remembered feeling so worried that all he could do was try to keep her warm.  As soon as the ambulance arrived Leeteuk refused to let go of Mina and lie that he was her cousin.

 

                “Mr. Park, the doctor would like to see you now.”

 

                Leeteuk nodded and followed the nurse into the doctor’s office.  The doctor motioned Leeteuk to have a seat. The doctor sighed and removed his glasses and set it down.

 

                “You know of Mina’s condition, correct?” asked the doctor.

 

                Leeteuk nodded. He was of course lying.

 

                “Well you know how serious it is,” continued the doctor. “But Mina refuses to receive treatment, as her cousin I would like you to take care of her from now on, her mother is all the way in Kwangju and her father is deceased, Mina basically has no one, Mina’s case is a rare one and we do not know how long she has to live, but please as her cousin make it the best it can be.”

 

                Leeteuk nodded. What could he do after receiving such news like this?

 

                “You can go in now to see Mina, she is awake.”

 

                Leeteuk stood up and walked to Mina’s room.  He opened the door and saw Mina propped up on her bed staring at the window.  He walked slowly towards her. As he got closer he noticed how pale Mina really was. Ghostly pale. She seemed so fragile. As if one touch could break her.

 

 Mina immediately noticed Leeteuk and gave him a soft smile. This was all she had to do to make Leeteuk immediately hug her.  Leeteuk hugged her gently. They stayed like that for a few moments.

 

“Mina I realized how much I care about you today, and I don’t want to lose you.”

 

“Leeteuk.” whispered Mina.

 

“Let me take care of you okay?” asked Leeteuk

 

Mina nodded. She laid her head on his shoulders and hugged him back. Leeteuk began her hair. As he did, he felt strands of hair fall into his hand. He clutched his hand together and realized he didn’t have enough time. Enough time to give her all his love.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                A month passed after Mina’s accident. They went on as if nothing had happened. Leeteuk and Mina officially became a couple. Mina was so attached to Leeteuk and relied on him for everything. Leeteuk loved that. He felt he needed to protect his girlfriend. That night Leeteuk and Mina were sitting on her bed in her apartment. He let Mina rest her head on his lap. Leeteuk noticed her eyes were sunk in more and dark circles were forming.  He touched her soft skin. She looked so sick. Mina noticed Leeteuk staring at her and knew he was thinking the same thing she was. Death. Instead, she put on a smile. She reached up to his face and the little dimple on his cheek. 

          

                Leeteuk laughed. “What are you doing?”

 

                “I want to remember what your face looks like in heaven.” Mina said as she continued to touch his face.

 

                Leeteuk’s smile disappeared. He looked away from her. “Why are you thinking about that now, I don’t believe that you’ll….” He couldn’t say the word. Die.

 

                Mina sat up. “Everyone will die eventually Leeteuk.” She smiled softly. “Do you know what disease I have?”

 

                Leeteuk shook his head. The doctor never really did explain to him what her disease was.

 

                Mina shrugged. “The doctors don’t even know, no one knows.” Mina continued. “They tried everything, chemotherapy, medications, shots, treatments, anything possible to cure me.” She touched her heart. “I continued to grow worse and worse until I just couldn’t take it anymore, so I applied for the mart job to make money for my mom who struggled with all my hospital bills.” Mina looked at Leeteuk. “I knew what my fate would be and I still held on to that string of hope.”  “I didn’t want to get attached to anyone, which was why I was so cold to you at first, I knew if I did I would hate myself for being sick and I didn’t want that.”

 

                Leeteuk held out his hand for Mina to hold. She took it and played with his fingers.  Mina looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “Promise me you won’t hate me for dying.”

 

                Leeteuk took Mina in his arms as she cried. “I could never hate you.”

 

                That night, Mina fell asleep on Leeteuk’s lap. He watched her breathe softly. Her lips were pursed in a pout a trait he found adorable. He bent down and kissed her gently on the lips. How could he live without her now that he’s seen her most vulnerable state? She couldn’t leave him now. It wasn’t time.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                “Mina!” Leeteuk ran into the store.  He found her stocking shelves. “Look!” He held out papers in front of him. Mina took them.

 

                “Leeteuk,” Mina read out loud. “An inspiring essay, the best work I’ve seen in years, please come to my office to talk about a future job in writing, Professor Lee.”  Mina looked up at Leeteuk amazed. “Is this for real?”

 

                Leeteuk nodded. “I went to his office today and he was really serious, I can get a better job and then we can live together!” Suddenly Leeteuk heard his name being called by the manager. “Coming, I’ll be right back Mina.” He grinned and happily walked to the front of the mart and greeted customers.

 

                Mina held the papers in her hand. Live together? Was that possible at this point?  She looked down at the paper and began to read the first line.

 

                “She shone as bright as the night star, twinkling in eternity.  She was as pure as ocean sea, flowing in one direction.  She was my best friend. My lover. My everything to me.  And, I didn’t want to lose her.”

 

                Mina dropped the papers in her hands and crouched down into a ball. She hugged her knees together and cried. It hurt too much too see him in so much pain.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                Leeteuk and Mina were walking out of the hospital after Mina had her check up. They walked hand in hand.

 

                Leeteuk noticed Mina wasn’t talking. “What’s wrong did the doctor say something to you?”

