Chapter 3

Something Like Love

            Chanyeol is sitting on the visitor’s chair and Kris is sitting behind his table while looking intently at him. When Kris’ father left, he said that they need to talk for a while.

            For a while? He glanced at the wall clock on the left side of the wall.

            “What? So we’re just going to stare at each other? You better pay for my time because I should be doing more important things right now.”

            “Why do you always care about money?”

            He scoffed. “Well, what do you want me to do? I already said what I wanted to say so I’ll go now. Bye!”

            “Why did you agree to this marriage, Chanyeol?” He looked at Kris. “Are you really that bored that you’ll let anyone mess up your life?”

            “Are you really asking me or are you asking yourself?”

            “I’m the one who threw the question.”

            What a jerk. “No, I’m not bored with my life.”

            “So what’s your reason?”

            “Is it not obvious already? It’s because of money, of course. It’s the only thing that I can get out of this marriage.”

            “You’re throwing away your freedom for the sake of money?” It looks like Kris can’t believe what he just said earlier.

            “Why, what answer do you expect? That I’ll marry you because I love you? Duh. In the first place I don’t even like you.”

            “Same here. So, everything is clear between us.”

            “Actually, not yet.” If Kris thinks that he can control him then he’s wrong. And it’s better to let him know about it. “How about you, Kris? Why did you agree on this setup? As what I’ve seen from you, you are not the type of man who lets anyone mess up with your life.”

            “I don’t want to disappoint my parents, especially my father. When I was still a kid, I already know that I will marry his friend’s son. Which is you.”

            “You look like you’re disappointed.”

            “My feelings have nothing to do with this. My parents are the most important to me. My father is ill. After he saw us earlier, I’m sure that he’s really happy because he wanted us to meet each other. I once gave him a problem, and it almost cost him his life. I don’t want that to happen again. Now, six months is already a long time for us to be spending time together. I’m sure our parents won’t wonder why our marriage will not work out.”

            “So, we’re divorcing after six months?”

            “Irreconcilable differences. I’m sure that the court will accept that reason. With your attitude–”

            “And your attitude,” he piped.

            “With your attitude,” he emphasized, he looks like he doesn’t want to lose. “They can accept that we tried to know each other and live together but we can’t seem to agree with each other. In six months, we can both get our freedom.”

            It looks like he’s at a disadvantage of their setup. “Here’s my plan. I will agree with all that you have said, but I want to get something out of this marriage.”

            “`Sounds fair enough.”

            Somehow, he was a bit shaken with what Kris has said. There was no trace of distress on that handsome face. He was not worried that Chanyeol could get all of his money. He was that financially stable?

            Hmm, this is getting better and better.

            “So that’s it, huh?” Kris said. “No interfering with each other’s lives or whatsoever. Just because we married each other, it doesn’t mean that we can meddle at each other’s lives. Leave me alone and I’ll do the same to you. I’m saying this so that everything would be clear. I don’t want us to hide everything from each other and blame each other because of that. I don’t want any trouble.”

            “No interfering with each other’s lives. Okay, deal!”

            Kris accepted his outstretched hand. He’s not quite sure what had just happened but the moment their hands touched, something happened. Both of them looked at their hands.

            It was like there was a faint spark that lit up when their hands touched. They looked at each other and asked what had happened. But both of them can’t answer it so they just let go of each other.

            “Oh, by the way, I want you to let me have the Baltimore’s Place.” Chanyeol said. “That’s the first thing that I want to claim.”

            “Why are you so eager to get it? What are you going to do with that place?”

            “That’s none of your business.”

            “It is. Since my company would expand and that building spot is perfect for me to start my expansion.”

            He stood up. “I thought that we agreed on no meddling with each other’s lives.”

            “Business is another matter.”

            This jerk! He really wants to punch him in the face. He’s the only one that will benefit from their deal. Hah! As if Chanyeol would let that happen.

            “Okay, then good luck to you and your family. I’ll go to the media. I’ll be having a press conference about your relationship with Mei Fen and how she rejected your marriage proposal.”       

            He headed for the door when he noticed that criminal look in Kris’ eyes. He braced himself. If that man dares to hurt him, he will punch him straight in the face. He might regret that he’ll mess up that handsome face, but he can’t do anything. His mother brought him up to be a fighter when she was still alive. And his father and brothers’ insensitiveness hardened that resolve.

            But he’s near the door when he felt a hand on his arm. And for the second time, he felt that faint spark again. It looks like Kris had felt it too because he quickly removed his hand. But he didn’t let him go when he blocked the door with his arm.

            “My personal life had nothing to do with us and our situation, Mr. Park Chanyeol. So if you don’t want your life to be messed up, just mind your own business. I’ll say this again and I’ll say it for the last time. Don’t meddle with my private affairs.”

            “Or else what? You know Mr. Wu Yifan, you are too conceited. What you only want is that you’ll always have the upper hand even though we are equal. Well, I’m sorry to say this but we are just the same. You are not my father so why should I follow you? If you want this setup to work, then you should act like you’re not the only one who’s in control of this situation.” He removed Kris’ arm on the doorframe. “If you can’t accept that then go marry yourself.”

            Then he walked out towards the elevator with his head held up high. He saw Kris looking at him and frowning. He’s really annoyed with him so he spoke to him for the last time.

            “You’re so full of yourself! So you deserved to be heartbroken.” The elevator door slowly closed and he saw Kris dashed towards him. He stuck out his tongue to him. “Beh!”

 

-----------------------------

 

            “You really look good, Sir.”

            Chanyeol just ignored his stylist that keeps on showering him with praises. He’s busy with writing in his small notebook.

