Least Favorite

Attracted To You
            Every year they called it the Halfway Dance at Big Hit High School where students gather afterschool to enjoy an event full of activities and performances. And, of course, it is a celebration for surviving halfway through the school year.
            “Oh My Gosh…did you guys hear that BTS is going to open and close the performances this year?” a group of senior hurriedly charged toward the quad where the excitement was starting to get tensed.
            They were too hyped, forgetting who they were running into. And those who were more alert had to dodge the rush.
            Knowingly the poor girl set herself aside saving herself from being dirt to the ground.
            “These fan girls…,” she clenched her teeth glaring their way.
            She was on her way home, but she kept having thoughts of joining the event. On a second thought, she didn’t want to head home, yet. It wasn’t so pleasant or smart of her to do so.  She sighed mentally cursing at herself for not being able to come to a conclusion for such a simple decision.
            She was slightly shocked when she felt a tapped on her shoulders causing her to nearly yell the hell out of her soul; but she was immediately able to pull her shock aside when she turned abruptly to see who initiated the action.
            Her eyes were as wide as anyone’s would be seeing that one of the members from BTS was standing before her. Of course, she knew who he was. Who wouldn’t? But it doesn’t concern her. She stood awkwardly before the youngest BTS’s member, Jeon Jungkook. For a moment, she thought he was just dumb to stand there, awkwardly. But she herself was also in an awkward position or you can say situation.
            Whatever he was doing was nothing concerning her business. Probably, he even tapped the wrong person’s shoulder. Without a proper excuse, she just stepped to the side taking her leave.
            “Hold on…,” she heard him called after.
            It became totally strange for her. What was happening? Everything on her mind earlier just disappeared. And he seemed to have tapped the…right person.
            Jungkook casually walked up to her. Or at least he tried to be.
            “I see you’re heading home,” he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck and pressed his lips into a thin line.
            “So?” it wasn’t the answered he expected, but at the same time he wasn’t surprised.
            He postured himself again sliding his hands into the pockets of his jean, “the performances afterschool shall be amazing to watch. It…it will be great if you can join us all.”
            “Come on, Jungkook, we need to practice,” she heard the leader calling from a distance.
            She didn’t understand why he was still standing there. He tapped his foot as if he was waiting for a response.
            “I hope to see you there,” he quickly slurred his words together before rushing off to where the leader’s voice came from.     
            As she watched him running away, she couldn’t recall what just happened. It happened at such a fast-paced. Since it was such an unlikely thing to happen; she wasn’t sure herself if it was real.
           
            “Youngni…,” she turned her back seeing her three friends walking up to her.
            The youngest, Park Soomin, walked up and slid her arms over Youngni’s shoulders.
            “Don’t tell me you’re trying to rush home first?” the oldest, Minji asked.
            “Says who?” Youngni retorted.
            “Ay…I saw Jungkook running from here earlier. Did you guys happen to meet?” Chancy, the friend who is the second oldest and a weirdo, raised an eyebrow.
            “Did you?” Youngni asked with no interest.
            “Oh…come on,” Soomin said, “he’s your member in BTS, we give him to you. You should…”
            “Didn’t you guys say you guys want to have fun?” Youngni spread a huge smile, immediately wrapped her arms over Chancy’s shoulders, which was closer to her.
           
            Fans were screaming on the top of their lungs as the emcee announced BTS for the opening. By the time they all know it, everyone was going crazy. Youngni and her friends were crazily jumping to the beats as the boys started rapping and gradually transformed to singing. 
            As the group’s performance came to an end, the seven-member boy group took the chance to thanks all the people who were loudly cheering for them.
            “Good afternoon everyone, I’m BTS’s leader Kim Namjoon known as Rap Monster. Thanks everyone one for giving us love. We are happy to see and hear that so many students were anticipating our performances. We’ll continue to work hard to put on wonderful show for you guys.”
            “Hello, everyone. I’m Kim Seokjin known as Jin. Thank you for coming to see us.”
            “Hello. I’m Min Yoongi known as Suga. Thanks for the love and I hope you all will have a great time today.”
            “Jung Hoseok known as J to the Hope. BTS’s J-Hope here. Thanks for coming and cheering for us. Hope you all will have a blast today.”
            “Hey,” he waved to the crowd stirring some loud cries, “It’s Park Jimin. Thanks for the loud cheering. Let’s have fun today.”
            “He..llo. Kim Taehyung known as V. Thank you for loving us. We shall celebrate for surviving. Shall we?” the crowd gave a loud cheering.
            As Jungkook patiently waited for his turn to speak, his eyes wondered around the crowd. A smile crept to his face without him knowing.
            After the crowd quiet down Taehyung handed the microphone to Jungkook, “Jungkook?”
            He blinked a couple times innocently before comprehending to why the older member called him. When he took the microphone he stuttered a bit while blankly looking at the crowd, “Hello, I’m BTS’s youngest member, Jungkook. Thank you all for the loud cheer. I’m thankful for the love you guys are giving us. Please look forward for our improvements.”
 
