004

Dr. Death

Danbi yawned, following behind Doha early in the morning.

"What do you mean I have to go to school?" Danbi sighed.

"Did you think you could just snooze around here all day?" Doha looked at her. "Plus, it's Dr.Kim Jong-in's orders to make sure you attend school for as long as you are here."

Danbi sighed and grumbled, following Doha out. 

She watched as all the other kids walked around the house dressed in their tacky school uniforms.

"Don't tell me I have to wear that," Danbi pointed to the red and orange school uniform frilled with laces. 

"It depends on your ability." Doha eyed her and walked outside to his car.

"Where are we going?" Danbi asked as she jumped into the back seat, looking out the window as Doha drove along the suburban driveway. 

"We're going to the Examinations board."

"I've already taken so many tests back in Seoul," she grumbled. "I don't want to take anymore here."

"Don't worry," he laughed. "It's not that kind of test."

     Doha pulled into the parking lot of a modern Victorian building. There were other Victorian buildings lined up side by side aligned by a large black gate that labeled Examination board. 

     Danbi and Doha got off the car and walked into the main building.

     The corridor was quite narrow considering it was a large building; there were portraits of what seemed to be past members of the Education board lined up in order of their retirement with a grotesque statue spacing each picture.

Doha opened the door at the very end of the corridor and allowed Danbi in first. 

     Inside was a large office with tall bookshelves lining either side of the walls and was stuffed with dull colored books and awards. Danbi's eyes fell to the large office desk in front of the large window wall and a tall office chair that faced its back to her.

 

"I've been expecting you," a thin voice came from behind the chair.

The chair spun to reveal a petite old man sitting in the chair that was at least three times his size.

     Doha smiled and walked up to the man, shaking his hand respectfully. Danbi watched as the exchanged a few words of whisper and focused their eyes on Danbi, scanning her up and down. 

"This is Mr.Ki, the Head of the Board of Education here in Duxenville."

Danbi bowed down a little, biting her lips. 

"You look like a very bright student," Mr.Ki chuckled. "I'm sure you'll score fine."

     Mr.Ki rose from his seat and walked toward the bookshelf, running his fingers across a line of books before his index finger rested on a blue dictionary. He wedged the book out halfway and the bookshelf began sliding inwards, opening into a hallway.

"If you'll follow me Ms.Jung," Mr.Ki gestured her into the hallway.

Danbi glanced at Do-ha who was right behind her and he grinned at her, eyeing her to go inside the corridor. 

     The corridor seemed scary; there was only one door at the end of the corridor and light leaked out of the side. With a big breath, Danbi slowly walked into the corridor and Mr.Ki followed behind, shutting the door behind him.

"Where are we going..?" Danbi asked in suspicion as Mr.Ki looked at her with a small laugh. 

"You will see," Mr.Ki said as they reached the end of the corridor. Mr.Ki dipped into his pocket for a key and unlocked the door, pushing it open with his arms. 

To her surprise, it was just a regular school gym with male students playing basketball by the courts. 

"Have a seat," Mr.Ki said as he sat on the bench near the equipment shed and watched the boys play basketball. 

     Danbi side glanced at Mr.Ki in confusion and proceeded to watch the boys play basketball. She recognized some of the boys playing; it was Taehyung, Namjoon, and Jungkook. They were screaming their lungs off for the ball and threw the ball so hard that it made a deafening sound when the boys caught it with their hands.

"PASS THE BALL!" Namjoon kept screaming but the others ignored, playing on their own.

Danbi watched as Namjoon growled in anger and stood still, staring at the ball like he wanted to murder it.

Suddenly, the ball flew out of Taehyung's hand and into his, and he dribbled the ball and continued playing like nothing had happened.

     The boy who had his ball taken away was pissed off and suddenly vanished from his place, making Danbi blink twice. Taehyung suddenly popped out in front of Namjoon and slapped the ball off him, dribbling it to the opposite side. 

"Coach!" Jungkook screamed. "They keep using their powers to play!"

A female coach walked over and blew her whistle, scolding the boys.

