Chapter 1

Silent Warriors

Warning. Cuss words ahead! ^-^



„Mister Lee, you have to draw blood from the patient. Make sure that that you get everything checked. The results have to be here by this afternoon, so we can start the needed therapy.“

A slightly small, sturdy man in a white gown rather too big for him said in a stern voice. Eyebrows ceased with a hard look on his face. He was holding a clipboard, jotting down notes after notes.

The addressed man, who was quite taller than the doctor in front of him, didn't say anything as he jotted down everything.

„Mister Lee, did you not hear me?“ There was a thick layer of authority in the doctors voice.
The taller man glanced up from his clipboard, lips pressed in a firm line. He was glancing down due the height difference. 

„Yes Doctor Lee, I understood. I will get the results by this afternoon.“ He said, trying not to sound irritated.

Why did this doctor even abuse his power over him? Was it because he is the head of the department at such a young age? 
Sungyeol really didn't know. 

„Oh and Mister Lee.“ The said man had a really hard time not to roll his eyes and throw his clipboard at his boss. He really didn't need to get onto the man’s bad side. He needed to be promoted after all, didn't he? 

A tantrum would have the opposite effect.

He was waiting for the young doctor to continue his sentence. 
It seemed like he wouldn't continue though, so Sungyeol gritted out a “Yes doctor Lee?“ , trying to hide his annoyance, and holding back from biting back a snarky comment.

„You also have to check up on Mrs. Kim and Mr. Oh. Please don't forget to look at the results of the MRI of Mr. Son as well. We're also getting a new patient, a soccer star, so make sure to welcome him warmly. After all, we have a reputation to preserve don't we?“ 

A sweet smile spread across his face, wiping that obnoxious smirk,which he had on all the time, off. 
Sungyeol had to be honest with himself, the doctor was quite handsome. Sharp, defined jawline, round, button like brown eyes, long lashes and well-formed lips. Not thick but still well-formed. The doctor was surely working out a lot, seeing how his gown was literally hugging all his arm muscles, showing off his manly body.

Lee Howon, Head of Department, read the name tag.  

„Yes doctor Lee, will do.“ Sungyeol said.
Take deep breaths, Lee Sungyeol. In and out. In and out. 
Do not explode. Do not explode.

„Good.“ the doctor turned away and started walking towards the next patient, looking at his clipboard, before he halted.
„Oh, and Sungyeol, tell Dongwoo to come by my office before the second medical round, yeah? We still have to discuss something before we start.“ 

Sungyeol was trying really hard not to jump at the smaller man’s throat right there. 
The doctor hadn't even bothered to turn around and look into his eyes while he was requesting such a ridiculous task. 
Before he could say anything, the doctor had disappeared into the patient’s room, leaving a glaring Sungyeol behind.
He turned away, looking at the tasks he had jotted down.

He heaved a deep sigh and went to find Woohyun.

„Woohyun, I'm telling you! Someday I'll jump his throat! He loaded me with so many patients, as if here aren't any other doctors! Do you see these blood vials?! They have to be done by this afternoon! As in the results have to be out in-“ Sungyeol halted for a second to take a look at his watch „the results have to be out in 3 hours! Three. Hours! How does he expect me to do that?! Do I go into the laboratory and force them to do it first?! I mean-“

Woohyun, a nurse and Sungyeols' closest friend, was used to outbursts like this coming from Sungyeol. It happened every day. Every single day.
He had stopped listening a few minutes ago. 
„Yah, Nam Woohyun! Are you even listening?!“ 
The nurse looked up at the tall male, dead into the eyes. „No, I'm not, Sungyeol.“

Sungyeol stopped in his tracks, clutching the clipboard tightly to his chest, his mouth hanging open a little. 
„Why are you mean to me too? As if that head of a doctor wasn't rude enough to me!“

Woohyun heaved out a sigh. „Come on Sungyeol, you wanted this blood to be done quickly right? Give it to me, I'll get the results within an hour for you.“

Sungyeol eyed the nurse skeptically. 
„How can you get the results out that fast?“
„It's my secret,“ Woohyun winked and grabbed the samples out of the tall boy’s slender hands.

