two of ten

1 to 10 Equals Me & You

Taemin and Jongin stumbled out of the critique room breathlessly. They exchanged another glance before giving each other another sweaty hug. They made mistakes but nothing they couldn't mask over with impromptu moves that were developed from their incredible chemistry developed over the months since they first started practising together. They received top marks from the instructors. The CEO was present today and no one could miss that proud fatherly smile from him. 

There was another reason for Taemin and Jongin to love critique sessions. True, all the trainees are always nervous, including them, but they usually come out on of the top, especially among the dance focus trainees. That, however, is not the main reason. To be exact, after every critique session, the management always prepare luxurious lunch boxes for the trainees to reward them for their hard work.

Taemin and Jongin grabbed a box each and hurried to their dance studio. That very dance studio they first practiced together had long became their usual place. While Taemin went back to the lounge to get them drinks, Jongin went ahead to open both lunch boxes and started transferring his beef into Taemin's lunch box and swap out his friend's fried chicken pieces to his own lunch box. Taemin returned just when he dropped the last piece of fried chicken into his lunch box. Taemin snickered.

Before long, both boys were done eating and had the trash cleared into a bag. They sprawled out on the floor happily. Taemin counted off the minutes in his head and soon enough, he heard soft snores emanating from the younger boy. He turned his head a little to observe Jongin's sleeping face. Despite his charm when he was dancing, Jongin looked more like the young boy he is when he sleeps. 

Feeling the moment, Taemin lifted Jongin's head gently before sliding his arm below to pillow Jongin's head. Jongin instinctively turned his face into Taemin's chest and drapped an arm around the older boy's waist. Taemin grabbed their discarded hoodies to use as a pillow. When he got comfortable, he pulled Jongin closer into him and closed his eyes.

 


 

Kyungsoo crooned the last note, letting it fade out softly. Chanyeol played the last bar on his guitar before staring at Kyungsoo in wonder. 

"Wow. Kyungsoo. Fantastic. Like always. Bravo!" Chanyeol started clapping his hands loudly.

Kyungsoo laughed, "You're not bad yourself. Now, do your rap."

Chanyeol shook his head, "Nope. I'm doing this with you. I can do without my rap. That isn't anything special but you cannot do without your voice. It is a crime to not showcase your voice."

"But Chanyeol, you should showcase your talent too. You can rap really well. Why hide it just because of me? You know, we can-"

Chanyeol sighed, "Kyungsoo. My rapping ability is nothing amazing. It is just... merely something I do fine but nothing impressive. Your voice is out of this world. Let's be real. Your voice and my rap doesn't go together and giving up my rap for your voice it a really small price to pay."

"But Chanyeol. This is unfair. I-"

"It is more unfair if I added in stuff to tone down the attention your voice deserves. Seriously. Accompanying your vocals with guitar is already a challenge to me."

Kyungsoo felt really bad. His friend's talent should be shown but Chanyeol always humbled himself to boost Kyungsoo into the spotlight. Chanyeol always insisted and he seemed to be really sincere about it. Kyungsoo saw only amazement and honesty in Chanyeol's eyes so he always went along.

But not this time.

"PARK CHANYEOL. SHUT UP FOR A MINUTE."

Chanyeol fell silent sheepishly. Chanyeol may be older but this smaller, and younger, boy always seem to be able to demand that much more respect for his stature. 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath, "I'm just saying, before you kept cutting me off. There are lots of songs in English that consists of smooth vocalists-" Kyungsoo pointed at himself "-and weird looking rappers." Kyungsoo turned his finger on Chanyeol. "Why don't we try it?" While Chanyeol considered, Kyungsoo pulled out his phone, poked about on it and continued, "Doing English songs covers are impressive too. I've considered the fact that your English pronunciation is atrocious but you can write your own rap in Korean. We can look for translations of the actual rap and you can get some idea from there. And I can harmonise anything, including rap." Kyungsoo shoved his phone screen towards Chanyeol, showing him a video of such song. To prove his point, Kyungsoo sang along and, true enough, harmonised and provided ad libs at the rap portion.

Chanyeol fell silent after the clip ended. He stared at Kyungsoo for several moments. Kyungsoo got increasingly nervous.

"Do Kyungsoo, bless your adorable heart shape lips, it will be more than daebak if we can pull this off."

With that, Chanyeol, without thinking too much, pulled Kyungsoo towards him and planted his lips directly on Kyungsoo's lips. Kyungsoo grew still in shock but soon relaxed and kissed him back.