 

                Mina shook her head. “Leeteuk,” She whispered. “Do you think living together can become a reality?”

 

                “Of course.” Leeteuk squeezed Mina’s hand. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

 

                Mina pushed his hand away. “Will you stop kidding yourself?!” She ran her fingers through her hair.  She opened her hands to reveal a clump of hair. “Look at this, does this look normal, does it look like I can have a future with you Leeteuk?”

 

                “Mina…”

 

                She balled her hands into a tight fist. “Stop pretending that everything will be okay because it won’t be.” She sighed. “Leeteuk don’t make me leave here with regrets, I want to live as happy as I can, and being with you makes me happy, isn’t that enough?” She held his hands once again. “Leeteuk I…. I love you.”

 

                “I love you too.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

                After that night Mina didn’t receive any contact from Leeteuk whatsoever. It turned from three days to soon two weeks. Where was he? Did she just dream him saying I love you to her? Mina couldn’t erase these thoughts from her head as she continued to ring up customers.

 

                Suddenly the store phone rang.

 

                “Manager, can you get that for me?” Mina yelled

 

                The manager nodded and took the phone. “Hello, yes this is him.” Mina nodded at the customers and thanked them. She closed the register and looked at the manager. “Leeteuk shii, yes he works here but he has been abse—what, okay we’ll be there.” He hung up the phone.

 

                “Manager what’s wrong, what’s wrong with Leeteuk?” Mina asked.

 

                He looked up at her, his eyes unchanged. Mina had never seen this look before.

 

                “Mina shii, we have to go to Kwangju.”

 

                “My hometown why?” asked Mina.

 

                “Let’s just go there we need to get to the hospital.” replied the manager.

 

                Mina nodded. As they left Mina closed up the store. She got inside the managers car. She wasn’t sure what was going on but whatever it was she just hoped Leeteuk was okay.

 

                Two hours later they arrived at Kwangju Hospital. The manager went up to the front desk of nurses. He instructed Mina to stay where she was and wait for him. After a while he came to her, he wouldn’t look at her at all. The manager mumbled a few words and told her to follow him. Mina obediently did so. They arrived at a hospital door. 245. The manager opened the door and walked in.

 

                “Mom?” Mina was surprised to see her mom here. “What are you doing here?”

 

Mina’s mom ran up to her and gave her a huge hug and held her tight. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered.

 

                Mina pulled back from her mother’s embrace. “What are you talking about?” That’s when she noticed a woman and a man huddled over the hospital bed. That’s when she knew. She ran over to the hospital bed and pushed the man and woman away.

 

               “Leeteuk…”she whispered. She grabbed hold of his hands. Ice cold. Mina shook her head in disbelief. It couldn’t be. “Leeteuk!” she yelled. No response. Mina wouldn’t believe it. She continued to call out his name louder and louder each time hoping to wake him up. It went to the point where she began hitting him. “Why was it you, it was supposed to be me!” Tears continued to fall from her cheeks. “Come back Leeteuk come back…” Mina, out of breath, kneeled on the hospital floor and cried her heart out.

 

 --------------------------------------------------------

 

                At home Mina’s mother started to explain to Mina what happened.  The night after Leeteuk and Mina confessed to each other that they loved each other, Leeteuk wanted to marry her.  He immediately contacted Mina’s mother and left a voicemail.  After that he took his parents car and drove to Kwangju to ask permission. It was a bare rode that night because it was so late. Leeteuk was so excited that he sped over the speed limit to reach to Mina’s mother’s house faster. What he didn’t realized there was a sharp curve and another driver coming equally fast at him. They collided. The car tipped over. Leeteuk was rushed to the hospital immediately. His injuries were so severe that he was put under life support. His parents didn’t want to tell Mina because they thought they knew he would survive this.  But he didn’t. Before Mina came his parents went through Leeteuk’s things and found a ring in his jacket pocket.

 

                Mina’s mother held out her hand and placed the ring in Mina’s palm. She held her cell phone out to Mina and placed it on her bed. She gave her one last small sympathetic smile and left the room.  Mina looked down at her hand and the ring. It was a beautiful silver ring with a small diamond.  She wondered how Leeteuk could afford such a thing. She flipped it over and realized there were engravings on the back.

 

                “I Love You Forever.”

 

                She traced the lettering with her fingers. “Why did you have to go?”

 

6 months later

 

                Mina looked up into the sun light as she held her hand to the light. She smiled as the ring shone brightly. A nurse came into her room with a tray of food. She came over and helped Mina sit up. She reached over and fixed the hat on Mina’s head. The nurse set the tray on the table over Mina’s lap and began working on her IV. But, Mina didn’t budge. Instead, she was too preoccupied with her ring.

 

                “Mina,” the nurse said. “You have to eat sweet heart.”

 

                Mina didn’t respond. Instead she lay her head down on her pillow. She closed her eyes and smiled. Flashbacks of Leeteuk’s face ran across her thoughts. She remembered the day they first hugged, held hands, and kiss. She remembered tracing his dimple on his cheek. Mina giggled at the memory.  Suddenly, she felt the room spin inwards and darkness creep in.

 

             “I'll be there soon.” Mina whispered.

 

              Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp.