002

Dr. Death

 

  


      Jong-in laid in bed, unable to fall asleep.

The name Jung Jin-young was a name he wanted to forget so much, yet it came back to haunt him; dead. He didn't know why that girl bothered him so much. Was it the fact that she was the sister of the man he desired to avoid so passionately? 

Or was it the fear that she would never give up?

"She's only a student," he murmured. "She'll give up.."

 

---

     Jong-in watched from his car as Dan-bi sat infront of his office door for the entire week, refusing to leave. It was Friday, and she still sat infront of his steps with the corpse of her brother neatly packed inside a large ice-box. He knew his nightmares had come true, and she wasn't going to give up easily. He didn't want to give her the pain of her own brother having no memory of her. 

"E-hem."

Jong-in cleared his throat, looking down at Dan-bi who woke herself up. 

     The school uniform made his heart weak every single time and viewed the girl in a pitiful light. The girl rubbed her eyes and stood up, looking at Jong-in with her eyes so swollen from crying she could barely open it. He looked at the ice-box and the sight of Da-bi shaking in coldness, sighing in annoyance. He really hated it when people tried to present themselves in the most vulnerable way possible.

"You'll catch a cold," he said. "Go back home."

"Not until you save my brother."

Jong-in sighed and glared at the girl who dared to glare right back at him. He cringed at the courpse that was slowly starting to lose color. It gave off an unpleasant smell as the girl held its hand. 

"You know who my brother is," she stood up and approached him. "You may not remember, but I remember you. very clearly." 

Jong-in gulped, staring at the girl with mixed emotions. 

"My brother saved your life," she blurted. 

Jong-in turned around, staring at the girl. He wanted nothing to do with this girl, but he had a bad feeling he was going to get involved. He never asked for her brother to save his life,and perhaps he would be better off dead. 

"You became a world reknowned doctor with the second chance my brother gave you, yet you're just going to let him die?"

"The living must go on, the same with the dead."

"Then why didn't you go on?"

Jong-in stared at the girl who glared back at him. He watched as she knelt down and grabbed on to his pants, looking up at Jong-in. He felt his legs get weak as he looked at the girl; she was full of the reminiscents of back home, the place he originated from.

The place where his unwanted past was.

"I don't have time for your tantrums kid," he sighed. "It's dangerous in Duxenville. Take the train and go back to Seoul, the last train leaves a couple of hours earlier than it does in Seoul."

"You're avoiding this until the end," she scoffed. "You think I don't know what you've done in Seoul?"

She sighed and ped her backpack, shocking Jong-in as she slipped out what was his old medical diary. He gasped as he tried to snatch it off her but backed away when she kicked him on the leg. She glared at Jong-in and flipped to the first page, reading the pages disgustingly.

"Give that back," he panted.

"You're a murderer," she spat. "You experimented on dead bodies just so you could save your father-"

"Shut up,"

"Then save my brother."

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Be a good girl and give that to me," he stuck his hands out frantically. "I'll give you money for the ride home."

"Can I just.. turn this in to the police station? You don't mind me right?"

Jong-in sighed in annoyance and screamed out loud.

"Fine," he seethed. "I'll save your brother. Now give it." he snatched the diary off Dan-bi's hand and stuffed it into his bag, glaring at the girl who sighed a breath of relief as she struggled to carry her brother up the small steps.

Jong-in pushed her and dragged the ice box up the steps, dragging it across the floor into his main office.

     Dan-bi sat on the sofa as Jong-in searched his desk and slipped out a bunch of papers, slamming it infront of Dan-bi and sat infront of her. He slipped out a pen from his inside pocket and placed it infront of her, watching as she read through the papers meticulously.

"Before I can do any sort of operation," he hesitated. "take a look at these forms and fill out everything. Surely you remember your brother's medical information, I assume?"

"Of course," she nodded and tucked her hair behind her ear, reading through the files carefully.

 

"This statement," Dan-bi said after a few minutes, looking at Jong-in who was at his desk reading through a few files. "This operation is entirely private and violation of this act will result in immediate stop of the operation."

"Yes?"

"Why must you make this so private?"

He sighed and closed his file, looking at the naive high school girl with his marble pen in her hand.

"If I made this public," he nodded. "Don't you think people will be curious about behind the scenes? And if they were to find about behind the scenes and this," he stuck up the medical diary. "Do you think I would be still here to save your brother?"

"I guess," she shrugged. "But isn't it a little strange that no one has come up to find out about it?"

"Someone did," he stood up and made his way toward Dan-bi. "And that's why I stopped."

     He cleared his throat and snatched the forms off her, checking the information as he flipped through. Jong-in cringed at the foul smell leaking out of the ice box and realized that Jinyoung's body had been there for some hours. Jong-in stood up and flipped the lid open, staring at Jinyoung who laid there with his eyes closed, his skin almost frozen. 

"Stay here," Jong-in said as he flung the lid back down and dragged the box across the floor.

"Where are you going?"

     Jong-in walked up to the bookshelf and pulled out a book 45 degrees and stepped back as the bookshelves began to rumble and slid to the side, opening its way into a dark passageway. Dan-bi watched in shock as he continued to drag the box through the dark passageway and disappeared in to the darkness. 

