Chapter 14

Silent Warriors

Hoya was angered beyond himself. Just as Dongwoo peeked through the door, to see what had been happening, Hoya had thrown a container filled with pencils against the wall. Dongwoo jumped and pressed himself against the door frame.

 

Hoya dug his nails into his cheeks in frustration as he let himself fall onto his chair.

Dongwoo still stared at him with wide eyes, pressed against the door frame.

Since Hoya had screamed loud enough that practically all comatose patients would have woken up if they, well, weren't comatose, Woohyun and Sunggyu had made their way as fast as they could to Hoya's office.

 

Nothing looked out of order, except for the shattered container, a hole in the wall and a frightened Dongwoo holding onto the door frame as if his life depended on it.

And there was Hoya, who still had his fingers digging into his cheeks, behind his desk.

Even if Woohyun wasn't present, it was all enough for him to see that the doctor was furious.

 

Sunggyu looked confused, from the two nurses to the doctor.

Sunggyu had offered to go with Dongwoo, so Woohyun could talk to the chief.

Dongwoo gave Sunggyu a grateful look, as he grabbed his wheelchair and pushed him away.

 

Woohyun closed the door and looked around Hoya's office, waiting for Hoya to calm down a little. It looked nothing like Sungyeol's office.

 

There were shelves decorating one wall, which were filled with plenty of books and folders of old patient records. The other wall had a few frames hanging, one of them being Hoya's med graduation and doctor's title. There was no sofa or armchair. There was no coffee machine.

 

“So, you wanna tell me why you were close to scream every ICU patient awake?”

Woohyun crossed his arms, eyebrows raised expectantly. Hoya dropped his hands, just to hide his face in them.

 

It was barely audible and Woohyun nearly missed it.
“Sungyeol's heart stopped during the surgery and the surgeons didn't report it to us.”

Woohyun felt like time had stopped. An icy shower slowly made its way through his body as he slowly dropped his arms. There was shock written all over his face.

“What.” Was the only thing Woohyun could reply.

“That's... That's reckless! I mean- That's so! Oh god.” Woohyun had no words as he tried to lean on something.

 

“He could have died from the medications. They could have caused side effects.” Woohyun couldn't see, but Hoya was crying. His shoulders were shaking lightly.

It took Woohyun a lot of courage to ignore his mind screaming the same words Hoya had spoken out a few minutes ago.
“But it didn't. All we can do now is to make sure that he gets the correct medication. Get a cardiologist and work with them together. I'll... I'll tell his family.”

 

Woohyun turned around to leave, though he halted a few steps later. “You also should call the janitor. To get the wall fixed.” And then he left, silently shutting the door.

 

Woohyun had texted Daeyeol, who had furiously sent him messages Woohyun couldn't decipher. Two minutes later, Sungyeol's parents were calling him and the station. Twenty minutes later, they had an appointment with the CEO of the hospital. The family had been in a debate for nearly four hours.

Two weeks later, the surgeon had been suspended from work and was now under monitoring by the medical association.

 

Hoya had continued the process of reducing the medication slowly never the less. The cardiologist he was now working with had an excellent record and was willing to do overtime. Every two hours both of them checked up on Sungyeol.

 

It had been the middle of may when Daeyeol came to visit. His parents' boss was still angered with them and refused to give them time off to visit Sungyeol.


“It's boring without you, Yeollie. You missed New Years Eve and Lunar Year... You even missed my birthday.” Daeyeol softly hit Sungyeol's arm. “Remember the dog I got you? It still doesn't have a name. I'm waiting for you to name it.” He paused as he leaned back a little.


“God damn it, these gowns are suffocating me. How do you even stand them? How can you even work on the ICU? Would be too stressful for me. I want a more relaxed job. Maybe like an anesthetist...” Daeyeol put his elbows up on Sungyeol's bed, resting his head on his hands.

