Chapter Three

Black Strings

 

""Omma!!" I woke up just in time for school. I searched around the house to realize that not a single soul was present save me of course. "What about breakfast?" I pouted and mumbled to myself. I quickly put on my school uniform and prepared my stuff before rushing down stairs where i found a note written with a curvy handwriting.

 

  Omma and Appa is out right now and probably won't be able to come back till next morning. If money is a problem, you can take the money inside your          

  drawer. Don't spend it unncessary okay! Stay safe.

 

With arching eyebrows, i frowned. I remembered that last year there was also a period of time that they left for two days straight without telling me why. And when they came back, they just said it was something important and urgent. My head started to hurt so i pushed the thoughts away and left the house.

 

----------

 

 

Today was the day before Youth day, which was a holiday for every high school student in Korea. It has been at least a week after i started attending high school. I haven't met any new friends except for Soo Jung and the usual cliques because everyone was too busy studying for the upcoming mock exams. I was almost glad for the exams because they kept me busy from thinking about Jeonghan. 

 

Speaking of him, i haven't seen him much around since yesterday with the drinks. Urgh thinking about that day my mood will stumble down. A boy that i don't even know for more than a week is giving me one of the bad headaches i ever had. Well, it was not like he hadn't been coming to school but yesterday he left school early during class because apparantly he had something "important" to attend to. 

 

"Is Jeonghan hyung not here again?" Seokmin questioned with arched eyebrows. Soo Jung stole a glance at the wall clock and processed for a minute before replying, "It has been 15 minutes since lunch, and he was absent for the first two classes. I guess he really didn't come school." 


"Did he skip school again?" Mingyu stopped on his popcicle and raised a question which received a smack on the back from Wonwoo. "Ouch! What was that for hyung?!!" Wonwoo rolled his eyes, "For being stupid, Jeonghan never evers skip school, what's with the 'again'?!" The thought that Wonwoo was being very protective of Jeonghan flashed through my mind for a second. "But..." Mingyu tried to retort but fell silent.

 

"He most probably sick." Soonyoung mentioned. Seokmin nodded in agreement with Minghao. 

 

Soonyoung suddenly brightened once again and said, " How about visiting him ? Since we never been to his place before, this might be a good chance." 

 

"Wait what? None of you been to his house before??" 

 

"Nope, well it was not that he didn't allow it, we just didn't ask. He's the type to not give away personal information, we respected that and that's why we became a clique." Seokmin smiled as he explained as if nothing was wrong.

 

Minghao said, "How are we going to his house then? If none of us been there before." He pouted and scratched his head as he ended.

 

"Easy! We can ask the teachers." Mingyu smiled brightly. 

 

---------

 

It took us awhile before we reached Jeonghan's home and i have no idea why the hell am i feeling so surprised. Like his house... is so... normal??? I didn't know why i would think of Jeonghan's home different from normal but the white gates, grey door, cabinets to place shoes and few plants made me feel that Jeonghan wasn't as special as i thought he was. Was i wrong....?

 

All of us were standing together. Soo Jung holding a package of cupcakes with the message, 'Get Well Soon!' while the rest seem excited to visit Jeonghan. I stood there quietly out of place, thinking that i shouldnt even be here. I almost wanted to leave but then it was too late when Soonyoung rang the doorbell, i gulped and waited with the rest.

 

Seconds later, a loud bang was head from inside, soon after someone shouted, "I said No! Please leave." No doubt it was Jeonghan, his voice sounded super pressured and tired. We started giving each other worried and confused looks until Seokmin decided to say, "It's us! Seokmin and the rest." Mingyu started to grab Wonwoo's hand because he was scared. He whispered, "Is hyung okay?'

 

A few minutes later, we heard the door creaked open and Jeonghan was standing there perfectly fine and normal. He gave us the usual smile and no sign of the person who sounded stressed just now. "I'm so sorry, someone tried to sell me an item, i refused so i thought that he came back again." He bowed slightly and cheeks showed tints of red. Everyone who was tensed up till now, relaxed and stopped feeling anxious. "We thought something happend to you !" Wonwoo laughed as if nothing happened just now. 

