Chapter 16: Another Birthday Surprise

Smile 4 Urself

 

❈♍❈

Several Months Later

Kame and Jin found themselves enjoying the coldness of the ice-cream were currently occupied with. Summer had finally kicked in and the heat kept rising day after day. Just a few days ago, Kame had suggested buying ice-cream and Jin was more than glad the younger man had. Spooning another bite of strawberry ice-cream, Kame held the spoon up and fed Jin who let Kame sit on his lap.

“That’s the last one,” Kame informed, getting himself up and headed to the kitchen for another box.

“We should get some more,” Jin said, trailing behind the younger man.

“I know~ we should make Koki buy this time, because he ate half it,” Kame whined, still remembering the fight he had had with the spiked haired man for ice-cream.

“Oh yea…the fight…that was epic,” Jin said snickering; he couldn’t get the image of Koki sitting on top of Kame, the younger man was not cut out for a fight against a gangster wannabe.

“Stop that,” Kame pouted, not liking it when others reminded him of his awesome fail.

“Sure sure,” Jin smirked, encircling his arms around Kame’s waist and holding the man within his embrace. Kame turned around within the hug and smiled lovingly at Jin.

“Clingy today aren’t we?” Kame asked playfully, gave Jin a peck on the nose.

“Maybe?” Jin replied, snuggling himself into the crook of Kame’s neck, tightening his hold on the other.

“It’s been getting humid lately with all the heat, don’t you think?” Kame asked, sneaking away from Jin’s hold and walked back to the living room. “Don’t you think it’s time for another outing?” he suggested smiling.

“Hmmmm…beach?” Jin said smirking.

“Okinawa?” Kame smirked along and Jin just laughed along.

 ❈

“Oooohhhh~ I love this breeze~~” Junno sighed, running up to the shore and letting the sea water soak his pale legs.

“Am I the only one thinking that he is too pale?” Kame asked and Koki just looked at him.

“Uh…you’re no better,” Koki said honestly and received a hard smack from Kame.

“Shut up,” Kame yelled and followed Junno’s example and ran along the shore, enjoying the breeze.

“Are you sure this beach belongs to us for the whole week?” Maru asked curiously.

“You got that right,” Yamaa answered with a sleazy smile.

“Privilege,” Mi-chan poked Yamaa’s chest with a naughty grin, Yamaa repling with a smile, loving that they had finally sorted things out between them.

After the little disappearance stunt Mi-chan pulled, the three of them had finally sat down and had a good talk. Mi-chan had learned that it was Yui’s idea from the beginning to create jealousy within Mi-chan for the little girl believed that Mi-chan had special feelings for Yamaa. But, Yamaa and Yui didn’t take into account was just how jealous Mi-chan could be. After revealing the truth, Yui had decided to go back since her vacation was coming to an end. As for Yamaa, he had to make friends with the couch for the whole week for tricking the girl, but all had ended on good terms.

“Hello~Earth to Pi-chan!” Mi-chan yelled in Yamaa’s ears, pulling the man out of his train of thought. “Don’t sleep on me,” the girl pouted.

“I won’t,” he laughed and ruffled her hair. The two of them heading off to his family villa .

“Neglecting work for a week is…” Kame said with a worried expression.

“We have planned this weeks ahead, so I think it’s good, just relax and enjoy the day, after all it’s better that way,” Jin cooed and placed his hand behind Kame’s back and lightly pushed the man forward, “we need to put our stuff away.”

Everyone was busy with their own arrangements; the silent house had now turned into a lively one with the shouts and yells from every corner of the house.

“Are you sure we can live here? I mean it hasn’t been used for years,” Mi-chan said worriedly at Yamaa, unwillingly putting her clothes in the closet.

“Yea, not like my family is going to come here and check on us, they don’t have that much time,” Yamaa said reassuringly, smiling at the girl.

“I’m not talking about that,” the girl smacked Yamaa’s arm lightly, “I mean…you know…the…non-living thing…are there any roaming around? Mi-chan clarified her point. Yamaa took some times to think over the girl’s words and then burst out laughing when he understood what she means.

“Trust me baby, there will be no ghosts or any of the the,” Yamaa hugged the girl from behind, causing her to jolt from surprise.