 

“Damn, right. It's not as relaxed. I have to find a hospital where I want to do my resident year. Maybe I'll stay with Mum and Dad..Maybe I'll come here and make your life hell. Since you're now the attending.” He chuckled, listening to the silent sound of his brothers heartbeat.

 

Daeyeol drew small circles on Sungyeol's hand.

“You know, I passed all my exams as the class best- got honors too. I wish you'd have been there when I showed the folks. Mom and dad were really proud, you know?” A strained smile crept on Daeyeol's face. He knew that Sungyeol wouldn't answer yet. After all he was kept asleep by medications. He started to tap lightly onto the older's hand to the beat of the heart rate.

 

“You are a great person, Yeol. And a great doctor. You put so much effort into finishing your degrees fast and well. But at what cost? Look at you... You barely had time for yourself. Be it during Uni or while working. All you did was study and work. And somehow it backfired, didn't it? You don't deserve any of this. It shouldn't be you lying here.” Daeyeol pursed his lips, trying to hold back the sorrow.

 

“Honestly Sungyeol, don't you think it's time to finally wake up? Mom, she's suffering the most. She keeps pretending everything's okay but she's always crying when dad leaves for work and when I'm still in my room. I mean, I know what I'm talking about. I'm following your steps. I'm going to ignore that you missed my birthday. But please, come back now. Mom is breaking and so is dad. Even if he hides it certainly better than mom.” Daeyeol sighed.

 

“Did Woohyun tell you that... this... person... is on trial? For.... you know. Hurting you... They let him out on bail though. I can't believe they did? He's a danger for the society... and for you. If you don't feel safe anymore, I understand. Just tell me, I'll make sure no one hurts you. After all, you're my big brother and it's time to repay you for everything you sacrificed and did for me. Just... tell me okay?” Daeyeol half expected his brother to raise his head and nod, his usual bright smile blending him. The other, rational side of Daeyeol knew that his brother wouldn't.

He bit his lip.

 

“They will probably summon you as a witness. You can make it, right? But you will tell them if it gets too much, right? I wish they would let you write your testimony on paper.” He took a silent breath. “Maybe they will let you testify on video? At least like that you don't have to face... him.”

 

Daeyeol didn't let go of Sungyeol's hand. Even after Hoya and Woohyun had entered.

He didn't even notice they had come in, as he was too occupied with filling his brother in.

 

The two invaders watched the youngest among them all silently talk.

“Daeyeol.” Said man jumped visibly. Daeyeol was tense, his face showing a mixture of fear and shock.

He quickly collected himself.

 

“You scared me. Don't do that again.” Woohyun offered an apologetic smile. “Sorry, didn't mean to.”

“So what's up?”

Hoya cleared his throat. “It's about the date. You know, the awakening phase.”

 

Daeyeol still held Sungyeol's hand, though his interest had been sparked and he devoted his full attention to them.

 

“We've already started to slowly taper the medication. And as you can see we changed the tracheotomy to just a nasal tubus.”

Daeyeol squeezed Sungyeol's hand lightly. “Yeol, did you hear? You're going to wake up!” A bright smile, similar to Sungyeol's, spread across the youngest face.

 

Never would have Woohyun thought that he would hear these words out of the mouth of his closest friend's brother. Never would have Woohyun even dared to dream that these words would be directed at Sungyeol. He couldn't wait for the day Sungyeol woke up.

“Since Sungyeol has been exposed to strong sedatives and narcotics, he might not be able to recognize any of us. He might show signs of disorientation and maybe develop anxiety. We will help him find back into everyday life.”

Hoya looked back onto the file, making sure he didn't miss out something.

 

“He might not wake up immediately. That's usual. I would say he will be fully awake within a week.” Daeyeol, still too happy by the news that he would finally get his brother back, nodded.

“Yeah, yeah I know. But” As sudden as the smile had appeared, as sudden it diminished again.

“He won't remember what happened right?” There was something hopeful in his voice.

