003

Dr. Death

 

     "Do you have a place to stay?" Jong-in asked as he packed up the first aid kit.

"No," she shrugged. "I only brought enough money for the operation."

     Jong-in sighed and stared at the bag stashed with money. He ped the bag and took out a few bundles, passing it to Dan-bi. The more he looked at this girl, the more sympathetic he felt. In a sense, she had given up everything just to save her brother.

"I suggest you go back to Seoul," he said. "Duxenville's not as safe as you think."

"I'm not leaving my brother here alone," she blurted. "never."

Jong-in sighed at her stubbornness. "I knew you'd say that."

     He walked toward the window with Dan-bi and pointed to the clock tower in the far middle of the town. He hesitated to talk but continued, because he knew silence would probably put this girl in more danger.

"I'm going to take you to the clock tower zone," he said calmly. "That's the safest part of this place, the place where all the other kids like you dwell. You must, I repeat, must, stay within those bounds because anywhere outside those bounds lurks dangerous things."

"What is this, Hogwarts?" she sneered.

"I'm going to take you there now," he said carefully. "You must mark my words."

Dan-bi shrugged as she followed Jong-in to his car and got in the back seat. Jong-in threw a black cloak at her and gestured for her to wear it, looking around to make sure no one had seen them.

"What are these?"

"A cloak as you can see," he blinked twice. "Put it on. You're a freshblood so they'll be out to get you."

Dan-bi had no idea what that meant, but his expression of freshblood intimidated her. She slipped on the cloak and covered her face, peeking out the window as Jong-in drove out to the main highway into the quiet roads. 

 

     After a few minutes, Dan-bi crawled up in her spot as Jong-in drove past a sign that read 5km until Tower clock. He drove into freeway and put on his hat, pressing it down on his face. Dan-bi pressed the cloak further down her face as she looked outside. There were extremely unkempt people sitting out on the streets smoking all kinds of drugs and arguing with each other, some even beating each other up.

There were bits and pieces of dead animal messes all over the roads splattered with blood, some so bad that Dan-bi almost threw up.

She slipped down her seat as she felt the eyes of those people on her through the window and breathed quietly.

"Now you understand what I mean?" Jong-in said quietly as he sped up, driving past those people.

 

     Danbi let out a large breath as Jong-in made a small right turn and entered through a large gate into an area that seemed more elite and organized. She took her cloak off and looked around at the area, her heart assured at the sight of kids like her walking in the sidewalks, talking to each other.

There were elizabethan buildings and houses on either side of the roads as they drove past surrounded with green pastures and evergreen trees that surrounded the curbs of each street. 

"This place is more westernized," Jong-in said out aloud. "It might take some time for you to get used to the place, but I reckon you'll fit in just fine. I fit in just fine when I first got here."

 

     As they drove further into the place, Danbi saw the large clock tower appearing from afar. Dan-bi found herself infatuated with the visuals of the clock tower road. On either side of the freeway stood victorian buildings lit with black lamp shades that were outlined with red poppies. As the sun sank lower in the sky, lights of day draining away, giving way to the velvety color of night, the streets began to light up with wonder and fantasy as if to create a fantasy wonderland.

There was a red phone booth almost every ten lamp shades as they got closer and closer to the clock tower that stood magnificently in the middle of the town.

He pulled up infront of the clock tower and Dan-bi followed after.

He opened the trunk and took out Dan-bi's suitcase, rolling it across the floor as the two walked along the beautiful scenic pathway of the clock tower. 

"This place is really beautiful," Dan-bi gasped as she looked around. 

"I know," he chuckled. "It was designed to be that way."

"Really?"

"This place was originally designed as a safe haven for anyone in danger," Jong-in said as he looked around nostalgically. "But I guess now Duxenville itself has become a dangerous place."

"Everyone says this place is dangerous," Dan-bi asked. "Why is it so.. dangerous?"