"What.. was that?" Danbi stared at Mr.Ki and back at the boys.

     "This school has two types of students. Students like them," Mr.Ki pointed to Namjoon and Taehyung. "And students like him." He pointed to Jungkook who tried to snatch the ball off the other boys purely by blocking them with his body.

"What do you mean students like.. them?"

"Powers."

"What?" Danbi blinked twice and started laughing. "Yeah.. sure."

     "Newly admitted students are given a week to discover their power and at the end of the week, they will be required to present their power to the board to see if it has enough validity for the student to be put in the Special programs class or the class of the regular program."

"Um.." Danbi cringed. "Well I.. don't have powers."

"You will be placed in the regular program's class for your first week and if you do find out that you have a power, you will be transferred to the Special program's class." 

"Um," Danbi raised an eyebrow. "What exactly is the difference of those programs besides the fact that one is for normal people and the other one is for uh... mutants?

Mr.Ki chuckled under his breath and stood up.

"You're a brave young girl," he nodded. "I'm sure you'll do fine." 

     The two walked out of the gymnasium and into the school buildings where students walked back and forth the corridors. The difference between the students with and without powers was prominent; some students were teleporting and flying across the corridors while some were walking and running across the corridor trying not to be late to their classes. 

Danbi gulped as a girl walked right through a wall right in front of her. 

All this new sight was making her feel uncomfortable; very uncomfortable.

Mr.Ki and Danbi stopped in front of a classroom and Mr.Ki opened the door, gesturing for Danbi to walk in. 

The teacher stood at the wooden podium and watched as Danbi walked in, stiff and scared. 

"Our newest addition to the class everyone," the teacher said in a dull voice. "Introduce yourself."

"My name is Jung Danbi," Danbi looked around the class and felt safer; they were all normal people. "I'm from Seoul."

The entire class started murmuring amongst themselves as they stared back and forth at Danbi.

     "You can take a seat next to that boy over there," the teacher pointed at Jungkook and Danbi nodded awkwardly, making her way toward the seat. Everyone seemed to be staring at her with laser eyes and she felt so uncomfortable even though she knew people in here were safer.

She took a seat next to Jungkook who greeted her with a smile.

"Hey again," he grinned.

"Hey," she forced a grin. 

"You don't have to be so scared," Jungkook said in a relaxed tone. "We're not mutants." he laughed.

"Oh.. you heard..?" Danbi laughed awkwardly, embarrassed. More than that, she wanted to know why all these people were staring at her like she committed a murder. 

"It's ok," Jungkook shrugged it off. 

"Why are they all staring at me like I killed someone..?" Danbi whispered to Jungkook.

"Oh," Jungkook lowered his voice. "They're just skeptical because you're in this class for your testing week. They don't know if you have powers or not."

"And so what if I do have powers..?"  

"Uh.." Jungkook bit his lips and eyed Danbi; the entire class was giving her a sour look. "I'll tell you at lunch."

"Mm." Danbi nodded and cleared , slipping out her notebook from her bag.

 

On top of Jinyoung, school was her newest worry.

 

---

     Jong-in sat at his desk, thinking.

He hadn't been able to get a proper night's sleep because Jinyoung was on his mind the whole time.

If he did save Jinyoung and he woke up, was Jong-in really ready to pay for the aftermath? 

".." he murmured under his breath.

He ran his hands across his face and after some hesitation, rose from his seat. 

He opened the bookshelf door and walked into the lab, past all the bodies until he reached Jinyoung's body.

Jinyoung laid peacefully in the water pod; he looked as if he was asleep. 

He took a seat and stared at Jinyoung; the nightmares were messing up his head again. He closed his eyes and leaned back on the chair, thinking. 

 

"Please help me Jong-in!"

Jinyoung wagged in the water, trying his hardest to stay afloat. 

Jong-in and Doha only stared, standing silently in their spot. 

They watched as Jinyoung's face barely stayed afloat and he screeched for his life before he sunk down under.

"Let's go," Jong-in said as he walked away with Doha.

And in his hands was the book for the death cure, soaked.