Despite his instructions, she found herself following behind the doctor. 

 

     As she walked in the darkness, she felt the temperature drop a few degrees. She made a turn and saw a dimly lit labratory enclosed with a clear glass door. Without much thought, she opened the door and stopped at the scene.

      On either side of the walls were horizontal water pods with glass cases, and inside them floated what appeared to be courpses sleeping in peace. They didn't even seem like courpses; they just seemed like sleeping people floating in blue lit water. She walked across as there were at least a hundred of these pods lined up side by side until she reached the far end where she saw Jong-in take the lid off the box.

     She watched from afar as he opened the glass lid of the pod and pressed a button on the side, watching as the pod lit up in blue and filled the empty pod with what seemed to be some sort of translucent liquid. He pressed a bunch of control buttons as the pod lifted itself up slightly, making a little space under. Jong-in slid the ice box under the pod and pressed another button, watching as the bottom floor of the pod opened up and lifted Jinyoung into the pod.

He set the box aside and placed the pod down to the ground, closing the lid as the water surrounded Jinyoung. 

"W..hat's happening?" Dan-bi spoke as she walked towards her brother.

"Holy crap," Jong-in murmured under his breath. "What are you doing here?!"

"What? I have a right to follow my brother."

"The lab is authorized personnel access," he seethed. "This is private."

"I already know about your secrets," she crossed her arms. "What more is there to hide Jong-in?"

"From this moment and forward as Jung Jin-young's doctor, you should address me as Doctor also, especially down in the lab." He sighed as he walked toward the metal door by the wall and scanned his hand and entered a password, waiting for the door to slide open. 

 

     Dan-bi chased behind him and gulped at the large lab room enclosed with bookshelves on everyside. In the middle was a large desk with a bunch of computers on each side of the desk and messed up papers piled up around them. She watched as he put on his white doctor's coat and sat at his desk, looking through the file that Dan-bi had filled out.

She watched silently at his serious side and took a seat on the side. 

"Can you go out and stay with your brother?" Jong-in said, irked. "I can't focus."

"Fine," she grunted and walked out of the lab, walking towards her brother's pod. She sat on the ice box and looked at her brother who floated on the water peacefully, sleeping like he had always been. 

 

"Please wake up soon," she sighed. "Let's go back to mom alive.."

      Dan-bi flinched as she heard a loud tingling sound from afar and diverted her eyes to the sound. There was nothing there except for the pods, but she was already getting a little creeped out. She had to admit, she was in a room full of what were dead bodies. 

She didn't know what she was so scared of; she even brought one here. 

     She flinched as she heard the sound again, this time louder. She stood up and slowly walked towards the sound, dragging her heavy footsteps. She stopped as she heard the tingling sound again, this time a continuous sound from the pod at the far right of the entrance. 

She gulped as the water in the pod began to lurch, the blue lazer light flickering on and off as the lurching got rougher. 

 

"Holy crap," Dan-bi whispered as she slowly backed away, watching the courpse crawl out of the pod. She watched as the pod crashed to the floor, the water crashing down onto the floor and reaching Dan-bi within seconds. 

     Dan-bi watched in horror as the lifeless courpse groaned and breathed out white smoke, crawling towards Dan-bi as its speed got faster. She breathed heavily as she backed away, leaning on the other pods and flinching at the courpses in the pods.

She grunted as she slipped on the liquid and fell to the floor, trying to back away with her hands.

She felt her entire body freeze as the courpse got closer to her. 

     The courpse had a white iris and its hair was falling out almost everywhere. Dan-bi gasped as the courpse opened its mouth and made an unidentifiable sound, revealing its yellow teeth and the prominent buck tooth at the front.

She screamed as the courpse tugged on her ankle and dug its sharp nails into her skin.

 

Jong-in frowned as he stood up from his spot, immediately rushing out to the pod lab. He stopped at the fluid spillt all over the floor and saw a courpse clawing its way onto Dan-bi as she screamed, budging for her life.

He slipped out a fry pan from under Jinyoung's pod and ran towards the courpse, banging it on the head.

The courpse made a squawking sound before it fell on the floor and passed out.

He sighed and dropped the fry pan, sighing.

"Do you see why this area is authorized personnel access?" he yelled and looked at Dan-bi who clutched her bloody ankle and silently wept in her spot. He sighed and knelt down to examine her scar which had dug in pretty deep.

"Come on," he sighed and crouched down infront of her. "Get on my back. We need to get you treated."

She silently forced herself on his back and closed her eyes as he walked past the courpse pods and out of the lab, back in to the main office. He gently placed her on the couch and grabbed a first aid kit from his desk drawer, sitting infront of her.

"What was that?" she asked, terrified. 

"That was uh.. an experimental vaccine," he murmured. "It had a little.. side effect."

"Yes, I can tell." she said saracastically.

"If you listened to me I wouldn't be wasting my time doing this," he applied alcohol on her scar as she yelled in pain.

"My brother.. wouldn't end up like that, right?" she asked softly.

Jong-in sighed and shrugged, finishing up wrapping the bandage around her ankle.

 

"This operation is a game of luck," he said. "Either they make it, or they don't."