            “Guys time to play games,” Youngni dragged her friends over to the game booths with much excitement.
            “Sorry…you can’t play this game it’s designed for a guy and a girl,” the four girls’ face filled with disappointment.
            “I’ll play with her,” Jungkook showed up next to the girls pointing specifically to Youngni before she got a chance to complain.
            The other three girls were shocked along with the girls monitoring the booth.
 
“What has gotten into him?” Jimin whispered into Taehyung’s ear as the group stood behind huddling together to see the youngest taking action.
“He’s just helping them to play the game,” Seokjin waved off anything mischievous thoughts.
“Aye, I’m after. I’ll play with her,” Namjoon pointed to Soomin, who was in line after Youngni. Shocking Soomin, she scooted a bit closer to the older two.
A bunch a girls ran closer shouting for the members to play with them.
“I’m not playing,” Youngni retorted and turned to her friends.
“Didn’t you want to play?” Jungkook unconsciously grabbed onto her wrist.
She immediately started turning into a light shade of pink as a rush of heat came over her. She uncomfortably stared at the contact initiated by him. Youngni quickly pulled herself together as students were starting to whisper. Jungkook immediately trembled inside knowing he must have done something wrong.
When she tugged her hand away, all he could do was to stare at her back distancing away.
“What are we going to do?” Soomin grabbed onto Minji’s arm and started shaking it.
“She’s mad,” Minji responded.
“Should we follow her?” Chancy said, dumbstruck as things happened too fast.
Minji accidentally glanced at the BTS members and became nervous for even doing so.
“Let’s go after her,” Minji urged the girls to hurriedly leave the place.
 
“Let’s practice for the last performance one more time,” Yoongi suggested to kill the tensed atmosphere.
“Didn’t we already…” Taehyung blurted but his mouth was covered by Jimin’s hand to prevent any further disclosure.
“Jungkook, let’s go,” Seokjin pulled him as they squeezed through the crowd.
 
“I don’t know where she ran off to this time,” Minji said as they searched her usual spots.
“She must have head home,” Chancy suggested.
“Oh…she said don’t look for her and enjoy the rest of the event. She’s going home,” Soomin read off her phone.
“What can we do?” Minji said, “Let’s just go back to the event then.”
 
     After BTS closed the event, students started to head home. Jungkook told s he had to rush home and left as soon as the last beat in the song came.
Jungkook ran home, but before he was even near home, he made an opposite turn in a neighborhood opposite to his. He slowed down and casually walked around like he just came from school, which was where he actually did come from.
He couldn’t count the amount of times he actually walked around the neighborhood. As he looked up into the sky, it was already darken. He probably failed and messed up big time.
 
“Hey, you might want to come back to school,” Taehyung called Jungkook.
As soon as Jungkook received the call, another thought triggered his mind. He met with s as they were still practicing in their dance room.
“I should have thought about it before doing it,” Jungkook sulked down and sat on the couch.
“You’re not going to go meet her?” Jimin asked.
“I don’t think she wants to meet me now,” he shared his inner thoughts.
“But I think you want to meet her,” Namjoon bluntly said. The leader sighed, sat next to Jungkook, and slouch an arm over Jungkook’s shoulders.
“There’s nothing wrong if you secretly sees her, Jungkook. Even if you sneak a peek at her while she’s not aware, it’s not a crime to do so.”
“She’s just at the opposite end,” Taehyung pointed.
Jungkook looked down. He wasn’t sure if evening seeing her was right.
“We’re going to practice,” Hoseok said, “if you feel better and want to join us then go ahead. If not and want to sneak a peek, you’re welcome to do so.”
            “It’s ok. I’ll just practice,” Jungkook said and got up to get into position with the members.
 
            Youngni enjoyed her peaceful walk as she casually strolled to school, but her time was destroyed once she reached the school ground. And it was the reason why she hated to involve herself with things that didn’t matter.
            She rolled her eyes in a low level of anger as people were already beginning to get on her nerve. She sped up her pace as she headed straight to the place she knew there would be no one. But her paced slowed down as she heard a soft beat coming from somewhere. The music became louder as she followed the hallway path.
            “Who would be playing music at such an early time?” she wondered peeking into a room, which seemed like a dance room.
            After a quick eye scanned, she marked it safe to enter. To her amazement the place looked a bit messy, but very pleasant to dance in. The dark brown flooring and dark lighting made the room fill with such a delightful atmosphere. Shifting her attention, the soft tone escaping from the giant speakers made her mood a bit lighter helping her to escape whatever she was experiencing earlier.
 
            “I can’t believe that boy. I told him to go home,” Namjoon complained a bit that the youngest refused his order.
            “He texted us too early,” Taehyung whined while yawning multiple times as they made their way to the dance room.
            “He said he’s taking a shower, so wait for him to come out,” Seokjin shared the latest message he received.
           