Sungyeol huffed out air, blowing up his hair that had fallen onto his eyes.
He really needed to cut his hair. 
„Oh, and Woohyun. Did you see Dongwoo? I need to tell him something.“
„He's in the nurses lounge, drinking some coffee or so.“

And without even listening to the end of Woohyun’s sentence, Sungyeol had scurried off to annoy Dongwoo. That poor soul couldn't even fling Sungyeol off like Woohyun did, he was just too nice.

Woohyun, in fact, was right.
Dongwoo was sitting in one of the comfy chairs, sipping a hot beverage. 

„Dongwoo,“ Sungyeol called out.
The tiny man looked up, a big smile forming on his lips. 
„Yes doctor Lee?“ he stressed on the word doctor. 
Sungyeol could feel an embarrassing blush creep on his pale cheeks.

„Dongwoo, I told you not to call me like that when we're alone..“ 
A frustrated sound left his mouth.

„Okay, okay. What’s up, Yeol?“
Dongwoo took a big gulp of his drink.

„Doctor Lee wants to see you before the second round starts. Like in his office. Apparently some stuff to discuss before hand?“ Sungyeol said while pulling out his hair tie, making his long hair fall down onto his shoulder messily.

„Okay, understood.“ 
And he continued drinking his drink in silence.

Sungyeol ruffled his hair, before tying it up into a low pony tail again, trying to tuck away all the few strands of hair that seemed to fall out of his grip.

„Do you want coffee? There's some left.“
„I would love to, you probably know that already, but...“
He trailed off, no need to finish his sentence.

Dongwoo let out a loud laugh. „He overloaded you again, didn't he?“
„Yes he did, and I'm so annoyed honestly. I should get going.“
„I will make you coffee when you're done.“ Dongwoo offered with a kind smile and Sungyeol was glad that someone like Dongwoo existed. 

He seemed to be truly blessed with him. He was too nice and pure, such an angel.
Sungyeol gave Dongwoo a big, thankful smile and left to get his tasks done before the doctor came to scold his in front of everyone else.

Two hours had passed, and he still couldn't catch Woohyun to ask him about the samples. 
He was currently looking at the MRI results of Mr. Son.

It didn't look too good for the patient. Sungyeol had suspected bone cancer after he carefully had examined the patient multiple times, he sent the patient more than five times to get X-rays done.
Maybe Sungyeol didn't want to believe the results of the X-rays, maybe that's why he had sent the patient to them so often. And maybe that's why he had also sent him to the MRI and CT, to make sure he hadn't seen it wrong. 

And the results showed it, showed that he was right. He now had to check if it was malicious or not.
He would have to send the patient away again.
But Sungyeol couldn't do this alone, he needed Woohyun or Dongwoo with him. 

He still wasn't used to telling the patients the news. Especially when it came to bad news. 
Sungyeol hated how their faces showed so many emotions within seconds. Disbelief, which seemed to appear with all patients at first, followed by shock and anger. And the last stadium would be sadness, where they and their loved ones would break out into tears.

He didn't like seeing the patients and families faces twist in agony, realizing that their loved ones had no chance to survive, that they had to leave this planet way too soon.

Sungyeol was about to call Woohyun when Doctor Lee strode towards him. He was wearing that annoying, cocky smirk, like he usually did, on his face. He seemed upset.
„Mister Lee, what do you think are you doing? You have been, literally standing here for a good ten minutes, staring at your patient's chart and not moving one inch.“ 
Doctor Lee had crossed his muscular arms, waiting for an answer.

Sungyeol honestly didn't know how to reply. 
„I was just..trying to see if I misinterpreted the files.“ Sungyeol smoothly lied himself out, at least he thought he did.
Doctor Lee stretched out his arm, taking the chart out of his hand, annoyance clearly showing.
He opened the file while he rolled his eyes.

Doctor Lee's eyes flew over the pages multiple times in just a few seconds.
„You send the patient five times to an X-ray for the same spot. Twice to an MRI and once to CT now. Honestly, what did you think you were doing? It would have been another story if you did get it checked because you couldn't find anything, but they always ended up with the same results didn't they? Here,“  Doctor Lee pointed, annoyed, at the result of the first X-ray, and then pointing at the result following the next one. „But it seems like you weren't satisfied, so you sent the patient twice into an MRI.“ He pointed at the first result, flipped the page too loudly for Sungyeol’s liking and pointed at the second MRI result.
„It's the same Mister Lee. Why aren't you in there with the patient, consulting him on how he will be treated or what the next step is? Instead, you're here, staring onto the papers as if the results will magically change.“ 

Sungyeol didn't say anything. What could he possibly say to defend his actions? 
After all, he just made the patient take the same tests multiple times just to confirm himself that it was sadly the truth.

