Chapter 5

Silent Warriors

Warning: Some (major) cussing ahead!


A week or two had passed, and Sungyeol had all the test results he needed. From the ultrasound to the MRI scans. The biopsy went rather well. Surprisingly, the head of the department didn't give one snark remark and the students behaved rather well and asked only important questions, never trying to break his concentration. Doing a biopsy was an easy thing for Sungyeol though, almost a routine you could say.

His instincts had proven to be right again. 
Right now, he had gathered all the staff, from nurses to young med students and nurse students. 
One hand was stemmed into his hip, the other clutching the patients file. 

The real reason why he gathered them forgotten long ago. It had happened when he was waiting for the staff to take a seat. Sungyeol had opened the file of Mrs. Oh, with the intention of rereading her vital signs.  

He had expected papers filled with notes on her blood pressure, position, complications and given medications, Sungyeol was greeted with nothing but a handful of blank papers. Here and there was an annotation about a changed bed sheet.

The last proper note was the one he had written, after the biopsy results had been back. 
As soon as the last staff member arrived, which unfortunately happened to be Dongwoo, Sungyeol exploded without even waiting that the senior nurse hadn't even taken a seat.

“You see. Usually I'm not the type of a person to yell or scream at anyone on this station, no matter what happens.” Sungyeol hived a deep breath, his voice had gotten louder at half of the sentence. He tightened the grip on the file.

“But this!” Sungyeol raised the file a little higher for the shocked staff to see better. 
“But this is ing unreasonable! I can't believe any of you! This is a god damned Intensive Care Unit, a god damned Intermediate Care Unit!” 
Sungyeol was slightly panting from anger, his face a shade of unhealthy red.

He waved the file again, this time harder. 
“You, all of you, are learning from the early days of your education! You get it drilled into you, that you have to document everything you do and every medical assistance you give a patient!” As of this moment, he was screaming, the color of his face even darker than before, building a stark contrast to his colleagues pale faces. 
From his outburst the late arriving nurse had clutched a cupboard, out of shock.

Sungyeol searched the eyes of the others who were present, his eyes glittering with anger.
“Do any of you know what this means? What will happen if something should happen to the patient? To whom it will happen?” 
Some lowered their heads. The older nurses stared at Sungyeol in disbelieve, as if he was lying to them.

“Who was assigned to Mrs. Oh besides me? Doctors, students and nurses alike.” 
This time he had lowered his voice, though it still was visible in his posture that he wished no more complications. 
When no one spoke up, he raised his voice again. 

“I asked who was assigned and therefore responsible for this file besides me!”
And slowly, five hands meekly raised. Another three raised slowly, though barely high enough to be seen.

More than half of them were freshly graduated nurses and assistance doctors. 
“Follow me, all of you.”  Sungyeol turned around and left the room, hearing a few chair scrape and footsteps carefully tapping behind him. 

Woohyun had caught up with him.
Sungyeol didn't give him a chance to ask though as he curtly ripped his office door wide open, urging them in. 

Woohyun gave Sungyeol a knowing look. 
“Alright, I'll get face.” he murmured and Sungyeol slammed the door shut.

Sungyeol put the file onto his working table, gesturing with a quick hand movement that the others should sit down onto the sofas. 

He turned away and started to make coffee. Another good five to seven minutes passed until two short, hard knocks were heard.
Up until then no one had spoken a single word, the tension palpable. 

A few looked ashamed, not daring to look up, others having a look of fear mixed with anxiety in their eyes. 
One of the younger ones was wringing her hands in every direction. 

Sungyeol silently made his way in two quick strides to the door, opening it gracefully until it knocked the smaller doctor into the face.  
For a split second, the corner of Sungyeols mouth lifted in amusement though it disappeared just as fast as it had appeared. He stepped aside and let Hoya in, who had his white coat in his hand, revealing his outfit. 
Black tie, white button up shirt, sleeves rolled up and black fitting trousers.
As he stepped inside, he pulled his white coat on, smoothing his amused face into a blank, expressionless mask again. 

Sungyeol filled him in with what happened and why he had called him in.
The second Sungyeol had started talking, Hoyas expressionless mask turned into one of anger and disbelieve. 

Sungyeol slammed the file he had picked up from his desk again onto the glass table between the sofas, making the occupants flinch. 

He rubbed his temples, before crossing them back in front of his chest. 
Hoya had his lips pursed as Sungyeol offered him coffee, which he had gladly accepted.

