Serve Me

The Servant [HIATUS]

 

Serve Me

 

“May I come in?”

 

Kyungsoo is sure he’s wide awake by now. All the lethargy he thinks he’s been having all gone as the door opens. A man lets himself in, all clad in a navy blue suit and a bowtie, and Kyungsoo squints at the lights coming into the room, too glaring. He is certain he doesn't grant him any permission to step in, though.

 

The man snaps the door close and struts along to pull the curtains. Kyungsoo groans under his breath and buries his face into the pillow to avoid the sun this time.

 

“It’s time to wake up.”

 

At those words, the younger heaves up his torso and turns his head to see the newcomer, finally taking in the sight of the man in front of him. In his half hazy state, he thinks he’s seen the face before. “You’re not Auntie.” Kyungsoo thinks out loud, and as he makes a once-over, familiarity sinks in and he almost flushes.

 

The man chuckles politely and it reverberates throughout the interior of the room, more so in the quiet morning. “Of course not. We met the day before yesterday.”

 

Kyungsoo glares at the man cautiously anyway, keeping himself on guard because he least expects the man to be here. He looks around the room and at the door. “That doesn't explain why you’re in my room. Where’s Auntie?”

 

The man merely grins as he gathers the dirty pile of clothing on the floor. “She’s on a vacation. I’m taking her place for now.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns, suddenly remembering he had asked his father about where Mrs. Joo went to. He clears his throat, needing more confirmation. “Did my father assign you to this task?”

 

“Yes, he did.” After putting the dirty clothes into the basket, he walks towards the edge of the bed and crouches a bit as he approaches the younger boy who succeeds in leaning back and away from him. He holds out a hand tenderly. “Come, let’s wash up.”

 

“I’ll be fine on my own.” Kyungsoo glowers at the hand and sinks himself into the covers, hiding his coloured cheeks.

 

The man grins, letting his hand fall to his side. “Suit yourself.”

 

“What do I call you.” Kyungsoo brings himself to ask when he’s stepped out of his safe distance. He is certain his father had mentioned it to him the other day but he couldn't have it in his mind to remember exactly.

 

“Ah, it’s Jongin. Kim Jongin,” Jongin smiles sincerely at him.

 

With a stubborn glower on his face, he briefly wonders why a man looking barely around his age is working here instead of at mainstream places like restaurants or, well, somewhere else. Heck, he wonders if he’s still in college. If Kyungsoo were him, he would’ve been partying like crazy.

 

Kyungsoo keeps his gaze on Jongin who’s looking around as if searching for something, seems like he’s exploring the room to get familiar with it.

 

He merely stays under the covers, watching in silence as the man flicks on the switch of the bathroom and prepares a fresh towel. From the bed, Kyungsoo can hear the faucet being twisted open and water swooshing out of it into the tub. He’s probably setting up a warm bath. Kyungsoo has half a mind to tell the guy that he usually just goes for shower on school days, but it’s been a fair while since he last took a bath in the morning. When he glances at the clock, he still has some time to kill.

 

While waiting for the water to reach half of the brim, Jongin makes his way out and picks up some fallen books on the floor. Proceeding to the study desk, he scans the many pigeonholes.

 

“Just put it on the desk.” Kyungsoo blurts out before raising his covers to his nose again.

 

Jongin looks back and sends an appreciative smile as he does so. He then tidies the books and puts them in a stack before pushing the chair forward into the desk.

 

He rushes back to the bathroom to turn the faucet off. When he walks out, Jongin gives an expectant upturn to his lips.

 

Hesitantly, Kyungsoo’s eyes flicker from the door to the man, voicing out. “Um, will you go now?”

 

Though a bit taken aback, Jongin doesn't let it stop him from enquiring. “I’ve set up the tub. I’m going to make the bed now.” He says calmly as he gestures to the object.

 

“You- You set up the tub?” The younger’s eyes grow large at the announcement. He doesn't usually take baths on weekdays.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin apologizes, looking rather confused. “Should I have not?”