Sungyeol didn't answer, which frustrated the young Doctor even more.
„Oh my god Lee Sungyeol. You're a goddamned doctor, you're supposed to be able to tell patients good, but also bad news!“ 
Hoya flipped the chart close, grabbing the assistant doctor’s arm and pulled him roughly to the patients room. 

Doctor Lee knocked twice before going in. Upon entering the room, Sungyeol felt like there was a new Doctor standing in front of him. 
A charming smile graced the young doctor’s lips, eyes full with warmth and eyebrows pulled up in a beautiful arch, his face showed slight worry as he flipped open the patient's chart again.

„Mr. Son, how are you feeling today?“
Mr. Son vaguely answered with „good, apart from being in pain and the swollen leg“.

Doctor Lee asked the routine questions.
„I don't intend to sound rude, Doctor Lee, but how come you are checking up on me today?“ 
Mr. Son was right.

Hoya only checked up on private insured or really well known patients like Idols or Athletes. 
For the first time Sungyeol saw the boss caught off guard, even if it was for a split second. 

„Ah, Mr. Son, Mister Lee,“ he glanced at Sungyeol, „wasn't sure how to continue your treatment, so he asked me to kindly help out. Which I, of course, couldn't deny.“ 
A kind, warm smile spread out on his face again, a great contrast to his serious working face he had on just minutes ago.

Sungyeol hadn't even realized that Hoya had just, kind of, humiliated him in front of his patient. 
That is, until Mr. Son said „Ah, I guess it was too hard for such a young doctor to handle it, right Doctor Lee?“ The patient had settled his attention to the intern, giving him an understanding smile, while Hoya was wearing that unbearable smirk again. 

„The problem is, Mr. Son, that we suspect your disease is bone cancer. That would explain your swollen joints and the unbearable pain you have to endure. The results of the X-rays, MRIs and CTs confirmed our suspicions. We will have to send you to get a biopsy done, to see which treatment will be the best for you. Of course the biopsy will be done with you being fully under anesthesia. It will take a few days for the results to come back to us, but we will make sure to ease your pain as much as we can.“ 

Sungyeol watched the man’s face carefully, looking for signs of devastation. At first, the patient seemed unreadable, but then his indifferent expression turned into one of shock as Doctor Lee went on of what was suspected. Then it molded into worry, the shock still in his eyes.
But he didn't break down like all his other patients did.

Mr. Son seemed rather calm, waiting for Doctor Lee to finish talking.
He nodded now and then, to show he was listening and taking it all in.

After talking it through with the patient, he bid goodbye, offering a small bow. 
Sungyeol followed his movements and they both left the room, Hoya closing the door behind him silently.

He stretched his arm out, holding the chart out to Sungyeol. Who, by the way, was still dumbstruck at how the young Boss had handled the situation so well without making the patient or himself cry. 
Sungyeol hadn't even realized that Hoya was holding the chart out, until the latter cleared his throat in that authoritive way. 

Sungyeol snapped out of his thoughts, grabbed the chart and mumbled a barely audible „Thank you.“
„You owe me lunch.“ the sturdy man said, as he turned around and left just like that.

„What a little , being so nice to the patients....“ Sungyeol hissed to himself while making his way to the nurse’s lounge. 

While he was safely tucking the chart away, he let his thoughts wander back to the room. On how certain Hoya had acted. 
Sungyeol slightly cocked his head to the side, deep in thoughts as he pulled out the next chart. 

Doctor Lee had seemed so calm. He was spreading a comforting, warm aura while he was talking to the patients. The exact opposite of Sungyeol, who had a hard time trying to stay rational and calm, yet understanding at the same time.

Sungyeol was still bent over at the shelf where all of the patient charts were stored chronologically according to last names. Even though he already had the chart he needed, he looked for the file of the new patient.
He assumed, that the athlete was already admitted to the orthopedics station. Sungyeol couldn't find any chart filed under the name 'Kim Myungsoo' , so he asked the nurse who was currently furiously typing away on the computer some of the morning results of a patient, who was soon to be released. 

