Chapter 08: Double Date?

Smile 4 Urself

 

❈♍❈

Next Day

-Third Day-

Kame was so not a nervous type, he never was. Even in the most nerve cracking situation, he could manage to make a coherent and sensible speech. Therefore, there was no freaking way that he would be so anxious for this double date, or blind date on his part. He stared at the closet in his room, not knowing what to wear. Saying that he had no clothes was a BIG FAT LIE! Koki once said that he could open a clothing store with his clothes alone. Even so, he was fidgeting in front of his closet, and stared at it in daze and unmoving.

“Why are you staring at your closet?” Jin asked when he passed by the younger man’s room, he was a bit concerned about Kame’s anxious, it was a rare scene.

“I need to pick out an outfit,” Kame replied, eyes not leaving his closet.

“Are you going out later tonight or something?” Jin asked, walking towards Kame and joined the younger man in staring at the closet.

“Not tonight, more like in 2 hours,” Kame said, looking at his phone to check the time.

“Shopping?” Jin asked, eyes wide opened.

“I would be ecstatic if that is the case,” Kame said with his mourning tone.

“Then where are you going?” Jin became curious.

“Some double date with Mi-chan,” Kame answered casually, totally missing Jin’s frown face.

“Double date?” Jin repeated, not so please with the term.

“It’s for trying to pair her up with Yamaa-san, I should’ve known better,” Kame groaned as he fell back on his bed.

“Oh…do you know who is your … date?” Jin asked, trying to sound indifferent.

“That’s where the problem lies, I have no idea,” Kame buried his face in his pillow, not wanting to face the reality.

“Wow, that’s … risky…” Jin commented.

“It’s not my idea really, Mi-chan pretty much forced this on me and I know what will happen if I go against her,” Kame shivered at the thought.

“Need help in picking out the outfit? I know I’m not the best, but then better to have some assurance than none, right?” Jin offered, at least that was the least he could do.

“Really? That would be awesome!” Kame sprinted up from his position and looked at Jin with thankful eyes.

“So where should we start?” Jin asked, walking to the closet and beginning to pull out whatever he saw. Kame thought over the pieces Jin showed to him and then decided that Sunday was a bright day.

“Maybe something more summery?” Kame said, thinking.

“It’s winter Kazuya, and it’s freezing outside, no one would want to wear one thin layer,” Jin said with his concern.

“I’m not talking about the layers; I’m talking about the color,” Kame laughed. “I’m sick and tired to see black or darker color for winter, I want something more livelier; let’s say blue or white,” Kame randomly picked the color and Jin just laughed at the man’s logic.

“I love how your mind works,” Jin blurted out without thinking and returned to the closet to pull out whatever blue and white he could see.

“Glad you do, you will love me more as you get to know me,” Kame said proudly, standing up and heading to where Jin was at. He leaned over Jin’s back to have a better look at Jin’s picks.

“I think jeans work with everything, and you never go wrong with it in any casual occasion,” Jin said logically.

“Wow, your fashion sense has improved,” Kame said smiling, approved the man’s pick.

“Thank you, I’ve learned from the best,” Jin said winking at Kame and the younger man smiled heartily at him. Jin looked back and smiled along with Kame, for the first time in long months, he had finally seen the true smile.

“I love your smile,” Jin said out of the blue as he observed Kame.

“Really?” Kame smiled back.

“They are genuine and make you…” Jin stopped, not sure if the other would approve.

“Prettier?” Kame finished for him and Jin nodded. “Thank you,” Kame said, “Only you can get away with that comment, think of it as my favor to you,” Kame added, patting Jin’s back and taking the jeans from Jin’s hand.

“I’ll take it I’m blessed,” Jin chuckled, turning back to the closet for the right top.

It took them about half an hour for Kame’s outfit; Kame decided that his hair styling would take him much longer than the clothes fitting and he was off into the bathroom for that purpose. Jin walked back to his room to pick up his phone as he could hear its loud ringing from Kame’s room. He flipped open to read the unread message.

---
From: Midori
Text: You have nothing for today right? I heard it from Mr.Stalker.
---

Jin laughed at Mi-chan’s nickname for his best friend, wondering how Yamaa found his way to this wicked girl.