 

“Uh, I’d prefer a shower…”

 

“I see. Then, let me clear the tub in a second—”

 

“No, wait, just,” Kyungsoo has a hand in the air, a very defeated expression on his face. “Just leave it be.”

 

Jongin doesn't look too convinced for the first few seconds, but relents anyway. “Alright, then.”

 

When there’s no sign of Jongin going off to busy himself with other things, Kyungsoo clears his throat to gain his attention.

 

“I’m…,” The younger male lowers the tone of his voice that it almost comes out as a mumble. “…notwearinganypants.” If it were Auntie, the boy wouldn’t have minded too much; the old lady has seen him since toddler days.

 

Jongin finally makes an understanding face and nods, a professional smile still intact. “Ah, let me get a robe for you.” He shifts on his feet to do so when Kyungsoo makes an unrecognizable noise in the back of his throat, effectively stopping him.

 

As he turns to look back, the younger boy is bending over and has his face planted in his duvet, most probably muffling his groans and Jongin flinches just a bit, startled.

 

“…Should I not get a robe for you at all?”

 

As if completely done with making his mouth work to deliver the message, Kyungsoo pulls the covers and drapes it all over himself. After much movements under the covers, as witnessed by Jongin with a puzzled expression marred on his face, the younger male finally pops his face in a small makeshift hood, further accentuating his owlish eyes and plump cheeks with a hint of shine from pre-wash up blemish.

 

Struggling to free his trapped legs underneath, Kyungsoo scoots closer to the edge of the bed, all the while have his hands fastened around the edges of the duvet to keep it secure around his small frame. Although he has a shirt on, he refuses to just wrap his lower half because that somehow makes him feel all the more exposed to the stranger in the room, despite having mentioned that he’s pants free earlier. Also, there’s the danger of it slipping off his waist and who knows what level of humiliation would he have to start the day with.

 

Finally freeing his legs, he gets up from the bed, the covers dragging on the floor as he waddles his way to the bathroom in timid steps due to restricted movement in the material, occasionally stepping on it by accident but quick to regain his posture. He unconsciously has a pout plastered on his face as he fights not to spare any glance towards the currently perplexed servant.

 

By the time he reaches the bathroom, he feels all stuffy and merely kicks the door close, having to open it again because the covers got caught by the door, and butts it back close with much finality.

 

A brief silence follows, with Jongin standing in the middle of the room, dumbfounded. Though there’s an obvious rustling sounds over the bathroom door, Kyungsoo probably undoing the tangle in his own sheets.

 

As Kyungsoo lets go of the material, feet victoriously standing wide on the floor with his legs in all their splendor, he eyes the tub.

 

“He really did the tub,” He whispers in astonishment, eyeing the clear water and the row of small tubes of bubble baths at the side, presumably arranged by Jongin earlier having not known what Kyungsoo prefers. “That’s nice.”

 

Kyungsoo is just about to take off his shirt when a soft knock lands on the bathroom door, startling him and causing him to pull his shirt back down as if he was coerced into his defensive mode.

 

He shoots an accusing glare at the innocent door, a bit pink on the face.

 

“Do you perhaps need my assistance in there—”

 

I’ll be fine!

 

-

 

The bath is so refreshing that Kyungsoo forgets about the new changes regarding the people in charge of his welfare. So when he steps out of the bathroom with just a towel clad around his slender waist, he almost jumps a meter in the air when Jongin merely stands there with his pressed school uniform in hand, expectant.

 

Subconsciously, Kyungsoo has his arms around his torso, slightly bending over as if it could diminish the amount of skin revealed to the taller, to which seems to have no effect on him.

 

Snatching the article of clothing from Jongin’s hand, Kyungsoo slams the door shut in his face, making the taller recoil in surprise, eyes wide.

 

A good five seconds later though, the shorter timidly opens it back and stretches a hand to grab his school tie that didn't manage to be snatched before, then pushing the door close with more tenderness this time, as if silently apologizing to Jongin for having slammed the door close in his face due to embarrassment earlier.