            Today, he and Kris will be married. He doesn’t know what made Kris change his mind and he gave him Baltimore’s Place. He knew that Kris gave it to him because he went to their house with his parents. They never talked back then. But Kris’ willingness to be married to him is an enough assurance that Chanyeol will get what he wants. And here he is, making a list of what he wants and doesn’t want to get in this marriage. Kris also did the same thing. He has Kris’ list in his hands.

            He continues to write in his notebook. “I want a room of my own… no one can enter my room… Hmm, what else? Ah! No borrowing of stuff – spoon, fork, plate, towels, toothbrush, pillow, blanket, shirt, pants, and boxer briefs.”

            He grinned at what he wrote. What will be Kris’ reaction if he read his list?

            Nothing, because that person is a rock.

            But he doesn’t erase that. He wants to annoy Kris. The woman was already finished styling him but he’s still not finished with his list. His back is starting to hurt because he is sitting for a long time so he stood up and paced around the room while thinking of what else he could add to the list. Until he felt that someone is watching him.

             And true enough, Kris was standing at the door, leaning against the door frame, watching him. He was so good-looking in his white tuxedo, even with that serious look on his face.

            He braced himself for Kris’ sarcastic comments so that he can answer back because he’s already used to it. But a few minutes have passed; Kris is still looking at him intently without saying anything. He started to feel uneasy.

            Which is should not be happening. So he decided to break the silence.

            “Did you know that we can’t see each other before the wedding ceremony? It’s bad luck.”

            “No.” He crossed his arms and just stared at Chanyeol.

            He’s really feeling uneasy right now. “Why are you here? What do you want? Are you going to cancel the wedding?”

            “Why would I do that? I should be worried about you because you might run away from me like what you have done before. I won’t let that happen since I already invested on you. You already got Baltimore’s Place.”

            “Which is the right thing to do.” Kris is still watching him. “Why are you looking at me like that? What is your problem?”

            Kris just shrugged. “Nothing. I’m just checking if you’ll wear a wedding dress. Wedding dress will suit you more, you know.”

            “What?”

            “Oh, well.” He started to walk back where he came from. “I’ll see you at the altar.”

            He gritted his teeth. What does he mean by that? Dresses suit him better? Before Kris could get any further, Chanyeol removed his shoe and threw it with so much force at Kris’ direction. The shoe hit his back.

            Kris slowly turned around to face him. It looks like he’s irritated. But he didn’t raise his voice. “This is your wedding day, so I’ll just let you do what you want. I’ll let you live your dream even just for a while.”

            “Hey, for your information, you are the one that should wear a wedding dress.” He walked towards the door and slammed it shut. “The nerve of that !”

            The thought of leaving Kris alone and let him humiliate himself already crossed his mind. But he immediately dismissed the idea when he thought about his family. He’s sure that they will have something to say about his attitude. And besides, Kris’ father is ill. He is a rebel, not a criminal. He doesn’t want other people to get harmed because of him.

            “Then Wu Yifan, I’ll make sure you’ll suffer.” He vowed while clutching at his notebook. “I’ll make sure to make your life a living hell!”

            He is an expert on giving headaches to other people, that’s why his family gave up on him. Now that he’ll not have any financial problems anymore, he’s free to shower that guy with headaches and troubles.

            “Sir, the car is ready.” His driver said. “Mr. Wu has already left so we need to leave.”

            “Okay, I’ll just look for my shoe…”

 

-----------------------------

 

            “You look handsome, son.”

            Chanyeol just nodded at his father’s remark while waiting inside the car. They are already outside the church. But he’s worried because no matter how hard he tried to search for his shoe, he was not able to see it.

            “I’m sure that your mother is very proud of you, Chanyeol.”

            Darn it! It’s really embarrassing to all of the people there. Especially to the media that will cover their wedding. Why did they invite them anyway? He didn’t want the whole world to watch his wedding with that Kris guy. He finally gets off the car. He noticed that the people started to whisper at each other.

            “I’m sure that you’ll understand our decision for you, Chanyeol. This is for you own good.” Until now, his father has not noticed that he doesn’t have his other shoe.

            He sighed. He’ll just walk towards the altar with a missing shoe. I don’t care anymore.

            “He left his shoe.”

            “They say that it’s a bad luck for the both of them.’

            “Please, look for his shoes! He needs to wear it!”

            Great. Now what? He’s ready to enter the car again to go back to the hotel to search for his shoe when he noticed that all of the visitors’ attention was turned to the man at the altar.

            He saw Kris walking towards him. He was walking like some royal prince, as flashes of cameras shone everywhere. He stopped in front of him and kneeled, with his lost shoe on Kris’ hands.

            Chanyeol automatically raised his foot and Kris put the shoe on him.

            “Aaahh! That’s so sweet!” He heard a female visitor said it. “It’s the same on what I have read on fairytales.”

            “That’s really good…” Another visitor has said.

            Kris looked up at him and smiled. He suddenly felt that his heart skipped a beat. If he didn’t know that all of this is for a show for the visitors and his family, he might have liked him. Because the creep was really a certified hunk!

            He slowly stood up and turned to Chanyeol’s father.  “I’ll wait for your son at the altar, Sir.”

            “You’ll have my son, Kris.”

            Chanyeol looked at Kris. The man just smiled at him. This loser! He’s really into this drama, huh.

            “I’ll see you there.”

            You thought you’re the only one who can put on a show? Watch me. Chanyeol smiled sweetly and placed his palm on Kris’ face. “Wait for me.”

            He noticed that Kris froze. Maybe he’s not expecting Chanyeol to do that. So that silenced you, huh? Don’t you dare challenge me, Kris. Because I don’t have any plans on backing out!

 

-----------------------------

 

Another update! Woohoo! I want to thank all of the people who have read, commented, subscribed and upvoted this story. I really really really appreciate it guys. Thank you very much! Saranghaeyo!!! ❤❤❤