Decisions

Red String

~2 months later~

 

“Mel, I’m not saying you shouldn’t go,” Yoona said worriedly following behind me as I grabbed my purse, about to leave the apartment, “I’m just worried. He went silent half way through the trip, and when we finally got back the club had been sold to a new owner.”

“If I don’t go, what am I supposed to do?” I asked, reflexively putting my hand to my stomach. Kai’s text had suddenly stopped half way through the trip, he had been texting me every few hours and we had been sending pictures back and forth of what we were up to. He seemed so excited about Namsam tower, sending a countdown till the date.

 A few days after his texts stopped, I got a bad cause of food poisoning which had turned out to be something else entirely. The results had come back, telling me that I was a pregnant and I was just suffering from morning sickness. Yoona had started crying when I told her, asking what she could do for me. I had just told her that I would find a way to make this okay.  I didn’t know what I could do, but at least the chance of seeing Kai might help me know what was going to happen in the future.

“Just know I’ll be here for you.” Yoona said resting her hand on my shoulder as I opened the front door. I smiled reassuringly at her, and made my way towards the elevators, Yoona falling in step beside me. We rode the elevator down in silence.

“Have you told your father yet?” Yoona asked as we made our way out of our apartment building.

“Yeah, he freaked out and threw a tantrum the first few days after, but he’s calmed down.” I said smiling as I breathed in the fresh air. “He’s always been very supportive.”

“I bet he’s excited to be a grandpa.” Yoona laughed, knowing how my father was always looking at the positive side of everything.

“Yeah, my aunt sent me a picture of his fridge,” I said, grinning, “he had the ultra sound I sent him on the fridge.”

Yoona hailed down a cab as we talked a little more about my father and his reaction to the news. I started laughing as I remembered the look on Yoona’s face when I had told her. She told me to shut up when I told her why I was laughing as she shut the cab door after we climbed in.

I told the cab drive the destination and then my mind was on seeing Kai again. I wasn’t sure if he would show up, but I wasn’t really even sure what I would do if he did. I had been preparing myself to not see him.

“How long are you going to wait?” Yoona asked after a few minutes of silence.

“I’m not sure.” I said pulling away from the window, to see Yoona looking at me worriedly. Yoona didn’t say anything, but took my hand in her’s. I smiled at her and turned back to look at the passing shops. As the cab pulled up to Namsam tower, we climbed out of the cab and made our way to the small little café that was on the ground floor of the tower, which had a good view on the path that led to the tower.

We sat and waited for over three hours. Yoona drinking coffee, while I sipped on water. As the café began to close, Yoona led me away from the tower telling me that it was getting late. I didn’t say anything but walked with her, holding my head high. I had made up my decision while we had waited in the café.

I would be fine. I had people who were going to be there to support me, and I will take care of this child no matter what, father or not.

 

~3 months later~

 

“Okay, I want the expecting mothers to put the pillows under their knees and lean against the father’s for support.” The teacher instructed. “The father’s will be giving the mother’s their support.”

I glanced at the door, hoping that Yoona would be here any minute. I watched as the other couples started getting into position, feeling my face turn pink in embarrassment as I sat by myself.

“No Yoona today?” The instructor asked making her way to me. Yoona had made a big impression the first day of class, fussing over me as if I was about to break. I had finally snapped halfway through the class that day, and the rest of the couple’s burst into laughter as we argued.

“She said she might be a little late.” I said glancing at the door again.

“I guess I-“ The instructor began, but was interrupt as the door shot open. All eyes turned to see a blonde haired man bent over panting in the doorway. “I’m sorry, but who are you?”

“Sorry I’m late Melody.” The man said, and I felt my eyes widen in surprise as the man straightened up and I saw his face.

“Taemin?! What the hell are you doing here?” I squeaked, not having seen him since Yoona’s uncle’s funeral 2 years earlier. He was Yoona’s cousin and also like a brother to her, since she had lived with them after her parents had passed away from a car accident when she was four.

“Yoona couldn’t make it and called me.” He said making his way to me. He plopped down behind me, pulling me into the same position as the other couples.

“I haven’t seen you in forever.” I said looking up at him.

“I’ve been busy, and since Yoona moved in with you after high school, you haven’t been around the house lately.” Teamin said smiling softly down at me. I was about to ask what he had been up to, but was pulled back to our surroundings as the instructor began talking everyone through the exercise.

We went through the rest of the class whispering about what Taemin had been up to for the past 2 years, telling me about the restaurant him and his buddies owned. I laughed as he told me about how once, his friend Jinki had accidently caught his shirt on fire while cooking.

I had to smother my mouth to stop laughing, when the instructor turned her glare on us. I apologized after the class had finished feeling bad for interrupting but started laughing half way through, when I saw Taemin, over the instructor’s shoulders, trip over one of the mats after having grabbed my stuff from one of the cubbies on the back wall.

I apologized again once we had made it to the door of the classroom, Taemin grinning as I finished and excused ourselves. I tugged him towards the elevator as he started trying to tell a joke to the annoyed instructor.