 

-

 

The collar of his shirt is still up as he swings the end of his tie around his neck, inspecting it for a short moment before trying to knot it up. After many failed attempts, he huffs and merely let it hang loose on his neck.

 

When he cracks open the door, he doesn’t see any trace of the new guy; what is left is a very properly made up bed and a clear study desk and the floor is void of any dust. He steps into his room to make a dash for his phone on the nightstand when there’s a voice behind him.

 

“I’m informed you may need assistance with the tie.”

 

Holy—” Kyungsoo visibly jumps with the face of pure shock, turning around to see the servant standing pliantly, as if ready to serve. Kyungsoo has a hand clutched on his chest, letting out a harsh breath.

 

The younger male closes his eyes to get himself together; he was just about to let out some cussing string and that’s not good. When he opens them, Jongin is grinning as if he did not just startle the life out of Kyungsoo.

 

“…You’re still here.”

 

“My shift has yet to end.” He smiles softly.

 

“Well um, okay,” Kyungsoo goes to retrieve his phone, tie still dangling loosely around his neck as he struts back to Jongin. “Did Mrs. Joo tell you? About…” He gestures to the tie on his neck.

 

“She did,” When Jongin’s hands start to work around the material of Kyungsoo’s tie, the shorter boy distracts himself by playing with his phone. Still, the awkwardness of it all doesn't seem to seep away any moment soon, and Kyungsoo finds himself red in the cheeks when the taller boy stands too close, eyes hooded as they’re focused on his tie and breath fanning over Kyungsoo’s forehead.

 

What should’ve been an only five second act feels like an entire five minutes to Kyungsoo who is only capable of holding his gaze on the floor as if it could swallow him whole.

 

“There.”

 

Kyungsoo makes the mistake of looking up at the charming smile adorning the taller’s face, then quickly averts his eyes, murmuring a small ‘thanks’.

 

It is way too early for Kyungsoo to be so mind-cluttered.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo drops his backpack on his desk and drags the chair, earning Minseok’s attention who has been reading a comic book while waiting for the teacher to come.

 

“Your tie is not crooked.” Minseok notices.

 

“Thanks. I did it by myself.”

 

Minseok looks somewhere down. “And your laces are nicely tied.”

 

“That, too.”

 

“Have you received your new maid?” Minseok questions, putting down his comic book and not even doubting the way Kyungsoo sends a small offended glare his way when he refuses to believe Kyungsoo does it by himself. Well, it isn’t true, anyway.

 

Sitting down, the raven-haired boy gives a long look at the empty whiteboard ahead, sighing. “Good guess.”

 

“You don't look too happy, though.”

 

“I’m not sure if I should be,” Shrugging, Kyungsoo fishes for his phone from his pocket and uses the screen as a makeshift mirror while he fixes his already orderly bangs.

 

“Is she as old and fussy as Mrs. Joo?”

 

“Nothing quite like her. In fact, it’s a he.”

 

Minseok blinks stupidly before catches on. “Then, you’ve got a manservant!”

 

“Maid, manservant, same difference.” The latter shrugs half-heartedly.

 

“How old is he?” For some reason, Minseok seems more eager as he starts to throw more questions Kyungsoo’s way. “Is he young? Old enough to be your uncle?”

 

Kyungsoo has to shove him off when the elder gets too excited and starts to hover above him. “Sit down.”

 

And Minseok does, like a puppy being ordered to sit, still eyeing Kyungsoo expectantly, also like a puppy waiting to receive its treat.

 

When Minseok shows no sign of impatience, Kyungsoo finally answers. “Probably younger than Luhan-hyung.”

 

“Oh my god. Is he good-looking?”

 

“I am not answering that, Minseok.”

 

“He is!” The other boy chirps, leaning forward in his chair. “You’ve got to on your Skype tonight. I’m gonna see this guy.”