 

Hoya bit his lip, Woohyun whipped slightly from one foot to another.

“I'm... I'm not a psychiatrist nor a neurologist, let alone a doctor but knowing Sungyeol... He might, you know-” Woohyun cut himself off.
“He might suffer from PTSD. It's quite normal, even if he doesn't show the symptoms right away.” Hoya finished Woohyun's sentence. “That's how his body and mind will deal with what happened.”

 

Daeyeol looked back at his still sleeping brother with pity in his eyes.

“The last bit will be reduced by the day after tomorrow. I'll contact your parents and explain them everything. If you can, please come by everyday from now on and talk to him, bring him his favorite music and smell. Everything he's familiar with.”

 

“Oh and Dae. You don't have to leave if visiting time is over. Stay as long as you want.” Hoya's head snapped to Woohyun. Hoya threw him a threatening glare. “You can stay over with me. I still didn't use the bed yet, so...you can have it or sleep on the floor with me.” Woohyun ignored Hoya's glare as he kept his focus on Daeyeol, who gave him a grateful smile.

 

In the end Daeyeol came in the earliest hour possible and left right before midnight.

Throughout his stay, he kept telling his brother's unconscious form stories from his university.

 

The days passed quickly and Sungyeol was slowly regaining his consciousness. Within a week and a half, Sungyeol was sitting straight up on his bed, his mother not letting him go as she clung onto him as if her life depended on it. Sungyeol had his bony hand on her back, trying to calm his hysteric mother down. Confusion was written all over his tired face.

 

Sungyeol had made space for his mother as he pulled her next to him. Sungyeol's mother was fussing around him. His hand was itching. Sungyeol soon realized why. The cannula on the back of his hand was irritating his skin.

The nasal tube had been replaced by nose prongs. It was more comfortable that way for Sungyeol.

 

His mouth was dry and it took him several seconds to find his voice again. It cracked a few times, as he hadn't spoken in months.

“Everything's fine mom, I'm fine.” Even though Sungyeol had practically slept five months through, he still was tired. Too tired.

The weariness in his voice didn't convince his mother.

“Sungyeol, you're sweating your shirt through again. It's the third in two hours now!” His mother fussed with the shirt Sungyeol was wearing. Sungyeol looked visibly uncomfortable, with everyone being in the room and watching him being stripped by his mother. After she had put a new clean shirt on, she dabbed the sweat away with a towel. Sungyeol had watched his mother with hidden curiosity.

 

Hoya stepped in, making his presence known. He had asked everyone to leave for at least twenty minutes.

The glare Hoya had gotten from Mr. Lee was menacing, making Hoya wince lightly.

 

At least now he knew here Sungyeol had gotten his death glare from.

 

It took a few minutes for the room to clear. Hoya patiently waited in the corner, watching Sungyeol's every movement with hawk eyes.

 

Sungyeol glanced around, stopping to stare at the corner opposite to Hoya. He played unconsciously with the sheets, fumbling and pulling them lightly. He didn't move his gaze from the corner for a few more seconds before he looked out of the window, as if nothing had happened, again.

 

“Hey Sungyeol.” Hoya gently spoke up, as he slowly made his way to the stool next to Sungyeol's bed.

Hoya hadn't spoken loud, but Sungyeol flinched at his name being called and snapped his head to Hoya, watching him with fear ridden, big eyes.


It broke Hoya's heart, to see Sungyeol's beautiful doe eyes filled with fear.

He probably didn't even know what he was scared of.

 

“How are you feeling?” Hoya asked, in the same gentle tone as before. He had sat down, crossing on leg over the other.


“Good.” Sungyeol replied. His answer was firm.
“I'm glad to hear that, you scared us a big time. I'll ask you a few questions now. Try to answer them as good as you can, yes?” Sungyeol searched Hoya's face for a short second, before he nodded curtly.

