Chapter 8

Something Like Love

           Chanyeol raised his legs on the bench that he is sitting at and hugged it. The temperature this morning is so cold. But he is enduring it because he wants to see the sunrise. The view in Kris’ veranda is so breathtaking.

            He didn’t get that much sleep last night because of what happened between him and Kris. He had introduced him to his secret world and had told him something he still wasn’t sure about until now. And to add into that, his legs were numb because of riding Shadowrun for almost an hour. Kris gave him a tour of the whole Exo Riding Club. And he can say that the club is more beautiful at nighttime.

            Or, his perspective of the club was much better because he is with the man that he loves.

            Chanyeol smiled. It was still clear in his memory when Kris tried to kiss him while they are looking at the view of the city. But it didn’t happen because his horse moved. Their moment was interrupted.

            But if Kris tries to kiss me again, I wouldn’t mind at all!

 

            “Good morning, Yeol.” Kris sat on the other end of the bench. He placed a cup of coffee between them and looked at the view in his veranda. “Pretty, isn’t it?”

            “Yeah.”

            “You woke up early today. You weren’t able to sleep well last night?”

            “Yeah, kind of. I have difficulty in sleeping if I wasn’t in my own bed.”

            “Why didn’t you experience it when we were in my house in Seoul?”

            Chanyeol just shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe because we almost strangle each other there. While here, we are agreeing on each other and not arguing. Am I making sense? How about you? Why did you wake up early?”

            “It’s kind of strange because this is the first time that I’m here with someone on my house.”

            Chanyeol looked at Kris. Does it mean that there’s no one else that stepped on Kris’ house? Even Mei Fen. Chanyeol’s mood brightens.

            “I just noticed this, why don’t you want a companion? You don’t have guestrooms in your house here and in Seoul.”

             “I just don’t like having someone messing my life. I want a peaceful life.”

            “We’re the same. The difference is that I don’t have my own house. I’m still living with my father.”

            “Speaking of your father, have you talked already?”

            Chanyeol looked at the view in front of him. “Not yet. He’s not calling me since he left Seoul.”

            “Why don’t you call him first?”

            “I can’t. I might disturb him.”

            “That’s impossible. What kind of parent does not want to talk with their children especially if they are in different countries?”

            “My father wouldn’t.” Chanyeol tightly hugged himself to ease the coldness. “Do you know the real reason why I agreed on marrying you is that I want to prove something to my family? Since my mother died, I’ve been the constant headache of our family.”

            “You’re a rebel? It’s not obvious.”

            “I didn’t plan to be a rebel in my family, really. I’m old enough to know what’s going on. It’s just that, they don’t give me a chance to prove to them that I can take care of myself. Until now, they still see me as a teenager that brings nothing but chaos.”

            “Are they right of their assumptions?”

            “On why am I doing mischief? I’m not doing it to annoy them. It’s my way of showing them that I can solve my own problems. But they never took notice. I really sulked when they decided to marry me off, just to get rid of their problem. They didn’t even bother to know what I feel when they decided to make that decision for me.”

            “If you’re so against the wedding, why didn’t you tell them?”

            “They never bothered asking.”

            “You should have at least tried telling them.”

            “I don’t want to waste time because they won’t listen anyway. I was so angry at them. If my mom is still alive, she won’t let me marry someone that I don’t know. She would let me decide for myself even though I fail. But my mom, in her own little ways, she taught me how to stand up if I fail. She taught me how to be a fighter.”

            “If so, why don’t you fight for your right to choose on whom will you marry?”

            “I was after the money, really. We both know that. I would use that as a stepping-stone to make them realize that I can do things on my own. If the restaurant becomes successful, I have a concrete evidence to show them.”

            He heard Kris sigh. “The truth is, I look at you the same as how your family does. At first, I thought you are just a happy-go-lucky guy that does nothing but give headache to people around him. When I heard what you have said just now, I understand you. So if I were you, I would tell my family all what you have said to me and I’m sure that they will understand you too.”

            Chanyeol already thought about it. Maybe he will just talk to his father when he arrives from the US.

            “How about you, Kris? Are you not angry for what your father has done? He forced you into this marriage, right?”

            “No. Since I was a kid, I already know about this agreement between our fathers. My father made me aware that when the right time comes, I will be married to a person that I don’t love or I don’t even know. So when that time comes, I already accepted it.”

            “Why? Don’t you know that what they are doing is meddling with your life?”

            “I’m already old. I know what I’m doing. If ever I didn’t agree on Dad’s plans, he will understand.”

            “Ah, right. You’re taking in consideration your father’s health.”

            “It’s not just that. I’m agreeing to this marriage because I want it.”

            “H-huh?”

            “And anyway, it’s just for six months so let’s enjoy ourselves while we’re at it.”

            Chanyeol agreed. Six months. He’s okay with that. After that, come what may. He’ll just enjoy his remaining moments with Kris while there is still time.

            “Can I have your coffee, Kris? It’s so cold here.”

            “You’re really crazy, Yeol. You’re cold and yet you didn’t tell me.” Kris picked up his coffee and sat next to him. Then he wrapped his arms around Chanyeol.

            “Ah, this feels good.”

            “You really should have told me earlier that you feel cold. I think my jaw locked because of this coldness.”

            “You are the one that’s crazy!”

            “Let’s just go inside, Yeol. Why are we here suffering in the cold, anyway?”

            “I prefer to be here.” Chanyeol pressed his body to Kris. “I like your body heat better.”

            “Hmm.” Kris tightened his hug to Chanyeol. “You’re right.”