 

“You’re not seeing anyone. And I’m not going on Skype tonight.”

 

“What will you be doing?” Minseok frowns.

 

“I’ll be studying, of course.”

 

“Since when do you study?”

 

“You’re not gonna see him. I’m not allowing that.” Kyungsoo shakes his head, ignoring the last question. This is also for his own good if he doesn't want to be teased by his friends over some hot guy working at his household. His friends know no chill.

 

Pouting, Minseok goes back to leaning in his chair. “Possessive already, I see.”

 

“For the record, I am not possessive.”

 

-

 

The three of them haul together at a table far at some corner to avoid prying eyes and ears, as they usually do. They fall into a comfortable pace in their conversation.

 

“Guys,” Minseok swallows his stuffed bread before continuing. “What is your opinion of blindfolds?”

 

Baekhyun places his chopsticks on the table rather harshly, face unimpressed and rather like that of a disappointed wife. “Why are you telling us about your life?”

 

“No, I’m not. Why are you assuming it’s got something to do with my life?”

 

With a raised eyebrow, Baekhyun gives a pointed look at the shorter. “What else do you use blindfolds for?”

 

“…Sleeping?” Minseok shrugs and Baekhyun groans while muttering something under his breath that sounds like ‘you use eye mask for sleeping, not blindfolds, idiot’.

 

“Blindfolds, you say?” Kyungsoo gives it a long thought as he chews on his fishcake, finally breaking out of his reverie and memories of a particular tall guy. “They make you temporarily blind.”

 

“You don’t say.” The other two deadpan, in unison.

 

Minseok looks around before lowering his voice. “I looked up Luhan’s browsing history on my laptop and there’s bunch of pages on eBay with blindfolds and cute blindfolds to y blindfolds. Should I be scared of him?”

 

“You… probably should.” Kyungsoo gives him a blank stare. “Why would he want to buy those things online anyway? Just use a necktie or something. Saves the hassle.” He grumbles quietly.

 

“That dude seems to have many kinks up his sleeve. You should be scared of him, Minseok.” Baekhyun crosses his arms on his chest.

 

“Heard someone talkin’ ‘bout me.” A wild Luhan appears at their table, sipping on his canned coffee while delivering that patronizing gaze he always gives when he’s teaching in class.

 

Minseok hangs his head down, a slight pink tainting his cheeks.

 

“Minnie said you’re trying out some new stuff. Where are you having all these ideas from, hyung?”

 

“It’s Mr. Lu for you and I don't even wanna know how many times I’ve repeated that. Well anyway, there’s this something called , and if you ask me, it’s a thrill trying out these things. I recommend you give it a shot.” He whispers at the last bit, adding an exaggerated wink that makes his face contort uglily.

 

“Thanks, but no thanks.” Baekhyun holds up his arms defensively in the air. “And if I do figure out what my inner beast in me wants, I wouldn't wanna hear it from you.”

 

“Well, you’re missing out. Oh, I’m sorry. Let me rephrase that. You will be missing out so, heads up.” The half-fifty year-old teacher waltzes away from the three students, giving snide remarks to passerbys here and there, mostly students and staffs who can only gape at him in perplexity.

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes, picking his chopsticks back up. “I sometimes wonder why he’s even teaching.”

 

“Well, you should be glad he’s not teaching the human anatomy.” Kyungsoo says impassively, resuming his noodles.

 

“I’d be glad to study your anatomy,” Chanyeol decides to pass by at that moment, a tray of food in hand.

 

Kyungsoo flips him off with the finger, earning an annoying cackle from the taller.

 

“Nasty,” Baekhyun remarks when Chanyeol is out of hearing range, now sitting at a table full of loud boys from the basketball team. “Why is he so persistent in getting in your pants.”

 

“You tell me.” Kyungsoo brings back his focus to his noodles.

 

“Jonghyun’s there.”

 

“Shut up, Baek.” He doesn't need to be reminded of the fact that he’s there, alright.

 

“Oh, look at him gossiping with that giant elf.”