            Jungkook shuffled in the bathroom as he dried himself. When he heard some light footsteps, he fastened his pace throwing on a spare white t-shirt and a black jean—the extra clothes the members saved in the dance room for emergency.
            “You guys are here faster than I…,” the shower gave him a better mood making his bright voice echoed cheerfully in the room and stopping halfway when he saw who was in front of him.
            His tightened his lips and gulped roughly as if something clogged up his throat. 
           
            It was another strange moments shared by the two.
            “I thought it was…,” Jungkook’s heartbeat increased by his nervousness seeing Youngni in front of him.
            She was frightened and shocked, embarrassed and angry that she had caused herself to come to such an awkward situation again. She quickly retraced her steps and rushed for the door. She twisted it open but it wasn’t turning. Her heart rapidly beat against her chest.
 
            Jungkook stared at her rushing away as if he was a ghost she’d seen. He watched as she clumsily tried to open the door but it refused to open. He thought it was strange and was a bit curious to what she was going to do next. His nervousness seemed to subside seeing how cute she can be.
            Youngni turned to Jungkook, “why is the door locked?”
            Jungkook gave a thought about her question. He looked from side to side delaying time causing her to shake from anxiousness.
            He slightly shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know,” and gave a smile.
            She eyed him a bit before pulling herself together. Focusing back on the door, she tried again a few times.
            “Are you in a rush to get out?” Jungkook asked when seeing how much force she was putting into opening the door.
            She completely ignored him and tried her best.
            “Why did you come in here?” he courageously asked.           
            Youngni stopped and turned to him, “You,” she pointed at him. She mentally cursed at herself for being such a fool.
            He gave a crooked smile.
            “Open the door.”
            Without knowing his smile changed into a smirk, he knew perfectly what he should do.
            “What do you need to say?” he hinted.
            She narrowed her eyes at him, “can you open the door?” she used her thumb to point to the door.
            Jungkook tilted his head and shrugged turning his back.
“P-please?” Before he had the change to sit on the couch he heard her unfamiliar tone of voice.  The word sounded quite distance from her like a foreign language.
He threw a smile on before turning back with a straight face. Deciding not to play with her anymore, he walked to the door not knowing exactly what was wrong.
                       
            Jungkook easily opened the door earning a jaw dropping expression from Youngni but she hid it well.
He directly looked at her, “by chance, were you playing?”
Youngni felt a rush of heat crawling up on her. She swallowed the lump in speeding out of the room.
 
          Jungkook chuckled at her embarrassment and every question on his mind was all solved when he saw s walking in laughing.
“Did you see her face?” Hoseok laughed, “She clearly was embarrassed and flushed to have spent a quick moment with our Jungkook.”
“Yeah right,” Yoongi smacked Hoseok’s chest, “or is it more like…our Jungkook was flushed spending a quick moment with her.”
Jungkook turned a bit red from the teasing the members was throwing at him, “I knew you guys would cause trouble.”
“Here’s your uniform,” Namjoon handed him the bag, “next time go rest at home or at least tell one of us to stay here with you.”
“Ah…sorry to have worried you,” Jungkook grabbed the bag, “thank you, our good leader.”
Namjoon gave a huge smile causing his eyes to disappear.
 
“That freak,” Youngni ran for her life. She hated that she kept putting herself in inconvenient situations. For the next time around, she would make sure nothing like this would ever happen again. That dance room was marked with the sign ‘banned’. She was banning herself to enter that side of the campus.
            “Hey, guys,” she spotted her friends and rushed over with a different excitement.
            “You’re better?” Soomin asked.
            “Of course, that won’t get to me,” Youngni waved off the hard feelings. “Guess what happened?”
            “What happened?” Chancy exaggerated a bit diving her head down to hear what Youngni was about to say.
            “Oh, no you didn’t?” Minji questioned in surprise.
            “You meant you entered without knowing and just got locked and got out like a dumb person?” Soomin tried to understand the story told.
            “Yeah…it was pretty embarrassing,” Youngni admitted, “So…I’m not ever going there.”
            “That’s what you get for being too noisy,” Minji said.
            “I was just a bit curious,” Youngni confessed, humiliated.
           
            Life wasn’t just hard enough. The passed days it has been quite hard for Youngni to get around school without one student trying to pick on her. Her walks to school weren’t peaceful as before. Her quiet and fun times to hang out with her friends weren’t comfortable to crack jokes without the eyes of anyone.
Youngni uneasily made her way to the lunch table where her friends were already waiting for her.
“You mad?” Minji asked.
“Yeah,” she accidentally raised her voice a bit.
“Sh…” Soomin put her index finger to her lips.
“I can careless at this moment. What the freak did I do to those people?” Youngni angrily picked on her tray of food.
“You don’t know what you did to those people?” Minji raised one of her eyebrow.
“Remember you said that you met him?” Chancy refreshed Youngni’s memories.
“And?” she clenched her teeth.
“They’re jealous,” Soomin concluded, whispering to make sure her head would stay connected with her neck.
“What does that have to do with me?”
Minji sighed at the younger one clueless mind.
“Girl, listen here,” Minji made herself comfortable, “don’t you think that he’s been paying extra attention to you?”