Catching Up

Nan Babo Rasseo (Because I'm A Fool) [EDITING]

 

"Don't call me by my nickname." I snapped at her. She looked down and hyung pat her back. A sudden tension filled the room and I couldn't help but stare at her and at the same time, shoot daggers at my brother. How can they do this to me? Why is fate so cruel that I even have to get my heart broken so that they could be happy?

"Eomma, who is that?" A kid of age 2 or 3 asked, pointing at me. I hadn't taken notice of her until now. She had the wide eyes that I fell in love with several years ago. Her cheeks, too, looked like Mika's. There's no denying that she is indeed my first love's daughter.

"KaRa, that's ShinWoo samcheon." Hyung introduced. I can sense sadness and guilt in his voice. "Shin, this is KaRa, my child." He forced a smile as he gently pat the little child's head.

"Is this the kid?" I stared at her. She lookes so adorable, so innocent... Hyung nodded awkwardly. "How old is she?" I forced a smile. I pitied the kid. I couldn't let her know what was really going on. She's too young to see this. She doesn't really have to know this story. As much as I want to hurt my brother for taking my only love away, I can't just ruin Kara's childhood with my selfishness.

"She's turning three next week." Hyung answered.

"Ahh... Is that so?" I recounted the years that passed us. So, she did leave me for my brother. "Anyway, let's eat something, shall we?" I tried to ease the tension between us. Our parents are already giving us concerned stares, knowing fully what the situation is about. I shouldn't ruin my vacation here. MiNam is enough to keep me down.

"Yah. Kang WooYoung." I smacked my brother's shoulder playfully. "Do you already have a girlfriend?" I mocked my him. WooYoung blushed at my question. Looks like my brother really is going through puberty. "Kidding aside, how are you doing?" I offered him a friendly smile. We're not that close since we had a very huge and I was so busy with both my schooling and training when he was growing up.

"I'm planning to audition as a trainee at any entertainment company." He smiled at me. Well, it wasn't new to me. My brother have always wanted to be an idol. He sings pretty well and could really dance. Well, of all the Kangs, dancing is the only trait that I did not inherit. Talk about being unlucky...

"Are you sure? You wouldn't have enough time for yourself if you do that. Look at your hyung. I couldn't come home until ANJell finally had to lie low. But, anyway, it's your decision. If you're really dedicated, then, AN's open for you." I pat his head. "What about you, Kang InWoo?" I turned to my sister. She looks like a young lady now. Very much different from the 14-year-old InWoo that I have left.

"I was thinking of taking up medicine." She smiled.

"That's not a bad idea." Though studying is not really my thing, it seems that she really was interested in it. This scene reminded me of the time I went to Seoul for the final round of auditions.

 

"Are you sure about this, Shin?" Appa looked at me, not really approving of my plan. I mean, who would? Busan is really far from Seoul. And if my plans do really work out, I won't be able to freely visit them as I wish.

"Yes, Appa." I embraced him. I couldn't say anything more. I didn't want to cry and I don't want to rethink my decision because I know that if I did, I'll be turning my back against the opportunity and just stay with my family.

"Remember, you can inherit the company since your hyung wanted to be something else." My dad was really trying to stop me. He wanted me to inherit the family's business. It was a small shipping company but it had so much potential to be one of the leading shippers in Korea in the near future. My dad had inherited it from my grandfather and he wanted one of us to help improve the business. In truth, he had expected me to be the one who would take the lead in the company. He had trained me to be the next CEO since I was young but I just couldn't like the profession that was being offered to me on a sliver platter. "You don't have to work hard, Shin. This company is already doing well that all you have to do is sit in the office and sleep on your chair." He still continued to persuade me.

No, he's not antagonizing my dream. He was just curious as to why I wanted to take the road where there is no definite result while I can have everything in the company.

"I have thought about this already, dad..." I smiled at him.

"But Seoul is really far away..." He frowned.

"I know. But just please support me in this, appa." With that, i embraced my family then started on my way to the boarding area. They were gazing sadly at me, trying their best to smile and make me feel their support.

 

"I have a couple of gifts for you guys..." I pulled out the heavy bad that I have brought with me.

"Did you get me the shoes I wanted, hyung?" Wooyoung asked excitedly.

"Of course." I nodded and handed him the Jordans that he has been asking for.

"Wah! Thank you so much, hyung!" He took the shoebox and held it close to him as if it was the most fragile thing that he had ever touched.

"I got you your wristwatch..." I handed Inwoo a small box of the Chanel watch that she had been posting online.

"Oh, my, God." She beamed happily at me. "Thank you so much, oppa~" She pecked me on the cheek and proceeded to fit her gift onto her wrist.

I smiled as I gave my gifts to my hyung and parents. I brought hyung the shoes he wanted to have and appa the tools he needed. I didn't bring anything for Kara, basically because I didn't know she even existed before. Inwoo was understanding enough (and too happy enough about the wristwatch), let me give the stuffed toy I bought for her to Kara and a bottle of perfume to MiKa.

 

After more of the catching up, we finally decided to go to our rooms and sleep. My siblings thanked me one last time as I shut the door to my safe haven.