 

Kyungsoo has half a mind to strangle Baekhyun right then and there because his eyes accidentally flick up to the table with the loudest boys in the school. They’re mostly from the basketball team and the rugby team. There is a small silence before they burst into hoots and other annoying noises as if they’re highly amused by something stupid their friends said. Kyungsoo can’t even make out what Chanyeol is shouting.

 

When Jonghyun sends him a knowing glance, Kyungsoo returns a small glare before going back to his noodles.

 

“Jongdae’s a bit quiet, though.” Baekhyun chirps.

 

At the foreign name, Kyungsoo frowns. “Who’s Jongdae?”

 

“Don’t you know him, Kyungsoo? He’s Baek’s new boy!” Minseok proclaims rather excitedly.

 

“He plays rugby.” Baekhyun shrugs, but there’s a tiny proud smile playing on his lips. “He’s the center.”

 

Minseok responds with a knowing oooh while Kyungsoo tries to locate and identify this Jongdae guy until Baekhyun discreetly points to him.

 

“Why do I just know of this? Is that why you’ve been on your phone lately?” Kyungsoo nods at the device on Baekhyun’s slender fingers.

 

“Well, technically we’re not exclusive yet, but we’re getting there, alright.”

 

Kyungsoo hums in acknowledgment. He silently hopes that Jongdae is nothing like Jonghyun or Chanyeol or any of his flamboyant friends that actually places bets on how long will they take to get pretty girls and boys in their dirty grasp.

 

Because Kyungsoo once fell for that.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo is sipping on his banana milk, feet dangling as he sits on the rather tall stool and eyes fixed on his cell phone as he scrolls down his Insta feed when a voice echoes through the kitchen.

 

“Look who’s feeding on milk when we both know you’re possibly not growing any taller.”

 

“Daddy, I’m drinking milk because I like it, okay?” That’s not exactly a lie, but he gives his father a pointed look anyway. “Also, I’m 17. I have a couple of years more for growth, if my body decides to grow any taller.”

 

“Sure, son,” Insung has a teasing hint in his voice, heading over to where Kyungsoo sits so he can get their ritual peck on the cheek before grabbing the stool across from his son and asking the maid for some juice.

 

“You’re home early.” Kyungsoo states, putting his phone on sleep mode and keeping it aside to give attention to his father, mindlessly drinking on his milk.

 

“Not much meetings today. I just have to finish some paperwork in my study,” The elder shrugs, thanking the maid for the drink. “How was school?”

 

“Just fine.”

 

“Did your mother call you?”

 

Kyungsoo straightens his back at the mention of his mother. “Today? No. Is she coming back?”

 

“No, she has a month left there,” Insung says, not missing the way his son’s shoulders deflate at the news. “But she said she has something important to tell you, son.”

 

“Something important?” Kyungsoo’s eyes gleam instead.

 

“Yes, though I’m not sure how important it could be aside than her affirmed date of coming back here.” The elder swirls the content in the glass with the straw before sipping it. “You seem rather excited about the mention of your mother coming home. Anything up?”

 

“I told her to get me that limited edition of Key’s latest backpack. The studded ones.”

 

Insung gives him a long stare. “…Okay. I don't know what that Key is—”

 

“It’s a person.”

 

“—Or who that is, for that matter.” Insung gives him the look. “All I know is that you’ve got to do something about your almost bursting backpack closet or they will all go to donations.”

 

Kyungsoo drops his glass of milk on the table dramatically.

 

Daddy.”

 

-

 

The boy is making his way up the stairs with a macadamia cookie in hand when he hears the giggling of presumably maids gossiping in the hallway. And when he turns a corner after the staircase, he was right when he sees three of the common maids whispering to each other while pointing to something over their large glass windows.

 

As Kyungsoo approaches them, the giggles die down and are replaced by sheepish smiles and hesitant eyes. Kyungsoo narrows his eyes at them before bringing his gaze to where the supposed subject of the ladies gossip.

