o n e

Ah Yeah

 

 

 one; 


 

“Oh my- Mark!” His aunt exclaimed as she opened the door and saw Mark, with his luggage. Mark just came back from Los Angeles, and now here he is, back to Korea, welcomed by his aunt’s warm embrace. “It’s nice to see you, Aunt Eunju.” Mark replied, also giving his aunt a hug. “You’ve grown so much tall, and you’re a beautiful man now!” His aunt complimented him, as Mark went inside, bringing his things with him. Mark took a seat first on the sofa and released a deep sigh of relief, as he was now back in his hometown and getting over with the boring flight all the way back here.

 

“How come you haven’t text me that you’re already here?” His aunt asked him as she was placing plates and glasses on the table. “I should’ve fetched you in the airport.” She added. “Nah, it’s okay auntie. I don’t want to bother you too much.” Mark answered, trying to hide his bit of embarrassment from his aunt. Honestly, he had really forgotten to contact Aunt Eunju. His parents also told him to call her when he arrives in Korea. “Whatever you say, Mark.” His aunt was already finished preparing the table. “So, shall we eat? I prepared soy garlic chicken.” His aunt smiled at him, as he stood up and went towards the dining table. “You still remember my favorite food, huh?” He replied, as they both sat and ate.

 

After a few munching and a small talk, their lunch ended. Mark brought his luggage and unpacked his things. When he was finished, he decided to plop his body in the bed, as his childhood memories sank into his head. He still remembers every single bit of what happened when he was a kid, and he loved the fact that even he was now 18, he still doesn’t forget the things he did back then when he was a child. He smiled and closed his eyes, as he let himself indulge in the moments wherein he was still a human being with no problems, and was just a little guy who was so curious about the world, and how life works.

 

Just then, as he opened his eyes, he looked at his left and saw a walkie-talkie.

 

His walkie-talkie?  No.

 

 His father’s walkie-talkie.

 

And at the moment his eyes bored into the device, his memories about it started to sink into his mind: those times where he and his father played like they were special agents and were talking over the small device, the time when he used it whenever he’s lost in a mall or any public place, when he always used it to talk with his mom whenever he and she would fight and he would lock himself in his room,

 

And by the time he gave it to a girl.

 

As soon as he thought about his last memory of the walkie-talkie, he quickly sprung up from his bed, and rushed downstairs, taking the walkie-talkie with him. He quickly put his shoes on and just as he was about to open the door, a voice called him out.  “Where are you going, Mark?” Aunt Eunju asked, as she was in the living room, totally unnoticed by her nephew. “Somewhere. I’ll be back in a bit.” He said as he opened the door and left, totally ignoring the whole “déjà vu” thingy.

 

 

---

 

He didn’t pretty much remembered the way to the playground, but his instincts were leading him to it. As he ran off the streets of Seoul, his mind kept thinking of things.

 

 ‘She must be there.

She has to be there.

She needs to be there.’

 

He was occupied by his own thoughts, until he looked to his right and saw the place he was looking for. He took a deep breath and slowly approached the playground. As he looked around, he noticed that it was still the same playground he always played at when he was a kid, although it looked older; the paint on some certain parts of the slide were scraped off, the chains on the swings were a bit rusty, as well as the monkey bars, and the seesaw was already making a creaking sound when it moves up and down.

 

Then, his mind suddenly reminded him of his real intention of going to the playground.

 

Unfortunately, the girl wasn’t here.

 

Well, what would he expect? The girl didn’t even know that he was coming back. He should’ve thought that the girl won’t just go there by accident and would cause a reunion between the two of them. Then suddenly, he thought of a he-didn’t-want-to-believe-on possibility- that she forgot about him. Just as Mark thought it, it already pinched his heart. Even though he knew that it could happen, or more like, it was what would probably happen because a) he was just a total stranger and the girl just didn’t mind his words that day or b) the girl maybe forgot about it already because it was way too long ago.

 

As he was letting himself hurt in his own thoughts, his phone suddenly vibrated. He took it out from his pocket and saw that Jackson, his friend, was calling him. “Oh hey Ja-““A-yo  Mark!” Mark’s greeting was interrupted by Jackson’s. “We’re already at your house right now, where are you by the way?” “W-what!?” Mark’s eyes widened at his friend’s words. “The whole group is already here. Sorry we’re a bit early. We couldn’t just wait for you!” Jackson replied on the other line, alongside with his other friend’s screams and loud voices. “H-hey! Don’t touch anything yet or I’ll beat you! I’m on my way there!” Mark said as he ended the call, going for another marathon again and this time, back to his starting point.

 

---

 

“Party time!” Jackson shouted, totally overruling the whole house (maybe even the whole neighborhood) with his voice as he the music, totally making his friends dance wildly to the beat, except for Mark. Aunt Eunju was about to head off to her work when Mark’s friends came to her house. As soon as they got there they asked where Mark is. Aunt Eunju said that he’ll be back in a while so she told them to wait. Aunt Eunju was about to refrain from going to the office but she thought that it was embarrassing to her boss to go on an absent again today, because she didn’t went to work yesterday because she was preparing for Mark’s arrival. After a few minutes, she told Jackson and the group to just wait for Mark as she left for work.

