First Day of School: Yongjoo's

Fabulous
chapter four.
 
 
"Isn't this blazer a bit tight?" I lied to my mom as my maid helped me dress up for school. It is my very first day in high school. As I said the other day, I really do not want to go to school. I will desperately do anything, whatever it takes, just to excuse myself from going to school. That is if they will let me.
"Oh YongJoo. It fits you perfectly." I knew she was about to laugh. Not about the uniform but my excuse so I cannot go to school. She stood up and got her purse. "Whatever excuses you give, you'll be going to school anyway. I'll be late. Be good. Bye."
I want to roll my eyes, but the next thing that will happen to me is a pair of swollen eyes and hand-marked cheek on the first day of school, so I did one of my mental eye rolls.
Ten seconds after Umma left, I screamed and kicked my vanity chair away. There is nothing I could do so I brushed my hair and put my favorite Chanel headband on. I don't like to put make-up on my doesn't-need-to-be-fixed-because-I'm-already-stunning face so I just touched up my lips with Stila lip gloss. There. I'll make this day as perfect as myself, unless-
A loud bang that seems to be coming from my room's the door came. "Yong-yong-ah! You'll be late!" It was my brother, who else? He was just about to ruin my first day of school. But he sounds too excited and this is very rare since he doesn't like— hates— me going to the same school as he was attending.
"Yoongie-ah, it's your first day in senior high school!" Dongwoo yelled. I don't call anyone oppa or unnie.
I quickly ran from my walk-in closet to the door to open up before he comes in and read my hard-bound, glittery-covered journals, which is full of— the infamous secrets. Kidding. I just don't like my thing being touched by other people.
First day of school. Who will be the lucky person that will get to ruin my day? Well, I'm not exactly glad that it's such a nice day with the sun is shining, because, somehow, there are people out there, mourning because someone just died and in other parts of the world, it is raining, or worst, having thunder storms and hailstorms.
"Miss YongJoo, we are about to enter the school," one of my body guards warned. Stupid, but at least he didn't try to poke or nudge me.
"I'm not asleep," I said in a matter-of-fact tone. Before I go out of my car— yes mine but, I don't have the privilege to drive it until I am 18, I checked my face on my compact mirror, which is always in the pocket of my blazer. I took a deep breath and wore the I'm-Shin-Yongjoo-and-I'm-fabulous face.
"That's her." I heard people whispering.
"Who is she?"
"Shin YongJoo."
"Shin DongWoo's sister?"
"Omona. She's so pretty."
"Is that a Bvlgari necklace?"
I used to hate people looking and talking about me. It's rude. I hate it until now, actually, but I got used to it. Who can resist to my fabulousness?
"Yoongie-ah!" Sooyeon yelled, making me nervous when I saw her worried face. Something must be wrong.
"Hey." I waved my hand a little. I saw JiEun and Eunjung walking behind Sooyeon, busy talking with one another in a midst of something. Where's WonHee? She can't be late.
As soon as everyone was gathered around my locker, Eunjung finally spoke, "It's about Wonhee."
"Aish! Just get straight to the point," I harshly said. I am really curious, worried amd nervous about Wonhee. No. She can't be dead.
"She moved— They moved to States because of her studies." JiEun uttered, hearing the shakes in her voice.
"Her studies? Are we not studying here? Is this a night club?" I asked, hearing my voice trailed off. I can't show them that I'm feeling weak. I'm also hurt. Why didn't Wonhee tell me? I mean I was the first one here who knows and will know about everything and everyone. They always tell me first, do they? Did I become distant from them while studying in  Gyeonggi?
"You know how snob the Yoons are. They want Wonhee to finish studying in—" Sooyeon paused for a moment— "I forgot the school but her parents want her to enter Julliard." 
"Snobs but they aren't that rich and they are not old money," I muttered. Wonhee's family only got rich because her mother is a famous actress. Yoon DaHye, Korea's most beloved Drama actress, has a typical rags-to-riches story.
We kept quiet there. I looked at everyone's faces, looking down at their own feet. So, this is the feeling when you have lost someone who you thought that you've known forever. It must be hours ago since we got lost in thoughts, obviously about Wonhee. The next thing I knew is we were giggling, sad giggles, when we all sighed in unison.