 

Sungyeol crossed his arms, digging his nails into his upper arms.
“Do you know what day we have today?” Hoya held the pen lightly between his fingers, as he gave Sungyeol a friendly smile.

 

Sungyeol thought for a few seconds, tapping his fingers now in a fast rhythm.

“Tuesday.” He said. But then he frowned lightly. “No, Wednes- Thursday?” He looked unsure. Sungyeol stopped tapping his fingers and dug them back into his arm.
It took Hoya all his will might to keep his smile on.

“Yeah, I'm sure it's Thursday.” Sungyeol said, surer this time.

Hoya nodded lightly, writing a few things down. He made sure Sungyeol couldn't glance onto the papers.

“And do you know what date we have?” He asked after a few more seconds.

 

Again, Sungyeol's brows furrowed in concentration. He dropped his hands and started to tweak the sheets.

“December” he mumbled, barely audible. Hoya had to strain his ears to hear. Sungyeol had glanced for a fleeting second at Hoya, then out the window.
“Yeah, December. 7Th?” It was more of a question than an answer, but Hoya took it.


“Sungyeol, do you know who these people in here were?”

This time, Sungyeol didn't answer right away. He stared at the same corner again, picking on his arm in irregular beats.

He had a distant look on his face.

 

Hoya waited a total of five minutes, before he repeated the question again. Sungyeol slowly turned his head towards Hoya's figure, his eyes still focused on the corner.

Sungyeol pursed his lips slightly before opening his mouth. He didn't make a sound though and Hoya watched him with rising anxiety.

Two minutes passed like that, Sungyeol opening and closing his mouth over and over again. It was like someone was telling him to speak but then to shut up.

 

“Yeah, I do. Mom, dad. Daeyeol. Woohyun.” Hoya nodded. He was anxious and he couldn't shake that feeling off.

“Do you know where you are?” It took Sungyeol a few seconds to answer. His eyes fleeting around the room, as if he noticed only now that he wasn't at home. This time, Sungyeol gave Hoya his full attention.

The dullness in the younger's eyes was suffocating. “Hospital.”

Hoya pursed his lips for a brief second, after Sungyeol had looked away again.

 

The shirt his mother had put him on was wet with sweat again.

“Tell me something about yourself.” Hoya leaned back, putting on a friendly smile again.

 

Sungyeol started tapping his fingers again, this time onto the bed.

He looked intently at Hoya, watching him. His calculating gaze pierced Hoya's soul. It was like Sungyeol looked right into him and it made Hoya feel uncomfortable. Never had he ever have the notion to even think of being uncomfortable around Sungyeol. After all, Sungyeol had always been spreading a positive and happy aura, mesmerizing everyone by merely standing next to them and giving them a smile. After all, Sungyeol had always made everyone feel comfortable.

 

But seeing the dullness in Sungyeol's eyes, seeing the usual cheerful expression everyone was used to being replaced by languidness and the overall change of the way Sungyeol moved and even spoke, made Hoya uncomfortable to the point that he wanted to run out of the room and cry in a corner.


“I know what you're doing.” There was barely any emotion in his tone. It made Hoya shiver slightly. Hoya didn't change his position, he waited for Sungyeol to continue.

“I am a doctor too, I know what you're doing.” Now Hoya heard the accusation.

He felt bad, for questioning Sungyeol like that but it was necessary. Especially after the long sedative therapy Sungyeol's body had been set out.

 

“I'm not crazy.” Sungyeol whispered, there was a pleading undertone audible. He had cast his eyes down onto the bed, drawing small circles with his finger onto the sheets.

Hoya felt tears spring up. He swallowed hard, gripping the pen harder in order not to spill his tears.

 

“No one says that you are, Sungyeol.” Hoya gently said. “You know right? That it's mandatory to ask these things. You had to multiple times before too. Remember?”

Sungyeol looked briefly at Hoya, his lips pulled into a thin line. He nodded a few times, before looking back onto the sheets.