"That's a story for next time," Jong-in said as they stopped infront of a large modern elizabethan house painted blue and white. Dan-bi looked to the side as the other houses were aligned side by side, all color coded in the color of the rainbow.

 

     She looked up at the large townhouse infront of her, staring at the windows that were dimly lit. She could hear faint chatter and laughter inside followed by a small clattering of plates and cups. 

Dan-bi watched as a man walked out of the door and greeted Jong-in with a warm hug and turned his attention to Dan-bi.

"So this is the young lady you were talking about?"

He smiled as he shook hands with Dan-bi.

"My name is Park Do-ha," he grinned. "You will be under my care for as long as you are here."

     Dan-bi only smiled awkwardly, eyeing Jong-in who looked at them expressionlessly. Dan-bi and Jong-in followed Do-ha into the large townhouse and through the grand foyer into the living room where a bunch of teenagers who seemed to be around Dan-bi's age sat around the sofa and floor, laughing and talking to each other. 

An abrupt silence wrapped over the room at Dan-bi and Jong-in's appeareance as all the kids murmured and sat on the sofa in an orderly manner.

"Well," Do-ha gestured. "We have a new addition to the family."

"Jung Dan-bi," she nodded awkwardly and shifted toward Jong-in who stood there awkwardly.

     Dan-bi eyed the four teens who stared back at her with a look of fascination and curiosity. There were three guys and two girls - one girl seemed slightly younger than she, and the other one seemed to be her age. She stared at the three guys who looked back at her, murmuring amongst themselves. She felt as if they were gossping about her, but she was used to that.

She had experienced so much of that after her brother's death.

"Jieun, Boa, Taehyung, NamJoon, and Jungkook." Do-ha pointed quickly and grabbed Dan-bi's luggage. "Let me take you to your room."

      Dan-bi followed Do-ha upstairs to a long corridor with doors on each side of the walls all in different colors. She followed Doha to the end of the corridor and stopped infront of the green door, slipping out two sets of keys.

He opened the door and led Dan-bi into the large bedroom, placing her suitcase on the floor.

     Dan-bi looked in awe as she stood beside the bed, staring at the window wall across the bed. Through the window wall was the beautiful scenery of the clock tower zone all in one view with the large clock tower twinkling brightly in the side.

"Sorry your room is the least decorated," Doha shrugged. "The other kids grabbed dibs on the best room."

Dan-bi gave Doha a look of disbelief as she looked around the room that looked as it cost a fortune.

"This is the key for your room, but I have a master key for all the rooms in the house," he passed Danbi a green tinted key. 'Then I'll leave you to get settled~"

 

Doha and Jong-in walked out of the room and walked into Doha's bedroom.

"How are wedding preparations going along?" Doha asked with a smile as he placed a cup of coffee infront of Jong-in. The two sat along the balcony and admired the night city scenery, lost in thoughts.

"So so," Jong-in shrugged. "It's all about the bride, not about the groom."

Doha chuckled and took a sip of his coffee. 

"How did that fight over the wedding dress from last time go," Doha sneered. "You guys still mad?"

"No," Jong-in sighed. "Father-in-law stepped in, it's almost like Ah-young's shield is her father."

'It's still not too late to end run out of the hall on wedding day,"

"Shut up," the two laughed and resorted to their normal tone. 

"What's up with that girl you brought in?" Doha glanced at Jong-in. "It's not like you."

"Do you remember Jung Jin-young?" he placed his cup down. 

"You mean that one who saved your life when we were in Seoul?"

"Yeah," he said quietly. "Danbi is his younger sister."

Doha placed the cup down abruptly and stared at Jong-in with a look of disbelief. 

"She came up to me," he looked down. "asked me to save her brother."

Jong-in watched as Doha's hands began to shake slightly as he tried to grab the coffee cup. 

"Don't tell me you're going to save him," Doha said fearfully. "If you save him your entire life is over Jong-in."