“I hope to see Yoona next week.” The instructor called from the door, as the elevator dinged in arrival. Taemin waved goodbye, a large grin on his face. I just giggled as I pulled Taemin into the elevator.

“So, were you shocked when you heard the news?” I asked resting my hands on my protruding stomach.

“That shy little Melody had gotten knocked up?” Taemin asked. “Not really. Its always the shy ones.”

“.” I said elbowing him sharply in the ribs.

“Just a joke! A joke.” He laughed, holding his side. I shot him a glare, and he looked down at me with his puppy eyes in full affect.

“Ugh, I’ve always hated when you did that.” I said remembering all the times he had tricked people with those eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Taemin grinned. I just rolled my eyes and exited the elevator as it opened on the ground floor. “So…”

I turned to see Taemin looking unsure with his hand rubbing his neck. I looked at him in confusion as he looked away. “Yeah?” I asked, waiting for Taemin to continue.

“I was wondering if you wanted to go get lunch at my restaurant I was telling you about.” Taemin said and I was a little shocked to see the confident Taemin, acting all shy.

“Sure.” I said smiling at him. It would be fun to catch up. Taemin jogged up beside me taking my bag, and draping his arm over my shoulders.

“The guys will love you.” Taemin said as he led me outside, and hailed a cab. I smiled, and let him help me into the back of the cab.

“It’ll be fun to see Minho and Kibum again. I remember you three were always pulling pranks around the neighborhood.” I said grinning as I recalled the time they had painted the all neighborhood doors pink. I had to run into Yoona’s house and away from the complaining neighbors, so I wouldn’t burst out laughing in front of them.

“Jinki and Jonghyun will be excited to meet you also.” Taemin said, after telling the cab driver the address. “You’ll get to see what a ditz Jinki is.”

“Can’t wait!” I said excitedly. Then frowned, remembering the stares I get every time people see that I’m pregnant and find out that I’m a single mother. The looks aren’t that bad, but its still hard to see the pity in their eyes after they hear that there was no father in the picture.

“What’s the matter?” Taemin asked as he caught sight of my frown.

“Nothing.” I said smiling to reassure him.

“Melody.” Taemin said in a stern tone. I grinned at that and told him about why I was a little worried about meeting them. He draped his arm over my shoulder again and smiled. “It will be fine.”

I just rolled my eyes and looked out the window at the passing scenery. After a few minutes of Taemin telling me the story of how they pulled off the well-known animal farm prank they had done their last year of high school, while I was a sophomore at the same school. I laughed as Taemin explained how hard it was to lead the goats to the third floor of the school, when the cab driver announced that we had arrived.

Taemin led me into the restaurant carrying on the story of the farm prank. I spent the rest of the day laughing with him and his friends. He then later took me home, walking me to my apartment door. I was telling him about how I was leaving for Jeju Island next week to spend the rest of my pregnancy in the care of my father and aunt, who had moved there after I had started attending college, and how I was planning to spend the first two years afterwards on the island getting help from them with the baby.

“Melody.” Taemin said sternly when we finally reached my apartment door.

“Yes?” I asked kind of taken aback as he had been mostly quiet, listening to me talk, as we had walked back to my apartment.

“I had fun today.” He said looking down at me.

“Yeah, it was grea-“ I began to reply but was caught off guard as Taemin bent down and kissed me.

“I’ll see you soon.” Taemin said softly as he pulled back after a moment, and walked away before I could bring myself to say anything else. I stood there shocked for a moment, squeaking as Yoona pulled open the door.

“What a dork.” She said as she pulled me into the door. “He just had to do that. I feel kind of sorry for him though.”

“Yoona?” I asked still shocked from the kiss a minute ago.

“I never told you this,” Yoona said rolling her eyes, “but, he’s always had a thing for you.”

“What?” I said in shock.

“Yeah, I saw it the second his eyes fell on you when I brought you over in middle school. And you know what. I take back what I just said, I don’t feel bad. He never confessed to you all these years. But maybe he’ll put some effort forth now.” Yoona said wiggling her eyebrows at me. “I don’t think he’d be able to leave you alone now.”

~

After that day, Taemin showed up every day, bringing me lunch from the restaurant, until I left for Jeju Island. Once I was at Jeju he would text me on a daily basis, even showing up every other weekend to hang out with me and my family.

After the birth of Kang Dae he visited every weekend and helped out around the house. I couldn’t help feeling at ease around him as he became a happy existence in my life. Later,  hen he finally asked me out, holding a sleeping 5 month old Kang Dae in his arms, I happily said yes.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I know it was a little fast paced but I just wanted to get the bulk of the background addressed before I lead into the full story! I can't wait to keep writing! 

I was struggling with the idea of if I should make the story with Mel getting pregnant, but I've always thought it as an interesting plot line. I'm super excited to write this kind of story.

And introduce Taemin into the mix. Mwahahaha I feel so evil bringing him into the story but I also felt like it was a good choice. :P