An Old Acquaintance

Red String

Kai. I thought just staring at him in surprise. It had been over 4 years since I had last seen him. He didn’t look any different from when he had waved goodbye at the airport. I watched as he just stared at me for a few moments. Then felt my heart begin to race as he made his way towards me.

“So this is Taemin’s girl.” Kai said coming up to me and grabbing my chin. I winced from the way Kai said that and his fingers coming into contact the bruised skin Sehun already gave me. My heart fell at the realization that Kai had not recognized me.

“Jongin, you need to know something before you do anything you’ll regret.” The boss said, and I heard the sound of tearing. I looked to see him quickly crumbling up the piece of photo he had torn off and realized that he had torn Kang Dae out of the picture. I looked at him with gratitude as Kai removed his hand from my face and slowly walked over to the boss.

“Suho, I’ve already been informed that this is Taemin’s girl. What else do I need to kno-“ Kai almost finished but stopped as he looked at the picture the boss, Suho, was holding. I felt my heart drop as he snatched the picture from Suho. I didn’t know what to expect but I watched in surprise as Kai started tearing up the photo.

“Mel.” Was all he whispered as he walked back to me, after letting the scraps fall to the floor, and started untying the ropes that were holding me to the chair. I couldn’t help the tears that began to fall as Kai carefully untied me. I’m not sure if it was the way he was looking at me or just the way he said my name, but I couldn’t stop the tears from falling. He wiped away my tears and smiled at me sweetly.

“.” I heard Sehun say, and watched as him and Beakhyun took off their masks. They both exchanged worried looks, as Kai finished untying my arms and legs, finally beginning to untie the gag that was keeping me from saying anything. I wondered why they seemed so worried and felt Kai tense as he finally pulled away the gag from my face. Then I remembered the slap from earlier, realizing why Sehun and Beakhyun were worried.

“WHO THE DID THIS?” Kai asked turning to face the three men that were standing as far away from him as they could. I shivered at the suddenly cold voice that came from Kai, it sounded almost animal-ish. Nothing like the man I had met so long ago, who had just treated me like I was going to break while he carefully untied the ropes.

“Jongin, calm down.” Suho said, the only one that didn’t seem scared. I wondered if this guy was going to be able to calm Kai down. He seemed to be squaring his shoulders, trying to give the aura of an alpha, but Kai didn’t seem to care.

“WHO.” Kai asked advancing on the three men. I watched in shock as he raised a fist as he grabbed Suho’s collar. Suho just raised his hands trying to calm Kai down after a moment.

“Kai.” I said unconsciously, not wanting to see him hit someone. I stayed seated in the chair I had been tied to, not knowing what to do. Kai snapped his head towards me at the sound of my voice, followed by the three other men in the room.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you, and it turns out you were being hidden from the world by Taemin.” Kai said angrily as he let go of Suho’s collar. He then turned towards me again. I froze as he made his way back to me and watched in surprise as he fell to his knees in front of me. “You just disappeared. I tried to find you but it was like everything that involved you had just disappeared.”

“I waited for you at Namsam that day. When you didn’t show, I couldn’t just wait for you.” I said cupping his face to look at me. “I’m sorry.”

“I would have been there if I could, Mel. I would have done anything to be there.” Kai said placing his hand over mine, making my heart break at the way he was looking at me. “Nothing would have stopped me from being with you.”

“Then what did.” I asked quietly, forgetting where I was at the moment, just wanting to know why Kai hadn’t been there that day. It felt like it was just Kai and I in that moment, the world having slipped away from us.

“I got shot pretty bad.” He said quietly. “I was unconscious for about 8 months.”

“Shot.” I said coming back to reality and where I was at the moment. I turned to Suho, with Kai still nuzzling into my hand. “Why am I here?”

“Taemin leaked out information to a gang who were looking for a client we were keeping hidden at the club. Which led to Kai’s injury and trouble from our other clients, who were questioning our abilities. Also trouble from the authorities, wondering why a huge fight occurred in a popular club.” Suho said watching Kai, who had rested his head on my lap. I noticed Sehun and Baekhyun’s wide-eyed expressions as they look at Kai. “It took us over two years just to locate Taemin and another two to learn his routine. He’s a sneaky bastard.”

“Why Taemin?” Kai asked, having remembered why I was here in the first place. “Why did it have to be him?”

“Kai.” I said pulling his face up to look at me. “He helped me through a hard time of my life. He makes me smile.”

I saw something in Kai’s face and the next second he was cupping my face, pulling me to him. I gasped as he kissed me, but melted at from the tender kiss. I lost all thoughts of what I was planning to say, and just kissed him back earning a grin from Kai that I barely noticed. I missed the feelings that he was able to pull from me, but froze as I realized what I was doing.

“Stop.” I said pulling myself away from him, remembering that I was with Taemin now. I couldn’t just kiss Kai and let everything go that I had been through with Taemin.

“Don’t.” Kai pleaded as he realized what I was thinking. I could only shake my head as he cupped my cheek again, trying to get me to look at him.

“I’m sorry.” Was all I was able to get out, feeling like my heart was shattering as I felt Kai’s hand drop away from my face. I finally turned my gaze to him and saw that his head was bowed and his hands were in fists.

“Fine.” He said angrily, standing up. He silently made his way towards the door, pausing right before he disappeared out of sight. “Don’t think I didn’t notice that you’re still wearing it.” Was all he said before disappearing out of sight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a quick chapter. I just wanted to focus on the meeting before starting into anything else, so enjoy!