“This is inexplicable. Do you know how many problems you gave me with this, not to speak with Dr. Lee? Do you think the relatives of the patient will hold you nurses or students responsible if something's missing or not done correctly even if it was you who did wrong in the first place? No you won't, because the only one held responsible will be Dr. Lee since he's the leading doctor in Mrs. Oh's therapy. Will you go up to the investigators and tell them that it was solely your fault that the documents are not written down correctly?” 
Hoya waited for them to speak up,  to answer but none of them did though some of the staff's faces were clearly answer enough. 
“I thought so. Because you would rather throw a young, successful doctor under the bus for your mistakes to save yourselves.”

Hoya took a big gulp of his coffee.
“Do you know what will happen? If something should happen to Mrs. Oh? If the relatives decide to sue us” at this a few heads raised their heads and looked at the young chief physician with disbelieving eyes. “Don't give me that look, it happened many times. Weren't you told about that in your schooling?”

Finally one of them, the young nurse who had wrung his hands uncomfortably, spoke up. “Of course we did” his voice was laced with a 'who do you think we are' tone. “But they were exaggerating it, with prison and stuff like that.” 

Sungyeols face melted into one of shock and Hoya let out a disbelieving sound. 
“You think they were joking? Your license as a doctor will be revoked, you will probably end up in jail for manslaughter and, even worse, with your license revoked you have no chance to work in the medical field ever again. You literally play with Doctor Lee's future and I can't believe that any of you have the gut to tell us, to tell Doctor Lee that he's exaggerating with this issue.”  Hoyas voice was dangerously calm, though his anger was clearly radiating off him, from his posture to his facial expression. 

“And that's not the only thing I'm angry with.” Sungyeol spoke up for the first time after he had filled Hoya in.
He had already emptied his mug and put it onto his table.
Right this moment, Sungyeol had a dangerous look on his face, his arms crossed and foot tapping impatiently, his fingers following the rhythm on his biceps.

Hoya had never seen Sungyeol this angry, though the younger clearly had every right to. 
“There's more?” Hoya asked him in a monotonous voice.

Sungyeol snorted. 
“Yeah. And I don't know what's worse. You, assistance doctor Ahn. Open the file to page 12.” 
Sungyeol gave a short nod to the file and the addressed doctor did so, opening the file and searching for the said page. 

“Read out what the notes say about the position the patient has to lay in.” 
Sungyeol digged his nails into his biceps.

The young doctor cleared . “Patients bed has to be positioned in an angle of 30 to 45 degrees.” the young assistance doctors voice got smaller at the last part.

Hoya stared first at the addressed doctor, then at Sungyeol.
“She has increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure and let me guess, they didn't lair her the way they should.” 

Sungyeol stood silently there, staring the freshly graduated doctor down. No answer was answer enough for Hoya and he exploded a second time within an hour today.

“I can't believe any of you. Not only did you endanger Doctor Lee's future, but also put a great risk at Mrs. Oh's health and possible recovery! This will not go unpunished by. As of now, you all are not allowed to return to work until I cleared this with employee organization. And when you're back, you are no longer allowed to work on your own and certainly not on any ICU patients. You might as well start from the beginning with IMC cases.” 

Series of small protest went up but quickly died out at the chief physicians next words. “You should be glad that I did not request a change of your station. The next mistake you make though, be it small or not, will result in your exclusion of this station and it will be put into your curriculum vitae. Understood?” 

There was a synced nodding from everyone. 
A few minutes passed in tension laced silence until Sungyeol broke it.
“Now get the hell out of my office.” It came out harsher than intended but he couldn't care less. The graduates didn't need to be told twice, scrambling and running off to the nurse lounge. 

Only the older nurses and doctors stayed back, catching the eyes of the chief physician and younger doctor. 
“I'm sorry for slacking off. It won't happen again.” and with that said, they left as well. 

As soon as the door clicked silently shut, Sungyeol kicked his armchair in frustration. 
Hoya took a seat on the previously occupied sofa, putting his arms onto his legs and dropping his head into his hands. 

Sungyeol followed him suit, dropping into the armchair and throwing his head back onto the armrest, his long legs sprawled out away from his body. Sungyeol was nearly lying in the armchair. He sighed heavily, rubbing his face. 

The silence was heavy. 
“You know” Hoya started, hold his head in his hands, arms still propped up on his legs. “You still owe me lunch and I think it is time for you to repay me.” 

