Chapter 09: Facing the Affection

Smile 4 Urself

 

 ❈♍❈

Next Day

-Fourth Day-

Kame really hated the stares he receiving right now by his friends; more specifically his cousin and three nosy friends. He sighed tiredly, continuing on his food, trying to ignore the amused stares sending his way. He glanced around the small café and saw that it was indeed crowded, not entirely chaotic, but crowded. Tired of the stares, Kame put down his chopsticks and stared back at the four, frowning at them.

“What?” he asked.

“Tell me why you want to take Christmas Eve off,” Mi-chan poked Kame’s cheek as she grinned.

“No reason, I just want to have a break on Christmas,” Kame shrugged, smacking Mi-chan’s finger from poking his cheek, the girl seemed to enjoy it a bit too much.

“Com’on Kazu, I know you a bit too well for you own good; you would NEVER miss a chance to make some extra money on special occasion, and holiday like Christmas is the BEST occasion of the year!” Mi-chan reasoned, exaggerating the important words with her hands.

“I just want a break,” Kame still held onto his words.

“Kazu! Stop hitting around the bush!” Mi-chan impatiently said. 

“Why do you keep poking into this matter? What’s wrong with you?” Kame said annoyingly, he really didn’t like it when his privacy is being invaded. Yes, he loved Mi-chan and would share his whole life story with her as if he hadn’t done so, but that didn’t mean it is his duty to give her every detail.

“Don’t mind her,” Ueda finally spoke after finished with the last beverage on the note pad list. “She is having one of those ‘I want to kill some es’ time,” he added, grinning at the pouting Mi-chan.

“What did YamaPi do to have her that y?” Kame laughed heartily, he was surprised to see Mi-chan losing her cool for once in a long time.

“No clue though,” Ueda said laughing, patting the pouting girl and handing her the sweet white mocha he made especially for her.

“So tell me why I am here?” Kame asked, finishing his last piece of food.

“We heard about your day off, and it has me wonder the same thing as Mi-chan,” Ueda said innocently, as if he hadn’t known anything.

“I see the news has spread fast,” he glared at Mi-chan who just waved off the glare with another sip of her favorite drink. “It’s just a break from work, I also want to feel some Christmas holiday feels that others have been babbling about,” Kame replied casually.

“And who you are going to spend Christmas with?” Ueda went on, he wanted to hear the answer, seeing that Kame was about to give a lie, he quickly stopped the younger man, “and don’t give me the ‘by myself’ because we all know that spending Christmas alone is not in your calendar, hell I don’t think that you know Christmas exists until yesterday!” Ueda deadpanned, he knew it too well. Kame was tongue-tight at the exclamation.

“You’re surrounded Kazu-chan,” Koki finally joined in the conversation, “you know that pissing off Tat-chan would not do you any good than waving off Mi-chan’s attempt, they both are equally scary in their own way,” he concluded the obvious.

“I really have no choice, don’t I?” Kame finally gave in, he knew he would never win against two.

“Not even a chance,” Maru and Junno said in unison, nodding their heads.

“Well, Jin invites me to spend Christmas Eve with him, because I have NEVER been outside of the cabaret on Christmas since I moved to Tokyo,” Kame dramatized the sentence.

“So you have a Christmas Date!” Ueda and Mi-chan happily high-fived each other at the confession, “Congratulation on finally dating again,” Ueda grinned satisfied.

Kame stared at the two figures with his horrified looks, “what are you talking about? It’s NOT A DATE!” he shouted almost scaring off the customers in the café.

“Lower your voice dam it!” Maru gritted his teeth at the shouting man, as he turned around and apologized to startled customers. Kame followed the man’s action and bowed apologizing.

“It’s not a date!” Kame said firmly with his low tone.

“Com’on Kame, it is Christmas and he invites you to spend it with, not to mention it’s only the two of you, what other conclusion can be drawn?” Junno spoke his thought.

“Two grown men that have no girlfriends or boyfriends have decided that single people should gather around and celebrate Christmas in the manliest way?” Kame tried with his calm voice, he had thought this up just in case being asked; and he glad he did come prepare.

“Very manly,” Mi-chan smiled wickedly.

“I don’t like your smile,” Kame turned away from the glaring girl.

“Have you ever thought about being with him?” Maru entered the main topic; they had been anticipating this topic for as long as three months ago.

“Are you nut or lost your mind somewhere? How can I think of being with him?” Kame felt the need to splash some cold water on his friend’s face sometimes.

“Have you ever thought about it? Not that you CAN or CANNOT think about it! We ask HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT about it!” Ueda hardened his tone at the important words, he wanted the younger man to be honest for once.