 

Nothing interesting catches his attention though, so he goes back to scrutinize the group of maids just in time one of them perks up at the sight of something. So, he goes back to staring out the window.

 

This time, there is an obvious movement of a car driving into the parkway before stopping at the guest section, parking into an empty slot among other cars. Those vehicles mostly belong the staff working here. It’s not an unusual sight since people who work in their household tend to have shifts and when they’re not on any shift, they would either rest at their dorms or go out, and only return before the next allotted working time.

 

However, when Kyungsoo squints enough, the person on the driver’s end seems very familiar, and when the man steps out of the silver Swift, his suspicions prove correct when the younger male catches sight of none other than the new guy.

 

His new servant. Kim Jongin.

 

It’s more than a usual thing for maids to gossip about some hot guys working at their household, and Kyungsoo has no problem with that since he was never really able to get close to any of the male servants. But ever since the recent interview, he seems to notice some fresh faces around the house, and a good portion of them seems to be men. There’s a fairly good chance that his father is holding an internship program to slowly get the men up the chart and into the line of the company, but otherwise Kyungsoo has no idea.

 

-

 

The vibration of his phone almost gives him a mini heart attack and Kyungsoo curses under his breath before making a move to answer it. He drops his pen and calculator on his desk, shuffling towards his nightstand. Seeing that it’s an unknown caller ID, he frowns, but picks up nonetheless.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Oh, what do you know! I thought I was being lied to. Kyungsoo, you don’t know how hard I tried to get your number.”

 

Upon hearing that baritone voice, Kyungsoo closes his eyes and pinches his nose bridge, frowning. “…Chanyeol, unless you have something important to say, I’m hanging up.”

 

“But Kyungsoo—!”

 

End call.

 

Kyungsoo goes back to his homework, messing up his damp hair because wow, now he won’t leave me alone. He is going to headlock the person who gave him his number.

 

It started out with one drink. One became two, and without realizing it, the guy found him in the most vulnerable position and Kyungsoo almost didn't stop him. He’s just plenty grateful the sober part of him kneed Chanyeol in the groin and fled while the latter was groaning in pain.

 

A small beep from his phone distracts him from the numbers once again. It’s his Kakaotalk being invaded by emoticons from Chanyeol’s. Now that he has his number, he even has access to his Kakao ID.

 

Is this how it feels being stalked by someone? If it is, it .

 

He doesn't think blocking him would do much, in fact, it might trigger him to bug him more. So, with great reluctance, he switches off his phone entirely, staring at his reflection on the now black screen of his phone before tossing it lazily onto the bed. It bounces off the springs of its mattress and stops just near the edge of it.

 

Kyungsoo lets out a sigh he doesn't know he’s been holding. He brings his gaze at the opened Algebra book, revising the latest lesson doesn't sound so tempting anymore.

 

With a swift slide, his laptop is flicked on and there are several notifications and unanswered chats. He opens his Skype and there’s an incoming call.

 

Adjourning the call, Kyungsoo walks to the intercom beside his bedroom door, looking at the list of speed dials before pressing a particular number. There is a static sound, sort of like the sounds made from a walkie-talkie, before a stereo-ish voice is heard.

 

“Can I help you with something, Kyungsoo?”

 

The voice is deep and thick and Kyungsoo stalls a bit before answering, not expecting him to answer out of all maids. It’s probably his shift right now.

 

“…I want hot choc. And some cookies too, maybe.” He pauses for a bit before adding, “Send them to my room, I’m too lazy to go downstairs.”

 

There’s a breathy chuckle from the other side. “Right away.”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo is watching a rerun of Bones on his laptop when there is a crisp triple knock on his door.

 

“Come in.” He mutters without diverting his eyes from the screen.

 

He waits for the servant to fully close the door before taking him in. The man is still in his working attire, snug and most probably stuffy since it is already nighttime.

 

“Good evening, Kyungsoo.”

 

“Good evening.”