 

Bambam noticed that the boy was still lost in his own thoughts, so he poked him, causing Mark to snap out of it. “Hey, you should enjoy the party! Don’t you feel like dancing with your pals?” Bambam asked him as he was jumping and was just wiggling his arms, claiming that what he was doing was a dance. “I’m still tired from the flight.” Mark answered, as he sat straight up on the sofa, and took a sip from a glass of coke. “You guys can do whatever you want.” He added. Bambam, who was confused at Mark’s words, released a sigh and mouthed ‘okay then’ at his tired friend, continued to go crazy with the others.

 

When all of them got tired from their dancing, they all took a seat on the sofa, except for Yugyeom and Youngjae, who were at the floor because the sofa was already full. As the house again was silent, the boys stared at each other, examining each of their exhausted expressions from jumping and doing whatever they could do with their arms that they could consider as dancing. Then suddenly, Jackson spoke. “So…” He paused for three seconds. “Who’s up again for the next round!?” Jackson exclaimed as he stood up from his seat, as there was no sign of exhaustion from his face. His friends just looked at him until Jaebum spoke, “I’m already hungry.” As the others heard his words, a series of murmurs were let out by some of them as they agreed to Jaebum. Jackson’s lips were formed into a frown. “Hey, hey, we can party later. We’ll just take a short break and then…” Yugyeom said. “We can party again!” He remarked as he and Jackson screamed in happiness at the younger’s idea, which made the others laugh. “You guys are just all a bunch of crazy minions.” Mark stated as he got up from his seat and looked at the fridge. “There’s still some soy garlic chicken here.  You guys want some?” Mark offered them as he took out a container of the uneaten chicken that he and his aunt had at lunch. “Call. But, that looks not enough for us, though.” Youngjae said as he looked at the box. “We can just order something else. Call?” ”Call.” Jaebum said as he and Youngjae looked at the restaurants nearby Mark’s home.

 

Meanwhile, as Mark was reheating the chicken in the oven, he went upstairs. As he got into his bedroom, he sat in his bed, and took out the walkie-talkie. He thought about the girl again whom he met nine years ago. He could still clearly remember what happened that day- when he saved her from the bullies, had a little talk, and making a promise to her of meeting again when he comes back to Korea. He could also remember the girl’s face- those twinkling eyes, those cute, chubby cheeks, and that cute smile of hers. Mark smiled as he remembered that precious day, that unexpected event in his life, which he treasured for nine years, and counting.

 

“Still thinking of her?” Mark was cut off of his thoughts when Jinyoung suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Mark looked at him, as he approached Mark and sat beside him. “Yeah…” was the only answer Mark could give to Jinyoung. “You know, you don’t even know that girl much, yet you’ve been bragging her to us for like forever.” Yep, you heard it right. Since then, Mark couldn’t keep his mouth shut about the girl he met when he was a kid. When he was in L.A., and when technology as well as them, were already growing up, he and his friends would always have group video call and just talk about things. Just then, Mark suddenly told this to his friends and they were surprised at his story. He kept telling it to them until they grew tired of hearing it, but Mark  wasn’t growing tired from bragging the girl whom he had given his walkie-talkie to, whom he had met unexpectedly nine years ago, whom he had protected from the bullies, and whom he had promised to meet when he comes back.

 

“I just couldn’t stop thinking of her, you know that.” Mark said as he sighed. “Although I know that it’s close to impossible meeting her again.” He added, as if he had already grasped to that one possibility that he didn’t want to happen. “Well, you know Mark, if she’s got to be it, then destiny will find a way for the two of you to meet again.” Jinyoung said as he patted his friend’s shoulder. “Don’t worry too much about it. You’ll just get up in your own world agai-“ Jinyoung was cut off by Jackson’s sudden appearance. “Party time!” Jackson hopped in front of them, both of his hands shaking in the air, making the two laugh at his dorky actions. “Again? Already?” Mark whined, but still smiling from what Jackson did. “Just joking . Food’s already here. C’mon!” Jackson replied as he started heading downstairs, with the two following him. “Hey, don’t eat the food yet!” Jackson cried out, as he didn’t want himself to get the smallest piece of chicken.  

 

 


 

 author's note 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah  So, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my story! I don't think it's that long, but I guess it's enough to completely introduce Mark's side after nine years. Haha. Next update, maybe Mark's girl will show up- and yes it's EXID's Hani! Haha. Well, as always, comment your thoughts on the story down below! If you liked my story, then subscribe so you won't miss my next update! And if you loved it, upvote! Thanks again evryone reading my work, and that's all. Bye! 

 

p.s. and oh yeah, their ages here will be bit different (younger) than their official or current ones, because I'll not be following their real ages. haha. just informing you if you seem kinda intrigued to Mark's age.