“I don’t know, maybe someone was murdered here before your family bought it,” Mi-chan stated her illogical reason.

“We’ve only been gone for only a few hours and already you’ve gone and turned all illogical on me,” Yamaa laughed out loudly, loving the half-hearted hateful stares from her. However, they were interrupted by a loud argument, they poked their heads out into the hall way and searched curiously.

“I said this room is mine,” Ueda pouted, dragging his luggage half way into the room but Maru was faster and held the luggage back.

“We have three people, so this room is ours,” Maru countered, holding a firm grip on Ueda’s luggage, not about to let go any time soon.

“Come on, you don’t expect us to sleep on two different beds, do you?” Ueda reasoned back, not that he disliked the other room, but why must he and Ryo sleep on different beds when they were a couple?

“You can push them together, and they are twin beds, they can hold only one person, where is Junno going to sleep?” Maru tried to reason with Ueda again, knowing that he was winning this one.

“There is only one bed here, how are you three going to fit?” Ueda questioned with an obvious gesture.

“At least it’s big enough to hold FOUR PEOPLE!” Maru shouted stating his point, Ueda wincing from the shout. The older man scrunched up his nose and decided it’s better to act than talk. He immediately used his leg and kicked Maru’s shin, the other man jumping in pain.

“Motherer!” Maru yelled, holding his injured leg, “what the Tat-chan?!” he yelled.

“What Tat-chan wants, Tat-chan gets, don’t you remember?” Ueda said with his proud victorious expression and hurriedly dragged his luggage and Ryo into the room and slammed the door shut on Maru’s face.

“!” Maru kicked the door annoyingly, soothing his nose from almost being slammed by the door. He turned around to Koki and Junno, who were already inside the other room and taking territory. They knew that it was an epic fail to try to reason with Ueda, so they took an easy way out. “HEY! That bed is mine!” he hurriedly ran into the room to get some space for himself.

“He never learns,” Kame said standing from the door of his room, turning over to Jin with a grin.

“he loss to Tat-chan again,” Jin stated, already know the final solution.

“Has he ever won?” Kame said with a knowing smile. He walked into the room and helped Jin with their luggage, the little argument having distracted him from his previous task.

“But it’s refreshing to see someone stand up to your ‘evil’ friend,” Jin said with a chuckle.

“trust me, you don’t want to see his wrath,” Kame laughed loudly, placing the last article of his clothes into the closet. He closed the door and turned to the older man; Jin opened the doors to the balcony and stepping out into the cold breeze. Kame followed the older man out into the breeze, breathing in the fresh sea air.

“It’s been ages since we last went to the beach,” Kame said happily, stretching out his hand and then placed his palms on the bannister, looking out into the wide open ocean.

“We can have another bon fire and of course stay out in the cold all we want without being asked by security like last time,” Jin joined in, standing behind the smaller man and circling his hand around Kame’s waist, loving the sweet silent moment.

“Yea…” Kame breathed out, listening to the sound of the waves and Jin’s heartbeats, it was too soothing and comforting that his eyelids feel heavy on him.

A loud knock on their door woke Kame up from his half-sleep state as Jin let go of Kame’s waist to answer the door. Kame turned around and leaned on the bannister to see who was the one disturbing his moment.

“Maru said we need to go grocery shopping, there’s no food in the fridge,” Junno informed at the door, at the sound of grocery shopping, Kame’s eyes lit up, a full course of Nabe popped into his mind. Even though it was summer that didn’t mean they couldn’t have Nabe. Weird but were they ever normal?

The days passed by in laughter and more bickering from Ueda and Maru about the bed incident, the two “older” men not letting the matter rest until Koki and Junno decided to let Maru hog one bed completely while they shared the other. The routine was repeated every day; the beach had become their playground for they had no work to worry about. Sometimes, they would go into town for a little sightseeing and enjoy the local food.

They were now lying scattered on the living room floor, watching some sitcom with each holding at least a bag of chips or popcorn in their hand, laughing loudly at the jokes. Jin was focusing his attention on the show that he didn’t feel his phone vibrating on his side, which was now poking Kame since he was so close to him. Kame turned his attention to the vibrating object, curiously picked it up and read the caller ID “Mom”.