"I'll be going now." Eunjung declared. "Vice-president is not around till next week so I'll be in charge of reading morning announcements."
"I have to study for the summer reading assessment test." JiEun quietly said before she walked towards the east wing of the school.
"Don't tell me that you are going to leave me, too." I warned Sooyeon but she didn't talk. Like she will ever go away from me.
"I don't have anything to do and besides, I don't want to leave you."
I shrugged and started to walk towards our classroom. Sooyeon followed, sighing.
"First day of high school," she uttered, hearing the whispers of people. Tch.
"I know." I rolled my eyes. I mean, I feel welcomed because they already know me.
Another year of iness. Another year of my fabulousness. Another year of—
"Kya~" Someone squealed. Is it because of me?
"They are here!" It is disgusting to see a girl squealing for another girl. I mean, am I that perfect?
"They're so cute.." What? Who are those people who tried to steal the attentions of my followers?
"B1A4!" The girls squealed at the same time Sooyeon whispered "B1A4"
B1A4. It's a stupid name of a group, right? You think it's cute? Well, I think your life . That's my brother's group. They made that name up. I don't know why they named their selves that. They never told me.
They are four in this group. Sandeul. Baro, my favorite frienemy. Gongchan, my baby. And, my brother, Shin Dong Woo. They are weird, so if you ever wished to hang out with them, then your life really . And, we can never ever hang out, like ever.
"Yah! YongJoo!" My brother called out. As if I'd talk to him at school. But, if I ignore him, he will tell Umma and I will be scolded about it, about my manners, about whatever-it-is-i-just-don't-give-a-.
"I told you not to talk to me at school." I hissed with my eyes glowering.
"That's inevitable." He shook his head, grinning. "Yoongie, you know Sandeul right?”
"Gosh." I dramatically exclaimed while Sandeul protests. He had a big crush on me during sixth grade, before I got sent to an all-girls school. Aish. I don't want to remember that. "I don't know if you're teasing or you're just completely stupid."
"I'm not stupid." Then, he grabbed a guy talking to Baro. "Yoongie, I want you to meet JinYoung."
I stared coldly at the guy, mentally noting that he is about three inches taller than me; and has a pair of fox-like eyes, with milky white skin, and chocolate brown hair. I also can't help noticing that he has, not one but, a pair of small black earrings. Yikes!
I didn't hear Dongwoo introducing me to this I-look-so-cool-because-I-have-earrings-looking guy until the guy offered his hand for me to shake it.I didn't took his hand, but, instead, I bowed slightly and uttered "Nice to meet you, JinYoung." In a tone of, at least, faux-but-not-obvious enthusiasm. I'm not really thrilled to meet another lame friend of my brother. 
"Another lame friend of my brother." I'm not saying that GongChan is lame. He doesn't count, of course, because he is cool, cool, and a friend of mine. Baro is semi-lame. Sandeul is semi-semi-lame. Don't ask why.
"That's all?" I asked. Without letting my brother talk, I scurried away after I said, "Bye." I heard him call me but I ignored it.
My first period is the performing arts subject where we will learn how to improve our talents and it's like a preparation for our careers. According to my brother, first day's only agenda is the orientation for tens with the help of eleventh grades. For seniors, they are having their performing arts subject in the practice room.
"Yoongie! Sooyeon!" I looked back and saw Eunjung running towards us, waving. We waited for her to catch up with us before we enter the auditorium. With the two of my now-four-membered posse, I strutted inside, showing people how fabulous and stunning I am. I can feel all eyes on me as we enter.
"Shin Yongjoo is so gorgeous," I heard someone gushed.
"Her shoes are so cool," a girl awed. I can feel her drooling for my black Jeffrey Campbell studded Litas. The school let me wear these babies because I am Shin Yongjoo.
"Yoongie," I saw Baro waving at us— or me. He's sitting on the front row, with Sandeul and that Jinny-guy. I wave back at him, with a genuine friendly smile. We made our way towards them when I found four vacant seats beside them.