Ignoring the incredulous look Sungyeol was throwing him, Hoya stood up and made his way to the door. 
When Sungyeol didn't move, Hoya spoke up again.
“Come on now, Lee. The food won't pay for itself.” 

This earned Hoya another dirty glare from Sungyeol, though he seemed to comply, Hoya noted. 
Soon enough, the two doctors  were standing in line in a rather small restaurant close to the hospital. 

The food in the Mensa too unreasonable to be eaten, Sungyeol had said. 
If Sungyeol was still shaken by the lacking documents, he certainly didn't show it. He went back to his distant self around Hoya, which the latter didn't like at all. Though he never would admit it.

The silence was dragging on, with Hoya eyeing the menu and Sungyeol leaning forward to examine the drinks they were offering, his hands in the pockets of his jeans. Which were clinging tightly onto Sungyeols legs, making them look even longer. 

Sungyeol had ordered a plate of salad, a soup and had decided they should have table barbecue. If they had an hour off, they might as well spend it on eating properly he said. He didn't give Hoya a chance to protest, his argument being “I'm paying so shut up and eat”.

And then Sungyeol had started laughing loudly when he heard Hoya ask for a purple straw instead of a yellow one, though his laughter was drowned out by Hoya's even louder laugh when Sungyeol picked up his pink straw. 
Both were snickering when they sat down with their drinks, still amused about each others straw color choices. 

Sungyeols soup arrived first and without even waiting for Hoyas meal to arrive, he started to eat it loudly and had it finished when the waitress arrived with Hoyas plate.
Hoya had watched him, amusement twinkling in his eyes. 

He didn't wait too long though, starting to eat his meal as soon as it arrived as well. By the time he had finished, Sungyeol had already devoured his salad. 

They at first only talked about the weather but then Sungyeol questioned him about his studies, how he got to be the chief physician at such a young age, questions like that. 

Hoya had willingly answered him as much as he could, from how hard he had studied and worked on his accent since he was from Busan and not everyone had understood him to how he literally worked 21 hours a day and that 7 days a week. Hoya told him how he practically had lived in the hospital, that his colleagues used to joke about the spare sleeping room to be his and that he should think of paying rent to the hospital since he was occupying it pretty much more than everyone else. 

Sungyeol laughed at that, saying he could totally imagine Hoya behaving like that.
Hoya had pretended to be offended by it, couldn't stop himself from laughing along when Sungyeol had let out a loud laugh, giving him that gummy smile. 

A warmth spread in Hoyas chest as they fell back silent again, this time it wasn't awkward. It was, dare he to say, a content silence. 
They only waited a few minutes until a new waitress, seemingly bored by her job, brought the barbecue grill and meat to the table and set it up. 

With a monotone “Enjoy your meal, Sir, Sir” she had stalked off again. 
Sungyeol started to grill the meat, while Hoya started talking about this and that, ending up at work issues again. 

“You said the biopsy results were back. And you said she has to be laid in around 30 to 45 degrees. They didn't though, so do you think there's already damage done?”
Hoya was looking out of the window but looked back in time to catch Sungyeol looking up from the meat for second before directing his gaze back to it.

He put the throughout grilled meat onto Hoyas plate while answering.
“I guess so. The pressure was really high the last time I lessened it. And seeing how they went with the paperwork, I can assume they didn't even think of punctuating it again.” He shook his head slightly, a few strands falling out of his pony tail. 
Sungyeol put the next meat onto his plate and started to nib on it. 
“You see, the problem is that her brain is already swelling due to the liver failure. And god knows how long they laid her wrong.” Sungyeol put his chopsticks down and brought his hands to his face, rubbing it slowly. When he pulled them back, he suddenly looked a lot more tired than before. 

“You see, it's so unfair. I've been working so hard on stabilizing her and then some freshly graduated assistance doctors think they know better than me and change the routines and instructions. And do you know what their reason was? Because the book said so.” 
Hoya and Sungyeol let out a short snort at the same time, though a bit of meat went flying across the table onto Sungyeols plate from Hoyas mouth.

Sungyeol looked at him grossed out for a second before he flicked it back onto Hoyas plate, grinning. 

“The problem with the new doctors is this. They think they're better than others because they get to start at the ICU instead of ENT department. They think they're better than you and me but I'd rather keep you than get 20 new doctors.”
Hoya tapped his lips with his chopstick after he finished his little rant. 