“Your phone,” Kame nudged Jin’s side, holding out Jin’s phone to the older man. Jin glanced quickly at the caller ID and then swiftly bolted up from his position, mouthing a small ‘excuse me’ and headed out of the living room, away from other’s hearing range.

Yamaa saw the sudden movement, he frowned questioning at Kame with “who is it from” frown. Kame mouthed back with “his mom called”. Yamaa widened his eyes and then stood up following Jin’s trail to the balcony connects to the kitchen. Kame feeling that the other’s odd behavior was off, he wanted to follow the two out but  Mi-chan held on his wrist and shook her head a little. He reluctantly stayed back on his position.

“I told you that I have absolutely no connection with that guy,” Yamaa could hear Jin’s annoyed tone from a far, he could already guess what had triggered the older man’s anger. Once he was out of Jin’s sight but still able to see the other, Yamaa heaved out a soft sigh, glad that Jin was still in control of the situation.

“I will not go back just because he wants me to, and I wasn’t the one who agreed to that ed up arrangement,” Jin said harshly into his phone, disliking the whiny tone on the other line. Yamaa saw the frustration on Jin’s expression, walking over to the man and placed his hand on Jin’s shoulder as a reassurance. Jin turned to face Yamaa, glad to see that his best friend was there when he needed someone to keep him in check.

“Mom, I’m happy with my life now,” Jin said tiredly into his phone, feeling the need to let his mom know that he had been doing fine. He waited for the other line to reply, more like pleading to him.

“No mom, I don’t think I can have a proper conversation with that bastard without punching him in the face,” Jin said sternly, his eyes looking into thin air in front of him as if his mother was standing right there.

“’kay, I’ll see you when I’m back in Tokyo, take care mom,” Jin said hurriedly, hanging up his phone and turning back to Yamaa with a sigh.

“Are you ok?” Yamaa asked worriedly to his friend, knowing Jin for a long time, he understood what his friend was going through.

“Yea, let’s go back before the other worry,” Jin brushed the topic off with a smile and walked passed Yamaa into the kitchen.

“When are you going to tell Kame about your situation?” Yamaa said standing at the other end of the kitchen counter, waiting for Jin to finish chugging down his water.

“Soon,” Jin replied in a whisper.

“Don’t do it too late,” Yamaa pat his friend on the shoulder and then came out to the living room to join the rest of the team. Jin followed shortly after and returned to his previous position next to Kame, hugging and snuggling into the younger man from behind.

Kame turned his head back slightly and smiled into Jin’s bundle of hair as he whispered, “Is everything ok?” Jin nodded as an affirmation to Kame’s question.

“Good,” Kame said back softly, moving his hand to thread his fingers into Jin’s hair and massaged the other’s hair softly, “you left at the good part,” Kame changed the topic by filling Jin in what he had missed out on the show, and Jin listened silently at the other’s words.

Soothing music played throughout the candle lit arena, low whispering voices speaking in sync with the music gave him a little comfort as he cut the knife through the juicy steak, suffering through the unbearable silence between him and the person in front of him. Despite the warm atmosphere his used-to-be favorite restaurant gave him, the presence of his mother had successfully washed away that warmth. Each time he placed the juicy red meat to his mouth, he felt like he was trying to stuff in another piece of discomfort.

“Relax, Jin,” the woman in front of him said. Jin carefully looked up at the woman and tried to give his best smile.

“I am, mom,” he replied, forcing the meat down his throat as he cut another piece.

“I think this dish is your favorite,” his mother said mindlessly.

“It was,” Jin answered shortly, forcing another piece into his mouth. “So…” he started when it was too much for him to bear with the short sentence conversation, “I heard you’ve taken on gardening lately,” Jin said casually, picking anything to start a conversation.

“Un,” his mother nodded, twirling her fork in the smash potato.

“How do you like it so far?”

“Just killing time,”

“I see,”

The silence once again had returned. Jin didn’t bother to try, he just wanted to finish his dinner date with his mother as soon as possible.

“Reio called the other day,” his mother suddenly informed, putting her fork and knife down onto the sides. Jin stared up to his mother surprised. It had been such a long time that his brother had called “home”.

“How is he doing?” Jin asked quite eager wanted to know how his little brother was doing.

“He’s doing fine,” his mother reported, “it was good to hear his voice again after so many years,” his mother smiled at the memories of the call.