 

The elder takes just a few strides to reach the bed, placing the mug of hot chocolate and a small plate of cookies on the bedside before straightening himself up.

 

Kyungsoo still refuses to spare him the acknowledgment of his presence, pretending to be absorbed in dead bodies and detectives and whatnot. But curiosity gets the best of him anyway and so he hits the pause button.

 

He looks up just in time to catch Jongin’s expectant gaze on him, but just when the latter wants to speak something, Kyungsoo beats him to it. “What’s your working schedule?”

 

Jongin blinks confusedly, most definitely not expecting such a question.

 

Biting his lower lip, Kyungsoo scratches his chin. This cannot get any more awkward. “Uh, like, when are your shifts?”

 

“Ah, I take the morning and night ones, mostly.”

 

“Everyday?”

 

“Everyday on weekdays. I’m in charge of your mornings on the weekend too, but otherwise I’m free for the rest of the two days.”

 

That’s a bit tight, Kyungsoo thinks as he munches on a cookie. Weekends should be free days but that doesn't seem to be the case to some people like Jongin.

 

“Are you still studying?” He finds himself asking.

 

Jongin somehow feels the need to smile at that particular enquiry. “That is correct.”

 

“So, when you don't have shifts, you go to your classes?”

 

“Also correct.”

 

Only then that Kyungsoo starts to feel like he’s being too nosey, but just one more thing.

 

“Are you normally this uptight?”

 

There is that look, the look that Kyungsoo is sure crosses Jongin’s face for a second before it is gone, and he can’t tell what it means.

 

“Am I?”

 

“I mean, it’s probably because of the job nature, it’s just. It makes me feel… stuffy?” Kyungsoo doesn't even know what he’s trying to say. “Distressed?”

 

He’s frowning at the wall across from him, wondering about that word that just wouldn't pop up in his mind, and therefore doesn't notice the tiny smile on Jongin’s lips. So when he raises his line of vision and spots it, the younger boy huffs and sets to glare at the screen of his paused show.

 

“Never mind.” He bites out bitterly like a sulking child, taking another angry bite of the cookie.

 

“Perhaps it’s easier to say that I’d rather not take chances.” Jongin finally responds, but it sounds like a question at the end.

 

Tilting his head up, he narrows his eyes at the servant. “You mean you’re afraid I might get my dad to fire you? Is that why you’re so cautious?”

 

“Among others.”

 

“Auntie Joo twists my ear if I don't immediately get up in the morning, and she nags me when I steal cookies made for guests. And she has never gotten fired in the seventeen years I’ve lived.” Shrugging, he gobbles down the rest of the cookie, cheek stuffed.

 

And Kyungsoo can swear, through the loud crunching sounds in his mouth, that he hears a sound that closely resembles a snort. He quickly perks up, and true to his belief, the servant is hiding his smile behind his hand, looking away for a brief moment before returning his attention to the younger boy on the bed.

 

“Would you like me to do the same to you?” There’s a hint of playfulness in Jongin’s smile.

 

Kyungsoo almost chokes on his cookie at the retaliation, or rather, the offer. “N-no.” His cheeks rise in colour slightly at the thought of Jongin touching his... ears.

 

Suddenly, the Skype app on his laptop resounds through the air, alerting Kyungsoo that someone’s calling him. He clicks on the jumping icon and notices that it’s Minseok. He doesn't answer just yet, though.

 

Jongin seems to notice the retiring atmosphere and clears his throat. “Anything else I can help you with, Kyungsoo?”

 

So stiff, Kyungsoo cringes mentally. “No. You can go now.”

 

He watches him retreat to the door and close it softly. Grabbing the mug of the already warm hot chocolate, Kyungsoo answers the call and Minseok’s jubilant face fills up a part of the screen

 

“Took you long enough! Now where is he?”

 

“Screw you, Minseok.”

 

 

 


A/N : Some mistakes might be there. i havent actually proofread this chap.

Do drop some comments so I know this update doesn't bore you! And stay subscribed to see more of their development!