Chapter 1 - Best Friend

Almost Over You

"Donghae, you love me, right?" Dara asked.
"Of course! Why? What's the matter, Dara?" confused, Donghae stared at her beautiful face.
"Nothing. I just wanted to make sure." She smiled and kissed his right cheek.

'Ah
. I'll never get tired of that beautiful smile', Donghae thought.

They were at the park, sitting on a bench one Saturday morning, enjoying their ice-cream.

Donghae was Dara's bestfriend for almost 10 years now. They've known each other since they were gradeschoolers. But, back then, they used to argue a lot and tease one another and friendship between the two of them seemed impossible. They openly blurted their hateful words to one another and spend their days planning on how to get revenge and ruin each others' day. This relationship lasted until they entered their junior high. Since they live at the same village, they always end up being classmates or schoolmates at least. Still filled with childishness, they tend to ignore each other everyday at school.

But, one night after finishing their first semester, a devastating news came to Donghae. He was running his way home like crazy when he received a messaged from his older sister that says,

"Hae, ppali! Come home this instant! We don't think Grandma would last any longer."

He was close to his grandmother. Since their parents are both working, she's the one who basically had raised them and Donghae treasures her so much. That's why, when their grandma bacame sick, he tried his best to bring her happiness may it be through his silliness or by hugging and kissing her everyday.

Upon arriving at their house, panting, he rushed his way to their grandma's room. There, he saw his sister, crying her eyes out with their parents. His grandma, lying on the bed, breathing weakly. He carefully took a few steps beside her bed, with tears in his eyes. He suddenly felt so weak and consumed. He grabbed her cold clamy hands and put it in the side of his now tear-filled face. "Grandma..." he croaked. Slightly, his grandma's eyes open and she smiled upon seeing his grandson. Weakly, she said, "Hae-yah, I guess grandma needs to rest now. God knows how much I love all of you and maybe I have served my purpose in this world already that's why He wants me there home with Him now. But, before leaving, I hope and pray that you all will find happiness and you, kid, will be married and have little Donghaes running around this house. Hmm?" She coughed. Donghae squeezed her hand tightly, crying, but she smiled and managed to press his hands weakly and continued, "Donghae, promise me to introduce the lady you love, eh? I'll be anticipating on that." Donghae could only nod and hugged his frail grandma but suddenly her arms slowly fell limp. And, everything became blurry to Donghae as he saw the lifeless form of her grandmother.
 


Sandara's POV

Donghae is my best friend ever since i don't know when. Haha. Nah, kidding!

I will never forget that day when we suddenly became the closest friend and eventually ended as best friends.

It was the end of the first semester of our junior high. I saw him running home like his was on fire. I was about to laugh at him but I saw his eyes. I was so suprised to see those eyes. It was teary, seemed alarmed and afraid. I began thinking of the things I've done to him and even thought that maybe I went overboard but I can't seem to consider one of those fatal. Fatal in which he would looked so devastated just like that. So, out of curiosity, I went near to some of his friends who were talking about his sudden action and began asking them.

"Hey, what happen to that weirdo? Haha." I asked 
them nonchalantly.

"We don't know either. He received a message a while ago and upon reading it, he became still and lost. Then, he abruptly run, leaving us flabbergasted." one of his friends said.
"Okay. I guess, he really is too weird." I said and left.

 

On my way home, I passed by their house. It was dark and it seemed that they were not in there. So, I guess he should've went somewhere else and I continued walking. I stopped at the near-by playground along the way and decided to ride the swing since it's still early to go home.I was enjoying the view of the sunset that afternoon and I tell you, it was so beautiful. It made me smile. As I was swinging happily, I've heard faint sobs coming from somewhere near. I looked around and saw no one. It was creepy. I felt the cold running through my spine.
"Anyone, there? Show yourself! I mean, if you're human. But, if you're...you're..you know, a g-ghost, please spare me my life." I cried.
No one responded but still, I can hear the sobs. I began searching for it (because you know, my curiosity's taking over me again). I went near the bush and the sound became louder. I pushed them to the sides 
to reveal the person crying and I was taken aback upon seeing who it was.

"Donghae?"

I was unsure and hesitant at first but then he suddenly looked up with his eyes red and all-puffy from crying.

"W-what are you doing here? Leave me alone." he croaked.
Ignoring his behavior, "Why are you crying? What happen?" I asked worriedly.
"Mind your own business!", he shouted and hid his face between his knees.
I was left shocked not because he shouted at me or w
ith him being rude but something stirred up inside me as I saw him in that state - breaking down, crying and in deep agony.
Instead of getting angry, I unconsciously kneeled beside him and wrap my arms around him. I felt him stiffen. I don't know what's gotten into me but I can't 
seem to accept the fact that my arch enemy can be this weak, too. I was unknowingly consumed by his sadness as I embrace him. To be even more surprised, he slowly lifted his head and open up his arms only to capture me and hugged me tightly.
"Tell me, why did my gradma has to die? Why does she have to leave me?" He choked out in between his sobs.
Patting and rubbing his back, I begun, "Shhh
.. Everything happens for a reason. We might not know it instantly but sooner or later, God will surely show us that it is for the best." He cried harder. "B-but, why my grandma? She's so pure and kind. The world needs someone like her for a long time." He tighten his hug to me but I gently rubbed his back, assuring him that I'm still there. "Shhh..calm down, Donghae. I'm sure your grandma won't be happy to know that you're crying and being that ugly." I chose to lighten the mood and joke a little but he continued sobbing miserably.
"Yah, crybaby. Stop already, okay? You're stronger than this, aren't you? In fact, I thought you're tougher than me. Remember 
last year? I've lost my dad, too. But look at me now, my life still goes on and I've come to realize  that atleast my dad will be free from suffering here on earth anymore. So, instead of being miserable here, you have to get a grip and show your grandma that you're doing well for her. Okay? For her. Shhh.." I said softly.

After a couple of minutes, he stopped crying and let me go. Hiding his face to his side, he stood up and bowed, leaving me behind.

'Haaay. Boys, eh?', I told myself 
but I understand him though. I hope he'll cope up now.

I finally left and went home.


After that incident during their junior high, the two suddenly became comfortable with each other. And gradually open up their feelings, frustrations, hopes and dreams to one another. They became each others' best buddy and they knew that whatever happens, their friendship will remain.

But, unknown to Dara, eversince that incident, Donghae have developed feelings towards her. And, for 10 years now, he kept it by himself. Finding no courage to confess and tell her what he truly feel for her. He's afraid that she might misunderstand and will leave the moment she knew. He wanted to kept her by his side forever even if it cause him to just be her 'friend'.