            Life could really be this good sometimes. And he was just so happy that he experienced it with him. He loves Kris. And maybe after six months, no one will replace Kris in his heart. What Chanyeol thought is that his moment with Kris will last for an hour. But he is so wrong. He heard someone cleared their throat. When Chanyeol looked at that intruder, he saw Mei Fen standing with the sliding door open.

            How did she come in?

            “I was calling for someone earlier and no one’s answering so I came in when I saw that the door is open.” Mei Fen said. “I’m sorry. Am I interrupting something?”

            “No.” Kris let go of Chanyeol and stood up. “By the way, you don’t know each other yet, right? Mei Fen, this is Chanyeol. My–”

            “We already met.” Mei Fen cut in. “Kris, I’m really sorry. But I really want to continue our session today at the racetrack. Our meeting is always postponed.”

            “Chanyeol was sick. I can’t leave him alone here. But he’s okay now. So, we can continue our session. I’ll just change–”

            Chanyeol held Kris’ hand. Kris looked at him in wonder. “Don’t go, Kris.”

            Six months is all that he has, he won’t let Mei Fen take part with his little time with Kris.

            “Yeol–”

            “Don’t go.”

            “Why, are you still sick?”

            Chanyeol just shook his head. “Please, just… just don’t go.”

            “Kris, you promised to teach me horseback riding. It looks like your husband is not sick anymore so let’s go. You already promised me to take me on a lesson today. Don’t tell me you will break your promise again?”

            Kris is just looking at Chanyeol. While he just stared back at Kris. He wants Kris to know what he feels even without speaking to him.       

            Don’t go with her. Please choose me.

 

            Kris’ hand slowly move to remove Chanyeol’s hands on him. “I’ll be back, Chanyeol.”

            No, you won’t, Kris. Chanyeol said to himself while watching Kris go with the one that he truly loves. You still love Mei Fen. She is still in your heart. If that’s the case, why is Kris making him feel that there is something special between them? Chanyeol could feel it. He could see it in Kris’ eyes and on the way he talked to him.

            Why does it still have to be Mei Fen?

            Chanyeol just focused on the sun that is starting to rise. The whole place just lightened up and he can see the beauty of the riding club. But he can’t see the beauty of the place. His eyes are starting to blur because of his tears.

           

-----------------------------

 

 

            “Chanyeol! It’s a great timing that you’re here!” That’s Kai. He saw Chanyeol at the Rider’s Veranda, a restaurant at the club. “The crews have just arrived for the commercial that we are doing. But before we start the shoot, I want to see you ride a horse.”

            “I don’t know how to ride a horse.”

            “Your husband didn’t teach you?”

            Chanyeol glanced at the outdoor arena. He saw Kris is busy teaching Mei Fen. “He’s teaching someone else.”

            Chanyeol thinks he’s a masochist. Because instead of avoiding the scene that he is seeing right now, he prefers to watch it.

            “Don’t worry. I’ll be the one that will teach you.” Kai held his arm. “Let’s go.”     

            “But–”

            “No buts, Chanyeol. I’m in a hurry. I want the commercial to be released in time with the summer month.”

            He saw two club members on their way outside.

            “Kyuhyun, Heechul, come with us.”

            “Why?”

            “What’s happening?” Kai looked at Kyuhyun. “You’ll elope with Chanyeol? Does Kris know about this?”

            “This is fun. I’ll tell him.”

            “Guys, not now.” Kai said. “Just go with me so that we can teach Chanyeol how to ride a horse as soon as possible.”

            “Kris is one of the best riders here. Why can’t he teach his own husband?”

            “He’s busy teaching someone else.” Chanyeol piped. “Mei Fen.”

            Kyuhyun and Heechul looked at each other. Kai pulled Chanyeol. “If you don’t want it, then fine. I’ll do it. Just follow me at the dressage arena. We will do the commercial there. And please call the other members.”

            “Even Kris?”

            “All of them.”

            “Don’t disturb Kris.” Chanyeol said. “He’s busy.”

            “Oh, don’t worry. We’ll take care of him.” Then Kyuhyun shouted at Kris. “Kris! Kai plans to elope with your husband!”

            “Kai is just shy to ask for permission.” Heechul continued. “He hopes that it’s okay with you.”

            “What are you two doing?” He asked Heechul and Kyuhyun.

            “Just let them do what they want, Chanyeol.” Kai pulled him again. “They just don’t know what to do with their lives. Let’s go.”

            When they arrived at the dressage arena wherein the fences are lower compared to the racetracks, a chestnut-colored horse with braided hair and tail is waiting for them.

            “This is my Arabian stallion, Beast.” Kai introduced his horse. “He’s one of the best horses here. He can carry any riders. So don’t worry about him.”

            “I know. I have already ridden the horse of Kris.”

            “Shadowrun? Oh, that’s good. Our horses have the same temperament. It is settled then. Just place your left foot here on the stirrup. Then slowly swing your right leg at Beast’s back. You can do it. It’s easy.”

            “But…”

            “I’ll give you boost.”

            “What?”

            Kai went behind him. “Boost. Like a support, so that you can easily get on the back of Beast.”

            “Uh…” Kai placed his hands at Chanyeol’s waist.

            After a few seconds, Chanyeol heard Kris’ booming voice. “Kai! Get your hands off my husband!”

 

-----------------------------

 

LMAO!!! Evil Kyuhyun and Heechul! So, we're down to the last 2 chapters of this story. I really don't want to end this but the novel has only 10 chapters. But don't worry, I'm working on the next story. And it's KaiSoo!!! So yeah, I hope you'll enjoy this chapter. Kamsahamnida!~