---
To: Midori
Text: None, and I heard you and Pi are going on double date with Kazuya. Who is the other guy?
---

A few seconds later he got a reply

---
From: Midori
Text: Jealous? LOL you can come too you know, I have another friend that also wants to join, make it triple date! The more the merrier.
---

Jin gave the text a few thoughts, he was not going to lie that he was curious about Kame’s date. If anything would be done, he would like to know who Kame would go out with, At least on the friend standing, he would like to know more about his friend’s affair.

---
To: Midori
Text: Sure, where do we meet?
---

A reply came within a heartbeat, Jin wondered how fast can this girl type!

---
From: Midori
Text: The café! Be here in an hour! And tell Kazu to hurry up! I know he can be so god damn diva and take FOREVER!
---

Jin laughed loudly at the message, and he couldn’t agree more to that statement. Kame was always the last to finish whenever they had to go out somewhere or even going to work. The younger man had to always be perfect!

By the time Kame and Jin reached the café, Mi-chan and Yamaa were waiting for them at the usual table. Kame frowned lightly at the absent of the other two supposed attendees. Jin didn’t seem to notice the different.

“Where are the rest?” Kame asked once he had settled down.

“Look at the time Kazu, it’s already an hour passed the meeting time,” Mi-chan narrowed her eyes at him.

“What do you mean an hour, only forty minutes,” Kame corrected, knowing that he was in wrong but still.

“Well, since you two were so late, the other two already find their comfort in each other and left for their date, without us, and you!” Mi-chan said shrugging.

“Wait…they are not girls?” Kame asked with wide eyes.

“One of them is and the other one is bi-ual, so do the math,” Mi-chan said.

“So why didn’t you text me and let me know they have gone so I can stay home and sleep some more?” Kame narrowed his eyes with the accusation.

“Since we waited for you, at least we need to take out our revenge,” Mi-chan countered back and Kame’s brows twitched in annoyance.

“You two, stop bickering; the usual?” Junno appeared right on time to stop the ticking bomb, Kame and Mi-chan nodded to the tall waiter; Jin and Yamaa ordered their respective orders.

“So what do we do now?” Kame asked once Junno left them alone.

“Well, we still have to go on with what we planned,” Mi-chan said, taking out a small box. Kame, Jin and Yamaa looked at her strangely.

“Pick out a paper, from there,” Mi-chan instructed and Kame did as told. He drew out a small paper and it said, “Park.”

“The park?” Jin said questioning.

“We’ll go to the park for today,” Mi-chan grinned.

“What we do there?” Jin asked, not sure why he needed to be around when his supposed date had long gone.

“Uh…do the date thing,” Mi-chan said obviously.

“Who is my date?” Kame quickly asked.

“Definitely not Mr.Stalker here,” Mi-chan rolled her eyes.

Jin and Kame finally understood the whole idea and blinked their eyes in bewilderment.

“You’re not interested in women, as Yamaa here told me, and you’re a well known bi-ual Kazu, so yea do the math,” Mi-chan shrugged, “Ah the meal is here!” she exclaimed when Junno returned with tray of their food. Jin and Kame still hadn’t recovered from the shock.

Kame and Jin sat uncomfortably at a bench in the middle of the public park, they weren’t sure why they decided to go with it. Not really sure but it didn’t bother them to know they were each other’s date. Not even an ounce.

“Do you know about this?” Kame asked, the feel that they needed to say something was bothering him.

“I have no clue, until just now,” Jin chuckled.

“Well, I’m glad it’s you,” Kame smiled and Jin stared at him waiting.

“Really?”

“At least I know I’m not going on a date with some strangers,” Kame laughed, “Mi-chan does have some weird companies,” Kame added.

“Oh I see,” Jin nodded, leaning back on the bench as he watched the children running back and forth in the sandbox.

“It’s weird to sit here and watch the children,” Kame said after a short pause.

“How so?” Jin asked.

“I feel like it would be a long time before I have any of my own,” Kame laughed as he leaned back next to Jin.

“Well, at least you have a chance,” Jin took in a deep breath, “it’s impossible for me.” Kame turned to Jin with questioning expression. The older man caught on the question.

“I know that I’m not interested in women when I was in high school,” Jin confessed, “I don’t get excited when I see girls in swimsuit or the likes, just normal. To top it off, I had my first ual experience with a girl and things didn’t go well; so yea, women are not for me,” Jin concluded.

