Chapter 01: PROLOGUE

Smile 4 Urself

 

❈♍❈

A Year Ago

“You got kicked out again?” Ueda, Junno, and Maru all said in unison as Kame tried to cover his ears with his hands.

“Guys, shhhhh!” the younger man shushed his friends as glancing around the shop.

“How is that you kept getting kicked out like every three or four months?” Junno asked, curiousity shone on his face. “Not like you’re having an unstable job or something, it’s just strange.”

“How do I know?” Kame said rolling his eyes.

“Is it the husband this time?” Kame nodded his head. “No wonder,” Ueda said shrugging.

“Hey!” Kame shouted back.

“Well, you have their wives going doki doki over you, so expected it pretty boy,” Ueda said beaming.

“As if you are not one,” Kame mumbled but soon face to face with a cake cutter.

“What did you just say?” Ueda said warning.

“Nothing,” Kame hurriedly scurried away from the counter.

“So…any plan?” Maru asked, hoping the younger man would have something planned out, after all this was not the first time something like this happened.

“I don’t know,” the answer made Maru and Junno slipped their arms off the counter.

“Seriously, Kame?” Maru said almost yelling, “how can you are not preparing for something like this to happen?”

“how do I know that I would get kicked out for the same reason?” Kame defended.

“But it’s not the first time!” the oldest screamed back.

“are you going to lecture me or helping me?” Kame pouted, glaring at the oldest boy.

“When do you have to move out?” Junno asked.

“By the end of this month, like in two weeks; how can I find a place that fast within two weeks?” Kame sighed dejecting.

“You are welcomed to stay at my place you know,” Koki settled down next to Kame with a beam.

“No thanks, don’t I have enough of you while we’re still a couple?” Kame said rolling his eyes.

“But you know that I still keep your room the way it used to be,” Koki reasoned out.

“He’s right you know,” Junno added in, “after all, his place is the only one that available at the moment,” Junno nodded as the other agreed.

“God, I hate all of you,” Kame said sighing.

“Awesome, so when will I expect you?” Koki said beaming.

“Maybe two or three days, I need to move stuff out and change my mailing address for everything,” Kame said thoughtfully.

“Ok, then I’ll leave the key at the same place,” Koki beamed as the other gave him thumbs up.

“What ill-fate I’m having?” Kame shook his head.

Two Days Later

“Koki.” Kame’s voice was dangerous; his hand gripping onto the phone harshly as his foot tapping hard on the concrete floor outside of Koki’s apartment unit.

“What’s wrong?” Koki asked wondering.

“You said the key is at the same place, BUT IT’S NOT HERE YOU GANGSTER WANNABE!” Kame yelled into the phone almost ripping the other’s eardrum off with his shout.

“WHAT?” Koki replied back with the same surprised tone. “It should be there, I have never placed it elsewhere, especially when I know that you are coming, then why should I…wait!” Koki came to a stop as if remembering something. “Ah! Ring the bell,” the short command made Kame frown.

“What?” Kame asked back with full annoyance.

“Just ring the bell,” Koki ordered as Kame frowned lightly but followed the order and rang the bell, footsteps were heard slowly approaching from the inside.

“You have a guest?” Kame asked back quite surprising.

“Nah, a housemate,” Koki answered, “actually I put my place up for rent and he just called me yesterday and moved in like instantly, without bargaining about the rent payment,” Koki said warily.

“Hmmm…must be a rich brat, your place is too expensive, one of the many reasons that no one wants to share the rent with you,” Kame said nodding.

“Hey, it’s called fancy, you turtle,” Koki replied back quite annoying.

“Better than you, ing baldy…”

“Uh…how may I help you?” the voice brought Kame out of the little bickering; he turned his head and stared without blinking his eyes.

“He doesn’t look your type,” Kame quickly commented as he bowed to the man in front of him, the other replied back with a bow as well. “Hi, I’m Koki’s friend and he told me to move in today,” Kame explained his situation.

“Ah! Kamenashi is it?” the other man said recognizing. “Koki told me last night that his ex-boyfriend is going to move in with him,” the guy said.

“Ex-boyfriend?” Kame repeated the title Koki gave him with questioning look at the man, but loud enough for Koki to hear.

“Not that it’s not true you know,” Koki said nervously.

“We’re only together for a week, you ing retard!” Kame shouted into the phone, “it’s called dating, not relationship!” he gripped the phone almost breaking it but remembered that he had been scaring the movers for quite some times now, “we’ll talk when you are home and yes we need to straight this out! I have conditions for you.” Kame flipped his phone close and moved asides for the movers to start on their work.

“I’m sorry for my rudeness,” Kame now remembered the other housemate is still around and turned to apologize.

“It’s ok,” the other said shrugging the topic off.

“Look like we will be housemates, so may I know your name?” Kame asked with his beaming.

“Akanishi Jin, you can call me Jin,” the man replied with his bright smile.

“Awesome, you can call me Kame like everyone else; I’m sorry but I have to move my stuff in, please excuse me,” Kame said apologetically as he walked towards the entrance to pick up boxes on the floor and moved them into his room.

Hours had passed before he finished with unpacking, Kame could feel those sweat streams rolling down his perfectly flawless face as he tried to swipe some off. He had never realized he has this many clothes to begin with. He reconsidered his shopping habit, maybe it is time to stop with the impulsive buying. The growling sound coming from his empty stomach alerted him; he found his way to the kitchen, wondering if the fridge is going to be empty again.

“Oh, hey there!” the cheerful voice greeted him. Kame was startled by the loud and friendly greeting; he waved back as a reply. The new tenant smiled and continued on his task of making sandwiches.

“Is there anything in the fridge?” Kame asked as opened the fridge door, grunting his nose at the unorganized fridge and the invasion of the alcoholic scent.

“I don’t think it has anything edible,” Jin replied, shrugging.

“I should’ve known,” Kame rolled his eyes, closing the fridge door as turning to where Jin was standing, at the same time, enjoying the melodic growling sound in his stomach.

“You want some?” Jin offered after hearing the sound. Kame smiled genuinely, more than happy to have something in his stomach even if it is sandwich with grilled cheese; unhealthy but durable at times like these. He muttered a “thanks” as taking the offered piece, quickly engulfed it in one go.

“So…how did you find out about this…” Kame twirled his index finger around the messy apartment to emphasize his next words, “pig-sty place?”

Jin couldn’t hold in his amusement, openly laughing at Kame’s expression as the man spoke the last words. “I just happened to see a flyer on the street.”

“I knew it was impossible for any agency to let him put his ad on their bullet-in board,” Kame scoffed with expectation, “Look at this place! Is this even worth the price he named?”

“Then how did you end up here?” Jin asked with curious.

“He is a friend,” Kame answered shortly.

“But  he said…”

“It’s his delusion!” Kame deadpanned. “would you consider one week of dating a relationship?” he added.

“Well depend on how far you would go with the person, look like he really considers it,” Jin said nodding.

“I’ll fix his brain later,” Kame said with a sigh and again his stomach was playing that tune again, making the two men laugh at its disobedience.

“Not enough to fill that with a grilled cheese,” Jin said.

“It’s called for grocery shopping time; we need something decent in the fridge to survive the next couple of days,” Kame stated, walking towards his room; however, he stopped half way and turned to Jin, “Do you want to come with? You know like exploring the area, look like you are not from around here.”

“Good idea!” Jin exclaimed at the suggestion, “I’ll get ready now.” He swiftly dashed to his room to grab his jacket and wallet. Kame also did the same. Within two minutes, they were out of the apartment and off to their task, chatting along the way to get to know the other better.