Kame became silent, not like he had NEVER thought about this question; it was a small possibility. He knew that he treated Jin a bit better than others, ok A LOT better; he immediately found fondness in Jin within the first few weeks; he became comfortable around Jin; he was glad to see the man next to him when he was sick. He felt safe and protected around Jin. He had never felt like this before. Even in his first relationship, this feeling had never been addressed. Never once, he had to think of a way to repay Jin for anything; he didn’t mean that he was taking advantage of Jin but he just knew the man wouldn’t want him to repay him in any material way. He knew Jin understand his thoughts better than himself. He just knew that Jin would always be there when he needed him and he would do the same. Being around Jin gave him this strange happiness and smiles always found their way to his lips; and cheeks always becoming crimson color at Jin’s presence.

“We’re waiting~,” Mi-chan poked Kame’s side repeatedly.

“Mi-chan,” Kame sighed, “Ok I HAVE thought about it, but you know it’s IMPOSSIBBLE,” he dreaded on the last word.

“What makes you think it’s impossible?” Mi-chan uttered out, she didn’t like it when the guy brought up that drama.

“Look at me! I’m still hanging on that past!” Kame pointed at himself as he sighed.

“You choose to hang onto that past!” Mi-chan retorted, “she has moved on; I understand first love can’t be forgotten but that doesn’t mean it is a learned mistake and you decide to never repeat it again! The matter of the heart and the matter of the mind are two different areas. Give yourself a chance,” Mi-chan almost shouted in her frustration.

“Have you given it a chance too?” Kame turned to her with his stern eyes.

“It’s a different matter!” Mi-chan barked back.

“It’s the same matter of living in the past, Mi-chan; you’re still not moving on and I don’t see you trying either!” Kame growled; he knew he had crossed the borderline.

“The matter now is not about me, Kazu,” Mi-chan took in a deep breath, “I’m ready to move on; but I don’t want to move on by myself,” she said with a clenched heart, “I want us to get out of this together; I’m ready to leave this behind, and I know you are ready too; you’re just too scared of what to expect in the next stage of this rocky and unsteady journey, and I’m the same!” Mi-chan looked into his eyes searching for sympathy, “let’s move on together; this time around, you have me to back you up if you hit the ground again,” Mi-chan let out her silent tears as she spoke the last few words. Kame bit on his bottom lip as he looked at the teary eyes. Maybe…maybe…he should give this time a second try. 

Jin was surprised when Yamaa called him earlier that day and asked him to come over to the young manager’s luxurious condo. Jin comfortably made himself at home on the long couch in the middle of the living room, dangling his legs off of the couch’s armrest as flipping through the channel on the TV.

“Tequila or Vodka?” Yamaa asked from the kitchen, searching in the refrigerator for anything.

“You can have them all, a water bottle for me,” Jin replied rolling his eyes; he knew something was off with the sudden invitation to come over.

“Since when you start to be clean?” Yamaa entered the living room with a water bottle and a can of beer.

“Since I’ve learned what alcohol can kill you in the ugliest way?” Jin replied with a triumph grin, taking the water bottle from Yamaa’s hand.

“Has Kazuya rubbed on you this bad? Now you even care about how you look when you die?” Yamaa laughed heartily at his remark and Jin just waved him off.

“He has a good point on that you know,” Jin said shrugging.

“Yea but really? You have to look pretty?” Yamaa turned to give Jin a frown.

“You know how much he loves to take care of his beauty,” Jin laughed at the image of Kame going nutty when his styled hair didn’t come out the way he wanted it to.

“You seem happy when you talk about him,” Yamaa noted; he took the remote from Jin’s hand and picked a random channel and let it stay there.

“I never get bored when talking about him,” Jin admitted, “his character lightens my day without trying and I don’t even know why,” he laughed at the memories.

“True, he has a bright characteristic,” Yamaa nodded.

“There is just one thing that bothers me,” Jin said after a short pause, Yamaa turned to Jin and waited for the man to continue, “I wonder why he never smiles; I mean as in a bright smile, a truly happy smile,” Jin modified the term in a much deeper meaning as to seek that inner question he had been holding.

“Have you ever asked him about it?” Yamaa suggested.

“I did, the answer was vague,” Jin sighed, “I just have to wait for him to be more open towards me I guess,” he let out a little disappointment.

“Do you find him attractive?” Yamaa started the strike; he had to do it now or he would have an earful from Mi-chan later; the whole point of this meeting was to knock some senses into the idiots.

“Huh?” Jin abruptly turned to Yamaa, spitting out some water at the question.