Sungyeol just looked at him for a second longer and put a few pieces of meat onto Hoyas plate. 
“Here. You earned yourself some treats.” Hoya snorted. Sungyeol grinned his gummy smile again, before taking the last few bits of meat for himself. 

Both their beepers went off loudly the second they set their feet out of the restaurant. 
Sungyeol hived a deep sigh looking up at the sky for a minute or so before slowly heading back, Hoya trailing next to him.

“Let's see what their emergency is, shall we?” Sungyeol mumbled, although more to himself.
And with that they quickened their pace, dragging themselves up the stairs as fast as they could. 

The station was a mess, to say the least. 
Every available nurse was running towards the same room, doctors following suit. 
Sungyeol prayed to heaven that it was worth him running up the stairs.

Both doctors went into the room where the alarm was set off. 
It was the soccer players room. 

What in heavens name could they have done wrong with a broken bone. 
And then Sungyeol saw it, the male was lying on the floor screaming in pain because a nursing student had apparently let go of him too early. Leading to the patient to fall down onto his broken foot with all his weight, probably crushing his already broken bone. 

His friend and colleague was kneeling next to him, torn between yelling at the nurse and calming his friend down.

Hoya sighed and turned the alarm off, urging the others to leave except the nurse at fault and the nurse who had been responsible for the student. Sungyeol pressed a gauze pad onto the now bleeding arm, ordering the patients friend to press hard onto the gauze pad.

Sungyeol went out to grab some painkillers in liquid form and another new IV needle, after all it was ripped out his arm all the while when he had fallen.

When he came back, Hoya had already lifted Myungsoo back onto the bed, his leg carefully propped up. The young man had angry tears rolling down his face, whilst his friend, was it Sungjong? Sungyeol tried to remember, stood with his arms crossed, in a stiff posture staring down the nurses. 

Sungyeol went to check the patients arm.
“Mr. Kim, how much does it hurt?” 
“What do you think? I fell onto my broken foot, of course it hurts like hell!” the answer came out as a hiss, mixed with pain. 
“I am certainly aware of that, but I was referring to your arm. I have something against the pain of your foot though.” Sungyeol tried, tried his best to stay calm and rational because after all, it wasn't Mr. Kim's fault for getting hurt all over and he certainly had no fault regarding his other problems. 

There was a moment of silence, when he spoke up, shame evident on his face and voice.
“Oh. Yeah. My arm. Uh, my arm is fine, but my foot..”
Sungyeol nodded.

He passed the new IV to Hoya, who had already pulled on his disposable gloves. 
Myungsoo looked between the doctors anxiously, back and forth before glancing at his friend and looking back to Hoya.

“I'll now have to find a vein to put the IV back in. Otherwise we can't give you the needed painkillers Mr. Kim” Hoya explained in a kind and soft voice, remembering the last time where the patient nearly had punched him.

Mr. Kim just nodded, although reluctantly. Apparently the need to shut out the pain was bigger than fighting the doctor about his fear of needles.
Within seconds, the new IV was laid and the painkillers were injected. 

“Sungyeol, go order a new MRI and X-ray. I'll take care of the nurses and talk to them. Get back to me with the appointments.” 
Sungyeol just nodded and stalked towards the nurse lounge, where he saw doctor Ahn lurking around the entry. 

What she still was doing here was a mystery to Sungyeol. He thought Hoya had been clear with his instructions. 
Sungyeol didn't want to bother with them anymore though, he had to get this MRI and X-Ray appointment done. 

As soon as Sungyeol entered the nurse lounge, conversations came to a halt and everyone's eyes were on him. 
He saw his best friend giving him a worried look. 

Sungyeol just turned around.
“Oh, don't be bothered with me, I'm just going to work.” With that, the conversations went back on, as if they never had been interrupted. 
He grabbed the phone and dialed the radiology, silently explaining the situation and that it was an emergency. 


Sungyeol went into the office of Hoya without knocking, he already had enough of today yet he wasn't even halfway done with his shift.
Said doctor was currently lecturing the nurse about how she shouldn't have left the nursing student alone with the patient and that she's responsible for her. 

Sungyeol just stood there, waited a few more seconds before he just slapped the appointments he had scribbled earlier onto a small parchment onto the table and left without another word, closing the door with a rather loud click.

Hoya just stared at the closed door with a frown on his face for a few seconds before continuing his lecture.


Word count: ~3.6k