There's No Escaping Reality

Runaway

A/N: Hey there! It's been a long time since I updated. I'm here to give you a short KhunToria chapter. I hope you'll like it ;)

 


[Victoria's POV]

I paced back and forth. Taemin's curious eyes followed me as I walked. I let out a sigh. I was on the edge of losing my mind.

 

Two weeks had already passed. Two weeks since I last saw Nickhun or heard any news from him. He had left with the rest of the rebels to pick up the shipment of weapons from the port which was miles away. I was dying of worry.
 

What if the queen's men had caught him, brought him to prison, then beheaded--I couldn't finish the thought. Nickhun had to be safe. He promised me he'd come back for me and for our son--
I placed my hand gently on my stomach--and for our baby.

 

One week after he left, I realized that I was with child. "If Nickhun doesn't return, this baby will have to grow up without a father," I muttered.


"Mama, are you worried about Papa?" Taemin's voice startled me. It made me realize that I couldn't go on worrying all day. I had to take care of my son.

"A little," I admitted as I sat beside him. "Do you worry about him too?" I his hair affectionately.

"No," he shook his head. "I know Papa is strong and brave. He'll come back soon with a present for me. He promised."

"I guess you're right, Taeminnie." I answered. "Mama is just worrying too much."


If only it was that simple to believe that Nickhun was safe despite all the perils threatening his life. I closed my eyes and recalled what happened the night before he left.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

We walked under the starry night sky hand-in-hand. We both stared at each other as if we'd never see each other again. Nickhun pulled me into a hug and gently kissed my forehead.

"Don't go," I begged.

"Vic, love, I have to," he whispered in my ear. "If I never come back--"

"No," I cut him short. "You're coming back. Promise me.".

He nodded. "I promise," he said, his brown eyes fixed on mine. "I promise."

Nickhun lifted my chin up and kissed me like there was no tomorrow.

"I love you," I told him.

"I love you more." Nickhun kissed me again. "And I'll love you forever."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 



All of a sudden, I heard the front door slam open followed by Krystal's voice weeping, saying, "No....no! It can't be..."


Taemin and I ran into the front room. Choi Minho, the messenger had arrived. Shindong, our cook, had emerged from the kitchen. His usual cheerfulness and energy seemed to have been drained and replaced by gloom. Krystal was kneeling on the floor, crying. Minho had tears in his eyes.


"What--what's wrong?" I asked shakily.


They did not reply. They just looked at me, their faces filled with anguish and sadness, as if telling me the news that I had been dreading to hear.