“Must have,” Jin smiled softly, even though he was a bit disappointed that his brother didn’t call him.

“He said he’ll be home for your birthday,” his mother informed, Jin only nodded his head.

“Did he say when he will be back?” Jin wanted to be the first to pick up his brother and catching up on lost time. His mother just shook her head at the question.

“Jin…” his mother said his name warmly, putting out her hand to place it on his elbow. Jin looked up at his mother with a frown as his mother continued, “please come home for your birthday.”

“Mom, you know I can’t,” Jin sighed, hating that his mother is pulling this card on him.

“But your brother is going—“

“I think Reio would be more than happy to celebrate my birthday at a bar than at home, Mom,” Jin hardened his voice to remind his mother about the real problem.

“Your father misses you both,” his mother said.

“I doubt that mom,” Jin scoffed, not believing a word his mother was saying.

“Just like me, he hates to see you two leave, you know he loves you both,” his mother tried to defense his father.

“I know him mom. He loves the amount of stocks that the Sato Corp. and Nakashima Corps are holding, and hates to see it being given to someone else,” Jin said bitterly. “And don’t forget that he was the one that has driven Reio out of the house and chased me out for disobeying,” Jin added not too gently.

“Jin,” his mother pleaded.

“It was a lovely to have dinner with you mom, but my boyfriend is waiting for me at home,” Jin stood up abruptly when his mother took a grip on his wrist.

“Boyfriend?” she asked with widened eyes.

“Yes, you have a problem?” Jin said sternly, disliked the shocked expression on his mother’s face.

“But—“

“Bye mom, have a safe trip home,” Jin cut his mother’s words and then walked out of the restaurant. He wouldn’t want to stay to listen to his mother’s complaints about morality lesson.

Rustling and shuffling sounds woke the light sleep Kame up from his slumber, he cracked one eyes open as straining his ears to carefully listening to the source of the sound, then he heaved out a sigh of relief, it was just his lover after all. Kame turned around to face the well-dressed man’s back, smiling at the sleek tuxedo adorning Jin’s body.

“Welcome back,” Kame greeted from his bed, making Jin jolt at the greeting. The older man turned around and smiled lovingly at Kame.

“Thank you babe,” Jin said, ing his shirt and slipped it off his body. Kame grinned at the sight in front of him.

“Go to bed like that,” Kame commanded from his spot, loving the smirk on Jin’s face.

“Someone is being naughty,” Jin said teasingly, taking off his pants and left only his boxer on.

“Com’here,” Kame opened his arms wide to welcome Jin into his hug, the older man immediately slipped on the mattress and hugged his lover back.

“How was dinner?” Kame asked concerning, he knew Jin was not happy to attend the dinner.

“It was alright,” Jin shrugged, tightening his hold on Kame, snuggling his nose into the other’s crook.

“I see, how was the food?” Kame tried to bring up another not-too-sensitive topic.

“It was great, I’ll take you there next time,” Jin answered smiling, chuckling at Kame’s eyes rolling.

“I don’t like expensive food,” Kame laughed.

“My brother is going back to Tokyo for my birthday,” Jin said with a content smile.

“Eh?” Kame sounded surprised, lifting his gaze to look at Jin, “you have a brother?” he asked with shock.

“Sorry I forgot to tell you,” Jin apologized after realized that he rarely talked about his family with Kame, he felt a little guilty towards the man for that.

“It’s ok,” Kame just shrugged the topic off, even though he really wanted to dig into the details of Jin’s background, he had made a promise that he wouldn’t push the other man. “So, tell me about your brother, is he younger or older?” Kame changed the topic to a more comfort one.

“A little brother, his name is Reio,” Jin replied, “and he’s younger by three years,” he continued with a smile as he spoke about his little brother to Kame. The other man listened earnestly to Jin’s story, feeling the closeness between them as Jin opened a part of him to Kame.

❈♍❈

Couple of Days Later

Kame waltzed his way into the kitchen, placing down bags and bags of grocery on the counter. Seeing Kame struggling with the bags, Mi-chan ran to help her cousin from tipping over and droping everything on the floor.

“Did you buy up the whole store or what?” the girl asked bewildered at the amount of food Kame had brought into the apartment.