“Hmmm…so men work?” Kame asked once Jin finished, the older man turned to him with a nod.

“Pretty much, at least the one I was with the last time got me into serious trouble with family,” Jin finally relaxed and confessed.

“They’re against your ual preference?” Kame spoke carefully, trying not to provoke any uneasiness.

“More like they don’t like it when we don’t follow the path they set out, it’s quite serious; and to have a boyfriend to top that, it was bad enough,” Jin said with eyes almost filled with tears. Kame watched the older man lost in his past as he could feel the pain, might not be the same with his but each wound has its own running.

“So…how everything went in the end?” Kame softly asked.

“A force break-up, transferred to another high school, finished with a study abroad under my parents’ surveillance eyes,” Jin smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry to bring it up,” Kame apologized, casting down his eyes; he didn’t know the other was going through such tough time.

“It’s ok, at least I found my way out of that life now,” Jin clapped his hand together once he was done and turned to Kame with a beam. Kame scoffed a smile at Jin as he opened his arms and wrapped them around the older man’s shoulder, bringing Jin into his embrace.

“A hug to make things feel better,” Kame said with a smile. Jin was surprised at the sudden embrace but then he sighed contently and buried his head into the crook of Kame’s neck, loving the way Kame’s light scent cologne taking over his senses.

Kame slowly moved his arms around Jin’s form, his eyes started to search for Jin’s pair as they separated. When their eyes met, he could feel that strangely heat came rushing to his face again, and this time Kame couldn't hide it. Jin looked at him with concerned eyes and brought a hand to Kame's forehead to feel the heat.

"Are you ok? Your cheeks are red," Jin said, concerning.

"Just a bit hot, maybe it's the sun," Kame quickly answered; however, Jin frowned at the statement.

"We are in the shade Kazuya," Jin said, quite oblivious.

"Dehydrated?" Kame tried again.

"I was just playing with you," Jin laughed, "don't be embarrassed around me, you also make me flustered," Jin admitted. For the past few days, he had been feeling butterflies in his stomach whenever Kame's face turned red.

"You make it sound like you have a crush on me or something," Kame joked and Jin just laughed along.

"Maybe," Jin replied gently, swinging one hand back to rest on the back of the bench.

"Like I said, don't fall for me because I'm a hopeless person when it comes to love," Kame said dreadfully.

"Same to you, I have said this before too, you just need to find the right person," Jin laughed.

"So witty, where did you get them?" Kame narrowed his eyes playfully.

"The best man in the house," Jin poked Kame's biceps as he laughed.

"Geez, don't copy my bad side," Kame smiled and turned to watch the children playing.

"Aren't they cute?" Jin murmured.

"Children are always cute, well except when they turn 7 or so, they won't shut up and question everything they see and hear," Kame scrunched his nose at the statement.

"Innocence is the charm," Jin laughed.

"Only if it's your own child," Kame retorted.

"You are an odd parent," Jin laughed.

"When you have 2 nephews and 4 nieces that chirping away by your ears every day, you will know what I mean," Kame bitterly said.

"I'll let you know by then how I feel," Jin patted the younger man on the shoulder; Kame just snickered at the clueless man.

The two grown men were interrupted by a beach ball landing right between them. Kame was startled at the sudden blow while Jin quickly turned to find the culprit. A chubby shy boy with big round eyes hid behind a small pole biting on his small thumb as he watches the reactions from the men, guilt and scare emotion splattered on the boy's face were so vivid that Kame and Jin didn't have a heart to yell or shout. Kame gently picked up the ball and headed over to where the boy stood. The boy's eyes turned terrified and he was about to flea but Kame's soft voice called out to him.

"Do you want to play together?"

The boy became surprised at the question as he blinked his eyes at Kame. The motherly smile soothed the boy's fear and he slowly stepped away from the pole and walked with his small baby steps towards Kame.

"You are not mad?" the boy innocently asked.

Kame ruffled the boy's hair gently and smiled, "of course not, did you mean to hurt me?" the boy shook his head wildly, fending innocence.

"So can we play with you?" Kame pointed his finger at Jin and then back to himself. The boy looked over to Jin who smiled back, then excitedly nodded his head and took the intimacy to grab Kame's hand and Jin's hand as leading them to his spot on the playground.