 

"We came to see you, since you didnt appear in school today. We all were worried for your health so we wish you a quick recovery, if you're sick that is." Soo Jung chuckled and lifted up the box of cupcakes into Jeonghan's face. Did Jeonghan give me a doubtful look because i swear he did. He pushed back his fringe before taking the gift from Soo Jung. He showed no signs of inviting ask in and i had this feeling that he's not welcoming. "Guys, lets go b-" Minghao cut me off with an excited grin, "Can we go inside?"

 

Everyone shot looks at him , apparantly everyone felt Jeonghan's slight hostile attitude except for Minghao who was dense as a child. "Hyung! I want to see your place. So pretty please!" He pouted and was completely oblivious to Jeonghan's tensed up body. The situation stayed for a few moments before Jeonghan finally gave in and said, "Alright. But you guys can only stay in the living room, the rest of the rooms are still incomplete." The rest of us cheered as we walked in one by one after removing our shoes.

 

"Wow hyung! Your living room is hugeeeeee!" Mingyu said as he spun around to enjoy the beautifully decorated walls. Before i could take in what his house was like, i felt an urgent call from nature. 

 

"I'll go get some drinks." Jeonghan said and walked towards the kitchen direction. Soo Jung decided to settle herself in the cozy looking sofa and Wonwoo took initiaitve to turn on the television. Mingyu and Minghao wandered around, exploring the living room. Soonyoung and Seokmin's attention was caught by the play station located on the coffee table. "Hyung! I didn't know you were rich?!" Seokmin shouted across the living room, loud enough for Jeonghan to hear. 

 

I silently followed Jeonghan keeping a safe distance, i didn't want to act too comfy with him, i'm here because Soo Jung's here, not because i was worried about Jeonghan.... He opened the wall cabinet to take out 7 cups and placed it on the counter. 

 

"Ehem." I cleared my throat.

 

He continued to search the cabinets for ice.

 

"Ehem Ehem." I tried again.

 

What is he deaf?! Why isn't he responding??"

 

"EHEM." I cleared my throat super loud this time because he jumped a little before facing me with an annoyed expression. "You scared me!!" He frowned and said. Feeling a little bad, i lifted up my head slightly and said, "I didn't , i tried to catch your attention a few times but you didn't hear me!!" 

 

"OH so the ehems was you? You could have call my name you know." He laughed which i was taken aback by. 

 

"Whatever. Can you show me the way to the bathroom?" My cheeks blushed due to slight embarrassment. "What are you getting red for?" He chuckled as he scanned my expression. This guy is teasing me! "There is no need to get embarrassed just because you need the bathroom." He continued once again as the redness on my cheeks increased. This guy is enjoying being entertained isn't he. 

 

I was about to snap at him when i caught a glance of a magnet on the fridge. It took me a few seconds to confirm what was it. Jeonghan seemed confused at my silence and turned to look at the same direction i was staring at. "What?" He asked. "Nothing much." 

 

"Well actually, are you a fan of the Divergence series?" I blurted out.

 

His eyes widened for a little before answering, "Yeah. Oh so you were looking at the Dauntless magnet on the fridge?" He realized and laughed as i nodded. "Are you too?" 

 

I nodded again and suddenly his eyes brightened. "Are you serious? No one else i know likes it. You're the first one!" 

 

He looked like a excited child who was given a toy as his birthday gift. He looked so different from the guy who tensed up at the request of inviting friends into his house. I didn't know what to reply so i randomly asked, "Are you going to watch the last movie? It's coming out tomorrow." 

 

"Yeah. I'm going to watch it alone." He said it nonchantely as if nothing was wrong. 

 

Something tells me that the reason why he's watching it alone isn't because he couldn't find someone who likes Divergent too. 

 

to be continued ...

 

Guys i hope you can understand the slow devlopment of the plot because i have to take time to introduce the background story and how is Jeonghan as a person. The main character who is MinHee is actually a person who is very sensitive and gets angry easily but is somewhat very cute and kind, she's kinda reserved towards the clique because of being cautious of Jeonghan. I'm telling you incase you haven't recognize it yet and Jeonghan... well, he's different HAHAHA please wait before the plot focus on the romance between these two.