“I said do you find him attractive and WIPE YOUR MOUTH!” Yamaa repeated as threw a napkin at Jin, who had water everywhere on his shirt.

“Thank you,” Jin mumbled as he caught the napkin and hurriedly wiping off the water; he tried to find an appropriate answer to that question.

“Be honest with me, I hate to have dig it out of you some other way,” Yamaa waved his index finger at Jin when he knew his childhood friend would give him a lie.

Jin leaned back on the couch as he closed his eyes, he searched the answer deep inside his mind and heart; he wouldn’t want to lie to Yamaa. “it would be a lie if I say he is not; but does finding him attractive have any subtle meaning to it? Guy does find another guy attractive, and in this case, it’s undeniable that Kazuya is one the most attractive men I’ve seen all my life, not that I’ve seen that many though,” Jin tried to explain in a long speech.

“Conclusion: he is attractive,” Yamaa decided to draw the final and simple conclusion as he stared at Jin for any confrontation, but the other man just nodded his head with eyes still closed.

“I can hardly treat him as equally as the way I treat you, Pi; it’s hard to do it when every time I see him, butterflies start to dance wildly and that’s scary,” Jin confessed.

“And he made you into a poetic, too;” Yamaa pointed out, “you have the hot for him then,” he drew another conclusion.

“Maybe I am?” Jin doubted himself. He knew he only attracts to men; his first boyfriend was the solid proof of that. However, he knew there is a zero possibility for both him and Kame. The younger man had stated that he would never live pass the past.

“Are you doubting yourself?” Yamaa asked, studying Jin’s expression.

“Not doubting, I’m just unsure whether I like him as a friend or like him MORE than that? Having a hot for him doesn’t mean I like him in the romantic way, it sounds like a physical need,” Jin stated his point, “and I would hate to have our relationship that way.”

“Why don’t you give it a shot?” Yamaa finally proposed.

“It’s not that easy,” Jin snickered mockingly, “I don’t want to give him pressure; and since I still couldn’t sort out my feeling; I don’t want to lead anyone on, especially Kazuya; he has been hurt once and I don’t want to be the reason for his heart to add another layer of bandage on top of the old wound,” Jin sadly said.

“Then sort out your feeling! But hurry, you only have a week left before Christmas Eve starts, and you know what Christmas usually prefers to in its romantic form,” Yamaa grinned.

“I will,” Jin nodded his head.

“Anyway, do you mind I change channel? This one is starting to get boring,” Yamaa quickly changed the channel without Jin’s consent even though he did ask for courtesy sake.

❈♍❈

Next Day

-Fifth Day-

Jin slowly made his way out of the bed room; he didn’t notice it was in the afternoon, it must have been a hectic working night for the two of them as he approached the kitchen, he was surprised to find Kame already up and was having the first meal of the day. He waved his hand with a small “afternoon”, making his way to the fridge for his own portion of “breakfast”.

“It’s empty,” Kame informed from his spot, turning to show Jin his breakfast, “why you think I’m having cereal?” Kame remarked laughing. Jin nodded his head finally understood the strange scene of Kame eating cereal for breakfast.

“Where is Koki?” Jin asked after he poured himself a glass of milk.

“Something about Nana-chan and Mi-chan being infuriated,” Kame replied shrugging.

“Mi-chan is going to bald him,” Jin had figured out the solution as Kame nodded. They both let out a small chuckle at the imaginative scenarios playing in their minds.

“You have two more days left to work at the cabaret, right?” Kame asked in the midst of their laughter, and Jin hummed an affirmative reply, “It would be hectic without you around,” Kame mumbled lowly, casting his eyes down. Strangely enough, a tinge of loneliness found its way to his consciousness with the thought of no Jin at the cabinet.

“Toma is a great helper, it’s just that you have to nag him back to work when he is being distracted by the girls, or some cute customers,” Jin placed the milk glass down onto the marble counter as he continued, “Hiroshi is a bit out of it though, just need to teach him a few,” Jin began to go on and counted each bartender in the cabaret as if giving Kame a careful list of how to handle his assistants.

“I know that much Jin,” Kame heaved out a long sigh, his problem was not due to no help; he knew his assistants were more capable than that; come on he was the one hiring them, personally interviewed and evaluated each of them before offered them the position. His problem laid in the fact that NO Jin in the cabaret.

“Then it’ll be fine without me around, right?” Jin turned his attention over to Kame, studying the younger man for any changes. Kame remained in his seat without looking elsewhere, only staring straight ahead at nothingness.

“I don’t know,” Kame finally said, lifting his gaze to look at Jin, staring deeply into the other’s curious orbs, “It feels strange,” Kame finally confessed.

