Beautiful Goodbye

Runaway

Krystal’s POV

 

None of us could speak after what we’ve heard. We sat in silence and tried to grasp the terrible truth. Tension and sadness filled the air. The door was left wide open, the cold wind rushing right into the room. Yet no one bothered to stand up and close it. It was as if time had stopped. It was as if the whole world had fallen on our shoulders, so heavy that we could barely move or even breathe.

 

Minho was the first to speak. “I searched for him for days and nights…but I…I couldn’t find him.”

 

“All I found was his coat stained in blood…under a tree that had…”

 

Minho sighed, as if looking for courage to tell us what he had learned.

 

“He was hanged to death.”

 

Fresh tears formed in my eyes. He had died such a terrible death.

 

“I saw these inside the pocket of his coat. It’s for you.” Minho stood up and walked towards me. “I suppose he wanted to give this to you.” He handed me a ring and a partly blood-soaked envelope with my name on it written in Henry’s perfect penmanship.

 

I started crying even harder. There was no more denying it, no hope left that Minho was just lying.

 

Henry was dead.

 

And there was no one but myself to blame.  

 

************************************************************************

Once I was alone sitting outside the house, I gently kissed the envelope. With trembling fingers, I opened it and started to read the letter inside.

 

To Her Royal Highness: Princess Krystal,

 

I do not know how I shall ever be able to tell you this face-to-face. Thus, with all my courage, I write this letter in order to express my feelings for you.

 

Five years ago, when I first saw you – even before I learned about who you are – I had already thought that you were the most beautiful woman that I had ever laid my eyes on. When you treated me with so much kindness even though you might have thought that I was just a common peasant, I found you more beautiful than I already did. When you spent your entire afternoon just to show me around the kingdom, I had started to admire and love you.

 

However, the day came when I learned that you were my king’s daughter, I felt so unworthy to be by your side. I tried to suppress my feelings, yet I could not. I found myself looking for ways to catch a glimpse of you everyday. Moments spent with you have always been the happiest memories I have.

 

But as we both know, the tides have changed. The kingdom is now at chaos and only you - and your sister - can save it. I know you can. I believe in you. I believe in your strength, wit, and heart. I know you will do everything in your power to save the kingdom. As I write this letter to you (which I pray will reach you someday), I count the minutes before my life ends.

 

Worry not, Your Highness. I do not regret protecting you until the end. You are the jewel – the Krystal – of my life, and I would do anything for you. If I had the power to choose how I would die, I wouldn’t choose it to be any other way as it is now. I shall die saving you. And I shall die happy because I was lucky enough to have met and have loved you while I had lived.

 

I can hear the foot steps of my executers approaching my prison cell as I write these lines. I will not live to see you again, but in the next life, if we meet again, will you marry me?

 

Forever Yours,

Henry L. VIII

 

“Yes, I will, Henry. Yes, I will marry you…” I mumbled with tears streaming down my cheeks. I carefully slipped the ring to my finger. I held his letter close to my heart.

 

 

************************************************************************

 

 

I woke up the next morning depressed and confused. I dreamt about what had happened the previous day. And in my dream, I saw Victoria’s reaction upon hearing the news.

 

Relief washed over her face when she heard that Henry had died.

 

There were tears in her eyes, yet she, for a moment, smiled. Then she sobbed like how we all did.

 

Was she happy about Henry’s death? Or was she thankful that it wasn’t her husband that had died? I was hoping that the reason was the latter.

 

But I couldn’t forget about all the other things I’ve witnessed. Late at night, I would see mysterious men walking towards the barn which was a mile behind the house. I followed them once, and listened to their conversations.

“We’re attacking when the shipment of arms arrive.”

 

“Nickhun better hurry. There’s not much time.”

“….and Princess Jessica…” “Quiet! Don’t say her name. Someone might be listening. All our plans will be discovered.”

 

I never got the chance to listen to all they had to say, since I had to run lest I get caught or Lady Victoria notices that I’m missing.

 

But these things were for sure: Nickhun and Victoria were accomplices of these men, and they were responsible for my sister’s disappearance.

 

And I might just be the next one to disappear too.

 

I had to escape before it was too late. I couldn’t let Henry’s sacrifice – his own life – for me all be a waste.

 

Tonight, I will run away.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: First update in a really long time. Did you like it? Please do comment ^^