The nurse just briefly looked up from the computer, giving a curt and short answer. 
Apparently the patient still wasn't admitted yet. 

Sungyeol swiftly straightened up again, shaking his head slightly in confusion.
Why would a patient, none the less an athlete, straightly be admitted into the ICU?
Before he could even continue to think about it, a very stressed Nam Woohyun came in. 
„Ya, Lee Sungyeol!“ 
Woohyun was now standing in front of him. The older male was shorter than him, like most of his colleagues were, but he was still scary, really scary, when he was angry or something didn't go the way he had planned it to go. 

It was such a stark contrast to how Woohyun usually behaved.
The nurse was pinching his arm now, making the taller boy slightly hunch down due to the pain. 
„Damn Hyun, stop pinching me- ow- this hard- Ow! God ing damn it Nam Woohyun! What's your damn problem?!“ Sungyeol seethed it out through his teeth, tears slowly welling up in his eyes. 

Sungyeol knew there would be a huge, purple bruise by the end of the day. He skin was way too sensitive anyway. 

„Do you know how long I've been trying to catch you now?! I had to dump half of my work onto Dongwoo!“ Woohyun looked angry.
Sungyeol couldn't tell if it was because he felt bad for overworking Dongwoo, or if it was because he was running around trying to find Sungyeol.

„Well I'm sorry that I was working-“ before Sungyeol could even finish his sentence, Woohyun had twisted the spot he was pinching just a bit, which was already enough to make Sungyeol whimper in agony again. 

„Oh no Mister! I'm not even halfway done!“ Woohyun snorted. „As if it wasn't bad enough that I spent so much time, even my break, on finding you, I also got scolded by Doctor Lee!“
Woohyun sounded angry; he had never seen the nurse so worked up about something trivial like getting scolded by the boss.

In fact, he was just as used to it as Sungyeol was.
„He humiliated me in front of all the other nurses and made sure to still come off as the nice boss! I was supposed to have finished creating the chart for the new patients two hours ago! I was supposed to help Mr. Kim get dressed up for his physiotherapy! He even scolded Dongwoo hyung in front of everyone else!“ and Sungyeol didn't even listen to his rant anymore. 

He just wished that Woohyun would let go of his skin. 
Sungyeol knew it would look really ugly against his pale complexion tomorrow. 

„I'm sorry, okay Woohyun hyung? I really am. I know you have got a lot to do. But do you have the blood results? I really need them now.” Sungyeol said, while slowly pulling Woohyun’s hand away from his hand, safely letting it hang down at Woohyun’s side.

„I do! Never ask me to get the results for you again!“ Woohyun overdramatically said, pushing the results into Sungyeol’s free hand.
The occupied hand was rubbing the sore spot, where Woohyun had pinched mercilessly. 

„What do they say? Did you look at them?“ 
„God damn it, Sungyeol, you're the doctor not me.“ Woohyun mutters under his breath while getting to creating new charts for patients who were supposed to be admitted today or tomorrow.

Sungyeol overflew the pages quickly, noting every so tiny change of the black printed numbers and abbreviations.
Nothing seemed out of the average realms on the first look.

Sungyeol had totally forgotten the chart he was holding in his hand. 
He sat down onto an available chair, putting the chart onto the table and laying out the results in front of him. 

He pulled out a pen from his gown, looking for a vacant paper. 
Sungyeol quickly stood up, got some paper from the nurse table, and sat down again.

Woohyun silently watched him while he performed the rest of his tasks. 
Sungyeol got immersed into the weird abbreviations and numbers only doctors, nurses and laboratories could understand. 
His eyebrows were furrowed, he was nibbling the pen he just had taken out, eyes fixed onto the laboratory results. 

Woohyun had to be honest, even if Sungyeol was loud and annoying; he was actually, apart from being handsome, really funny and deep down a good guy who was actually too naive to understand the adult world yet.
And yet here he was, in a white doctor’s gown with his own name tag. He already had his doctor’s title as well. Sungyeol had graduated really early the medical college with top notch grades. 

Sungyeol reminded him of Doctor Lee. 
Doctor Lee also graduated the medical college at a very young age. Way too young for doctors. 