“What do you mean by strange?” Jin asked; one hand placed on Kame’s shoulder for reassurance.

“I like your company around the cabaret; it will be so lonely without you around,” Kame said sadly, he did enjoy Jin’s presence; it made his night shifts less stressful and more enjoyable.

“It’s not like you will never see me again,” Jin chuckled at the other’s slightly childish remark, “We share the same apartment Kazuya, you see me every day basically,” Jin reminded the other of their living status.

“I know that, but it’s not the same with working in the same environment,” Kame put his index finger on his lip, trying to figure out what is the best way to explain what he was feeling, “it’s just…without you around the cabaret, I’m afraid I don’t have the confidence that I’m having now,” Kame tried to put a name to his strange clingy feeling.

“You don’t need me for confidence, you have that WAY before I came, Kazuya,” Jin helped to sort out the other’s confusion. He just wished that Kame would not see the situation in the way of without him around the cabaret meaning they would officially away from each other, when in actuality they could see each other EVERY DAY.

“I’ll miss you,” Kame blurt out in the midst of his frustration, his explanation somehow got lost in the translation.

Jin was quiet after that outburst, Kame felt anxious, why didn’t Jin say anything, he was so confused. Was it so wrong to say it? Maybe he should not say it. Suddenly he felt arms wrapping around his shoulder from the back as Jin leaned into his crook and breathed hot air into it with a small mumble.

“Of course I’ll miss you too,” Jin replied, closing his eyes as arms still draping around Kame’s shoulder, the younger man leaned his head back to meet Jin’s bundle of hair as he sighed in relief.

“Thought I scare you,” Kame chuckled lightly.

“No you are not; I was waiting for it,” Jin smiled.

“Why it takes me this long to accept?” Kame questioned himself.

“I don’t know, but I’m glad my waiting wasn’t going to waste,” Jin replied, tightening his hold around Kame as the two of them leaning on each other for comfort.

“How did you do it?” Koki asked amazed at the scene playing on the screen as the rest of the team were blinking their eyes in amazement.

“Like I said, idiots need someone to guide them on the right path,” Mi-chan smirked, loving that her efforts didn’t go to waste from the previous night.

“It was quite tearful yesterday,” Ueda admitted from his spot as he remembered the scene from their café the day before.

“But that didn’t seem to sway him,” Junno voiced from his spot, he might be the airhead but he was not that ignorant when it came to his friends’ affair, “what else did you do to have him accept the fact that he is attracted to Jin?” he questioned the girl.

“Well for that, it was not my credit to take,” Mi-chan smiled, glancing over to Maru who hadn’t spoken a word since then. Maru caught the glance Mi-chan giving him as he raised his brows up in a question look. The girl smiled gratefully at him as she mouthed a “thank you”. He just nodded accepting it.

Ueda, Koki, and Junno exchanged looks at each other at the telepathic conversation between Maru and Mi-chan, wondering what they had missed out.

 

❈♍❈

Next Night

-Sixth Day-

 Mi-chan found herself sitting in the grand VIP area in the cabaret with Yamaa, and the rest of “the team”. They had insisted on coming to the club to watch Jin on his last day of work, because the next day would be the off day for Jin and Kame as Mi-chan independently decided so. It would be their beach day.

“Why the beach?” Koki came back to the VIP area with a tray full of their drinks; he was made to serve them tonight for making Mi-chan losing one of her best girls.

“Because Kazu-chan loves the beach,” Mi-chan replied simply.

“But IT’S DECEMBER!” Koki screamed at the girl’s logic.

“So?” Mi-chan replied still nonchalant.

“What kind of idiot would agree to that?” right when he finished his sentence, several pillows were thrown at him; it turned out the suggestion was actually made and agreed on by Maru, Ueda, and Junno.

“Now you have your answer,” Yamaa teased, scooting over to make space for Koki.

“Geez, you all are crazy people, and now I have to be your victim,” Koki said pouting, which had Mi-chan rolling her eyes in disgust.

“Your pouting face is sickening me,” Mi-chan shivered at the scene she just witnessed.

“SHUT UP!” Koki shouted, rolling his eyes.

“I see the whole crew is here,” Kame announced as he made his way to the VIP table, he was allowed to skip work for the night at Mi-chan’s order. She was the boss after all.

“Of course, we want to give Jin a farewell party,” Ueda said smiling as he raised his cup.

“Where is Ryo?” Kame asked,

“Restroom,” Ueda shrugged.

“He found someone to screw?” Kame said with that wicked smile.