From afar, Mi-chan watched the interactions between the two men with an ice-cream in her hand, it was her favorite flavor too. Yamaa watched the girl as her expression changing from blank to evil grinning to questioning frown, and then back to happy face. He loved to see how quickly Mi-chan could change her emotions when the matter related Kame.

"Are we going to watch them all day?" Yamaa finally said, finishing his ice-cream.

"Of course!" Mi-chan deadpanned.

"But we are on a date," Yamaa said unsurely.

"We are?" Mi-chan questioned innocently as if she had never known about it.

"You said double date," Yamaa repeated the words.

"You do know it was in the plan right?" Mi-chan stared at the other man obviously.

Yamaa turned speechless, he should have known better. There was no way the girl would suddenly ask him out for anything. He let out a disappointed chuckle at the harsh reality.

"Sorry for assuming," Yamaa whispered to himself, but it was loud enough to be heard by Mi-chan.

“Don't say sorry to me," Mi-chan gently said, staring at the other man with remorse. "I've been so used in taking men for granted that it looks like I'm doing the same to you, sorry," Mi-chan casted her eyes down, letting the guilt wash over her.

"I don't like it when you are like this," Yamaa hurriedly said, "I want us to have fun, even if it is not a date in your term," Yamaa smiled at her.

"I don't trust men in general," Mi-chan stated.

"I know," Yamaa nodded since he had heard it several times.

"I always take advantage of men; I only love their money," Mi-chan felt the need to put it out for the other man. She hated to lead anyone on.

"I know,"

"I hate !"

"..."

"..."

"..."

"It was too painful to forgive, yet too hurt to forget; I'm trying but I'm failing," Mi-chan was at the verge of tears. Yamaa could see the desperation and hate in the girl's eyes. The sight of a broken Mi-chan made him boil in anger and really wanted to kill the . Watching Mi-chan trembling at the flashbacks, it was killing him inside. He wanted to protect her and to give her safety. He didn't know what had gotten into him but his hands had already settled on the girl's cheek to wipe away a single tear, he found himself leaning in and captured the girl's trembling lips into a gentle and comforted chaste kiss. He knew he would have to pay for it at later time but right now, he could care less.

It had been such a long time that Jin had felt this bliss of tiredness from playing and goofing around with children and friend. As far as he could remember, he had always been placing in a four-tall-white-wall room under the heavy surveillance of his private tutor. It was the expectation that he had to meet every week. Studying had been his forever duty the moment he was born and following his father’s every word had been the guiding path in life for him during his teen years. Only when his little brother decided to break out of that boring cycle that he started to question his purpose in life. From then on, he had been searching for it.

“Jin! Watch out!”

The loud warning broke Jin’s short moment of flashback, the older man turned to the voice and only to find a dodge ball coming his way and hitting right at his chest, which made him fall backward.

“Shoot! Are you ok?” Kame ran up to Jin to check the man’s state of consciousness.

“Could you have aimed it at somewhere else?” Jin complained, rubbing his lightly hurt chest as he stood up from the ground.

The little boy helped to dust away some dirt on Jin’s knees as he stared up at Jin worriedly.

“I’m sorry…” the boy mumbled in his low voice, he didn’t know his ball would hurt the older brother. Jin looked at the boy lovingly, feeling guilty for making an angry face earlier.

“I’m fine, there’s no need to feel guilty, playing also involve minor injuries,” Jin reassured the boy, he just wanted the lonely boy to have fun.

“But you fell down, it must have hurt,” the boy bit his lips as he could imagine how painful the fall could be.

“I’m a big boy, I don’t feel pain from minor injury,” Jin tried to lighten things up but looked like it only made the boy more confused. Jin glanced over to Kame to seek for help since he was never good with kids in situations like this.

Kame smiled as he kneeled down to face the boy, putting one hand on the boy’s shoulder. He finally had a pair of big round eyes staring at him.

“Don’t worry, he didn’t get hurt, do you see him crying? No right? Then it means it’s not hurting at all,” Kame said in a low soothing voice, observing the worried face turning to Jin to search for any tears or redness in the older man’s eyes.  Kame’s grin widened when the boy looked back at him as shaking his head in answering the “no tears question”.