“Not really but close enough,” Kame grinned cheekily and turned to place the food into the fridge. Mi-chan just rolled her eyes and helped Kame with putting the groceries away.

“Is Pi still around?” Kame asked while busying himself with another bag.

“Should be in the bathroom still,” Mi-chan answered casually, pulling out another cabbage from the bag, “and damn, are you on a veggie diet? There is nothing but vegetables,” another bag of celery was being pulled out by the girl and that made her frown deepen.

“A healthy meal is not going to hurt,” Kame nudged the girl’s side.

“Uh…I’ll pass,” Mi-chan scurried away; vegetables and salads are totally not her kind of meals, maybe just a little but definitely not main course. Kame chuckled at the girl’s disgusted facial expression and proceeded with  his preparation for their lunch.

“anyway,” Mi-chan changed the topic, “what do you plan to do for Jin’s birthday?” she beamed brightly. Kame stopped his task and gave it a thought.

“I’m pondering over large scale or small scale,” Kame wondered to himself, thinking over which was going to be the best choice for the other man’s special day.

“I would go with small scale, he’s more of a family person,” Yamaa replied as he entered the kitchen. Kame nodded his head at the answer.

“Since you know him best, any suggestion of where to hold the party?” Kame asked curiously at Yamaa, hoping for an answer.

“Hmmmm…there is this one place that we used to visit often when we were kids,” Yamaa brushed his chin with his index finger, trying to think if it was a good idea to let Kame in on Jin’s childhood.

“Really?” Kame eagerly leaned in for the answer, which caused the other man stepped backward at Kame’s enthusiasm.

“I think it’ll be fun if we celebrate it at his favorite hide out,” Yamaa gave a naughty grin; it was fair to let Kame know a part about Jin as a favor in return for Kame’s and Mi-chan’s story.

“Ooo~ it’s going to be an awesome celebration~ shall I call in the girls and bartenders at the cabaret? He treats them like family,” Mi-chan chimed in.

“Hm…maybe just the bartenders, I don’t want his birthday celebration being used as a make-out area for your girls and boys,” Yamaa said with all seriousness, still remembering the time of his birthday, where the cabaret girls and bartenders turned his apartment into a make-out arena.

“True…” Mi-chan was reminded of that same night and she wouldn’t want same thing to happen again.

“Hmm…does he have any friends other than us?” Kame asked after he made a mental note on the guest list. It seemed that everyone is going to be invited are his friends, only Yamaa is Jin’s friend.

“Friends, huh?” Yamaa made a thoughtful expression before replied, “I don’t know if he’s still in contact with them, but I know there is one person that is for sure that wouldn’t miss his birthday,” Yamaa smiled knowingly, Kame giving him a puzzled expression.

Kame smiled with satisfaction at the display in front of him. The pool area was lit up and surrounded by dim lights behind the bright background of the night sky light, thanks to the full moon today. He stretched his arms up as he turned around to look at the others who were helping him preparing for this party. Ueda and Nakamaru were busying themselves in the kitchen, he was grateful for them to close the restaurant early today; he smiled at the two of them bickering in the kitchen over which ingredient to put in to make the taste better. He walked to the living room and almost fell down on the floor at the sight of Mi-chan smacking Koki’s arm with a large paper fan when the spiked hair man dropped one of the décor items on the floor and broke it.

“HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO BE CAREFUL!!” Mi-chan screamed and kept slapping the paper fan on Koki’s side. Koki tried to run but Mi-chan quickly kicked him down and jumped on top of him and continued her ministration.

Kame shook his head at the scene laughing almost inaudibly at the two, “com’on children, we have lot to prepare,” he called from his spot, successfully stopped the little fight between the two.

“By the way, where is Junno?” Kame asked when he didn’t see the tallest man around.

“Must be doing something unimportant again somewhere,” Mi-chan answered shrugging as she helped Koki up.

“Un, let me check on Pi to see how things are on his side,” Kame pulled out his phone and sent a text message. A few minutes later, a reply came in.

---
From: Mi-chan’s boy
Text: On our way
---

“Perfect,” Kame smiled at the text, “ok guys, we need to hurry, they will be here any minute,” he called out to everyone and made his way back to the pool area, laughing at Junno tangled in all the confetti.  “Another kid,” he chuckled and let the man be.