“I dare him,” Ueda replied with the same spite, “plus I don’t mind if it is a cutie, we can have you know,” he added with satisfaction at Kame’s wide eyes, he loved the reactions from others at his outrageous comments.

“Where is Jin?” Yamaa asked from his spot, leaning up to glance at the bar area but Jin was not there.

“He said something about a missed call and he needs to answer it,” Kame replied, watching as Yamaa’s expression changed into a dark gloomy one. Yamaa immediately shot up from his seat, leaving the VIP area to go find Jin, he sensed something was not right going on at the moment.

Mi-chan could also detect the change in the atmosphere when Yamaa walked out of their table. She turned to Kame who only shook his head at her in return. Through their eyes’ movement, the two decided to follow said man out, something just sparked up their curiosity.

The two immediately followed Yamaa out into the back door leading to the back alleyway of their cabaret. Their footsteps were falling into Yamaa’s ones, they watched at the other man mumbling curses under his breath like a mantra. When they saw Jin’s silhouette, who was now talking or more like arguing on the phone with someone, legs kicked harshly every now and then on the pavement to pour out his anger.

Yamaa quickly found himself next to Jin and put a hand on the older man’s shoulder as a sign of comfort. Jin turned to his best friend and shook his head. As he looked pass the friend’s shadow and saw two figures belonging to Kame and Mi-chan, he smiled and waved at the two who replied with a wave.

“Like I said, I don’t want to go back there, mom,” Jin spoke coldly into the phone.

He waited for the other line to give out reasons and pleads as he took in a deep sigh. He closed his eyes to control his anger from busting out. The last thing he would want was to scare the people around him with his resentment. Kame made his way to Jin; he turned the older man to face him and brushed his fingers lightly over the cold skin on the man’s cheek. Eyes filled with worries. Jin smiled at the younger man and with his free hand he tugged Kame by the waist and brought Kame into his embrace as he seeking the comfort from the younger man. Kame wrapped his arms around Jin, hands the back of the man to calm the other down.

“I’m not ready to face him, mom,” Jin said in reply, voice was a bit calmer now.

“I don’t think he has changed, I love you but…this is the life I’m choosing for me; please mom, don’t make it harder for me,” Jin pleaded into the phone, listening to his mom’s pleading sobs.

“Of course I know he hasn’t changed, I know what he did to Reio’s life a month ago mom,” Jin hardened his voice, “I still haven’t forgiven him for that, my brother had to suffer a great loss in deals with Japanese markets, and of course I know it was his doing, mom.”

Mi-chan turned her gaze away from the new couple and looked at Yamaa for an explanation. The other just gave her a signal that it was best to not dig into it. She accepted that much; however, it didn’t mean she would stop everything.

Jin finished the phone call with a final answer of “NO” and then hung up the phone, putting it away in his pants’ pocket.

“Is everything ok?” Kame asked looking up the older man. The older man nodded and tightened his hold around Kame; it was his peace.

“You have a lot to explain to me after today,” Mi-chan whispered to Yamaa, who turned to her with an unwilling agreement, “either that or I’ll find things out by myself, and it’s not a pretty picture,” she warned. The other nodded in defeat; he knew it wouldn’t be long until Mi-chan would connect the pieces together into a big picture.

Mi-chan turned back to the couple still hugging each other, she gave out a sigh; not that she wanted to disturb their sweet time but they had a PARTY to attend!

“Alright, love birds, time to head back to your party or the idiots will complain,” she watched as the couple parted and turned to her with silly grins.

“Sorry,” Kame apologized, cheeks were tinted with red.

“Sorry about that,” Jin followed the other’s words and Mi-chan just waved her hand at their apologies.

“Emergency, I know,” Mi-chan said, “but the party is still on going, let’s go back in,” she her heels and walked back to where they came from. Yamaa followed right behind, trying to catch up to the girl and stretching out his hand to grab on the girl’s wrist. He was surprised that Mi-chan didn’t brush his hand off like how she would always do.

“Are you feeling ok now?” Kame asked when they started to walk back.

“Yea,” Jin replied softly.

“We’re going to the beach tomorrow,” Kame gave the man the hint.

“We are?” Jin asked quite surprised.

“Mi-chan decided to have bonfire at the beach tomorrow to celebrate your last day of work,” Kame smiled and the older man nodded.

“It sounds fun,” Jin smiled.

“Maybe…” Kame bit his lips, trying to find the right words, Jin turned to look at him before they reached the back door, “maybe…for one day, give yourself a refreshment,” Kame smiled, hoping the older man would catch up to his intention. Jin looked puzzle for a second and then he smiled in realization.

“Sure.”

The two walked back to the VIP table, hands intertwined with each other.