“When you get bigger like he is, you will become stronger and can withstand small pain, you will not get hurt as much as of now with your small body,” Kame cooed in his baby voice, hoping it would help to make the boy feel more secured. The beam on the boy’s face only made it clear to Kame that his method is working.

“Good! Now who is tired and thirsty?” Kame stood up on his legs, dusting off the dirt from his jeans and looked towards Jin and the boy.

“Sound good,” Jin smiled agreeing.

“I want ice-cream!” the boy raised his hand and exclaimed in excitement. Jin and Kame chuckled heartily at the gesture; the boy had become familiar to them. However, that excitement was cut short when a woman walked to them with hesitation.

“Ano…” the woman started, having the attention from both grown men and the boy, who had his eyes casting down, “Shota-kun, it’s time to go home,” the woman directed the command to the boy, she bowed politely at the two men as stretched out her hand for the boy to grab onto.

“Ok…” the boy sighed and unwillingly took the offered hand as he knew his time was up.  He turned to Kame and Jin as he waved “Bye Bye Onii-chan~” and walked backward. Kame and Jin waved back smiling sadly.

When the boy was completely out of sight, Jin turned to Kame and asked, “Are we still on for some water? My throat is so dried from too much running and screaming earlier,” Jin cleared his dried throat for implication. Kame nodded his head and followed Jin out of the park and into a café nearby.

Kame and Jin quickly found a spot in the corner nears the glass window right after they received their drinks. The two men enjoyed the joyful Christmas carols in the background as they sipped silently on their drinks. Kame quite enjoyed this warm Christmas theme in the café, even though he had never celebrated Christmas, seeing that Christmas means more sale at the cabinet, he didn’t see the need to take a day off from work on this special occasion each year; plus it’s not like he would have anyone to spend it with.

“Christmas is coming soon,” Jin said, glancing over to Kame.

“I know,” Kame nodded nonchalantly.

“Do you have any plan for it?” Jin put down his cup and leaned back on his chair, waiting for the answer.

“Work?” Kame replied quite quickly, “there are always good tips coming in on holidays,” he reasoned.

“It would be hectic at the club,” Jin chuckled at the scene in his mind, he could already imagine the overly packed area, “so is the restaurant,” Jin noted, it had always been like that in every Christmas that he had spent at the restaurant.

“We are hard working people,” Kame laughed.

“Oh I don’t work on Christmas,” Jin quickly corrected; “I’ve only been working these past few months,” Jin could see Kame’s eyes almost popped out of his sockets due to this revelation.

“How much you make a month? More like…how much the restaurant makes a year?” Kame asked bewildered.

“It will shock the eyes out of your sockets,” Jin shook his head, wouldn’t like to make Kame becoming more shock from the enormous fortune that Yamaa clan owns in this restaurant industry.

“You two are so…mysterious…are you playing mind game here?” Kame joked, rolling his eyes at the older man.

“Not really, because no one actually asks in details, therefore, we won’t say if not ask,” Jin explained, “I think it’s a way to understand Pi better, you have to ask him in order to know more about him,” Jin grinned.

“I’ll remember to tell Mi-chan that,” Kame laughed, getting the subtle idea of Jin’s words. The older man laughed when Kame understood him.

“Anyway, you don’t have anything plan this Christmas?” Jin asked, taking up his cup for another sip.

“Not really,” Kame said shrugging, “it has always been the cabaret every year.”

“You’re kidding?” Jin widened his eyes in disbelief, he knew Kame is an introvert type, but he had never guessed the younger man is THAT introvert.

Kame gave Jin the slant look as if he would kill the other with his glare, the older man waved his hand in front of him, “Sorry,” he said, “I was just a bit surprised,” Kame cooled down his heat glared and turned away to look out of the window. Jin grinned at the pouting man.

“How about spending Christmas Eve with me?” Jin invited, he just wanted to give the younger man the joy of Christmas; at least he had been enjoying it every year. Jin’s parents were normally out of the country during Christmas and New Year; therefore, in the past it was the only week he would be free from watchful eyes. This year would be far more fantastic if Kame was to join him.

Kame gave the invitation a thought and then replied with a soft murmur, “I’ll check with Mi-chan to see if I can take that day off.” Jin was overjoyed with that reply, even if it was an unsure answer, but there was possibility.