 

“How about this! I'll leave now and visit you in a few hours again? Then we will continue talking yes?” Hoya had leaned forward a tiny bit.

It happened too fast. Suddenly Sungyeol was standing, towering over Hoya with a murderous glare. He had ripped the IV out, as well as the nasal prongs.

 

“I'm not a ing child, do you hear me? I can take care of myself! I don't need anyone to babysit me! I don't need you breathing my neck down as well!” Sungyeol's chest hived up and down heavily. He had troubles breathing.

 

Hoya was scared, by Sungyeol hovering over him like he was ready to plummet his head onto the wall.

Hoya composed himself quickly though. He put the file and pen aside and stood up, raising his hands up slightly.


“I'm not babysitting you. None of us is. You left a hard time behind you. We are just here to support you. No one is breathing down your neck, Sungyeol. None of us are. Let me stop the bleeding now, yes? And here, let me put the prongs back in. They will help you breathing easier.” Hoya slowly and gently put his hands on both of Sungyeol's arms, guiding him backwards until Sungyeol's knees hit the bed and he sat down.

 

The anger had dissolved into fear. “They are breathing down my neck though” he had whispered. His big eyes completely filled with terror.

Hoya listened to Sungyeol murmur about some hooded figures watching everything he does as he stopped the bleeding and tried to find another spot for a new IV.

 

“I'll be right back.” Hoya informed Sungyeol, though the latter seemed to be lost in his own thoughts.

Hoya left the room, Woohyun following him to the med car.

As Hoya looked for a new IV set, Woohyun waited with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised high.

Since Hoya had made no move on telling him what was happening, Woohyun decided to corner the doctor.

 

“Spill.” A threatening undertone was woven through.

Hoya straightened up again, closing the drawer again.

“I need you to check up on him every half an hour. He seems to be in a Delirum and.. I still need to ask a friend. She's a psychiatrist.”

 

Hoya pushed past Woohyun without another word, leaving the shocked nurse behind.

He entered Sungyeol's room again. The taller hadn't moved an inch since he had left. He still was staring onto the same spot, lost deep in his own, probably horrifying, thoughts.

 

Hoya closed the door silently, which made Sungyeol snap back to reality and stare at Hoya with watchful eyes.

“You accidentally ripped the IV out, so I'll put a new one in. Okay?”

Sungyeol blinked once in approval as he watched every movement of Hoya.

 

Hoya had pulled on a pair of disposable gloves and was now ripping the package of the IV open.

 

He palpated Sungyeol's arm again, Sungyeol's piercing gaze heavy on Hoya.

As he was about to push the needle into the spot he had found, Sungyeol jerked his arm away, shielding it with his other hand.

 

“What are you doing? Are you trying to kill me?”
If Hoya had thought his heart was already shattered into as tiny as possible pieces, he was wrong. The words were dripping with fear. Sungyeol might not know, for now, why he was scared of sharp things. Even his subconsciousness was telling him that something horrible had happened.

 

Hoya tried to reassure the slowly going hysterical Sungyeol that he wasn't trying to hurt him. That he was just trying to help him and that he needed the IV so he wouldn't get sick.

It took Hoya another five minutes to calm Sungyeol down. He distracted him by making him count the tiles on the ceiling.

 

After he had safely helped Sungyeol back into his bed, he bid his goodbyes. Sungyeol waved absentmindedly.

Hoya let the Lee family back in again, advising them once more to bring many things from Sungyeol's room, scents he was familiar with or music he loved to listen.

After that, he quickly strode away from Sungyeol's room. He wanted nothing more than to forget what he saw and still hold onto the image of Sungyeol from around six months ago.

 

Hoya's friend only had time a few days later. She had dropped by and, after she had examined Sungyeol, she had confirmed Hoya's suspicions.

The days between Sungyeol's waking and the meeting passed by quite uneventfully. Except for one time.

And that one time escalated pretty fast. Too fast.