He was talented though, had a feeling for how to act around the patients, how to make decisions, how to start treatments and how to cure patients. 

Doctor Lee was actually younger than Woohyun was, and yet, Doctor Lee was the head of the department, the boss of every staff on this station.

Woohyun was putting the last page into the patients chart. 
He carefully closed the paper folder, to avoid any crinkles or rifts.
Then he pulled out of his shirt's pocket a black pen, writing the name of his patient down in neat handwriting.

Once he put his pen back into his pocket, Woohyun stared for a good five minutes at the name of the patient.
Kim Myungsoo.. he knew that name from somewhere. He just couldn't put his finger on it. 

Woohyun shook his head once before putting the now finished and ready to use charts into the shelf. Of course, sorted by their last name.

Doctor Lee didn't like it when things were messy. He preferred it the neat and perfect way. 

„Hey doc, do you want some coffee?“ 
It was a stupid question, honestly. Sungyeol would never say no to coffee, especially not now since that poor kid was awake for 40 hours straight. No wonder he was so whiny. 

„Mhhmm.“ was the only answer he got, the young doctor was too engrossed into the papers he was currently evaluating.

„Oh my god! I'm so stupid!“ Not even three minutes had passed before Sungyeol had jumped up, his pen flying down onto the floor, rolling a little bit before staying still.

Woohyun could hear Sungyeol flipping rapidly through the chart of the patient, whose name Woohyun actually forgot. 

Before Sungyeol even had time to react, the alarm went off loudly throughout the whole station.

Sungyeol didn't even register that he had dropped the pen, which was still laying in front of the shelf, or the chart. Woohyun hadn't even registered that he still had the coffee spoon in hand.

Sure they had the alarm go off at least once a day but that often was on accident because one of the nursing students forgot to turn off the bell the patient had pressed.
Even though it often ended out to be a false alarm, they still had to run and see where it came from, why it was ringing.

And because of Sungyeol’s exclamation right before, the shock which was evident on Sungyeol’s face, and how the doctor had even darted out without a second thought, made Woohyun’s insides churn. 

Sure they were partly an ICU, but he was mostly working in the IMC unit. He hardly saw the patients Sungyeol had to see every day in and out.
Those, who had nearly no hope left to survive.

Times like this made Woohyun wonder how Sungyeol managed to live through each day. 

Without a second thought Woohyun had ran out behind Sungyeol, following the latter into the secluded ICU part.

Woohyun and Sungyeol were one of the first to arrive, and the scene in front of them wasn't very pleasant.

Dongwoo was trying to reanimate the patient.
She had drifted off into a comatose condition. Sungyeol quickly went to the opposite side of the bed where Dongwoo was standing.

Sungyeol ordered Woohyun and other nurses to get antibiotic and other needed medical equipment to stabilize the patient.

While the nurse and young doctor tried to stabilize the patient, who was dangerously close to death, the ordered equipment arrived.
Sungyeol thought about how fast they were actually, considering that these things barely happened on their station anymore.

Sungyeol made room for Woohyun to take over his place and help out Dongwoo with the reanimation. 
The beeping of the machines in the room were suddenly a tad bit too loud for everyone’s liking.

Sungyeol was quickly preparing multiple infusions. 
He left the other equipment for the other nurses to set up. 

Sungyeol didn't have time to lose. He called one of the nurses to him, made him hold the bottles of the infusions and looked for possible veins where he could inject the small needle. A bitter thought crossed his mind.

How lucky he was under these circumstances. The patient seemed to have had a huge surgery behind them, seeing the central venous catheter.

He inducted the three antibiotics into the CVC and proceeded to go back next to Woohyun, who was now checking the vital signs. 
The nurse who was holding the infusions now put them up onto the post.
He was quite new and looked lost.

„Go get Doctor Lee! Fast! Even if he's currently out of the station. Find him fast!“ That was Dongwoo, his voice strained with worry.
The nurse left to find Hoya. 

„Oh my god can't we turn that alarm off?!“ Sungyeol muttered.
He knew better though, they couldn't yet.
He was checking for her pulse. 

Dongwoo was controlling her breathing, while Woohyun was looking out for her vital signs.

„I think her liver is failing.“ Woohyun said.
Sungyeol quickly glanced over to Woohyun but didn't say more. 