Right when they had wrapped up the last pieces for the party, the front door burst open with Yamaa and Jin entered the hallway along with another person. Kame ran up to the entrance and immediately wrapped his arms around Jin’s body in a loving embrace.

“Happy birthday honey,” Kame whispered low enough for Jin to hear, the older man smiled and returned in the hug. Yamaa snickered at the scene and motioned for the third person to follow him towards the pool area.

“Thank you for this,” Jin smiled as he pulled Kame out of the hug to face him. “and where is my pre-gift?” he grinned naughtily.

Kame tip toed to be at Jin’s height as his hands cupped Jin’s face to lean in to give him a chaste kiss on the lips. Jin shook his head unsatisfied and mouthed “more than that”. Kame caught on and leaned in to capture Jin’s plump lips in his own and feeling the other man moving in sync with his lips’ movement; Jin circled his arms around Kame’s waist to pull the other closer to him to deepen the kiss. Jin nibbled and on Kame’s upper lip, tongue darting in to invade the sweet cavern. Kame lost himself within the kiss, letting Jin take the lead until his breath was completely drawn out by Jin’s kiss.

Jin released the younger man when they were in need for air; Kame panted heavily from their little kissing action. The sight of Kame’s flushed cheek and slightly swollen cheery red lips made Jin want to attack the man right there and then if it wasn’t for someone knocking him over the head.

“Don’t make me jealous, I’ve just broken up with my lover,” an unfamiliar voice woke Kame out of his trance. He quickly darted his gaze to the newcomer and felt himself shrinking in embarrassment.

“Not like you won’t  get over it,” Jin scoffed at the stranger’s remark.

“Well, it takes time and ten hours is not a long enough time,” the stranger grinned in counter.

“With you, three hours is long enough,” Jin slapped the stranger on the arm playfully as the stranger laughed heartily. Kame watched the exchange from behind Jin’s back; he was slightly surprised at how much the stranger resembled Jin. Kame tugged lightly on Jin’s sleeve to remind the man of his presence.

Jin turned to Kame and smiled before he walked over to the stranger and swung his arm around the stranger’s shoulder, “Kazu, this is my brother, remember that little troublemaker I told you about? This is the source of my headaches as teenager,” Jin introduced his brother to Kame and the stranger gave Kame a salute as greeting.

“So this is the infamous Kazu that my brother’s going crazy over,” Jin’s brother smiled at the puzzled Kame as he walked closer in front of Kame, “Nice to meet you, I’m Jin’s little devil, Reio,” the man introduced his name to Kame.

“N-nice to meet you too,” Kame stuttered at the new information, still slightly confused from all the fuss.

“You didn’t tell him I was coming right?” Reio called towards Yamaa who was now in the kitchen.

“You are the surprise,” Yamaa’s voice shouted back and Reio turned to Kame with an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry for this sudden appearance,” Reio smiled awkwardly, hoping that Kame wouldn’t find his presence a bother.

“No, not at all, I was just a bit stunned,” Kame finally broke out of his confusion and finally gathered his senses back, “I’m sorry for my rudeness, I was not prepared to meet a member of Jin’s family whom someone has not told me….” Kame glanced back to Jin with a playful glare as said man put his hands together and made a sorry sign.

“Ah, I see,” Reio nodded smiling.

“Glad you are here, you  must be thrilled to catch up with your brother,” Kame started the conversation with Reio and the younger man felt relief at Kame’s tranquil expression.

“Yup, there was a lot to catch up on and I couldn’t believe that he only told me about you just now, so much for brotherhood,” Reio made an accused narrowed eye at Jin.

“Then I guess the birthday boy is not going to have his presents any sooner,” Kame chimed in and Reio high fived him in agreement.

“Damn, I love your boyfriend already,” Reio stated towards Jin with a wink.

“Hey! Keep your hands off him! He’s mine!” Jin hurriedly moved to Kame’s side and stood in between his brother and lover. Kame chortled at the childish scene while Reio made an “x” sign with his hands.

“No worry dude, I don’t take taken men or women,” Reio said and followed the couple into the kitchen to start the birthday celebration.