 

Hoya had been doing his routine check ups, as he heard a loud commotion in the hallway.

 

More exactly, it was the sub-intern Sungyeol had been pretty fond of. She was yelling at someone, Woohyun backing her up.

Hoya frowned, excusing himself for a short moment before he left the patient's room.

 

He followed the shouting voices until he landed right in front of Sungyeol's room. Woohyun was holding Sungyeol's favorite student back. The rage in Woohyun's eyes spoke bands. There were two investigators who looked equally as angry as the nurse.

The sub-intern, Yoo if Hoya remembered correctly, was standing between Sungyeol's door and the investigators. Hoya crossed his arms, waiting for anyone to notice him.

Until then he would stay and listen.

 

“-irresponsible! The fact that you pushed a patient in a delicate state as far is just irresponsible! You were only allowed to talk to him while a doctor was present to prevent what just happened!”

Nurses, doctors and interns alike peeked out of patient rooms, trying to catch something of what was going on.

 

Woohyun went silently back in, doing whatever to tend Sungyeol. Hoya didn't hear any sound coming out of Sungyeol's room, which made him pretty suspicious. He had expected for Sungyeol to be angrier than the staff.

 

“He threw our notepad at us! We just asked him a question and he threw our notepad at us!” the bulky officer reasoned.

“No, he didn't throw the notepad at you because you asked a question. He threw the notepad at you as you tried to handcuff him to his bed.” She squeezed her stethoscope in anger, keeping herself from shoving the officers.

 

“Excuse me, you did what?” Hoya had heard enough. No one handcuffed his patients.

No one handcuffed his Sungyeol.

Hoya stepped forward, halting next to the student. His arms were still crossed, a passive observing look on his face.


“You are? His attending?” the other bulky officer asked.
“Yeah. I'm his leading physician.” Hoya replied coldly.

 

“We want to speak to the chief physician.”

Hoya suppressed a smirk.

“Today must be your lucky day. It's me.” he pointed out again. The two officers shared a look before one of them cleared his throat.

 

“We came to question Mr. Dr. Lee regarding the crime against him months ago. And he just started going nuts.” Hoya narrowed his eyes dangerously.

 

“You had no permission to enter his room.”

“We are aware that we should have found his real leading physician-”

“Yet you didn't and here we are. “

 

A loud, fast and irregular beeping noise shifted Hoya's entire attention to Sungyeol's room. “You are waiting here. We aren't done yet.” He said as he jogged into the room.

 

“Sungyeol, you need to calm down!” Woohyun kept repeating this one sentence as he pulled out a oxygen mask, latching it onto Sungyeol's face. With quick, skilled movements he had taken off the nose prongs before. Once the oxygen mask was attached to the O2 bottle, and Sungyeol had the mask on his face supporting his shallow and fast breathing, Woohyun gently pushed Sungyeol down onto the bed.

 

Hoya hived a silent sigh. He left and came back within a minute, holding a 25ml syringe.

Woohyun had put multiple cushions under Sungyeol's legs. He was currently lifting the feet part of the bed, bringing Sungyeol's long legs into a 90 degree angle.

 

Sungyeol was still taking shallow breaths. He had lost the little color he had again, paling instantly. Woohyun checked the fluids attached to the IV.

Sungyeol was lying flat on his back. His eyes were widened, pupils dilated and for a split second Hoya's thoughts flew back to the afternoon where everything had changed. The afternoon that had taken away their Sungyeol.

 

Hoya composed himself as he handed Sungyeol the syringe. “Sungyeol, can you please-” he was about to pull the oxygen mask down, but Sungyeol grabbed his wrist with his left hand, squeezing it painfully. Sungyeol's skin was clammy.

The fear was written all over the tall man's face.


The monitor was still beeping furiously, the BPM already at around 160.

“Sungyeol.” Hoya held Sungyeol's hand lightly. The grip was still tight on his own wrist.