After another five minutes, the antibiotic infusions seemed to start their effect on the patient, they had stabilized her. Sungyeol knew it wasn't enough though.

Another five minutes later, while Sungyeol was writing everything that happened down into the patients file, and while Dongwoo and Woohyun started to slowly put the equipment together, one of the nurses dropped the question
 „How did you know that the antibiotics would ease the situation for now?“
Sungyeol didn't know who of the both asked him but he answered anyway, distraught by his notes. „I suppose the patient has Sepsis, after seeing the blood results my suspicions got confirmed and then the alarm went off.“ 

He shuddered at the thought of hearing that alarm ever again.
Sungyeol had turned the alarm off right away, after they had stabilized the patient for the moment.

It was silent again, only the steady beeping of the machines the poor woman was hooked up too sounding through the room, with the occasional noise from the cleaning nurses. 

Right then, when Woohyun had opened his mouth to say something because he found the heavy silence too hard to endure, Hoya appeared with a nurse right after him.

The doctor hadn't even gotten his gown on. It seemed like he was on his break.
„What happened Mister Lee?“ the head of the department demanded to know. 
„Go get me my notepad please.“ With that he sent the youngest nurse away again.

Sungyeol paused his note taking and looked up, rather down, blinking twice before filling the doctor in. He also told him about the suspected diagnosis and what he had given the patient to steady her for now, and what he wanted to do as the next step.

Doctor Lee went up to sterilize his hands, and while rubbing the chemical substance onto his hands he made his way to the patient.
Woohyun made room for him and moved to the end of the bed. Waiting for what the doctor would say.

It's not like Woohyun didn't trust Sungyeol in this. It was more or less because he knew Sungyeol wasn't confident in what he was doing, even if people thought different. 

He knew Sungyeol too well, as that he would buy his put up confidence. Even a few minutes earlier, where he had confidently ordered the nurses around to bring him the stuff he needed.

Not only Woohyun watched the Doctor, but so did Dongwoo, who had returned from pushing the devices out of the room and Sungyeol himself.

Doctor Lee was fussing over the patient a few times, writing his own little notes down. 
His face showed how hard he was concentrating.
The thick eyebrows furrowed, crinkling up the skin between them with wrinkles, mouth pulled down into a frown and his shoulders tense. 
He had the notepad in one hand, the pen in the other. His arms were crossed.

Doctor Lee broke the silence. 
„You did a good job by stabilizing her.“ 
None of the three knew that they were holding in their breaths until they actually let them out silently. Relief washing over them.

„But you can't leave it like this, Mister Lee, you said you'd first try to do a special antibiotic treatment. Is there a reason why you would risk that?“

Even now, even now when Sungyeol had just gotten praised by him for a moment, when Sungyeol actually saved a patient while Doctor Lee wasn't around, the older male still managed to somehow treat him like a stupid student who was just doing his elective period on this station. His boss was questioning his choice of treatment.

„I figured out, since the patient reacted to the antibiotics really well, that a consecutive therapy of multiple combined antibiotics would help to speed up the recovery of the patient without damaging any other organs.“ 

Dongwoo and Woohyun awkwardly stood next to Sungyeol, their eyes darting back and forth between the two doctors. 
They weren't supposed to stay and listen. 

Doctor Lee could have, should have, pulled Sungyeol aside and talked it through with him like that. 
Not in front of the two nurses, not in front of the students.

„And how did you come to that conclusion? Because the patient reacted to some of the antibiotics slightly positive? So you're willing to risk that the antibiotics won't have the effect you wish them to have? Isn't that a little bit careless?“  Doctor Lee was pressuring him, humiliating him in front of everyone, in front of the students.

„No, sir, I rather thought about combining it with giving the patient red blood cells.“ 
„Did you check from where the sepsis might have started?“

„Not yet, doctor. But I suppose it's an aftermath of the lung infection the patient went through not long before.“
Doctor Lee nodded approvingly.

„Keep an eye on her vital signs.“ He said to rather everyone in the room while writing something down.
„Dongwoo, make sure to tell the next shift everything in detail. They need to know to keep an extra eye on her.“

Dongwoo nodded „I will make sure to do so, Doctor.“ 
And with that, Doctor Lee left.


Word count: 5081.
Please tell me if you find grammatical incorrect sentences or misspelled words! 
I hope you enjoyed it so far!