"Then what am I supposed to do?" he sighed. "She's been literally camping infront of my building for a week and refused to leave."

Doha went silent and sipped his coffee, lost in thoughts. He knew how much of a past Jong-in and Jinyoung had and although it wasn't his really his call to decide what was the best, anyone in the same situation would have thought what Doha would have thought.

"Are you ready to face it?"

Jong-in only shrugged.

"You've been avoiding it for so long," Doha said in a concerned voice. "You even moved to Duxenville to get away from it."

Jong-in stood up from his seat and turned to Doha.

"It was coming sooner or later," he grinned. "It was just a matter of time." He pat Doha on the shoulder and walked out of the room, glancing at Danbi who was unpacking her things in the room. He didn't want to give the young girl the truth about what had happened to her brother; she seemed so young and innocent. Danbi rushed out as she saw Jong-in and crossed her arms.

"Promise me you'll come pick me up as I call."

"Sure," he said quietly and walked down the stairs, Doha following after.

 

     Dan-bi watched from her window as Jong-in gave Doha a small hug and got into his car, driving into the dark alleyway and disappearing. Although she was a little sensitive about new places, she liked this place. It was like a city in a wonderland she had only dreamed about.

"Hey SooJung," Doha said with a forced smile.

"Yeah?"

"Dinner's ready," he nodded. "You should come down."

Danbi watched as Doha said awkwardly and rushed down the stairs. It was weird; he was acting so confident and friendly just a few minutes ago, now he was acting like a stiff rock. Perhaps Duxenville brought changed personalities in people, she thought.

She walked down to the smell of Chinese food puncturing her nose.

Everyone sat around a long rectangular table and moved about as they helped set the table and the food, almost filling the entire table with food that seemed to be a little too much for the small group to finish.

Danbi took a seat in the middle and watched as everyone took their seats.

"How do you know Dr. Jong-in?" NamJoon asked as he stuffed his mouth full of food.

"He's going to save my br-"

"You must be hungry Danbi," Doha laughed awkwardly and pushed a plateful of food infront of her. "Eat up."

     Danbi stared at Doha who looked uneasy everytime the topic about her brother came up. She didn't know what the big deal about it was, but she knew he was hiding a secret about something. It was already suspicious that Jong-in was refusing to answer personal questions about her brother and now Doha too.

 

     After dinner, Danbi lingered around the second floor, trying to catch the right timing to talk to Doha. She followed Doha who walked out to the balcony and carefully stood beside him as he looked out to the night scenery. Danbi glanced at Doha thoughtlessly. She hadn't noticed earlier, but he was quite good looking - his pale skin complimented his dimples that formed everytime he grinned.

"What are you doing here," Doha asked gingerly. "Aren't you tired?"

"A little," she shrugged. "I can still survive."

Doha chuckled under his breath and continued looking out into the horizon.

"I have a brother," Danbi mentioned and watched as Doha gulped nervously. "But he's dead."

"I'm sorry.." Doha said carefully.

"So I came here to see Dr.Death, the amazing doctor that the entire world is talking about." she said. She glanced at Doha who was silent. He only looked down, unsure of what to say. She watched as he bit his lips and fiddled with his fingers nervously.

"Jung Jinyoung," Danbi said straightforwardly. "Do you know him?"

Doha looked up slightly, hesitant.

"Y..eah," he said quietly. "We attended the same school when I was in Seoul."

Danbi knew Doha knew something.

"Oh really?" Danbi said innocently and looked into Doha's eyes that were averting hers. 

Doha stayed silent once again.

"Then you must have been there," Danbi asked. "At the school camp."

Doha gulped and looked at Danbi who looked right back at him. 

"What do you want..?" Doha asked, his eyes shaking.

"Nothing," she smiled. "I'm tired now. Good night."

Danbi turned around and walked inside, her heart pounding slowly. She knew something was definitely up, and she wasn't going to leave Duxenville until she found out the real truth.