“You need to please blow into this syringe. It will help you.”
Hoya had put on with great effort his reassuring smile. He slowly reached for Sungyeol's fingers around his wrist and pulled them one by one off.

Sungyeol pulled the oxygen mask off his face and took the syringe. Something clinked around as Sungyeol lifted his right arm as well. His arm was restricted.

 

Hoya looked down to Sungyeol's right arm. He was still cuffed to the bed's bars. Suddenly Hoya found himself glaring at Woohyun, who raised his hands in defense.

“You stay here and make sure he blows the syringe. I'm going to be back. Right away.”

 

 

Not even two seconds later one of the officers entered, Hoya behind them. His face was a blank canvas, but Woohyun knew better than to trust it.

 

The second officer was about to enter as well, but Hoya slammed the door shut in front of his face.

“Take off the cuffs. Now.”
Hoya's voice rang loud and clear through the room, drowning out the slowly regulating beats of the heart monitor. It was sharp against the gasps leaving Sungyeol's mouth.

 

The officer seemed to turn around to protest, but decided against it when he noticed Hoya's posture. Nothing indicated that he was even up to negotiating. The glare burning its way through the officer's back made him give up and slowly approach Sungyeol's bed.

 

Sungyeol was lying stiffly, flat on his back, still struggling to breath into the monovette. His arm made it nearly impossible to do what Woohyun had instructed.

Woohyun half expected Sungyeol to lurch himself at the man who had put him into this position. Yet all Sungyeol did was bring his hand to the syringe and start blowing into it.

 

“You may leave now.” Hoya opened the door, gesturing the officer out. Reluctantly, he made his way to the door.

“We expect to question him today.” he said before stepping out.

 

Woohyun's eyebrow twitched in anger and he tried to control himself. Hoya closed the door again.

Woohyun watched Hoya as he went back to Sungyeol's side.

 

Woohyun had supported his arm on the bars, every now and then Sungyeol's hair out of his face.

 

Sungyeol's breathing had calmed down, his heart rate back to normal.
“Keep the syringe with you. You will need it more often now, I guess.” Hoya was about to put the nose prongs back in, but Sungyeol took them away from the doctor.
“I can do it myself, you can leave.”

Woohyun raised his eyebrows at his best friend, who ignored it gracefully as he put the prongs back in.
Woohyun pressed the buttons to lift the head part again.


“Sungyeol-”

“Cut it Hyun, I'm not a child. I can take care of myself. I didn't graduate early to get babysat.”

“No one is babysitting you, how often do we need to tell you?” Hoya's voice rose in anger, Woohyun being completely ignored again as he glared the doctor down.

 

Sungyeol's narrowed eyes snapped towards Hoya.
“Oh, yeah?” He snorted.

“We're here to help you. If you like it or not, you are not on duty for the next months. And you won't leave until I deem you healthy enough. You're not helping us or yourself if you refuse our help.”

 

Hoya angrily pulled his pen out, starting to scrabble onto the handover papers.

“Woohyun and I are putting extra hours every day just to assist you. Because you are familiar with us. I don't care if you graduated med school early or not, but right now you're a patient. I'm your doctor in charge. And Woohyun is your nurse in charge. Your family is doing their best to help you get back fast on your feet but you refuse, for reasons not known to me. Take it, or leave it.”

He smashed the paper together, shoving it into his white coat.

Without another word he rushed out of the room, Woohyun close to follow.

 

“Did you really have to say that? If you can't handle him in that state, hand his case over to student Yoo.”

Hoya knew Woohyun didn't mean it in an offending way, he probably was just caring about not only Sungyeol, but also Hoya.

 

“I'm not going to hand him off to someone who just graduated, nurse Nam.”

“And I didn't expect you to press into a wound of a patient who can't control what he says or does, Doctor Lee.” Woohyun gave him a knowing, yet disappointed look as he strode into the nurse lounge.

 

Needless to say, Hoya felt inferior than before. 


Word count: 5195