“Why must I have to do it?” Koki slammed his hand on the marble counter in the kitchen while Mi-chan just leisurely held up a fruit knife in one hand and picked up an apple in another.

“Because I told you so,” Mi-chan replied in boredom and began to peel the apple slowly,  all the while eyes focused on Koki. “You know, I tend to be clumsy,” the girl smiled as she intentionally dropped the knife on the counter; its sharp point met the counter and made a ‘clang’ sound. Koki gulped at the sight and without a second complaint, he ran to the pool to set up the cake and camera for taking pictures.

“Do you have to do that?” Kame rolled his eyes at Mi-chan.


“I didn’t say I will throw the knife at him; it’s all his assumptions,” the girl beamed brightly as turned around to put the fruit knife away. 

“You can be a crazy sometimes,” Kame retorted with a beam and Mi-chan just clicked her tongue at her cousin, it was not like the statement was false.

“Anyway, where are Jin and his brother?” Mi-chan tried to change the topic and Kame just realized the brothers had disappeared somewhere.

“They must be catching up on good old times and recollecting their childhood memories,” Yamaa replied the question and the cousins nodded understanding. Kame made a mental note to talk to Reio when he was not being occupied by the “children”.

“I don’t see Tat-chan anywhere, did he disappear somewhere again?” Kame asked turning left and right for his friend.

“On the phone with Ryo,” Yamaa answered again, “there was a gang fight two nights ago, Ryo needs to be around to keep things under control, after all it is his club,” he furthered his explanation.

“What about Nakamaru and Junno?” Mi-chan chimed in. Yamaa pointed at the pool area, where the two men in mention were currently helping out Koki.

“How do you know everything?” Kame questioned looking at Yamaa.

“I have nothing better to do?” Yamaa smiled shrugging.

“But now you do,” Mi-chan laughed and threw a towel at the man, “help me wash and dry dishes,” she commanded, “Kazu-chan, no need to help, go and find your lover,” the girl instructed and turned back to Yamaa who scrunching up his nose at the washing job.

“You just want to be alone with him,” Kame scoffed as he walked off to the balcony direction in search for Jin and Reio.  He smiled when he caught a glimpse of Jin and Reio at the entrance of the balcony, he quickly made his way over to the brothers.

“Need a refill?” Kame asked pointing the pair’s empty beer bottles. Jin looked at their bottles and nodded.

“I’ll get them,” Jin offered and swiftly walked pass Kame and headed to the kitchen’s direction.

Being left alone with Reio, Kame felt a bit awkward and shy for no reason. He had never been this nervous around people; maybe it was because it’s Jin’s brother that he was with.

“I’m a friendly person you know,” Reio chuckled at Kame’s uneasy form. Kame jumped a little at Reio’s chuckle and smiled sheepishly at the younger brother.

“Yea, just I don’t know why I’m a bit nervous,” Kame admitted and slowly made his way out to the balcony to join Reio.

“Quite honest, I like it,” Reio evaluated Kame bluntly which made Kame arching up his brows.

“thank you?” Kame half laughed.

“it’s a compliment,” Reio assured, “there is something I have to say, thank you for being with Jin,” Reio bowed in appreciation at Kame.

“It’s not something to be thanking,” Kame said with a puzzled look.

“Maybe to you, it’s weird to say thank you but knowing Jin and what he’s gone through, I’m happy to see that he is more alive now than before,” Reio smiled bitterly.

“Is it that bad?” Kame unconsciously asked which received a ‘hm?’ from Reio. “I mean the family…your family…” Kame said uncertainly.

“Bad is an understatement,” Reio deadpanned, “it’s more like Hell, no cross that, it’s worse than Hell itself,” he closed his eyes as the images of the younger days rushed into his memories.

“Is that why you left?” Kame still puzzled over the situation at Jin’s home, the older man had never told him anything asides from Reio and strict family tradition. One thing Kame had learned over the past months was that Jin left the house on his own and had promised to never come back.

“Jin hasn’t told you anything right?” Reio turned his attention to Kame and the other man just nodded. “I guess a little of our childhood wouldn’t hurt,” Reio debated to himself as he looked up at Kame. “You know we are the typical rich and wealthy kids that everyone envies and wants to be with a typical family problem: the case of ignorance,” Reio heaved out a heavy sigh.