A few minutes later, Ms. Song, our music teacher entered with a bright smile on her face. After her brief introduction about her and the subject, she asked the class As of tens and elevens to be in the first three rows of the auditorium. The class Bs (10-2 and 11-2), and Cs (10-3 and 11-3)  occupied the remaining rows. As usual, I'm on the front row.
She checked the attendance. After a few talks, she sent each classes to our rooms. I can't believe that ten and eleven are going to be in the same room.
"Shin YongJoo?" Ms. Song looked at me like I'm a long lost relative. She smiled and assigned me to lead the election for class president of both tenth grade and eleventh.
How did she know me? I don't know. But, I'm not surprise. Our family was the cover of Seoul Magazine last December, just when my sister was here in Seoul; and, our family picture was also featured in 10 Magazine and Groove when they interviewed my dad and my grandfather last month and last last week respectively. My paternal grandfather is really famous for having the most famous mall in Seoul next to Lotte and COEX. Meanwhile, my grandmothers, both maternal and paternal, are socialites (They are best friends before my parents got married) and known for 70's and 80's ambassadors for a lot of non-profit organizations like Korea Animal Rights Advocate, and for being the founders of Planet Hug, a big non-profit organization for ragamuffins. My grannies are just a typical filthy-rich-snob socialites so it's a great irony for them building the foundation. Anyway, I shouldn't be telling you that. Just don't tell anyone.
"The class president is Shin YongJoo," I demurred to Ms. Song, so they will think that they chose the right person, me. "And, the class president of class 11-A is Jung JinYoung." 
I thought he was Jiyeon or Juyoung and I didn't know that JinYoung is a Jung. My brother only introduced him to me as JinYoung. For this collaboration of classes, JinYoung will be my co-president-slash-partner-for-leading-the-class. I hate the sound of that. Every Monday on first period, our class and theirs (JinYoung's and his classmates') will be meeting here as "second homeroom" so the elevens will guide us for the performing arts program.
"Since you two are the presidents,” she stares at me and JinYoung. “I hope you’ll cooperate with each other and be in good terms. So, can I count on you?”
Yeah, right. I can't wait to cooperate with the bad boy wannabe, I sarcastically thought. As if.
"Okay. Let's change the seating arrangements." The teacher eagerly smiled, ignoring the complains of students. What is this? First grade? "Tens will be seated with elevens. What is this class for if your seats will stay like that?"
"YongJoo and JinYoung." What? Did I hear that right? My name and his in the same sentence?
"You two will stay near the window there.” She pointed the seat in the middle row. I don’t want to be seated beside him. SooYeon smiled at me. I guess my only option is to follow. I sat before him. YongJoo remember; don’t move your head to your right. Please, please.
After Ms. Song fixed the seats, she reminded us, “That will be your permanent seat and if we will have activities, you are partners” Omo, this is not happening. Partners?! Nooo! I accidentally moved my head to my right. He’s looking at me. The worse is we have an eye to eye contact. Again! Ew. Why is he staring at me? Did he finally decides that he is in love with me? But, I can't help but notice the scent . Usually, I hate men's perfume but he smell so good, I wonder what he is using. Ralph Lauren? Armani? Ferrari?
At last, the bell rang. We bid goodbye to Ms. Song and I gathered up SooYeon and Eunjung for our homeroom. Baro followed us while Sandeul and JinYoung left.
"I'm sitting beside Kim Jinho," SooYeon excitedly squeaked. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. I was about to comment about it, but Eunjung already said it all.
"Don't you already have a boyfriend?" She snapped. She is still upset for not being the class president.
"I just—" I didn't hear what Sooyeon said because I was focused on apologizing to Eunjung.
"I'm sorry, Eunjung." I'm half sorry because I also want to be a leader. I don't want to be the president if the bad boy wannabe is my partner.
She held up her hand and rolled her eyes. Whoa. Nobody does that to me. "I'm going to get over it. Later." She stopped by her locker, and Sooyeon accompanied her. Baro and I continued to walk towards our homeroom. I stopped for a moment when I saw who is sitting at the supposedly-to-be-my-seat.
AUTHOR NOTE : The details might not be the same to My Bad Girl but, it's the same time, the same day. I changed the Yongjoo's friends for some reasons.